Thoughts on Story Format

Are you looking for a place to post your work, hoping to receive comments, suggestions and criticisms? If so, this forum is for you! Showcase your stories, drawings, animations, and anything else you have created here. You can even upload your files directly to our site! Note: Everyone is free to share opinions of anything here. If you can't handle criticism, refrain from posting here!
Forum rules
This section is for any artist, writer, animator, or any form of creation to share their work in order to receive comment to improve themselves better.

Read the rules in detail here

Read the Critiquing suggestion here

Please open only one thread per person. Detail here.

Thoughts on Story Format

Postby ReducingRebecca26 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi Everyone!
So, I got inspired to possibly write a vore story based on a RP I did recently. It involves transwomen being sacrificed to a giant dragon. And the basic concepts behind it include:
(1) Being eaten is easily the worst day of your life... how can I make it even worse?
(2) How weird/horrible can I make digestion? [As a note, I don't like gore/blood, but I know I can make it horrible w/o that].

But the problem is the story is getting quite long and most folks just want the good stuff, so what I was thinking of doing was breaking the story into sections with headings (like chapters, only much shorter) that tell you what's going on. So I'd have general background about the scenario, character backstories, then sections like "the sacrifices are prepared" and "character A is eaten" and then "digestion".

Would folks be interested in a format like that? Folks who want more story can read the whole thing while folks who want the vore stuff can go right to it.

Thoughts?

Becky xoxoxo
ReducingRebecca26
New to the forum

Re: Thoughts on Story Format

Postby dreamweevil » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Becky,

If it's a longer story, weave the backstory into it. You can hook the reader by starting in medias res (in the middle of things): kick things off with an exciting (vore) scene to grab the reader's attention, and add the backstory in slowly after you've already got that attention.

If you're doing things right, the reader will care more about what happens to your protagonists, after a while, than they do the exciting vorish details.

The danger of chapter headers like you're proposing that they're spoilers. I've avoided them in my own writing where I can: I'll give some fair warning of certain topics, but to create a "page turner" you have to surprise the reader rather than having things go exactly as expected.

dw
dreamweevil
Participator

Postby sweetladyamy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:01 am

Yeah, I second dreamweevil on many points, though chapters don't necessarily have to be spoilers.

Sometimes, it is best to start at a certain point, sometimes near the end or even past the end point.

In a story like this, starting after one of the characters, or even after any individual gets eaten would be a good start.

One thing I must mention is why transwomen in specific are being sacrificed, there must be rhyme and reason which is clear to the reader.

So, are all the ladies going to not enjoy this? If this is the plot, and you don't mention any sort of shift, do try to avoid it (been there with mood shifts affecting my writing-it isn't pretty, trust me).

I could give tons of advice, but you seem like a well-versed writer, so I don't think it is necessary.

Looking forward to when it written, I wanna read it.

Cheers.
Amyrakunejo, Heiress of Purity

Philosophical Pagan Anarchist Femme Fair Gamer Lesbian Metalhead Chick
sweetladyamy
---

Postby BBthewolf » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 am

The name of a chapter can also be what is about to happen in said chapter making it more exciting for the reader to continue to read, for instance if the main character is about to approach the place of where the dragon is simply putting "a dangerous place" it indicates where the main character is going without saying exactly what makes the place dangerous
BBthewolf
Been posting for a bit

Return to Work to be shared!