How to Save a Writing.com Interactive Story?

This forum revolves around interactive vore stories. You are free to promote interactive stories on this site and other sites and discuss them here.

How to Save a Writing.com Interactive Story?

Postby -Stromae- » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:39 am

Hello everybody!

So there's this story I really like and I'd like to know if there was any way to save the chapters for future reading in case it got deleted, as writing.com tends to delete stories from time to time, no matter how old, long or popular they are.

Copying them and pasting on a Word document or anything like that seems like the most obvious option, but since the story has hundreds of pages it doesn't seem...convenient.

Is there any other way?
-Stromae-
Somewhat familiar

Re: How to Save a Writing.com Interactive Story?

Postby EmissaryOfRainbows » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:04 am

-Stromae- wrote:Hello everybody!

So there's this story I really like and I'd like to know if there was any way to save the chapters for future reading in case it got deleted, as writing.com tends to delete stories from time to time, no matter how old, long or popular they are.

Copying them and pasting on a Word document or anything like that seems like the most obvious option, but since the story has hundreds of pages it doesn't seem...convenient.

Is there any other way?

Not that I know of, maybe try an archiving site?
EmissaryOfRainbows
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby -Stromae- » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:29 am

Which ones do you recommend me?
-Stromae-
Somewhat familiar

Postby Rayo » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:43 pm

The WayBackMachine is the only one I know of that keeps records of website data
Rayo
---

Postby Birichino » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:09 pm

I just have a word file I save snippets of low-context action on. I don't look at it much though because I compulsively edit it to fix the grammar and is there any bigger waste of time?
Birichino
Advanced Vorarephile

Location: Mostly another plane of existence, sometimes Canada

Postby tod3690 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:20 am

I know a way, its a pain in the ass.
tod3690
---

Postby SinfullyHungry » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:06 am

There was someone here who designed a program to download interactive stories. Theres a thread somewhere
SinfullyHungry
Somewhat familiar

Postby rarrawer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:44 am

Hey, I'm probably the one who made the software you're talking about.

If you know some basic Python I'd be willing to send you the scripts I wrote to save things from writing.com, but I'm a bit hesitant to just post them to github or anywhere else public in case they decide the load is too much and write some code on their end to stop mine from working.
Just PM me if you want a copy.

I've also been downloading every interactive that contains certain keywords, such as "vore", "macro", ect.
If you want copies of what i've saved i'd be happy to send them to you, the main barrier is finding somewhere to host the zipped HTML i've saved

I'd also be happy to grab any specific stories you want with my scripts for you if you don't know how to use Python.
rarrawer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Vae » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:52 am

rarrawer wrote:Hey, I'm probably the one who made the software you're talking about.

If you know some basic Python I'd be willing to send you the scripts I wrote to save things from writing.com, but I'm a bit hesitant to just post them to github or anywhere else public in case they decide the load is too much and write some code on their end to stop mine from working.

I've also been downloading every interactive that contains certain keywords, such as "vore", "macro", ect.
If you want copies of what i've saved i'd be happy to send them to you, the main barrier is finding somewhere to host the zipped HTML i've saved

I'd also be happy to grab any specific stories you want with my scripts for you if you don't know how to use Python.

one of my favorites on Writing.fail was called 'Vore in the Suburbs." Is there any chance you've got that at easy access? I'd love to see it again, but its been at least a year since I last saw it up. probably longer, maybe a lot longer?
Vae
Somewhat familiar

Postby -Stromae- » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:46 pm

rarrawer wrote:Hey, I'm probably the one who made the software you're talking about.

That'd be fantastic.

As I don't know how to use Python I think it'd be good if somebody who did know about it dealt with the procedure...I don't know what could happen if I screw this up, heh

I'll contact you privately.
-Stromae-
Somewhat familiar

Postby rarrawer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Vae wrote:one of my favorites on Writing.fail was called 'Vore in the Suburbs." Is there any chance you've got that at easy access? I'd love to see it again, but its been at least a year since I last saw it up. probably longer, maybe a lot longer?

Is this it?
Attachments
1752046-Voreinthesuburbs.zip
(275.47 KiB) Downloaded 1046 times
rarrawer
Somewhat familiar

Postby rarrawer » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:40 am

I just finished uploading a few thousand processed interactives, here's a link.
~600 to 700 MB
https://mega.nz/#!7lYTzITS!2tX5PMAzJVKG ... _0mpr6VqYI
rarrawer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Journeyman » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:58 am

https://www.httrack.com/
or
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... scrapbook/

Should do the trick.

I once wrote one specifically for writing.com, but I haven't used it in years--probably doesn't quite work anymore, since I recall doing some specific format checking to grab the right links from pages. Haven't updated that program in years, though, ever since writing.com deleted the 80 some-odd chapters I'd written for interactives via the deletion of the stories. If they ever decide to revise their policy and to stop deleting highly active stories on the basis that the original story starter is inactive, maybe I'd go back? But honestly, we should probably just build 'em all here.
Journeyman.
Journeyman
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby rockysavannah » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:06 pm

rarrawer wrote:I just finished uploading a few thousand processed interactives, here's a link.
~600 to 700 MB

Thank you so much!!
Link to my other accounts: linktr.ee/rockysavannah
Off-site email: [email protected]
My Discord profile username is: rockysavannah#9743
rockysavannah
Been posting for a bit

Postby zerothx16 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 pm

I am trying to save an interactive story from writing.com. Its annoying because I found many that could save the story, but the one I want to download asks for my login password and it screws the whole program up. Is there really no easy way to save interactives from the website? Its a shame hardly anyone responds to the issue, and has simple methods. I used HTTRACK btw, but I cant get it to use my password for writing.com
zerothx16
Somewhat familiar

Postby whitetights » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:25 pm

rarrawer wrote:I just finished uploading a few thousand processed interactives, here's a link.
~600 to 700 MB

You probably won't see this message, but thank you sooo much for doing this backup. Thanks to you I was able to found an old story that had been recently deleted.
whitetights
New to the forum

Postby rarrawer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:27 pm

Here's a more recent set of built interactives which you might be intereted in: posting.php?mode=quote&f=22&p=2710847
It's from 2018 instead of 2015
rarrawer
Somewhat familiar

Postby rarrawer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:33 pm

If there's some arvhival thing you want to talk about feel free to PM me.
PMing me is pretty much the only way to get me to notice with any sort of reliability.

As it stands I have been using a different download and storage setup this year that is not yet compatable with my parser and linker tools.
It loses in immediate accessability but gains a lot in completeness of the download. (It's now invoking wpull dumping to WARC instead of pure-python HTML saving)
rarrawer
Somewhat familiar

Postby whitetights » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:42 am

Thank you, rarrawer. I've been archiving all writing.com stories on wayback machine and I made a Google spreadsheet with them all (trying to organize and so on), and I used many stories that you had archived, so thank you very much. While doing that, I ended up finding out that, it turns out that there were a lot of stories that were deleted from the site and that someone had archived them, going through the wayback machine's register I was able to savage many chapters from old stories that it was thought to no longer existed. Like this one, for inance:

https://archive.org/download/00000_2019 ... 68532.html

For those interested, you can check the old stories that I was able to savage (notice that most them are incomplete, but many of them have a considerable number of chapters, like 500, 600, etc... also, while browsing through it, stick up with the index page that I created, otherwise you will find a lot 404 errors)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =428521288

And I'm also archiving current stories, you guys can check them here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... O0VnE/edit
whitetights
New to the forum

Return to Interactive story