We are losing good content!

This forum revolves around interactive vore stories. You are free to promote interactive stories on this site and other sites and discuss them here.

We are losing good content!

Postby Redley » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:21 am

Recently i checked my writing.com watchlist after a long pause. And situation there looks horrible! Big awesome stories with tons of tasty content are just gone! Awesome The World of the Sentients is no more, beautiful Chris' Turn is erased, every of Presea's naughty ones is destroyed. I really liked them, coming back time to time, to read again. I never even expected to see them deleted. Now wayback machine have one page of ten and google cache have absolutely nothing. So all the content is completely lost. Ant this is not the first time, not first great interactives eliminated.

So, please! If there's a interactive story you like, backup it at least once! I know saving an interactive is far not as easy as copypasting a normal story. But still possible. It's pretty easy to create a offline version of any writing.com interactive with teleport pro. Or even do it manually with twine. http://www.gimcrackd.com/etc/src/ Interactives created there has no outline menu, but weights almost nothing, very easy to share.

Right now i'm backupping my personal favorites. Let's not lose any more of them. And sorry for my English.
Redley
Been posting for a bit

Re: We are losing good content!

Postby Throku » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:43 am

Makes me wonder why they got deleted. The ones I know about that has gotten deleted have all had very questionable contents with one exception where the owner lost his password, so after 3 or 4 years of him not logging on they deleted his account and thus the story as well.
Throku
May I take your order?

Postby Houyo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:06 am

I think writing.com deletes stuff if the account hasn't been logged into in a long time.
Houyo
???

Postby Redley » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:23 am

That's sad because interactives have much more than just one author. Not so fair system...
Redley
Been posting for a bit

Postby soline » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:26 am

It's horrible, but it's been happening for a VERY long time.

Humans in a Monster's World recently got deleted I think, I was stunned, it was the best non-[generic educational institution of]-vore story, and it was only updated a week or so ago..

Fuck knows how they delete stuff, things that haven't been updated in YEARS I get, sortof, but I've stillgot a few in my favourites with 500-800 days since last updated, and fresher ones have been deleted. I think the administration just sucks.

I /would/ shift to here and use the ones on this site, but....I just hate the layout SOOO much >.< I just can't bring myself to try and deal with it enough to contribute or write something.

Idunno...anyone think it'd be worth making a poll or trying to work with Leshana or something to make our Interactive place better and more appealing?
soline
---

Postby maleperduis » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:37 am

soline wrote:I /would/ shift to here and use the ones on this site, but....I just hate the layout SOOO much >.< I just can't bring myself to try and deal with it enough to contribute or write something.

Idunno...anyone think it'd be worth making a poll or trying to work with Leshana or something to make our Interactive place better and more appealing?

Our one already seems a lot better than writing.com in pretty much every way except audience. And maybe aesthetically, but I wouldn't say that's a big deal. Maybe we could feature it a bit more prominently? It's a bit hidden nestled under 'Other features' there.
maleperduis
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Redley » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:39 am

What? Humans in a Monster's World? Awwwww.... Writing.com, i hate you! :x
Also it sounds good if interactives at Eka's grow more comfortable and popular to attract authors who doesn't want to see their sand castles broken by bully-admins...
Redley
Been posting for a bit

Postby rarrawer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:27 am

I've been saving interactives for a while now, if anyone is interested i can upload copies of deleted ones.
I cant really provide the script i use because it's a terrible mess designed for my specific system configuration.
If anyone is intersted in collaborating to save these sorts of things I'm happy to provide disk space and bandwidth from my pc, as i already run a variety of downloader scripts.

EDIT: If you want me to add any interactives to my download todo list, just give me links to them.
rarrawer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Kumiko-chan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:31 am

Awwww.
Kumiko-chan
Been posting for a bit

Postby Redley » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:00 pm

rarrawer wrote:I've been saving interactives for a while now, if anyone is interested i can upload copies of deleted ones.
I cant really provide the script i use because it's a terrible mess designed for my specific system configuration.
If anyone is intersted in collaborating to save these sorts of things I'm happy to provide disk space and bandwidth from my pc, as i already run a variety of downloader scripts.

EDIT: If you want me to add any interactives to my download todo list, just give me links to them.

Do you have them? Oh thank you! I'd absolutely love to see Chris' Turn, Unique Marriage and Humans in a Monster's World again.
Also can you tell what you got? I bet there's interactives deleted so long ago, i can't even remember the titles... for example there was a very big macro one, deleted almost immediately i startet to read. And another big one with mostly F/F vore in it, where girl started with eating members of her family...
Redley
Been posting for a bit

Postby dragonfred » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 pm

when they delete account they should leave the store up for those who keep it updated
dragonfred
Been posting for a bit

Postby rarrawer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Due to the way my script saves things, I'm going to have to write a new script to find out what i have saved.
Will post links to the ones you've asked for if i have them when i've uploaded them.
Does anyone have a better way to host these than mediafire?

EDIT: Here is chris' turn: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?v9cmtti279x333v
Human in a monster world: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?rvgeafo2x32pdnx
rarrawer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Redley » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Oh thank you so much! I didn't really hoped to see those texts again.

Hmmm... is it such a crazy stupid idea to use Eka's engine, once again creating online and working version? This way interactive isn't just laying somewhere, it even may obtain some new chapters! I know i'm not the author, but hey! It's deleted! I see that as tribute, not theft. What do you think?
Redley
Been posting for a bit

Postby rarrawer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:00 pm

I'd like to see the interactives being expanded on, but i'd imagine it'd take a bit of work to move them to a new hosting system.
As far as anyone knows the authors were happy with their works being available, and AFAIK the stories getting deleted is some sort of automated cleanup of old accounts. If an author has a problem with their chapter being shared it'd be easy enough to just let them contact an admin with verification of identity and have it skipped over or something.

Anyway, here's a listing of what i've got saved, i basically add anything with vaguely good writing i come across.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?0cwbhgzadrjvgu6
rarrawer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Redley » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:26 am

Wow! Just wow! What a collection! Spended hours just to check it all. Sadly i don't even know or don't remember 2/3 of them. But those i do remeber as good ones:

When-Fairy-Tales-Go-Wrong
Down-the-Hatch
Macrophiles-Anonymous
Petting-Zoo
Hungry-Plushies
PokemonDigimon-Genital-Vore

Share them please!
About restoring stories i like the idea! Once i'll get a bunch of free time, i'll reupload at least Chris' turn.
Redley
Been posting for a bit

Postby rarrawer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:32 pm

It's a lot faster if you give me the ItemID number for them, as that is what the folders they are stored in are named, and there are a lot of them.
I'll be uploading a new listing with an easier to copy/paste ItemID once i've modified the code to make it.
I'll try to upload those ones, but please keep that in mind for future requests.
EDIT: New Listing page: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?0cwbhgzadrjvgu6
From now on I'll just dump the stuff in this folder:
Folder for writing.com: http://www.mediafire.com/?b6vmxc5c302y3
rarrawer
Somewhat familiar

Postby mouth111 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:20 pm

soline wrote: Humans in a Monster's World recently got deleted I think, I was stunned, it was the best non-[generic educational institution of]-vore story, and it was only updated a week or so ago..

this alone blew my mind, what a fucking waste of content. there was an author writing tons of HUGE chapters every few days of the best quality monstergirl vore and all of his shit just gets dumped in 1 day. on top of that he added tons of additions to like 2 more stories and those got removed as well. FUCK, how sad!

that alone convinced me to learn how to use WinHTTrack website copier and I backed all of my favorites up. It took me like 3 days to finally figure out and do it but at least now ive saved my favorites.
mouth111
Been posting for a bit

Postby mouth111 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:33 pm

rarrawer wrote:Due to the way my script saves things, I'm going to have to write a new script to find out what i have saved.
Will post links to the ones you've asked for if i have them when i've uploaded them.
Does anyone have a better way to host these than mediafire?

EDIT: Here is chris' turn: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?v9cmtti279x333v
Human in a monster world: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?rvgeafo2x32pdnx

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!
mouth111
Been posting for a bit

Postby Leshana » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:01 pm

I have not worked on the interactive story system in two years. I have thought about upgrading it to something that isn't so silly, but I don't know if people are really interested in using it. Nonetheless if you provide stories in a reasonable format (Perhaps a table of pages and a table of links) I will import them for you, provided the copyright status allows it.
Leshana
Apex-Predator

Postby HeroSoulSword » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:47 pm

It's been a while since I checked up on some writing.com stories. Though I still log into my account every so often to prevent what I've posted to suffer the same fate, it's sad to see good stuff go the way of the dodo. While most of those stories I'm not familiar with, I can obviously see that they were some of the better content. Writing.com can be both a blessing and a curse. A blessing in the form of pretty much limitless interactive opportunities and other stories, but a curse in how it's run. Seems like nothing lasts forever anymore. Shame, really, as even sites like wayback machine can't revive it (trust me, I've tried), so when it's gone, it's gone. Again, I'm not familiar with some of those stories (probably because my taste range was somewhat limited back then, eh, no pun intended), but it is sad to see good stories and whatnot get deleted due to lack of user activity. Hopefully we'll find a way to revive, or at least try to revive, some of that stuff.
I apply Felix's law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."
HeroSoulSword
I can think of something else

Location: Doing something heroic... if I can find anything needing it

Next

Return to Interactive story