Calling Out the Dragon (Whitebrand and MasterGryph)

This board is for forum based Private roleplay. Participation of roleplay here should be arranged ahead of time

Moderator: penguintacolampshade

Calling Out the Dragon (Whitebrand and MasterGryph)

Postby Whitebrand » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:27 pm

There was a hole in the side of the mountain that sat at the northern end of Whitevalley. Not a dank, wet hole with worms or bats, nor a dry sandy hole with cobwebs or insects. This hole belonged to a silver dragon, and that meant splendor.

The hole deepened into a great cavern where the beast stored his favorite treasures. Unlike certain other dragons, his lair was organized more like a grand museum, with his beloved treasures set into expensive and sturdy display cases or neatly hung on walls or racks and lit with loving care. Rack upon racks of gems, jewelry, tapestries, paintings, suits of armor and weapons, and many other precious treasures had been gathered here, some from across the world. The entire collection mentally cataloged by the occupant and shown off with pride. In the center of this great cavern was the dragon’s bed, a massive pile of carpets, mattresses and blankets that let him rest comfortably and see his collections wherever he looked. Those seeking gold or other coin would have to deal with a large vault door at the back of the cavern...and would likely be stymied or at the very least seriously delayed getting past its locks and dangerous wards.

Beyond the cavern was a small warren of human sized rooms and passages that served as living quarters for pets and servants. No one knew these halls existed, since few people in their right mind willingly come in to a dragon’s lair at all. They would have to face a massive thirty-foot long young dragon who was known for being something of a magical prodigy among his own kind...which put him on an entirely different level above most mages. It was said that despite his youth, he was capable of taking on entire armies. Hence the reluctance of the local powers to bother Whitevalley (named for the thick snow that blanketed the place during the winter months) and the occupants therein.

The dragon was also known for something else...his love of humanoid women. Rumor held that he had at least a score or more of beautiful prisoners at his feet. Due to his power, no one seemed to be willing to call him out on that either.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Re: Calling Out the Dragon (Whitebrand and MasterGryph)

Postby MasterGryph » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:17 am

But this day, the lair's entrance was being observed by someone who thought they were a match for the dragon.

Ewith, skilled warmage and heroine of her flock, gazed down at the mountain. She'd tracked her quarry to this valley, and had spent much of the day scouting it out. The blue-winged bird woman had been lucky enough to avoid serious confrontations with other fliers so far, especially the dragon. But she would need to face him eventually. The Great Darkness she was hunting could be none other but Whitebrand, after all.

The valley looked normal, even beautiful. If her tracking spell hadn't led her here, she might not have thought to investigate closely. However, there was something unnerving about it nonetheless. She had the feeling that if her niece Ceeth with her empathic senses had come with her, the younger girl would be able to see strands of resentment leading straight to the valley's master. (Oh, she hoped Ceeth was doing well without her favorite young aunt. The other children seemed to think that her extra senses could lead her astray somehow...)

She was tempted to land at the cave's mouth and investigate - it wasn't every day that you found a dragon's lair after all. But a fight in a cave was the last thing she needed. If she was going to defeat a dragon that size, she needed an open sky to leverage her maneuverability. Also, the valley was already his home turf, his lair would be even more familiar to him.

Another dragonslayer might set a trap at the entrance, but that wasn't part of Ewith's skillset. Depending on the mountain, she might be able to collapse the entrance, but she didn't want to cause collateral damage or risk other creatures getting hurt... Was her only option to wait for him to come out and confront him then? Wait, was Whitebrand even home at the moment?
Let us all play fair now, there is no such thing as total invincibility.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:24 am

As though her thoughts had been read by someone, the avian mage saw glittering movement at the cave entrance. The dragon emerged into the sunlight, it’s brilliant silver scales shining in the daylight. He was young, with only a small handful of age spines running along his jaw. Perhaps only a couple of centuries old, if that. He sported a long metallic copper mane that resembled human hair atop his head, and a pair of horns that swept back from his forehead. He bore no battle scars that she could see.

He looked down at his valley from his perch for several long seconds before he stretched his bat-like wings. With a lash of his long tail the dragon threw himself into the air, soaring from the cave towards the southern end of his valley. Small arcs of electricity sparked down along his spine briefly as he flew, only to vanish a second later as he stabilized himself on the air currents.

He did not seem to have noticed the female in the sky above him. Why should he have to bother to look up, after all? He was the most powerful creature for many miles around.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:45 am

What was he up to now? Ewith landed on a mountain ledge for a rest she'd been putting off, and turned to watch the Dragon's flight. She thought about whether she'd seen anything in that direction that could interest him...

He looked a bit younger than she expected him to, but as the rumors had it Whitebrand's magical skills were much stronger than other dragons his age. The fact that he was working to refine those skills - instead of lazing about confident in his natural prowess - was what made him so dangerous. (How exactly did he train himself, she wondered. Did he have a collection of magic tomes mixed in with his hoard? Something to investigate later she supposed.)

After a few sips from her water pouch, she took off again to follow him. When she figured out what he was doing, she might need to step in and stop him. His lightning affinity narrowed down the elements she could use, but she had the beginnings of a plan. Oh she did hope that when the confrontation started, that they'd be able to banter a bit. But for now, she needed to stay out of sight as she followed him...
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:09 pm

The dragon was flying in a weaving pattern, arcing first to one side of the valley and then banking back towards the other. His eyes were directed towards the ground, as though searching for something. Perhaps this was a patrol flight, or maybe he was simply hungry and hunting for prey. He didn’t seem to be in a particular hurry...he was moving at least half as fast as he was likely to be capable of.

Suddenly his golden eyes narrowed. That was all the warning Ewith got before he suddenly pulled his wings in and dove down into the trees. She could see several trees shudder from the impact as he hit the ground below the canopy of leaves. There was some violent thrashing for a few seconds, but that stopped quickly. A beat later she heard a triumphant roar that had to have come from her target.

When she came upon the scene moments later she saw what had happened. The dragon had attacked and killed a monstrous snake, a creature with mottled green scales that was at least as long as the dragon himself. The thing had blended in with the forest, which was probably why Ewith hadn’t seen it during her approach. The dragon had broken the thing’s neck and was currently disentangling himself from its massive coils.

Once the dragon was free it spent several seconds looking around the forest around him, his head tilted slightly. Once satisfied that there weren’t any others around he began to tear the snake apart, eating the largest bloody pieces until a third of the reptile was gone. Once full, he left the rest to the forest and made his way over to a nearby stream to wash himself clean of the blood.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:51 pm

That was a little gruesome, but it seemed very... normal. It seemed she'd found Whitebrand on a day when he didn't have anything special planned. Even a dragon like this spent a lot of his time just... living.

She landed in a tree behind him and began casting spells to enhance her speed and resistance to magic - which would be necessary to keep up with his power in a long battle. She was considering confronting him when he took off again, unless he happened to turn around first.

She found herself torn between what was good, heroic, and what would be practical. A sneak attack didn't feel right - she couldn't just (metaphorically) backstab someone she hadn't properly met. If it weren't for that prophesy of the shadow, she'd just have assumed he was just another dragon - dangerous, living up to some of the Silver stereotypes and not others, intelligent enough to apply morality to, and best left alone unless he crossed a line. Any confrontation had to start with a conversation. If she wasn't spotted first, she'd start that when he took flight again.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:10 pm

The dragon dipped his talons and his entire face in the water, swirling them around until the bloody mess had been swept away. Finally he lifted his head and shook it in the manner of a dog. He took a breath but didn’t bother to look around.

“You could at least introduce yourself,” the dragon rumbled. “You think that I can’t feel the magic you’re weaving right behind my back?”

He finally turned his head to look at Ewith, one of his eye ridges raised slightly. He didn’t bother turning the rest of his body.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:54 pm

"Sorry, I didn't want to be rude. My name is Ewith. I've been charged to hunt down and deal with a growing darkness," her tone was polite but cold. "One which is severe enough to scare soothsayers, but not enough for them to have a clear description of it," she sighed, "Isn't that always the way?"

As Whitebrand got a better look at her, he'd note that she had both wings and arms, and clothing that was designed not to get in the way of flight. Her body seemed human (or possibly elfin), besides the wings. Not a harpy then. Her hair was blonde and in a ponytail, while her feathers were blue with black and white streaks. There was a jeweled rod attached to her belt, along with a pack which presumably held basic supplies.

"Your turn. I've heard the rumors about you, but facts are hard to pin down."
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:22 pm

“I can’t imagine what you’ve heard,” the dragon said. “And I don’t trust soothsayers. Everything they say tends to get colored by one thing or another.

“I am Whitebrand,” he said. “Though I usually simply go by Brand. And you have entered my home. You approach me by preparing defensive magic, which makes me question your intentions. So speak plainly, Ewith. You seek some sort of darkness...and somehow you have come to me?”

His eyes were suspicious as he turned his body slightly to face her more comfortably. His tail swayed back and forth, hinting at some irritation.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:51 pm

"Indeed. My attempts to track down my quarry led right to your doorstep. I've come to believe that You are the Great Shadow. That your well-known drive for self improvement - which I'd support on principle - hides something that diminishes this world. At least. You are the only being in this valley powerful enough to be who I'm searching for."

She pauses, "Though some of the wilder guesses as to what you're up to scarcely bear repeating. Judging from all this greenery, the ravings that the shadow is draining life and magic from the land and making it harder for other magical creatures to survive, seems to be incorrect. And the interpretation that it's hiding it's presence here by doing it's worst on other worlds... Well, why would you - it - be capable of that?" She almost laughed.

"Pray forgive my rudeness, but I can't afford to underestimate you," she blinked, her eyes gaining the gleam of a magic detection spell."
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:22 pm

Holy crap.

The dragon glowed with multiple contingency spells, almost all of which were defensive. The level of skill it would take to make and maintain the web of enchantments spoke loudly about his capabilities. He was not relying on his natural might to protect him, like most dragons. He’d planned for his protection, either from direct experience or cunning.

“So you’ve decided that I am your bogeyman,” Brand said. “Do you like what you see? I made it myself. Very well. I suppose well just have to do this.”

He turned to face her completely...and sat down in the manner of a cat.

“I will give you the honor of first blow,” the dragon said. “The results of which will determine your fate. Impress me.”
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:37 pm

...She'd planned to test him with a few cutting wind spells first, draw him into the air, then knock him out of the sky with something stronger. Without the help of gravity, there was no way her magical reserves would last long enough to bring a dragon his size down.

She studied his defenses. She hadn't seen the like of some of them before, but if she could work out what they were made of, or find a pattern...

And of course actually starting off with her strongest spell would be unlikely to work.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Brand actually grinned.

“I seem to have thrown off your game plan a bit,” he said, sounding amused. “I’ll wait.”

At least two of his contingencies involved teleportation magic. Not much of a surprise there. Others involved defenses against different elemental types, or countering summoning spells. He had protections against differing weapon types, and even some anti-undead spells.

“You are quite fetching,” he said after a few moments. “Perhaps I will allow you to join my harem. You will learn things you had only aspired to before, and will be thoroughly protected against virtually any threat. Don’t worry about your feelings regarding me...I’ll win you over in the end.”
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:25 pm

"So those rumors were true? They certainly didn't paint you in a good light, but I assumed they would be a separate matter to my hunt."

"And if you keep up that arrogance, then you'll never get so much as a chaste kiss." Her first spell was refreshing Haste on herself and flying away. At a suitable distance, she turned around in the air and slashed two fingers towards Whitebrand, sending translucent blades of air at him. Ultimately, she decided following her original plan was best - testing how her offense matched up against his defense. And she had to maintain distance as best she could - dueling a dragon at close range was suicidal.

Gravity might be able to help with that as well.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:52 pm

"Maybe, maybe not," Brand said as he ducked his head with surprising speed. "But it got you angry, didn't it?"

He managed to avoid the first air blade and only took a glancing blow from the second. The second blade impacted...but did nothing. Not even a scuff on his scales. Brand leaped into the air, covering more than half the distance between them with a single flap of his wings. He came after her with his mouth open wide, ready and eager to simply snap her out of the air.

Except he was fairly certain that she was very agile in the air. The moment she moved to escape him, she'd get his by a downward gale that might very well knock her to the ground. And if she escaped that then he had other alternatives. He'd fought fliers before.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:11 pm

She hadn't expected such a weak spell to work, so its failure didn't dishearten her (Though, did it fail because of a wind immunity, a Slash immunity, or sheer thick skin?). She changed directions on a proverbial copper piece to fly off to the right. Ewith was counting on Whitebrand not being able to change directions as quickly. The downdraft caught her by surprise, but they were both so high up already that she could powerdive to build up speed and still escape it before hitting the forest's canopy. That was too close. She'd need to do something about the dragon's wings before she tried the same thing on him.

Summoning was pointless against the dragon, but that was just as well because she didn't use those spells. What about a bit of conjuration and weather control? As she flew (trying to regain altitude), she conjured a large cloud behind her, where it started dropping large hailstones above the dragon. Electricity was clearly a no-go, but how about ice?

She was still testing his defenses, seeing if she could find a usable weakness before going all-out with full-power spells...
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:31 pm

Sky magic? Against me? Really?

The dragon got a slight surprise a moment later when she started dropping hail on him. He grunted with irritation as the assault of hail came down on him. He blew through the hailstorm as he chased after her, his body crackling with arcs of electricity. He dove down after her, only halting his dive about fifty feet above her height. He flapped his wings hard, sending a chaotic swirl of wind after the avian. He also reached out and took advantage of the storm she'd conjured. Now there was not only hail but lightning blasting from the sky...and lightning liked to strike creatures in flight. It would only give Brand a good charge, but what would it do to the girl?

What she didn't know was that he'd deliberately toned down his bolts to a mere twelve miniamps. Painful and burning, but not deadly. The voltage, though, was fairly strong and made lots of frightening noise and light.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:49 pm

She tumbled in the air, but came out of it flying yet another direction to keep away from the dragon. She winced as a stray lightning bolt struck her, but her own protection spell blocked it, preventing the worst of the damage. She'd expected to need it against the dragon's breath, not a modification of her own spell.

That said, it was about to wear off, so she had to pause in her offensive to reapply it.

It was unfortunate that she couldn't have stayed above Whitebrand. If he dropped now, there was a chance she'd be caught on the way down. The storm was nothing compared to that beast...

But she didn't have much choice. Once her protection from lightning was reinforced, she began weaving another spell. This one would take longer to pull together...
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:03 am

Brand wondered why the girl wasn't countering him. Must be restoring her defenses... He dove after her, claws ready and mouth open once again...this time genuinely salivating in anticipation of an easy catch. He already had the perfect outfit for her picked out. And once he resolved the misunderstanding she'd be far more inclined towards helping him. And then she'd eventually be eating out of his hand...

His shadow fell over the girl as he dropped down on her, eager for his fantasy to become reality.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:51 am

Ewith twisted around in mid-air to face him, and he could see her hands were cupped, as if holding something. She drew them apart, and then the dragon found the air around him being pulled away, creating a pocket of vacuum centered on him. The nearby clouds were twisted, seeming to have a circular hole blasted through them. Could he continue flying through that?

Of course, this wasn't healthy for her, as the outwards rushing of air knocked her down and into the trees... And she couldn't even watch out for branches in her way, as she had to focus on maintaining the spell to keep nature from reasserting itself...
MasterGryph
---

Next

Return to Private Roleplay