Chat profiles are loading images slowly

News for this website will be posted here. Mostly Technical.
Forum rules
This forum is for technical discussion regarding the portal and vore itself.

Generally speaking, if you have something that needs moderator attention, you should simply Private message Eka. That includes any bug report, error report, violation report, outage report, suggestion, feature request. Etc.

Most topics will be locked as soon as they are acknowledged. Due to the nature that not many people can do anything regarding a technical issue. In that case, if you need something unlocked for any reason. Feel free to message Eka directly.

Chat profiles are loading images slowly

Postby Rumor » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 pm

Windows 10 Firefox, profiles in the chatroom have really slow loading images, like I'm on 56k or something. Can confirm it's not my system or internet as I have zero trouble loading content on other websites, whether that be images, video, or audio.
Rumor
Somewhat familiar

Re: Chat profiles are loading images slowly

Postby Eka » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:40 pm

The problem is a few folds:

1. During certain time of the day, our server is actually fully saturated.

Capture.PNG

2. Depends on the profile, the files can be pretty big. Up to 10 MB.

3. Lately, people are starting to use PNG format (non-compressed) more and more as our internet speed advances. Unlike our gallery, we do not automatically compress an image and show a lower dimension one if you have a smaller screen (than the image itself)

Overall, having more traffic and serving higher quality images is a good thing!

We will be doing some extra mirroring servers to handle the bandwidth fairly soon and this issue should be minimized, there are no timeline for this at the moment, but it is one of the issue we will be addressing as soon as we can.
Eka
Administrator

Postby delete8234b » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:30 am

Doesn't this also have to do with the way HTML handles loading in images?
delete8234b
Somewhat familiar

Postby Eka » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Collier wrote:Doesn't this also have to do with the way HTML handles loading in images?

HTML doesn't actually handle loading images. Once HTML text is downloaded, it is up to the browser how to interpret the text. It is possible to rearrange the priority of image download, but in this context, HTML really isn't relevant to the speed of the resource downloading.
Eka
Administrator

Postby tigercloud » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:37 am

I think it's also a problem, that people uploading non-web-optimized (often png) images. Sometimes I see images with 5-10mb and 3000x3000, that's insane! I also had some in my gallery, shame on me! But I went out and optimized them (~50%-70% less file size)

They loading slowly that's true but I think it should be also our duty, to not waste the server ressources with all that unoptimized image loading. That's not really hard to opimize images for web without losing quality.

-> Scale down really big images, enlarge them and look if they are may to big to fit your screen :D I even see here sometimes images which are to large for my 4k monitor, that's insane! (Scaling down images by 50% makes an huge impact on the file-size)
-> Always save them in JPG-Format (except transparency is needed)
-> Use 90 - 95% Quality on JPG-Images (This already makes the file size way more slim)
-> If you want people to have the original image thats super fine, just add a link to the description where people can get it, if they want

I'm not very an expert when it comes to optimizing images, but these help me to get 50%-70% less file size without losing quality

Edit: But I noticed that there is a bug, when you reupload an image it doesn't refresh the file-size on the item info (sometimes it does)
Angel GTS Vore-Artist - My Gallery
---
Check out the Ekas Disinterest Filter
tigercloud
Participator

Return to Technical stuff