Writing an interactive.

This forum revolves around interactive vore stories. You are free to promote interactive stories on this site and other sites and discuss them here.

Re: Writing an interactive.

Postby Assimilation » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:36 am

Saftkeur wrote:
Myconid32 wrote:
Iyeru wrote:
This also means that a choose your own adventure styled story (with pre-written endings for each choice) is not the same as an interactive story.

Are we allowed to write Choose-Your-Own-Adventure stories on this site, or do we have to leave some threads open for others to contribute?

I'd like to second this question, since there doesn't seem to be any particular set of rules for the Interactive Story portion of the site. I've had a bit of interest in creating a (relatively simple) Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story, but finding a venue to write it on is tricky! deviantART can work, if you put the choices in the deviation description below the story (and upload each chapter separately). I haven't used Writing.com before, but as far as I'm aware, that has all the tools you'd need. Both of them have rules regarding story content, though, if I'm not mistaken.
Writing things up right here on Eka's seems like it could be the best choice (minus the inability to have comments or favorites on your story), but is there an option to prevent others from adding to your story? Can you just go and delete additions you don't like? And what's the etiquette on doing so? I wouldn't want to use the Interactive section to write a not-so-interactive story unless that's something that's absolutely okay, it feels like abuse otherwise.

Just do it. The tools allow you to do certain things and don't allow you to do other things. Find out what you can and can't do, and that should determine what you are allowed and disallowed to do. If nothing else, your Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story would be an artistic deviation from the medium designed to produce Interactive Stories, and might stand up on those merits alone. You might inspire a slew of other CYOA stories and they eventually take equal space, and the tools would be modified by Leshana or whomever to allow for greater control over the interactive section so you can make CYOA instead of true interactives.

Don't ask for permission unless it has a strong potential to hurt or upset someone.
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Vaporeon14 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:51 pm

how do you start one?
Vaporeon14
New to the forum

Postby chobitzrabbit » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:56 am

I'll be honest, I only briefly skimmed previous comments and I didn't spend too much time searching different threads for an answer, but something has been bugging me..

Obviously you can watch a story for updates, once you have initially found it..
But do we really have No search function for interactive stories??
When you go to the interactive story section, it just seems to be one giant page with every story lumped together.
I figured it would be normal to expect tags on the stories and a way of searching stories, much like the search function from Eka's home page which brings up everything tagged with a word.
I don't exactly like the idea of going through every story to find out if it's a something I want to read Or Not..

Is anyone working on a tagging system/search function..? Or is this just the way it is?
chobitzrabbit
Participator

Postby darkravenomens » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:08 pm

It's been asked half a dozen times but still no one has bothered to explain how to start an interactive. I've found it, but others clearly never did.
Would you like to play a game? *insert cheshire cat grin*
"No cat anywhere, ever, gave anyone a straight answer."
"Everyone's mad here."
darkravenomens
Somewhat familiar

Postby darkravenomens » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:11 pm

*You have to scroll all the way to the bottom at http://aryion.com/iss/

There's a lot of material there and it's easy to miss the fact that the tools are at the bottom rather than the top.
Would you like to play a game? *insert cheshire cat grin*
"No cat anywhere, ever, gave anyone a straight answer."
"Everyone's mad here."
darkravenomens
Somewhat familiar

Postby Thagrahn » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:14 pm

No way for readers to comment on the page or story?

How are reader suppose to tell the writers what they like about the story as it progresses?

How are writers to know if the readers are enjoying the story? Feedback is so good for the motivation to keep writing.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby maker7k » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:46 pm

I'd like to put in my two cents about interactives...
I only have two overarching gripes, and that is the original writer's willingness to create, and the community/reader's understanding of the story. Both have their high points and low points.

If you use a system where others can add to the story, like writing.com
  • Give a solid foundation. Provide main characters, their relations and appearances, the setting and clear rules.
  • write your own story, don't leave open all the chapters to be written by the reader. Make a main arc or two to follow, and leave some options for those "what if" scenes. Add to those later though. You can leave options open for others to add to, but it is your story.
  • Give detail. The story shouldn't have those one sentence chapters! Beef them up with detail. How does the texture feel when eaten, does it smell, facial expression, dirty talk, the atmosphere of the room, literally anything that is relevant for the chapter, add it!
  • Monitor and fix your story. If others can openly add to it, there is bound to be a clash of pacing, as well as the inevitable spelling and grammatical errors. Edit the chapters that need it, and delete the ones that break your rules or ruin the story.
Community assisted interactives are great and can open the door to new ideas and more lovely scenarios. When writing them, you need to maintain them. This goes for the people who add to them as well! If you find a branch in the story you love, and it is open, add to it and give that arc life. Give details, check your spelling, and treat it as if it was your own story. However, if you do notice the laziness of the original poster mooching off everyone else as he just reads chapters written for his own story, please consider writing your own story. Then you can maintain and groom it to your liking.

However, if you are using a system where others cannot add to the story, the same thing applies with it comes to giving detail and fixing your story, but you won't be able to get anyone else to fill your "empty" chapters. Solo interactives are a tool to showcase one person's ability to create a unique world, while not limiting it to a single story. Do the main character(s) go and find the missing princess, or do they ignore the call to action and get drunk? Don't leave it as a yes or a no situation, just like the world, the possibilities are endless.

I have been using writing.com to add to others stories, and I have been writing my own on Word. There have been a lot of great points in this thread, I think Throku, Deathworks and Fragtagonal are right on the money with their posts. Thagrahn and Chobitzrabbit are also right, writers need feedback for their work, and readers need to be able to find these stories to enjoy and give feedback!
maker7k
Been posting for a bit

Postby Spunkomatic66 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:15 pm

Two quick questions:

-#1, like somebody else asked, why is there no comments section or ability to favorite interactives? I feel like that'd add to the community aspect and integrate them better like other drawings or writings, whereas right now they feel very isolated and off to the side.

-#2, why does only some of the BBCode work in interactives? I'd love to add colored text and working links and such to my interactive, but it won't work.

As for tips, I tend to like things with images which do work in the interactives section, so if you can make or find something that works in yours, it might be worth providing the visual aid.
Spunkomatic66
Participator

Postby MerrySue1982 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:01 pm

I think the problem with writing.com is it actual cost money to start an interactive story. Therefore, I think it's not suited for community projects.
Eka's portal on the other hand just is way too messy. Finding a story is kind of difficult. And even allowing other to add chapters is kind of complicated.
I tried to use eka's more than once but quickly lose interest. Because in the end it will be a solo project, if I do a solo project anyway there are better options as this kind of messy forum section.
MerrySue1982
Participator

Postby alockwood1 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:13 pm

Okay, while it does cost money to start an interactive these days on WdC, currently, if you have Basic Membership, all chapters can have at least three options, while those with Upgraded or higher can make 5 options (or, if you're a Free person, and the Interactive Owner has the higher membership, one can ask them to add the additional options in).

So, if you have a decent job, and a credit/debit card, and can save $15 per month, you'll have more than enough to get Premium Membership, which grants one quite a bit for the price.
alockwood1
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Assimilation » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:10 am

alockwood1 wrote:Okay, while it does cost money to start an interactive these days on WdC, currently, if you have Basic Membership, all chapters can have at least three options, while those with Upgraded or higher can make 5 options (or, if you're a Free person, and the Interactive Owner has the higher membership, one can ask them to add the additional options in).

So, if you have a decent job, and a credit/debit card, and can save $15 per month, you'll have more than enough to get Premium Membership, which grants one quite a bit for the price.

The issue with WdC is that it's always been just shy of downright hostile to non-paying users of the site. Even if the site were smooth sailing for anyone who pays, which it hasn't always been in the past decade-and-a-half that this problem has been going on for, the reality of most community projects (such as an vore interactive) is that if volunteers (writers) have to pay to contribute their efforts, they're simply not going to have many people contribute. Interactive stories are built on the give-and-take, where a reader follows the branch they like and gets inspired to grow it further—having low readership due to a paywall barrier means those interactive stories never gets their days in the sun.

Just to make sure, I logged in right now and clicked an in-site email for a story I've contributed to before. As always, the frame loaded up the ol' "Interactive Stories are temporarily unavailable to visitors and free members" with a page's worth of explaining all those lovely benefits of spending money.

Interactives used to be my favorite form of vore content because they felt lower-pressure than short stories, but I've pretty much given up on checking them out in the past several years because every site that hosts vore interactives, including this one, makes it far less user-friendly to check up on or browse effectively through compared to hosted image and writing galleries.
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby alockwood1 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:00 pm

Assimilation wrote:
alockwood1 wrote:Okay, while it does cost money to start an interactive these days on WdC, currently, if you have Basic Membership, all chapters can have at least three options, while those with Upgraded or higher can make 5 options (or, if you're a Free person, and the Interactive Owner has the higher membership, one can ask them to add the additional options in).

The issue with WdC is that it's always been just shy of downright hostile to non-paying users of the site. Even if the site were smooth sailing for anyone who pays, which it hasn't always been in the past decade-and-a-half that this problem has been going on for, the reality of most community projects (such as an vore interactive) is that if volunteers (writers) have to pay to contribute their efforts, they're simply not going to have many people contribute. Interactive stories are built on the give-and-take, where a reader follows the branch they like and gets inspired to grow it further—having low readership due to a paywall barrier means those interactive stories never gets their days in the sun.

Just to make sure, I logged in right now and clicked an in-site email for a story I've contributed to before. As always, the frame loaded up the ol' "Interactive Stories are temporarily unavailable to visitors and free members" with a page's worth of explaining all those lovely benefits of spending money.

Interactives used to be my favorite form of vore content because they felt lower-pressure than short stories, but I've pretty much given up on checking them out in the past several years because every site that hosts vore interactives, including this one, makes it far less user-friendly to check up on or browse effectively through compared to hosted image and writing galleries.

Strange - I know of some Free Members that still add every now and then.
alockwood1
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby alockwood1 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:31 pm

Assimilation wrote:

Funny enough, based on reports of those still on the site, there's more interactives than ever, and the quality of them is likewise higher than ever. Also, interactives that were made pre-Paid Member Only were grandfathered into staying. It's just that SM and SMs tended to get annoyed at seeing accounts that are inactive, yet fill up with mail from interactives.
alockwood1
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Setokaiva » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:25 pm

I've had some luck using the Quest interactive text game engine to make interactives. It's old and can take some getting used to, but it's quite intuitive, FREE, and has straight-up support for publishing on Quest's site. I'm not sure about getting it to work with other things, but I've been able to read stories on Quest's website without the engine, so I'm sure it converts it to some kind of language our browsers can understand.
Setokaiva
New to the forum

Previous

Return to Interactive story