Calling Out the Dragon (Whitebrand and MasterGryph)

This board is for forum based Private roleplay. Participation of roleplay here should be arranged ahead of time

Moderator: penguintacolampshade

Re: Calling Out the Dragon (Whitebrand and MasterGryph)

Postby Whitebrand » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:33 am

The elf smirked slightly.

"She's terribly clever," she said. "And she has this way with people that inspires them to do things...like talking other people into doing the laundry or cooking or saving the world. And still convince mom that she was the pure, hardworking girl. Did I mention that she was a shameless kiss-up? Anyway now she's famous and everyone comes to her for advice. She even charges them for it. And she probably still has other people doing her laundry."

Only a sibling could get away with that.

"Not that I could talk," she added with a self-depreciating smile. "I was the lazy one, always in bed and too tired to do anything. At least until a certain alchemist dragon came up with a potion for consumption. He beat my sister out on that and she never forgave him for it. Now he makes me feel like I can do anything."
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:29 pm

"A potion for consumption?" she repeated, unsure what that could mean.

"Hmm, I wonder about that. The world's a hard place and being kept by a dragon has advantages - for some, it would be a complete step up. But," she paused to put her thoughts together, "I also suspect he could be keeping some here from reaching their full potential."
Last edited by MasterGryph on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let us all play fair now, there is no such thing as total invincibility.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:55 pm

“Humans have a different word for it,” the elf explained. “Cancer. I have to take a potion every month but otherwise I have a normal life.”

“I suppose it’s possible,” the elf replied. “But have you met Misty? She’s a catgirl here. Rather feral and very sweet. The world outside would chew her up and spit out her remains. We’re all safer here.”
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:12 pm

"Ah, that... I'm very happy he's helping you deal with that."

"Well, I see your point. Thank you for the offer of teaching me more, but I have work of my own to get back to at the moment."

She wrote down the inspiration she'd felt earlier about how to enchant Bereth's staff for when she'd get the chance to put it into use, then finished the glossary of magic symbols for when she'd get the chance to teach them.

Thoughts unstated continued to nag at her though. Could anyone truly be safe in the lair of a creature so much more powerful than them? (Or for that matter, two of them?)
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:35 pm

A few other women went in and out of the library, some selecting a book or set of scrolls and leaving, others sitting down to study. She recognized several of her fans from the crafts room but no one bothered Ewith here. She was able to complete her research with only a couple of people glancing over her shoulder.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:14 pm

She should probably go find Bereth now. She was probably done with her training for the day now. Though if she ran into Celeste instead, that would be helpful in a different way.

Ewith was seeing more aspects to the other girls now that they weren't as preoccupied with Whitebrand's presence. Some had good reasons to remain with him, though she didn't necessarily believe all of them. Misty for instance. While Ewith believed the elf's assessment of her own condition, she wasn't going to just believe her immediately when she implied that Misty was too feral to take care of herself even when she wasn't catnipped.

As for Whitebrand, she did hope his trip out to get himself cleansed was going well. She'd just need to wait and see what he was like when he got back in a few days.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:28 pm

Ewith scored two for one when she arrived at the gym area. Bereth was lifting weights and Celeste was sitting nearby acting as her spotter, of all things. The masked kitsune turned her head briefly to look up at Ewith, then resumed her watching as the half-elf exercised. The kitsune ‘s seven rails, however, swayed noticeably.

Bereth stopped her lifts when she saw Ewith approach.

“Hey,” she said. “Does this mean you’re finished already? That was quick.”

“You were wise to put your newest girl on this,” the sage said to the dragon. “Or perhaps just fortunate. The enchantment on your books did not have time to properly beguile her...and once the enchantment breaks for someone it stays broken. She might even break it completely for you.

“You, however, have been under its spell for several years,” the elven scholar went on. “Even someone as resistant as you could not hold it off for that long. That is why I have Lady Muriel here. With the proper ritual she can loosen the spell’s grip on you. Then you will have a fighting chance against whatever created that blot and perhaps reveal the name of your enemy.”

Brand looked uncomfortable. Lady Muriel was a middle-aged woman in blue and white robes decorated with tunes from several ancient languages. She was a ranking priestess of Mystra, a goddess of magic. A worshipper of one of the more powerful gods of the mortals.

“The gods and I don’t exactly have a working relationship,” Brand said. “As a dragon I’m kind of outside their bailiwicks.”

“That doesn’t matter,” Muriel said with a patient smile. “The gods use us all. Believers, nonbelievers, and outsiders alike.”

“I’m glad you have confidence,” Brand snarked. “Fine. If it will help me cast this...thing out of my valley then by all means.”

“We will begin the ceremony tomorrow then,” Muriel said. “Rest and do...whatever it is that your kin do in situations like this. Count your gold or beat up a few knights or something.”

“Is it ‘pick on the dragon’ day around here?” Brand wanted to know. Most other places aware of his nature were a lot more respectful.

“Just when you’re here,” the sage said brightly.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:21 am

Was Celeste... trying to attract attention?

"It did take less time to figure out than I expected," though it had still been a couple of hours. "I wondered if you wanted to watch me apply the enchantments." She looked around to see where Berith had put the staff. She'd feel a little awkward if it had already been left in her room.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:44 am

"That's really cool," Bereth said admiringly. "The staff is just over there, in the corner." She glanced at Celeste. "I'll go get it."

The tall half-elf set her weights on the rack and got up, leaving Ewith and Celeste to one another. The mysterious kitsune merely looked at the avian girl, her mask completely hiding whatever expression was on her face. Herr tailsa seemed to be giving her away, though. They were swaying back and forth gracefully.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:05 pm

"Hello Celeste. What have you been up to today?" Ewith tried to speak lightly. While she wanted to figure out what the kitsune's game was, she didn't want to set up walls between them unintentionally. "I have been hoping to talk privately at some point."

"Incidentally, are you the person who's taken over the kitchen at the moment?"
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:35 pm

“A little of this, a little of that,” she said. “Miss Viconia is in charge of the kitchen, though I admit to having lent a hand there today.”

She maintained an air of complete innocence...except for her tails. She seemed to have willed them into stillness.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:54 pm

"Well, I hope Misty is okay after her nap," Ewith said, "I don't know her very well, but I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings..." Ewith wasn't always good at reading other people, but she gathered that Celeste knew that she knew about the catnip. But what direction would she try to steer the conversation into?
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 pm

"Oh, Misty ran into you after breakfast," Celeste said, her tails wavering slightly. Was that laughter in her voice? "Oh dear. Well I'm glad she got some sleep. I'm sure she's fine."

Celeste tilted her head at Ewith.

"You seem to have been busy today. Would you like an early lunch, perhaps? I can conjure up something if you'd like."
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:15 pm

"Well I hope so."

"Lunch sounds nice, but are you sure this is a good time?" Ewith responded to her question, she was currently on a small break while they waited for Bereth to get back. "For the record, we don't have an equivalent to catnip," as far as she was aware.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:42 pm

“Well perhaps a bit of wine will have a similar effect?” Celeste said, her tails once again in motion. “Here. Take a moment to relax before you help our muscular friend,” she added.

The kitsune made a gesture and a half full glass of reddish fluid appeared in her hand.

“Fresh from the master’s stock,” she affirmed.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:55 pm

Ewith takes the glass, but doesn't drink at the moment. "I should have guessed that he had one."

"I've been meaning to ask," she begins, "What does it mean that you have seven tails?"
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:32 pm

Celeste went very still. She looked away and down, her mind quickly sifting through the various stories she'd told over the years...and discarding most of them. For whatever reason she decided on the truth.

"I mentioned that I'd had enemies," she said slowly. "One of them...caught me. I gave him a very hard time and...he took one of my tails as a prize, and when I fought back he took another one to give to someone who pleased him. I learned to behave after that."

Her hand went to her mask, specifically her right cheek.

"He did things to me," she said. "And every time he did he...carved a letter of his name into my face. So I would never forget him or his name. And he was right...even though I outlived him, I still can't. A cruel form of immortality. Forever etched into the memory of someone who would live beyond his wretched lifespan."

Reluctantly the kitsune pulled her mask away from her face. On her right cheek was a mess of scars...one letter cut into her flesh on top of the others until all that was left was a horrid cris-crossing blotch of scar tissue. Her flawless face permanently marred by a sadistic imperfection.

Something seemed to click in Ewith's mind. What would happen if some scribe were to write a word or set of words by putting one word on top of the other? The result would be...a blot on the page.

"Our master is trying to heal my face...my tails," she said, looking at the floor. "But he can't until something inside me it healed first...and that...doesn't seem to want to happen. I can't forget, can't put it behind me. Not even when I lie in our master's arms in the dark of the night."
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:08 pm

"...Thank you for trusting me with this. I'm sorry to bring up such bad memories. But, perhaps we'll find a way to heal it sometime soon," she began sipping the wine absently. It was difficult to deal with such injuries. Cuddles were a good treatment as far as they went, but it was too much to expect sex to cleanse such things (especially if there wasn't much behind it).

Words and letters layered over each other. So that was how the message was being jammed. This could lead to a breakthrough... or another trap.

...As for this name, could she recognize the letters with the scarring in it's current state, and string them together into the original order? "Ah, I'm sorry to stare. I really do hope that you can find a way to heal. Is there something you'd like to talk about while we wait?" about this subject or another one, "I'd heard that your relationship with Whitebrand was... a lark." A diversion, among other things. "But what's your take on him?"
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:42 pm

"He is...young. Vigorous. A little arrogant. but it's somewhat justified by his gifts," Celeste said, looking relieved by the change of subject. "He is able to bring me comfort for a little while...sometimes I can forget for a little while. And he's strong enough to protect me from pretty much anything. I feel safer with him than I have with anyone else. Stroking his ego a bit is a small price for that."

Of course she would prioritize safety and protection given that she was speaking truly.

"I suppose that the lark might be on me, in a way," she said with a laugh. "I lent myself to him for his protective power...and I've found that I like him. Especially his real desire to help me heal. He offered without a second thought. He does that a lot."
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:03 pm

"The way he assumes everything will turn out well for him, it sounds like he's been lucky as well." The mind was a complicated thing though.

"Your deal with him seems a particularly good one," Celeste had a lot more time to spare, and fewer relationships with the outside to be concerned about, "Though about that protection... what exactly keeps your current location from being scryed? His show of eating you would have been a while ago, so the likelihood of a hunter being shown that to thrown them off off would seem to be growing slimmer."
MasterGryph
---

PreviousNext

Return to Private Roleplay