D&D Class *Playtest* The Predator Revised edition

Are you looking for a place to post your work, hoping to receive comments, suggestions and criticisms? If so, this forum is for you! Showcase your stories, drawings, animations, and anything else you have created here. You can even upload your files directly to our site! Note: Everyone is free to share opinions of anything here. If you can't handle criticism, refrain from posting here!
Forum rules
This section is for any artist, writer, animator, or any form of creation to share their work in order to receive comment to improve themselves better.

Read the rules in detail here

Read the Critiquing suggestion here

Please open only one thread per person. Detail here.

D&D Class *Playtest* The Predator Revised edition

Postby drellburda » Wed May 09, 2018 8:55 am

Nearly a week ago I made this post

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=53096

Well now everyone, I have taken the feedback into consideration, and I have made some significant changes. The core principles that made the class interesting should now be highlighted by a better class Structure.

Once again I would like to thank BIGBIG, Metalforever and Hungry Succubus for allowing me to use their art for this Project, as well as VaguenessIncoming, Netjak and Assimilation for their helpful advice, I probably couldn't have brought this to any other forum, so all of your time is appreciated.

With that in mind I would like to start taking note of people interested in trying out the class, as I will soon look into running a game using this material, part playtest, part campaign. Anyon interest PM me and we will sort out the details. I am usually free after 5pm CST most nights.

(Sadly the file is too big for me to upload here, so a Drive link will have to do. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MAw_Ob ... sp=sharing )
drellburda
Been posting for a bit

Re: D&D Class *Playtest* The Predator Revised edition

Postby Netjak » Wed May 09, 2018 11:28 am

I just want to say that I really enjoy the design of the revised document, not just visually, but also how the different mechanics is implemented and presented. It really exudes polish and care! Of course, there are tiny things that probably could be fixed/altered, but I don't want to immediately start nit-picking. The different predator paths seem relatively balanced at first glance, though with some of the abilities heavily dependant on the availability of plentiful meals, I suspect their respective power levels can fluctuate wildly depending on the GM and style of campaign played.

That being said though, I have the feeling that every path, no matter the circumstances is way ahead of the curve of other 5e classes, but, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you are running a vore-themed campaign, what does it matter that your PCs are a extra tough, just toss more/harder enemies and obstacles at them!

That being said though, I have the distinct feeling that a predatory party starting at level 1 might have a very high lethality rate, much greater than normal! With no options for armour, and lacking their unarmored defence until level 2, which by the way encourages them to NOT put many points into DEX, as it is quickly rendered mostly useless for them, it wouldn't be suprising if most of the party's AC started off around 10, which is a recipie for disaster, when a single hit may knock you down, especially when you have the warlock's and rogue's d8 hit dice. This isn't necessarily an issue though, as it isn't that unusual to start a campaign off at 2nd level, instead of first, to avoid those quick, boring PC deaths first session.
Netjak
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby bcdjcvsjhvjh » Wed May 09, 2018 12:59 pm

deleted
Last edited by bcdjcvsjhvjh on Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcdjcvsjhvjh
Somewhat familiar

Postby VaguenessIncoming » Wed May 09, 2018 1:59 pm

I really like the way it's shaping up! It's always very clear when something is a labor of love - even moreso than the last one, there's obviously a lot of time, effort and good ideas put into this. The class certainly looks much more elegantly designed than before. Glad the feedback was helpful!

@selfrog: I might be wrong, but while the writeup is written with females in mind - as seen in the art shown - the mechanics would work exactly the same for any gender.
Check out my work right here. Leave some feedback, it's much appreciated! I also do commissions.

Buy my books!
VaguenessIncoming
Somewhat familiar

Postby bcdjcvsjhvjh » Wed May 09, 2018 2:02 pm

deleted
Last edited by bcdjcvsjhvjh on Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcdjcvsjhvjh
Somewhat familiar

Postby drellburda » Wed May 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Netjak wrote:I just want to say that I really enjoy the design of the revised document, not just visually, but also how the different mechanics is implemented and presented. It really exudes polish and care! Of course, there are tiny things that probably could be fixed/altered, but I don't want to immediately start nit-picking. The different predator paths seem relatively balanced at first glance, though with some of the abilities heavily dependant on the availability of plentiful meals, I suspect their respective power levels can fluctuate wildly depending on the GM and style of campaign played.

That being said though, I have the feeling that every path, no matter the circumstances is way ahead of the curve of other 5e classes, but, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you are running a vore-themed campaign, what does it matter that your PCs are a extra tough, just toss more/harder enemies and obstacles at them!

That being said though, I have the distinct feeling that a predatory party starting at level 1 might have a very high lethality rate, much greater than normal! With no options for armour, and lacking their unarmored defence until level 2, which by the way encourages them to NOT put many points into DEX, as it is quickly rendered mostly useless for them, it wouldn't be suprising if most of the party's AC started off around 10, which is a recipie for disaster, when a single hit may knock you down, especially when you have the warlock's and rogue's d8 hit dice. This isn't necessarily an issue though, as it isn't that unusual to start a campaign off at 2nd level, instead of first, to avoid those quick, boring PC deaths first session.

Good point. Granted they do also have access to spells and cantrips so they can employ ranged attacks in a combat situation. For a level 1 pred vore is more a way of finishing off an enemy than an immediate tactic.

I may tweek either when they get unarmored defense or maybe. Give them light armor proficiency and make unarmored defence a tactic. Depending on how the playtest goes of course.

Also a quick errata. Use either the Warlock or Monks starting equipment until such time as the latest revision and I can create a good selection of equipment for a starting predator.
drellburda
Been posting for a bit

Postby drellburda » Wed May 09, 2018 5:09 pm

VaguenessIncoming wrote:I really like the way it's shaping up! It's always very clear when something is a labor of love - even moreso than the last one, there's obviously a lot of time, effort and good ideas put into this. The class certainly looks much more elegantly designed than before. Glad the feedback was helpful!

@selfrog: I might be wrong, but while the writeup is written with females in mind - as seen in the art shown - the mechanics would work exactly the same for any gender.

Thank you and yes. As I said. My preference is big lady preds and a lot of soft vore and that bias is there in the art I chose. But I kept the terms and rules as vague as possible to allow people with other preferences to pick the class up.

Me using "She" and "her" as pronouns is just me trying to emulate the grammar of all of the RPG books I have read.

So yes feel free to make any kind of pred you want with this.
drellburda
Been posting for a bit

Postby sansuki » Wed May 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Fascinating little class. I've been playing in and GMing vorish games, mostly in Pathfinder, for years now. Never really got over the hump into 5e. Might be available to help test this class out- my initial gut reaction ( :gulp: )is that it's a little overpowered, but that's what testing's for!
sansuki
---

Postby drellburda » Wed May 09, 2018 5:53 pm

sansuki wrote:Fascinating little class. I've been playing in and GMing vorish games, mostly in Pathfinder, for years now. Never really got over the hump into 5e. Might be available to help test this class out- my initial gut reaction ( :gulp: )is that it's a little overpowered, but that's what testing's for!

Exactly. My usual wheelhouse is Pathfinder funnily enough. I decided to branch into 5e mainly because of its slightly broader appeal.

There are still spaces if you want to join.
drellburda
Been posting for a bit

Postby drellburda » Thu May 10, 2018 5:46 pm

I also have come up with a few new predator tactics.

These are here for Playtesters until I make the next revision.

Tetori Grab
Prerquisites 3rd level Path of the Cad
Upon selecting this tactic whenever you make a grapple check you declare whether the opponent must use Acrobatics (Dex) or Athletics (Str) to oppose your grapple.

Eldritch Core

Upon selecting this tactic all swallowed targets attempting to cast spells must succeed a concentration check equal to your Spell Save DC. On a failure the spell is lost.

Eldritch Fuel
Prequisites Path of the magus, 5th level, Eldritch core.

If a target fails to make a concentration check to cast a spell while swallowed, you regain a spell slot.
drellburda
Been posting for a bit

Postby Siuddithsi » Fri May 11, 2018 2:19 am

One of my Preds has been described as a D&D character who gained their vore powers from a wish. But this is like gaining vore power as a multi class. So how would it work to get mid level in a different class then switch to a predator? How are you doing the play testing?
Siuddithsi
---

Postby drellburda » Fri May 11, 2018 7:10 am

Siuddithsi wrote:One of my Preds has been described as a D&D character who gained their vore powers from a wish. But this is like gaining vore power as a multi class. So how would it work to get mid level in a different class then switch to a predator? How are you doing the play testing?

Well. Seeing as the predator would most comparable to the Warlock in terms of spell casting it would simply be a matter of adding the spells to any existing list and leveling up accordingly.

This article has a good summation of multiclassing as well as the section of Multiclassing. http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Mu ... 73862#null

I am running a campaign to help play test adjusting the build as I go. I will be using discord as a tool to facilitate the testing and playing of the game. If you are interested please PM me and we can get started.
drellburda
Been posting for a bit

Postby drellburda » Sat May 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Ok. we are curreently approaching the max number of Playtesters I think I can handle.

There is still room for a couple more, for those who are still working on sheets. But if you are only just finding out about this, I am sorry but I don't think there will be room for you.

If anyone drops out I will let you guys know.
drellburda
Been posting for a bit

Postby Siuddithsi » Sat May 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Siuddithsi
---

Postby olgith » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:58 am

Hi! Sorry to bother you but I had taken interest in this class and wondering if I could test it in another game. Additionally I'd like to ask a few questions~

When you made the changes from the first draft, what made you decide to drop the HD to d8s instead of d10s?

And I noticed in the brawler path you changed the size change from starting at 6th to starting at 9th. And reaching colossal ny 20th (asuming you started as medium). But then you included the vore tactic at 18th to increase your size once more. Able to be taken again Up to colossal. But by the time you can take it. You would already be gargantuan, thus becoming colossal.. rendering the 20th level growth redundant. And multiple selections of the tactic impossible. Why is that?

Secondly about capacity.. If I get this right. A medium creature at level 1 has 2 capacity from their proficiency bonus. And that means they can only fit a single medium creature? Or is it a 1 for 1 basis if it's same size?)

Lastly. What if you already started as a large race? Would your damage dice for digestion increase? And the above capacity question applies?
olgith
Somewhat familiar

Postby bcdjcvsjhvjh » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:47 pm

deleted
Last edited by bcdjcvsjhvjh on Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcdjcvsjhvjh
Somewhat familiar

Postby Siuddithsi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Bumping for D&D stuff
Siuddithsi
---

Return to Work to be shared!