Help making an interactive story.

This forum revolves around interactive vore stories. You are free to promote interactive stories on this site and other sites and discuss them here.

Help making an interactive story.

Postby BitesizedAmy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:21 pm

Hello! I have gotten into reading interactive stories and would like to try one myself but I'm having a bit of difficulty with this and was wondering if some more experienced writers could help me or point me in the right direction.

I am wondering what formats there are out there I can use, I would prefer one that allowed for multiple choices that can lead to different outcomes for each encounter. I have started using quest but having issues there so if anyone experienced using that method I would love to chat with you too!
Last edited by BitesizedAmy on Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I recently started writing vore stories, check out my user page https://aryion.com/g4/user/BitesizedAmy
BitesizedAmy
New to the forum

Re: Help making an interactive story.

Postby Seifens » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:38 pm

If you're looking for something for a text based interactive story, I'd recommend Twine. I'm not too familiar with Quest, but from the games in it it seems built around the idea of making an old style text based adventure game with characters and rooms and inventories and whatnot. Twine is simpler and focused on the idea of nodes and links, which makes setting up branching narratives easy, with the option to enhance them with scripting and variables and such if you do want to get more complex.
Seifens
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Trebortron3 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:35 pm

I second the vote for Twine. As someone with extremely limited coding ability, I found Twine a lot more accessible - even moreso now they've had a recent update. Quest is wonderful if you can use it, but if you've got no experience in systems like that (like me when I started my interactive), it might be a bit overwhelming.

Basically all you need to know to make an interactive story in Twine is that you create clickable link to a new branch of the story by wrapping it in double square brackets [[Like This]]. And if you want to have text link to a page without using that page's title, you add an arrow after the link text, like this: [[Link Text->Page Name]]

With that one bit of code, you can create a full Twine interactive.

You may want a few variables to keep track of stuff, but that's also pretty straightforward.
Trebortron3
Participator

Postby BitesizedAmy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:07 am

Ok thank you both, I started playing with it now and it seems to be what I'm looking for. I don't really have any experience with coding myself so this seems like a much easier way to tell a story than quest.
I recently started writing vore stories, check out my user page https://aryion.com/g4/user/BitesizedAmy
BitesizedAmy
New to the forum

Postby TastyAce » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:32 pm

I also recommend Twine! I've been using it for my games for years, and it's a fabulous program. If you need help coding with it or would like any tips/feedback, feel free to DM me. Happy to help newbies where I can <3
I take writing commissions and create new vore games EVERY MONTH!

(The art of my crowsona in the banner is by RichardVRP.)
TastyAce
Somewhat familiar

Postby Lookingforthis » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:25 pm

*Aheam*

As the resident Quest Gamemaster in this site, I will say that Quests benefit from being more liberal in nature. Like, the more narrative driven a story is, the more being it benefits from being ran as a Quest rather then being coded. It's only once numbers start getting in the picture that having a program do calculations for you become more and more desirable. Plus. while being a good Game Master is a different skill set to being a good writer, it's not as far from writing as coding is.

Plus, there is a sense of community that you get from running a Quest that you just don't get from programming a game. With Coding, you just make what you have in mind. Maybe your players have input, but, really, it doesn't compare to Quests when it comes to collaborative story telling.
Lookingforthis
Been posting for a bit

Postby GastricAztec » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:13 am

I use Writing.com, but you must have a paid membership there to make an interactive story.

Their cheapest membership is $20/year, which isn’t bad.
Everyone has a plan until they end up in someone’s belly!
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: In the belly of a colossal cannibalistic co-ed collegian!

Postby TMVore » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:24 am

GastricAztec wrote:I use Writing.com, but you must have a paid membership there to make an interactive story.

Yeah, But you'd need a membership to read it without being sent to the "wait bench" every now and then, who mind you, Seems at random.
Amy might be better off with anything else, For it opens her to a far wider audience.
TMVore
Somewhat familiar

Postby GastricAztec » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:34 pm

JustDroppingANote wrote:
GastricAztec wrote:I use Writing.com, but you must have a paid membership there to make an interactive story.

Yeah, But you'd need a membership to read it without being sent to the "wait bench" every now and then, who mind you, Seems at random.
Amy might be better off with anything else, For it opens her to a far wider audience.

In another thread, I lament about the high cost of Writing.com. For what they give you for $140/year, they should be charging no more than $30/year.
Everyone has a plan until they end up in someone’s belly!
GastricAztec
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: In the belly of a colossal cannibalistic co-ed collegian!

Return to Interactive story