Is there any documentation of the chat markup?

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Is there any documentation of the chat markup?

Postby gullvy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

I've been using the chat for a while now, but I've noticed that other people have been doing some formatting that I haven't figured out how to do myself. For example, some people have their preferences sliders centered on their profile, but this does not seem to be possible to do via the profile editor - the HTML I write doesn't seem to have any effect on the sliders. There are also a few other things that I've been unable to figure out, and things that I've only found out from asking other users about them.

Is there anywhere I can go for documentation of the markup system, and other design tools? It feels a bit weird that the entire chat is entirely undocumented - unless I simply haven't looked in the right place.
gullvy
Somewhat familiar

Re: Is there any documentation of the chat markup?

Postby Knock » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:27 pm

There's very little in the way of documentation specifically for chat profile markup, you'll find. There is this topic with some absolute basics, but it doesn't go into much CSS. This is because well... it's just basic HTML and CSS, nothing else really to it. There's some styling automatically applied to each profile that can cause issues in some rare cases but I don't really think that's the problem with what you're doing. If you're new to it, my advice would be to right click with your browser and inspect a few profiles. You can view the CSS and HTML that goes into each one and potentially learn how another user did something you're curious about. If not, there are plenty of websites around to help you educate yourself on it. It's not particularly difficult, but if you're going into it blind without any experience you can expect to struggle a bit before you start to pick up the basics.

A 'basic' solution to centering your preference sliders isn't very difficult to add. Making it aesthetically pleasing is the part you'll likely have trouble with. A quick-and-dirty solution would be to add,

"#pref-sliders{margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;display:block;width:50%;}"

to the portion of your profile marked 'Stylesheet'. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I'd be glad to help you figure them out.
Knock
New to the forum

Postby gullvy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Well, I know how HTML and CSS work. It makes sense that I can use #pref-sliders to edit the properties of the preferences sliders... but how was I supposed to know that that's what the id is called to begin with? There's nowhere where it states that the preferences sliders are located in an object with id 'pref-sliders'. Similarly, I had to figure the autolinks (the ones with double brackets, e.g. [[character_name]]) out by asking someone else. Then there's also the name tag at the top of the page, which I don't know how to edit either.
gullvy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Eka » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:15 pm

gullvy wrote:Well, I know how HTML and CSS work. It makes sense that I can use #pref-sliders to edit the properties of the preferences sliders... but how was I supposed to know that that's what the id is called to begin with? There's nowhere where it states that the preferences sliders are located in an object with id 'pref-sliders'. Similarly, I had to figure the autolinks (the ones with double brackets, e.g. [[character_name]]) out by asking someone else. Then there's also the name tag at the top of the page, which I don't know how to edit either.

Those questions are addressed in the link Knock provided.
Eka
Administrator

Postby gullvy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:39 pm

I might just be blind, but I can't find anywhere on that page where it mentions autolinking via double-brackets, and I've read it from end to other 3 times now, skipping nothing, and even using ctrl+f to search. Similarly, I've been unable to find what id I should edit in order to edit the page header. 'pref-sliders' isn't mentioned on the entire page, either, and I searched for that too. There are a few additional links, but they're all to W3Schools. A single mention is made of something called 'C3 profiles', which I assume is the system being used to handle the profiles, but there is no information on what it can be used for.

Wouldn't it be smart to have a guide that tells people the functions of the system, such as [[autolinking]], and which id's to edit in order to customize their page?

Alternatively, please point those out to me. I read the page thrice, but I might still have missed them.

EDIT: To add onto all this, the "auto-html" checkbox that is mentioned in the guide doesn't seem to exist when I actually go to edit my profile. There's a checkbox labeled "Use HTML for profile body," but no checkbox for auto-html. Is the guide outdated? Because then it'd make sense.
gullvy
Somewhat familiar

Postby Eka » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:18 pm

gullvy wrote:I might just be blind, but I can't find anywhere on that page where it mentions autolinking via double-brackets, and I've read it from end to other 3 times now, skipping nothing, and even using ctrl+f to search. Similarly, I've been unable to find what id I should edit in order to edit the page header. 'pref-sliders' isn't mentioned on the entire page, either, and I searched for that too. There are a few additional links, but they're all to W3Schools. A single mention is made of something called 'C3 profiles', which I assume is the system being used to handle the profiles, but there is no information on what it can be used for.

Wouldn't it be smart to have a guide that tells people the functions of the system, such as [[autolinking]], and which id's to edit in order to customize their page?

Alternatively, please point those out to me. I read the page thrice, but I might still have missed them.

EDIT: To add onto all this, the "auto-html" checkbox that is mentioned in the guide doesn't seem to exist when I actually go to edit my profile. There's a checkbox labeled "Use HTML for profile body," but no checkbox for auto-html. Is the guide outdated? Because then it'd make sense.

This part is probably what you missed:

This tutorial is designed to be a crash course for the purpose of sprucing up profile pages on c3.
It is NOT how to make web-pages properly, nor does it cover even half of what you can do.

If you wish to learn more there are plenty of websites out there to help you. Here are just two:
http://www.w3schools.com/
http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/

As Knock already addressed. What you are thinking as "Chat markup" is not really specific to the chat. They are Basic HTML and CSS, there is no documentation for the chat-specific markup because they are not chat-specific, to begin with, we just use the same markup as every other site, you can see every id by using the build in "inspect element" feature available on almost every standard web browser, as an example.

Again, this site is not designed to teach you how to do web development.
Eka
Administrator

Return to Technical stuff