Trying to learn to use Quest

This forum revolves around interactive vore stories. You are free to promote interactive stories on this site and other sites and discuss them here.

Trying to learn to use Quest

Postby Thagrahn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:09 pm

I've hit s spot of writer's block with the details of my current interactive story, and decided to try learning to setup Quest to see if I could do a better version or sequel in there without so much copy-n-paste needed.

The playable character as well as the characters for the encounters will need some basic stats, some of which will need to be modified by equipment.

Was wanting to know if anyone had any advice on how to pull this off, or if there was anyone else learning to use quest.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Re: Trying to learn to use Quest

Postby nanakra » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Never heard of it. Sounds interesting though.
Tried to do a google search for it, but turned up too many non-relevant links for it.
You wouldn't happen to have a link to the website?
Where to find me - My Link Tree | Discord: Nanakra#6922

On the development team for: Predator's Coliseum An RPG Maker vore game
nanakra
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Thagrahn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:45 pm

http://textadventures.co.uk/quest

Usually the first link to pop up for me, but the full name of Quest Interactive Fiction may be needed for the first search.

It is related to a program called Squiffy.

Trying to read throughout the forums and tutorial, but not really understanding how to get the results I am looking for.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Noxyoursox » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:33 pm

I hadn't seen this before, but it looks really cool so I will try it too! :) It looks like player stats can be added from "game", and altered if you create scripts to do so. For example, cause the player stats to change when you "equip" or "unequip" an object in your inventory (once you have done so they will remain static until changed again). I'm not really sure what kind of advice you need beyond that--if you have any programming experience at all this should be pretty easy once you figure out where everything is, while if you don't you may need to look at a newbie-friendly tutorial for another language (most languages basically do the same thing, but with different names and syntax for everything). http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ is an excellent C++ tutorial that explains a lot of programming basics.
Noxyoursox
Participator

Postby Thagrahn » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Can't really get the feel for the program yet, but also can't tell if I'm over thinking things.

I learned some coding in Action Script and C++

Quest doesn't seem to be based on either coding language, but seem to be similar in some ways to Action Script in needing some thing to already exist while creating other's when needed.

If anyone can tell what the coding language is, that would help the most.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Thagrahn » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:08 pm

Okay. After digging around and experimenting a little, I have found the scripting tools have an un-learning curve to them for those of us that have had experience with programming languages and coding.

Quest is set up so that you need to think more like when doing the pseudo-coding for your layout. What do you what to have happen, what reaction should there be for the player to receive, and what are all the steps to get to the desired result.

Got to be careful about over-thinking with this tool when starting out, but the scripting and open source code allow for a lot of creativity.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Quest5022 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:37 am

Don't use me
Quest5022
New to the forum

Return to Interactive story