Unfunny "comedy" routines.

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

Unfunny "comedy" routines.

Postby Varysoir » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:21 am

Okay so I se this every so often, someone seems to think, "hey if my character is random and violent, everyone's going to think that's funny, right?"

Going off of experience of everyone's reactions to the last several people that did this - no, it isn't going to be funny.

This routine does one thing though - it makes you come off as background noise, because it is very generic.

the main issue doing this brings up is the very similar, "it's super funny because my character comes up on top every time."

In fairness there are people around here of not very good empathy, and that's fine. but the jarring thing is, this issue in particular barely needs empathy, because even if most or all people though like you, since your character isn't their character and therefore there character does not "come up on top" they thus they find it as funny as you would in their position, which is to say they never find it funny.

Doing this also can come off as "it's funny because my character is bdetter than your character".

Basically doing this ranges from forgettable to annoying.

On a similar note, there are people who do nothing but "meme" at people and then wonder why they never get attention. much like the "random and violent" routine, this is so generic that you come off as background noise. though i don't much care for meme culture, i've noticed most people seem to only find memes funny ironically. i've even seen people make 3-4 posts on the same meme, because they're so certain people are going to find it funny eventually (they didn't).

Basically, if you present yourself as generic background extra #39856, you're going to get treated as generic background extra #39856
Varysoir
Somewhat familiar

Re: Unfunny "comedy" routines.

Postby cassie » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:34 pm

The kind of player that attacks and kills other characters with no buildup, as if to assert dominance? Or to grab all the attention? No, not very funny, because it kills character development.
cassie
Somewhat familiar

Postby NightRoller » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:19 am

I've seen dozens of posts like this one complaining of behavior x or action y. (I do agree with these posts' content, but that's not important to the below.)

It never seems to solve the issue at hand, however. (Usually the people who are doing the problematic actions aren't going to read these.)

My suggestion: When someone is exhibiting behavior in a roleplay or chat that you don't like, call out that behavior specifically then and there--link to one of the many rant posts pertinent to the situation, optionally adding a comment to it yourself, and refuse to continue interacting with the person until they convey they understand what you're trying to ask them to not do (or they have a genuine, non-butthurt question about it, or etc., use your best judgement).

If they fail to learn, walk away and find a better partner. You're not responsible for their improvement as an RP'er, however noble it may be that you want to help them improve. Learn to have strong boundaries (not just towards others, but towards yourself as well) about what actions you'll tolerate.

I do fully realize the irony of me saying the above, and in the future I'll take my own advice, and link to this comment in my replies on random-behavior-I-dislike-rant-posts in the future :)

Now go forth, further armed with glorious knowledge and the ability to walk away from poor-mannered RP'ers who aren't able to make a win-win situation with you! I believe in you and anyone else who's managed to read this far <3
We live in a culture of addictions. What's yours?
NightRoller
Somewhat familiar

Postby Twist88 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:03 pm

Can’t say I’ve personally experienced it, but it’s easy to understand why something like that could be annoying.

Knowing how and when to walk away is an invaluable skill.
Twist88
New to the forum

Return to Our chat room