How do I disable other users' themes?

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

How do I disable other users' themes?

Postby Moxx » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:04 pm

This is a problem I encounter fairly regularly, and I keep searching for an answer, figuring surely in the years that this has been going on, someone must have asked about this and found a solution. However I've never been able to find an answer on the forum, so I'm just going to ask myself.

The problem: Some people make horrifically bad themes, that are fundamentally unreadable, or generally unpleasant to deal with. A simple example I just came across:

https://aryion.com/g4/view/427222

Breadcrumb background color vs foreground color (converted to HSL to make the comparison more obvious) is #d2a9df = hsl(286, 46%, 77%) vs. #ce9fe5 = hsl(280, 57%, 76%).

There's a very slight difference in hue, almost the same brightness, and only saturation has a mild separation. Unreadable. The same color combo is used on the favorites dropdown. Try to find the Previous and Next links. And, while a different color issue, try reading any tags that have been visited; the purple link against the purple background is pretty much unreadable.

Another issue (not from the above page) includes putting background images on the entire page, and then using semi-transparent text boxes for written stories. The combination is often unreadable.

The question: How can I completely and permanently turn off all custom theming used by other users? The default theme is perfectly fine. I don't care about making my own. I just don't want to have to deal with effectively broken web pages because people make retarded color choices.

As far as I can tell, custom user themes have their CSS embedded directly in the HTML of the page at the end of the <head> section, with nothing particularly identifying them (such as an attribute marking them as user CSS) to allow removal. I may be able to put together a Greasemonkey script to find and remove it, but I would normally expect something like this to be controllable using standard user settings.
Moxx
Been posting for a bit

Re: How do I disable other users' themes?

Postby Eka » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:08 pm

There is no option for turning off how the artist wants their site gallery to look like.

You can use your own third party plugin to alter css. Currently, this site has no support for those options.

A better option is probably to just explain to the artists why their theme is bad, or help them make a better one.
Eka
Administrator

Return to Technical stuff