The Kied Chronicles - (Zephyr42 and Arta_Strike)

This board is for forum based Private roleplay. Participation of roleplay here should be arranged ahead of time

Moderator: penguintacolampshade

The Kied Chronicles - (Zephyr42 and Arta_Strike)

Postby Zephyr42 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:20 am

In another time, in another place, there were two countries: Kied and Lairene. For several decades, the two were poor neighbors. If the two weren't at war with each other, it was only due to larger worries. Both were strong, though, and neither could conquer the other.

Eventually, after centuries of fighting, that changed. One stormy night, Kied gained a new queen: a tactical and magical genius. Immediately, she went to war with Lairene, and the result was more devastating than had ever been seen. Combined with a surprise influx of supplies that no-one could account for, the conquest of Lairene was swift and total. On the day of the surrender, the Kingdom of Kied became an Empire, and the new Empress pledged not to stop until the entire world was under her control.

Now Lairene is only a protectorate. New laws have been forced over the old ones, and new customs have been set up over the old ones. The most pressing of these is the gladiator games. Citizens of certain classifications can be placed into these, and they are not guaranteed to last long. Many don't.
Zephyr42
Advanced Vorarephile

Re: The Kied Chronicles - (Zephyr42 and Arta_Strike)

Postby Arta_Shrike » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:56 am

The name of Lairene still hung heavily on the hearts of many who now abided under Kied's reign. Many who had called Lairene their motherland had fought valiantly for her. Of course, many of those had not lived to see Kied's victory, but of those who had survived, they held closely to the stories of valiant resistance, of cities defended, of battle-cries in the night, of sudden windfalls and spots of hope before all came down around them. They shared these tales with any who would listen, as for many of them, it was all they had left.

Not all could find a willing ear, however. Many of the surviving defenders of Lairene had been taken as prisoners of war, though for Kied the difference between prisoners and spoils was barely visible. Only a scarce few had the connections to negotiate release or barter a ransom. Many of the weaker or injured ones were sold off like common market meat or else executed as a display of the Empress's total control. Of those still able-bodied, many were put to work as common chattel-slaves, either in the fields beneath the heat of the sun, or within the factories hammering out the machina components that were to Kied's dreams of expansion what blood was to a mortal.

Some were spared these harsh fates and given a much kinder option. One that would allow them to choose their own destiny, if only they were determined to fight for it. A gladiator in the arena who fought with valor and pleased the crowds could win the eye of the Empress herself and earn not merely freedom, but citizenship, with all the rights and privileges that implies.

Or, at least, that was what the serpentine merchant had said once he'd handed over a small fortune to purchase Laus as a slave.

Laus sat down in the dust of the training grounds, letting his wooden practice sword drop to the sand as he picked up the waterskin, praying it wasn't made from anyone he'd known. The anthro lion was allowed precious few breaks between the endless forms an sparring sessions, and he intended to enjoy it as much as he was permitted.

His thoughts wandered, as they often did, back to the moment everything changed. He had been stationed in front of the high court of the city he'd lived in his whole life. It was supposed to be a lucky position, one that wouldn't see action unless the front lines and secondary defenses were broken through. They were.

Laus had held strong, focusing primarily on his shield, pushing the Kied invaders down for his brothers-in-arms to finish off. He had gone toe-to-hoof with a bull, and had been about to disarm him, when someone he had not seen flanked him. He had managed to parry the newcomer, only to give the bull the opening to ram the pommel of his sword into Laus's forehead.

Back in the present, Laus brushed the dust off his reddish fur, and reached up to do the same for his thick crimson mane when his hand brushed the scar on his forehead. The merchant had specifically refused to heal it, saying that it would give Laus a look of fierceness. But sitting in the sand, spending his nights locked in a cell and his days trained to entertain of a bloodthirsty crowd, he did not feel especially fierce.

With a twitch of an ear, Laus opened his eyes. The other gladiators were quieting down and moving away from him. It did not take him long to guess the reason, but he prayed he was wrong. Turning, he cursed himself for being right. There, standing on the observer's deck looking down on the grounds, was a hooded cobra in merchant's clothing, a strange set of partially mechanical spectacles on his nose and a smile on his face. It was Malus, Laus's owner. There were a few other people, but none Laus recognized and none whose face summoned such rapid revulsion. Malus beckoned to the lion, urging him over. Laus sighed. He let the snake wait while he finished the contents of the waterskin, then reluctantly got up and walked over below the deck.
Arta_Shrike
Been posting for a bit

Postby Zephyr42 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 pm

The water skin wasn't actually made out of someone who'd been alive, but that made for terrific propaganda, so the government didn't combat it. Aside from which, they already had slavery, gladiator fights, and consumption of the unwilling, not like using slaves for components would've been too much worse. And if someone decided to violently complain, they could easily deal with it. So they just let the misunderstanding slide.

Malus smiled at his new gladiator. So many slaves would still be whining about their freedom being lost or their lives being over. This guy, though... whatever his name was, he got on with his life. He put his all into his new life, and that was excellent.

When Laus looked up, Malus smiled back. He then slithered his way down to the pit, coiling himself on the railing so that he could descend the last few feet to the sand of the training arena. "Well done, lad," he called as he trailed under the deck. "Keep that up, and you'll be valuable enough to contract." Certain slaves were often recruited by the arena itself, often the best of the best, and the arena paid well.
Zephyr42
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Arta_Shrike » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Laus strove to maintain a neutral expression as he watched the reptile descend to his level. He pondered for a moment how foolish it was for Malus to get close to him. Even with the added body mass from his serpentine tail, the cobra was almost certainly no match for the lion. Perhaps he trusted the pit guards would protect him, or perhaps the people back on the observation deck were bodyguards, or perhaps he believed Laus to not yet be so desperate to sign his own death warrant for the sake of petty revenge. Either way, he was right - Laus had no desire to be owned by the cobra, even less to fight for him, but the desire to live to fight another day was a strong one, so he stood still, crossed his arms, and let Malus gloat over his new possession.

Suddenly, Laus did a double take back to the observation deck. There were two men there who he had assumed were bodyguards, but a second look showed them to be wearing the uniform of imperial guards, identical to those Laus saw when he had first been led into the city in chains. They were not the ones who caught his eye, however. Between them, there was a girl. A fox? No, the fur was too tan, and even though she was holding them downward, Laus could see her ears were quite large. A fennec, then. Laus first assumed she must be Malus's consort, but her dress was far to shabby for that. What on earth was she doing here? By her size, Laus could barely tell if she was an adult. The thought she was a gladiator was laughable.

Setting his curiosity aside for now, he turned back to Malus. "Glad you like what you see, sir," he said, putting a little extra emphasis on the last word. "But if I may be so bold, you didn't come here to watch me stab strawmen. The pit captain sends you weekly reports. So, sir, to what do I owe the pleasure of your presence?"
Arta_Shrike
Been posting for a bit

Postby Zephyr42 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Malus shrugged. "Perhaps I want to see how my new gladiator is faring," he suggested. "But it's true, there is another reason I am here."

He turned his head and let out a whistle. A set of stairs formed out of the observation deck and the guards brought the fox down. "This is your new partner," Malus said, motioning to the fox. "Her name's Tela... I forget her last name. She's a life mage, and a convicted traitor, so I got her cheap!"

He smiled as he slithered over and clapped her on the back. Briefly, and he quickly moved away. "I cannot tell a lie, you have potential, but so does Khal." Khal owned a small company of slaves, but they were all domestics up until recently. "Thus, the partner."
Zephyr42
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Arta_Shrike » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Laus let his jaw fall slack as he heard Malus's pronouncement. He glanced over the fox in disbelief. He looked as though he might say something to her, but changed his mind, and turned back to Malus.

"You're entering me in the doubles matches?!" Laus growled, his practiced composure draining away. "You confoundable reptile, I've been training for solo martial matches, and with my first match mere days away, you expect me to have the time to train to fight alongside a parter, one you got from the discount mart, no less!" The lion angrily turned to take a closer look at Tela, noting her short stature, the bright sheen to her fur, and the slight extra fluff she bore. "Have you been in a fight in your entire life? Are you even of age?!"
Arta_Shrike
Been posting for a bit

Postby Zephyr42 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:08 am

Malus shrugged. "Have fun." With that, he turned and slithered away, his guards walking between him and his slaves. That left Tela completely alone as Laus unloaded his rage on her.

She did nothing. Her expression didn't change. She didn't even look up in Laus's eyes no matter how close he got or how loud. "I am of age," she droned in response. "And I am a practiced life mage. I have worked with the city guard in three high-risk operations and I have participated in three years of emergency medicine."
Zephyr42
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Arta_Shrike » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:03 am

Laus looked back toward Malus as his tail disappeared from view and the mechanical stairs retracted back into the deck. "Hells..." he muttered between clenched teeth.

He turned back to the fox. "Tela, was it? I apologize, you did not deserve to bear my wrath like that." He sighed. "But what I said holds true. We've both just been thrust into very unfavorable circumstances. It sounds like you aren't unskilled, but even so, for us to survive we have precious little time to learn one another's movements, how to compensate for each other's weaknesses, and how to communicate in the heat of battle. Go over to the weapons rack, pick something you like, and come spar with me."

Laus walked over to pick up his wooden sword, then turned back to Tela. He noticed the scar on her lip, and decided to talk while they fought. "So Tela, if I may, how does someone who worked so closely to the city guard go from that to slavery for treason?"
Arta_Shrike
Been posting for a bit

Postby Zephyr42 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:23 pm

Tela nodded in understanding, then turned to the weapons rack. Slowly, she walked over, but she paused in front of the weapons rack. For several long moments, she just looked at the weapons. Finally, though, she picked a blade at random and walked over to Laus. She was slow with the weapon, and soon began to sweat.

"I..." She paused for a moment, focusing on Laus's moves and trying to block his blows. She failed. "I don't want to talk about it."
Zephyr42
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Arta_Shrike » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:02 pm

Laus gave a grunt. This Tela was agile enough, but she clearly had little experience with weaponry. Lesson learned, it would be a poor idea to leave her unguarded during a fight. Which meant he would have to focus on deflecting two opponents at once while also minding his healer. Which meant he was probably doomed.

"Very well," Laus said. "We might not live long enough for it to matter, anyway. Now, this isn't working out for you. Go back to the rack, put that thing back and get something you'll actually be able to handle. I recommend a dagger, possibly a spear. I've got a different training idea. You're a life mage, Malus will expect you to heal me. So I'm going to wound myself, then attack that dummy. Let's see if you can heal me while I feint around it, and then see if you can't predict my movements. Try to move around and poke at the dummy without sticking me." With that, Laus brought his forearm to his mouth and bit down, wincing, but holding until he drew blood. Then, brandishing his weapon, he turned and began to lay into the dummy, moving with power and grace, even as he let his injured arm hang at his side.
Arta_Shrike
Been posting for a bit

Postby Zephyr42 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:40 pm

Again, Tela simply nodded as she went back to the rack. She picked up a spear, carefully weighing it in her hands before bringing it into position. After Laus bit himself, Tela instantly shot off a bolt of magic. Between heartbeats, the toothmarks had vanished, as had the blood. Not a trace of the injury remained. In the next moment, she leapt at the dummy. The technique was sloppy, but it landed true.
Zephyr42
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Arta_Shrike » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:05 am

Laus paused. He glanced at his forearm, then to Tela. As he had already become used to the idea of Tela as a burden, he had been unprepared for this sudden burst of competence.

"Not bad..." Laus said. "But it's one thing to battle a dummy. It's another to go against a living opponent. I'm going to prod one of the other gladiators to spar with us. Your job is to stay behind me at all costs, using your spear when you can. We're just using practice weapons, so while healing's unnecessary, I'd like to see what else you can do. Can you summon tangleweed? Cast sleep charms? Instill an irresistible lust? ...bees? I don't know, I've never had much talent for magic, but the more tools we have to work with, the better."

Laus turned and scanned over the fighters training in the pit. Who to pick, who to pick...his eyes landed on a hyena, who was a bit shorter than Laus, wielded a sword, and wore a manic, nearly feral expression on his face. Tough, quick, but weak-willed. Perfect.

"Hey, dung breath!" Laus challenged. "Get your hide over here and spar with me!" Laus brandished his wooden sword and bared his teeth as the hyena turned and growled back.
Arta_Shrike
Been posting for a bit

Postby Zephyr42 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:18 pm

"I was a medic," Tela told her new partner. "My spells focused on healing. But I also studied some basic offensive spells. Give me a chance to see if I remember them."

As her partner challenged the hyena to fight, Tela readied her spells, trying to remember how to cast the Life Leach spell. She couldn't remember it off the top of her head. Instead, she fired off a diagnosis spell, to buy time. The spell would focus on physical maladies, allowing her to try and glimpse weak points, previous injuries, but it would also do a quick scan of the mind's activity. It couldn't read thoughts, but it could gauge emotions.
Zephyr42
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Arta_Shrike » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:37 am

CLACK!

Laus and the hyena met, their wooden swords crossed, and their gaze met. Laus shoved the hyena away from the clash, knocking him backwards. The Hyena was quick to recover from the shove, and began wildly dancing around his opponent. Laus felt that he could overpower this opponent on his own, but he wanted to see what his new partner would do, so he kept his guard up, and only moved just enough to keep himself between Tela and the hyena.

The tenfold threads of the elements that made up the world shifted slightly under the mage's commands, observing the life that made up the hyena fighting Laus and sending a mind image back to her. The hyena had mark along his right radius, indicating a broken arm that had healed some years ago, and patch of scar tissue along his right hip that formed in a small, perfect circle. The scar seemed to be from an arrow wound that the hyena had sustained fairly recently, and the healing was not entirely complete. It was healed enough to bear his weight, but it was still sore, and a blow there would likely be excruciating. The magic also noted suppressed discomfort in the Hyena's belly. For whatever reason, this gladiator had not eaten anything for at least a few days. As for his mind, it was nearly in its entirely focused on it's current battle against a lion, causing it to radiate anger and the thrill of a fight, but between sword stikes there were flashes of fear that shone through.
Arta_Shrike
Been posting for a bit

Postby Zephyr42 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:41 pm

Tela noticed Laus's strategy and quickly cottoned to it. She only made slight movements to ensure she remained behind her guard, even as she received the information on the hyena's injuries. The hunger and the fear gave her pause. His master was probably starving him due to 'underperformance'. If they beat the hyena, would he go even longer without food? Then she looked at her partner and realized she had to prove himself to him. Besides, it was just a practice fight. Maybe his owners would go easy on him?

"He's starving!" she told Laus. "And... aim for his right hip!" She thrust out her spear, trying to strike the hyena in his vulnerable spot. Even as she tried to be neutral, her face tightened. She'd heard stories of what gladiators were put through.
Zephyr42
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Arta_Shrike » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:27 pm

Hearing Tela's cry, the hyena tried to switch his footing to move his injury out of striking range. However, this put him at a disadvantage, allowing Laus to knock him off balance. The hyena tried to hit the lion with a wild swing, but Laus caught the wooden blade with his own, pressing in and forcing the hyena to hold his stance long enough for the dull tip of Tela's spear to jab him in the side. He gave a high-pitched yip and dropped to a knee. Holding back no longer, Laus knocked the sword from the hyena's hand and brought the tip of his own to his opponent's neck before the flying sword even hit the ground.

The hyena hesitated for a moment as his defeat sunk in. Then he grimaced, slapped Laus's sword aside, and marched off to pick up his lost weapon, limping as he went. Once he'd retrieved it, he went back to training on his own, ignoring the lion and fennec.

"Nicely done," Laus said to Tela. "We may survive a few matches after all." He glanced back at the hyena. "Starved, you say? Hmmph. His owner might be trying to fiercen him up. They do that sometimes, usually if the pit captain's been unimpressed with their training, but sometimes just for the hell of it. Then again," he snorted, "he might just be a feeder, especially if he's already injured. Someone good enough to put up a show while a crowd favorite gets an easy match and a meal."

Laus turned his gaze back to his partner. "We seem to be finding our footing. Is there something specific you want us to practice? Or should I walk you through forms until they call us to the mess for dinner?"

Spoiler: show
Giving you the opportunity to time skip to the next scene, if you wish
Arta_Shrike
Been posting for a bit

Postby Zephyr42 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Tela's jaw tightened even more as Laus mentioned reasons the hyena may have been starved and her fist clenched as Laus joked about the hyena being destined to be a meal, but she held her tongue. "Just show me the forms," she almost hissed. Her spear shot up into the ready position.
Zephyr42
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Arta_Shrike » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Laus had not been joking about the hyena's fate. Having fought so hard, and then being dragged chained through the busy slave markets of Kied, had broken him somewhat. Unable to defeat the colossus that was the empire, he could not help but take the daily injustices in stride. He had mostly resigned himself to his fate; his only true dream and desire was to just see the sun rise one more time.

Now, however, something he once thought dead sparked a little within him as he regarded the fennec with renewed interest. Her tight jaw, her clenched fists, the sharp undertone to her voice...she may be attuned to the life element, but there was a fire buried within her, and hearing about injustices suffered by others brought it out of her. It was futile, Laus believed. But if that fire within her gave her the hope to survive...perhaps Laus could draw off of that, just a little. It had been too long since he'd had much hope of his own.

"Alright, then," Laus said. "Stand next to me. Block left! Now high! Strike, then retreat. Block, push, and thrust! Turn!"

The time slipped by fairly smoothly as Laus walked Tela through some basic martial forms that had been drilled into him back when Lairene was still spoken of in the present tense. Each one walked them through a series of movements, attacks, and several blocks and dodges. They would, Laus hoped, instill the muscle memory in both of them to prepare for most attacks, as well as train the mind to be ever at the ready.

After a few hours, a bell rang. The pit captain, who was a massive rhinoceros with an eyepatch and scars on every visible part of his body, shook the bell's clapper violently, attracting the attention of everyone in the pit.

"Dinner's served, maggots!" he shouted. "All weapons on the rack! Get a move on!"

The gladiators moved as one to return their wooden weapons and marched toward the mess hall. As the hyena who had sparred with Laus tried to get inside, the captain held his arm in front of the door. "To your cell," he said bluntly.

The hyena growled, but ultimately complied.

As Laus started to walk in, the same arm blocked his entry as well. The captain smiled. "A moment of your time, Lairenian," he said, pulling out a small notebook. "You and your pretty little partner have been booked for a sponsor's match against Khal. Tomorrow. So in the morning, you'll get the executive breakfast, and of course, you're welcome to sit out of training tomorrow." The captain stressed his words in a mockery of reverence, as he always did for gladiators he was sending off to fight. "But in the meantime, enjoy your dinner, sir," and pulled his arm out of the door with a sweeping sarcastic gesture.

A sponsor's match was a way for arena sponsors, a fancy name for the slaveowners who bought gladiators, to earn contracts to bring their fighters to more lucrative venues. While not as popular as the more official fights, they still could bring in crowds, making them reasonably profitable even for the losing party.

Laus scowled. In his mind, he was cursing Malus and the pit captain to the deepest, darkest hell he could imagine. However, he eyed the captain's thick muscles and the whip that was perpetually affixed to the rhino's hip, so he simply said, "Thank you, captain," and walked inside.

Dinner that night was the standard gladiator's fare: a porridge of oats, wheat, barley, lentils, legumes, and various other things mashed into oblivion and cooked into something reasonably edible. It was healthy and filling, with a good amount of carbs and protein, but utterly bland and difficult to swallow. Laus, accustomed to the service, accepted his bowl and sat down at the emptiest table he could manage.
Arta_Shrike
Been posting for a bit

Postby Zephyr42 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Tela was a bundle of grieved rage as she continued with her exercises. Her accuracy improved after several initial wild swings and her steaming anger calmed into a stony scowl. Her face softened even more as she grew more and more tired. By the close of the day, she barely felt anything, and didn't even catch the hyena being sent off to starve even more.

The only time she woke up was at dinner, when she tried to swallow her meal. That caused her to wake up as she tried to get her food down. She took a quick look up at Laus, but she stayed silent and tried to eat her dinner as best she could. She especially tried not to look like she was having trouble. She still hadn't remembered anything resembling an offensive spell.
Zephyr42
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Arta_Shrike » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Laus took another bite of porridge, using plenty of water to wash the mush down his throat. The fennec sitting across from him seemed lost in her own thoughts. Normally, he would be happy to leave a quiet gladiator alone, but if he was going to be in mortal peril with someone whose actions might affect his survival, he preferred to know they had his back. Swallowing his porridge, he spoke.

"Not sure if you heard, Tela, but Malus has signed us up for a match tomorrow," he said. "Rather, I'm sure you heard, your ears are too big to have missed it, but your mind appears to have been elsewhere." He glanced around to make sure they were not being evesdropped on, then leaned in and spoke softly, "I saw how you reacted to the hyena. You hate the injustices here. That makes sense. I hate it too. Believe me, if I knew of a way to get out of this hell, I would. But unless you can think of some miracle, the best thing we can do to fight against it all is to just survive. I'm from Lairene, and The empress wants to grind every last remnant of that nation into the dust. I won't let her.

"Your technique in the pit was getting better. I'd have preferred more practice, but I say we've got as good a chance as any in the ring. And, when it comes down to it, i'm glad that my partner specializes in keeping her allies alive. So, what do you say? Can I depend on you tomorrow?"
Arta_Shrike
Been posting for a bit

Next

Return to Private Roleplay