Interactive Stories bug: Fatal error when changing link text

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Interactive Stories bug: Fatal error when changing link text

Postby Aces » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:11 pm

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create new page of an interactive story.
2. Add several links leading to an unfinished page (so it displays as a red link indicating it leads to a blank/nonexistent page).
3. Edit the original page with the red links.
4. Change the text.
5. Click save.
6. Error appears.
Code: Select all
Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'SqlException' in /home/aryion/public_html/iss/sql.php:28 Stack trace: #0 /home/aryion/public_html/iss/action.php(155): sql_query('UPDATE links SE...') #1 {main} Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint fails (`aryion_istory`.`links`, CONSTRAINT `links_ibfk_3` FOREIGN KEY (`story_id`, `to_page`) REFERENCES `pages` (`story_id`, `page_num`) ON UPDATE CASCADE) :: (UPDATE links SET title = 'Sit with Ava and Loki', to_page = 0 WHERE link_id = 42567) thrown in /home/aryion/public_html/iss/sql.php on line 28
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Re: Interactive Stories bug: Fatal error when changing link

Postby maleperduis » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:47 pm

As a secondary point, not good for security to bubble exceptions up to the UI like that.
maleperduis
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby KingKabal777 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:20 pm

maleperduis wrote:As a secondary point, not good for security to bubble exceptions up to the UI like that.

I agree. I would not recommend you release any fatal errors and security flaws, as you could end up causing a hacker who knows SQL and the like to exploit the vulnerability and deface the site. If you must copy the HTML or SQL error, it is best you send it to the administrators and not make it public.

I have technical skills in SQL and if I would see things like this, I wouldn't make it public. Need any proof in technical skills, DM me, but I will NOT use my tools for such that already has a vulnerability.
KingKabal777
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Halcyon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:35 pm

A similar error also appears if one tries to delete any pages.
Halcyon
???

Postby Eka » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:36 am

This is a known issue regarding to removing references and make pages inaccessible.

Meanwhile, just don't make pages inaccessible by removing reference should be a workaround for that problem.

Also none of the error messages has anything remotely sensitive. There's nothing worth worrying about.
Eka
Administrator

Return to Technical stuff