Calling Out the Dragon (Whitebrand and MasterGryph)

This board is for forum based Private roleplay. Participation of roleplay here should be arranged ahead of time

Moderator: penguintacolampshade

Re: Calling Out the Dragon (Whitebrand and MasterGryph)

Postby Whitebrand » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:30 pm

"I'll get them for you and let everyone know," Celeste said with a slight bow. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

It would only take a few minutes. Celeste returned with a bag that contained plenty of dowels, threat, yarn, beads, ribbons and other decorations. Some of them were made of fairly rare materials...Celeste's thought being that the rarer or more valuable the materials the more powerful they might be.

Word passed about the odd migration fairly quickly. It took awhile longer for authorities to finally get wind of the matter, and even longer for them to take it seriously. A few groups would get dispersed here and there, but there were core groups that were a bit more stubborn. Efforts to stop them were made particularly difficult since the members of those core groups tended to be particularly unpleasant people.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:33 pm

When Celeste returned, she'd find the avian surveying the corners of her room, apparently doublechecking how bad the damage was to the magic effects on it.

"Oh, thank you. This will do very nicely." Celeste's assumptions weren't bad, and the complications of working in different materials would be outweighed by the outcome. "Well, this will take a while. I appreciate your support, but I shouldn't keep you here waiting," she finished awkwardly.
Let us all play fair now, there is no such thing as total invincibility.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:48 am

Fortunately the flames had been focused on Ewith and not everything else. The damage was only minor and cosmetic, with the curtains around the bed being mildly singed and a few dark spots here and there. The thing’s grip on Erin must have been more tenuous than it had tried to appear.

Celeste nodded as she bowed slightly.

“Of course,” she said. “As you wish.”

The kitsune gave Ewith one more look before she glided from the room again.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:37 am

Once she was sure she was alone in the room, she used a small scale ice spell to adhere her room's door to the doorjam. It would melt off shortly, but she didn't need it for long. While she was sure no one could barge in, she removed the book from its hiding place under her mattress and stashed it in a small gap she'd noticed between a bookshelf and the wall. Like this, it was less likely for Celeste in particular to stumble across it by accident.

She had to remind herself that the book itself wasn't all that important anymore. It was the overreactions of the pawns after it that mattered now.

With that done, she relaxed again, sat down on her bed, and started crafting. Left alone, she'd be hanging up a collection of charms outside her room for people to take in a few short hours.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:03 pm

Ewith’s projects made the time go by quickly. The ice on the door had melted by the time she’d put the first set of her creations out to hang in the hall. When she checked on them later she would find that all of them were already gone. She would be midway through her second set before there was a knock on her door.

Celeste was waiting with lunch on a tray. Only when Ewith caught the scent of it did she realize how hungry she was.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:53 pm

She hadn't been able to get much to eat that day. Just a quick sandwich in the early afternoon.

"Ah, come in. How are things outside?" Ewith asked. Her attitude had brightened significantly since their last meeting.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:17 pm

“A mixed bag,” Celeste said as she carried the tray in. She set the food down on the desk near Ewith’s workspace. “People are getting anxious but your charms seem to help. Most hope our master returns soon. Others feel that you are the solution to the problem. There is some fear but more hope. Bereth and Misty want to go out and start hunting things, and Viconia is keeping everyone locked down. Erin seems to be responding to Viconia’s wirds and sends her apologies. That about sums it up.”

She checked Ewith’s forehead with a cool hand.

“You’re looking better,” she said. “I can create some calming illusions if you wish. Just tell me what you want to see.”
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:43 pm

Ewith set down her work to take the plate and start eating. She paid close attention to Celeste's recounting of the others' status. "Hmm, that's good overall," she commented, "So long as we don't lose track of anyone, I think we'll be okay. I'd be happier about their faith in me if... well, before this morning."

"Ah, another illusion? I'm not sure what you have in mind but... perhaps a pleasant place you know of that I wouldn't? I can't very well ask for the other way around," she responded with a bit of a joke to keep the mood light.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:59 am

Celeste smiled.

“As you wish,” she said.

Ewith’s room vanished. Her chair, desk, and tray were now sitting in a grassy field filled with trees. It must have been early spring because the trees were almost entirely decorated with beautiful pink flowers instead of leaves. Pink petals were all over the ground and a few drifted from tree to ground in a gentle breeze. Here and there were ornate, unlit paper lanterns hanging on branches. She could even smell the freshness of the air.

“This is called a hanami,” Celeste explained. “A ‘flower-viewing party’. For two weeks the cherry trees bloom and parties are held to enjoy their beauty. At night it is called yozakura and generally includes a great deal of music and alcohol.”

And nine months later usually a bit if a baby boom.

“I thought you might like a pleasant setting for your meal,” Celeste added.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:20 pm

"Impressive," Ewith responded, looking around at the trees. She wondered if it would be rude to ask why it was Cherry trees in particular that warranted a celebration.

"This is certainly a pleasant sight," she said, focusing her attention on a particular petal at a time while she ate.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:14 pm

“The flowers are very beautiful,” she answered. “And they bloom only for a short time in the year. They are a reminder that life can be very beautiful...but also remind us that life can be very short. They are a symbol of the fleeting nature of life...even for those of us that live a particularly long time.”
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:13 pm

"An interesting metaphor. I never thought about it like that," Ewith mused.

She'd always seen trees in general as an example of long life. And flowers on trees and bushes as different from flowers that came directly out of the ground. The latter were easier to see as an independent life on its own (Well, except when they weren't. Plants were complicated like that.), while the former, parts of a larger existence.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:09 am

Celeste put her hand to one of the cherry trees.

“I was trained by a kodama,” she said. “A tree spirit. She helped me learn how to use my powers faster than my kin did. She said that I was ‘hasty’ in my learning. I assumed that meant that I was a quick study.”
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:35 pm

"It doesn't sound like she was happy about it," Ewith noted, "Although, I was a bit of a quick study too. But I was part of a large class, and there was a limit to how far ahead I could pull for a long time..."
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:26 pm

“She was always grumpy,” Celeste saiid. “Kodama are similar to your dryads but they look like old people. With a matching temperament. She meant it kindly. You’d have to have known her.”

She caught a petal as it drifted through the air.

“You should see a hanami on its last day. The flower petals all start to fall at around the same time. We would toast their brief lives and there would be lots of food. And then cleanup in the morning.”
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:42 pm

"Ah, that kind of attitude," she giggled. By now, she'd finished her meal.

"...Perhaps someday." she responded.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:39 pm

Celeste gestured with her hand and all the petals of all the trees seemed to fall at once. They filled the air and swirled around the pair of the women in complex patterns. After a few moments the flying petals dispersed and vanished. Ewith was once again in her room.

“Happy to entertain you.” Celeste said with another of her customary bows.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:10 pm

Ewith applauded the performance. It seemed she was right to accept the offer after all.

Ewith picked her work back up, but wasn't exactly rushing Celeste away this time.
MasterGryph
---

Postby Whitebrand » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:59 am

“Are you going to study more?” Celeste asked. “Or did you have something else in mind?”

That could certainly be taken any number of ways. The way Celeste ‘s tails were moving it was difficult to say exactly what.
Whitebrand
Heavy user

Postby MasterGryph » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:11 pm

"Well, I was going to keep crafting," Ewith said, holding up a half-finished charm - and noting how odd it was for Celeste to bring up studying all of a sudden. "Was there something you had planned for this afternoon?"
MasterGryph
---

PreviousNext

Return to Private Roleplay