Something I noticed...

Are you looking for a place to post your work, hoping to receive comments, suggestions and criticisms? If so, this forum is for you! Showcase your stories, drawings, animations, and anything else you have created here. You can even upload your files directly to our site! Note: Everyone is free to share opinions of anything here. If you can't handle criticism, refrain from posting here!
Forum rules
This section is for any artist, writer, animator, or any form of creation to share their work in order to receive comment to improve themselves better.

Read the rules in detail here

Read the Critiquing suggestion here

Please open only one thread per person. Detail here.

Something I noticed...

Postby SilhouetteofKid » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:38 am

This has been bugging a bit for a while. There's a weird difference between my traditional drawings and my digital drawings.
I don't have a clue why that is. Honestly, I haven't drawn much traditional work, kinda been doing more digital.
Just recently actually, I started getting back into it. And I guess it occurred to me that something about it looked better visually.
I'm curious what of you guys think. Do my drawings look better traditionally rather than digital?

Traditional art Examples:

325910-67863-preview.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

20190504_040801.jpg

A Strange Scene in the Park[test].png

Digital art Examples:

Fairy Tricks[COMPLETED].jpg

Terrible Babysitter.jpg

Spooky's Lunch[COMPLETE].jpg

Saiyans in the Sky(with Inside View)[COMPLETED].jpg
Hell yeah. (⌐■_■)

SilhouetteofKid
Somewhat familiar

Re: Something I noticed...

Postby Nekiame » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:56 am

I've often liked tradition art style's more than digital, partly cause of the effect pencils cause when one fills in blacks/grey's etc. It gives such a different effect compared to just picking a color and filling it in on a PC.
Might be that it also gives a more personal touch to it, as it's something drawn by hand rather than digitally.
Nekiame
Participator

Postby empatheticapathy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:12 am

I absolutely think your traditional art looks better than your digital.
empatheticapathy
---

Postby MeltyCG » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:18 am

Pressure changes and shading. That is why hand drawn stuff tends to look better. You draw flat outlines and flat colors. You should consider changing your brushes to something a bit more like an actual simulation of whatever traditional tools you use.
MeltyCG
Been posting for a bit

Postby SilhouetteofKid » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:30 am

Nekiame wrote:I've often liked tradition art style's more than digital, partly cause of the effect pencils cause when one fills in blacks/grey's etc. It gives such a different effect compared to just picking a color and filling it in on a PC.
Might be that it also gives a more personal touch to it, as it's something drawn by hand rather than digitally.

That's really interesting. Maybe there might be some way to incorporate that into my digital work.
Maybe sketching it first on paper and outlining it more digitally. Guess I need to do some experimenting.

empatheticapathy wrote:I absolutely think your traditional art looks better than your digital.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that too. ^^;

MeltyCG wrote:Pressure changes and shading. That is why hand drawn stuff tends to look better. You draw flat outlines and flat colors. You should consider changing your brushes to something a bit more like an actual simulation of whatever traditional tools you use.

Guess that isn't something I do very often. I'll need to do more research about that.
Thanks for the suggestion. ^^
Hell yeah. (⌐■_■)

SilhouetteofKid
Somewhat familiar

Postby ArcaneSigil » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Personally, I'm a fan of digital art work over hand drawn. Digital looks cleaner (granted I've never managed to figure out how to draw something without resting my hand ON the paper so my hand smudges my drawings), and sharper. Digital artwork, honestly, just looks more Professional. That's not to say hand drawn artwork isn't amazing. I've seen some AMAZING artwork that was done by hand, but that's also done by people who can draw without resting their hand on the paper and smudging. Unless they can draw one half of a picture and then perfectly match the other half without need for smudging.
Just a wolf lookin' for some fun. I like all sorts. Just... don't eat me.
ArcaneSigil
---

Postby sweetladyamy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:37 pm

Honestly, I'm one of those that sees hand-illustrated and digitally-illustrated as two completely different art forms.

Therefore, comparing the two is akin to comparing an apple and a starfruit (yum! lol)
(Hmmm...maybe I should of said orange instead of starfruit since not everyone knows what starfruit tastes like)

Anyway, I see the charms and detriments of both. I don't see one being better than the other, and in your case, the only thing your hand sketches have going for them against your digital artwork, is the lack of pixelation.

Things like flat colors and such are nitpicky things that don't actually add or detract unless they're undesired, or at least, so I've learned.
Amyrakunejo, Heiress of Purity

Philosophical Pagan Anarchist Femme Fair Gamer Lesbian Metalhead Chick
sweetladyamy
---

Postby SilhouetteofKid » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:09 pm

CrimsonFangX666 wrote:Personally, I'm a fan of digital artwork over hand drawn. Digital looks cleaner (granted I've never managed to figure out how to draw something without resting my hand ON the paper so my hand smudges my drawings), and sharper. Digital artwork, honestly, just looks more Professional. That's not to say hand-drawn artwork isn't amazing. I've seen some AMAZING artwork that was done by hand, but that's also done by people who can draw without resting their hand on the paper and smudging. Unless they can draw one half of a picture and then perfectly match the other half without need for smudging.

There are actually some simple techniques for that. You can have something to block your hand from the paper so nothing smudges.
You can also use a brush instead of your hand to remove eraser shavings. Paper is also important, there's actually some paper that
doesn't smudge lead and there are some pencils that are hard to smudge easily. Most of this I learned in college but you can look
up most of this on google. Apparently, there's a stick you can use to block your hand called a

And I agree, digital does look more professional. Coloring is also easier as well. I think one of the
reasons I switched was to do with just liking the way digital art looked in color. But I'm not a master at either,
so I basically use both of them. I do the line art by hand, then go over it on the computer, fix any mistakes I made,
and then color it. That's how I used to do it anyway, not sure what changed but I'm going to go back to doing that.
Hell yeah. (⌐■_■)

SilhouetteofKid
Somewhat familiar

Postby SilhouetteofKid » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:27 pm

sweetladyamy wrote:Honestly, I'm one of those that sees hand-illustrated and digitally-illustrated as two completely different art forms.

Therefore, comparing the two is akin to comparing an apple and a starfruit (yum! lol)
(Hmmm...maybe I should of said orange instead of starfruit since not everyone knows what starfruit tastes like)

Anyway, I see the charms and detriments of both. I don't see one being better than the other, and in your case, the only thing your hand sketches have going for them against your digital artwork, is the lack of pixelation.

Things like flat colors and such are nitpicky things that don't actually add or detract unless they're undesired, or at least, so I've learned.

That's really interesting. I didn't really think of it that way. And I think the starfruit analogy still works.
What does a starfruit taste like? I wouldn't mind actually trying one.
Hell yeah. (⌐■_■)

SilhouetteofKid
Somewhat familiar

Postby sweetladyamy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:43 pm

SilhouetteofKid wrote:What does a starfruit taste like? I wouldn't mind actually trying one.

Typically, starfruit has a combination of tart, bitter and sweet, in order from most to least present, but the level of flavor overall is very low.
Like, if you've ever had Gatorade (which to me tastes like watered down Kool-aid), kinda like that. Watered-down kind of flavor tones.

I mean, I love starfruit, but my favorite way of eating it is dehydrated. Dehydrated/dried, it brings out the natural sweetness.
Amyrakunejo, Heiress of Purity

Philosophical Pagan Anarchist Femme Fair Gamer Lesbian Metalhead Chick
sweetladyamy
---

Postby Noxyoursox » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:29 am

I do mostly digital art, but it didn't start to really stand up to my traditional art until I got a decent tablet and Clip Studio (which pretty closely imitates traditional media, but with all the convenience of layers and color picking). Without good tools or a LOT of work, digital art tends to look flat and lifeless.
Noxyoursox
Participator

Postby SilhouetteofKid » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Noxyoursox wrote:I do mostly digital art, but it didn't start to really stand up to my traditional art until I got a decent tablet and Clip Studio (which pretty closely imitates traditional media, but with all the convenience of layers and color picking). Without good tools or a LOT of work, digital art tends to look flat and lifeless.

Good point. I actually did Clip Studio recently. I still have the same Wacom tablet though.
I've had it for a long time. Probably a good time to change it due to the problems I've had with it recently.
Hell yeah. (⌐■_■)

SilhouetteofKid
Somewhat familiar

Return to Work to be shared!