New Chat Update

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

Re: New Chat Update

Postby player1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:57 am

Baz wrote:The situation has reached the point where it's /not worth being in the RP room/ unless you've already got a partner. Any post of decent quality is quickly spammed off the screen by one-liners often RPing things that are nothing to do with vore.

I completely agree with Baz on this point , if you type a more than 3 lines (1980 x 1200 res. ) post , it will be 1. Ignored 2. Quickly spammed by One or Two liners, and it seems than every good Roleplayer left the RP room for the Library or the Vore room (like Alts of the world,Selphia , Poojawa ,Sycniele, Silrath, Kailindrea etc..), if they weren't the ticker the LFRP,open,Pred,Prey tag would be nearly useless. Personally i think those sign should be allowed at least in the Library , or , allowing those tags everywhere but create a personnal option to Enable/Disable them if you don't want to see them.
"wizards, no sense of right or wrong!" some spacemen wisdom.
player1
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Eka » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm not sure I really understand the logic here. So apparently the number of people in the roleplay room is trending downwards and the number in the library is trending upwards. As I see it, there are four possible mechanisms by which that could happen:

You missed one of the biggest changes: People tend to go to where people are. It really doesn't matter which room it is or what the room is for, there are no point to be there if there are not enough people there. So our effort is to first balance the place as much as possible and therefore, giving people more choice where to go, and naturally, better for the whole chat when they have more viable choice to suit their needs.

So now that about two months have passed since the change, what are the results?

Also yes, the graph seems to show a clear trend, but just naively assuming that trends will continue may be wrong. Some mechanisms (i.e. 3 and 4) will have natural limits to them, and so for those it makes sense to react to where the points actually are, not where you guess they're going to be.

Here is some update
chat_room-year.png

According to the chart, the statistic is indeed changed after new work in place. As a side bonus, we are finally getting a better balance among the three rooms. While you can say this data might be unrealisable, which, I agree, but any theory on how the data is not reliable are just as much a guess as how it is reliable. My effort is going to try balance the number.

You know what we should be talking about?
The fucking weather.

What about it?

Honestly, Eka, it would help us if you could explain your reasoning better... You claim to want chat balance, which you've only just explained actually means you want more people in the Roleplay Room. So why is that? Why is it just so damn worthwhile to take such a useful feature from the private RPers to get more people in the public RP room?

The problem is, it is a complicated issue, it is hard to explain. So let me try and make it more absolute here.
Keep in mind, the reality is not black and white like this, but otherwise it is too complicated to assert the exact principle I'm trying to archive in an easy to read format:

I can either encourage Public, and continues keeping new player something to look at and interested, and let the community stays afloat, or I focus on private, no more public atmosphere, no way to get new player, and the community eventually diminish, these are my two choice. I can't choose both, so I choose the former.

Is it you want more people to RP publically? I'm really struggling to understand the reasons, since you've barely explained the changes, besides the rather odd reason of wanting 'chat balance' that isn't real balance.

No, we are encouraging people to reach out and start doing things properly, and check the statistic chart. It clearly was an issue.

And telling us to go to IRC? Your chat had decent features, and you're stripping them away!

Actually, I didn't. the feature you considered "stripping away" is still there. You just don't want it where we put it. I already highlighted specific reason why it was done so.

Your changes are backfiring in the most harsh of manners, at least for one of us, and I'm sure I can't be the only person to have been turned away from the chat because of these blind changes.

It is intentional. We are not here to service lurkers. Those are behaviours we try to discourage. Not encourage. I understand being part of the user base that we discourage must not be a happy feeling, but that is how community like this need to do to survives.

The reason I don't use IRC is it doesn't have the 'click one link and choose a character' feature your chat has. So surely the obvious thing to do is make your chat BETTER than IRC, not have its features live in its shadows. Instead of implementing wanted features, you've taken out liked features, and stuck in a randomised (I'm guessing it's randomised) weather feature that, from the sounds of things already, people don't give a fuck about.

This is because you still haven't read most of my post and understand them. EVERY SINGLE FEATURE we choose not to add are for very specific reasons. I answered to all of them already.

As for weather, I think you should really think about what we are trying to archive with it instead of thinking about how it benefits you.

Check your PUBs (Of which very few people seem to use them, at least for me) for the same reason

Well now they have to use it more, and it works. Try it.

Final comment: Your moves have upset a portion of that community, with not a single word of praise from anyone on the other side. You've messed up, plain and simple.

Well, you are not entirely correct. While my move didn't please you. It certainly was not without praise and everything I looks at so far, support it. Anyone with some sense of logic can see why it was done the way I did. You might not agree that we need to discourage lurker, you might not agree we should focus on public, but my choices here was not done to disagree with you, they are done for very specific public and overall, managed their intended effect.

Much better solution:
- Create a character named "LFRP_<some name>" and switch to the library.
- Add a link to the character you want to play with in the description.
- Activate the DND sign if you're no longer looking for a role play.

Those are not going to be allowed. LFRP message are not to be used anywhere, including in your name.

The situation has reached the point where it's /not worth being in the RP room/ unless you've already got a partner. Any post of decent quality is quickly spammed off the screen by one-liners often RPing things that are nothing to do with vore.

1. Ignored 2. Quickly spammed by One or Two liners, and it seems than every good Roleplayer left the RP room for the Library or the Vore room.

Thing is, if you read the log, people have always been complaining about this exact same thing since eight years ago. There will always be people you don't like anywhere you go and people who can't stand them are always going to complains about that. Beside, you are clearly inaccurate. Look at the log. For every day in the last week, there have been at least hours of non-stop "lengthy post" every day.

For those people who are just going to keep complaining and choose to look only at things they don't like. I can only say stick to private, go to IRC, IM. whatever. There are nothing I can do for you.
Eka
Administrator

Postby player1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:03 am

Eka wrote:
Thing is, if you read the log, people have always been complaining about this exact same thing since eight years ago. There will always be people you don't like anywhere you go and people who can't stand them are always going to complains about that. Beside, you are clearly inaccurate. Look at the log. For every day in the last week, there have been at least hours of non-stop "lengthy post" every day.

For those people who are just going to keep complaining and choose to look only at things they don't like. I can only say stick to private, go to IRC, IM. whatever. There are nothing I can do for you.

Well you're argument pretty much failed, i picked like 3 or 4 random date of different years and what do i discover? Full days made of 3/4 lines post lengh(or more), and , returning to the actual date , what i see ? 1 day with 2 peoples posting 5 or more lines preceded by 2 time more one liners or so

http://rp.aryion.com/chatlog.php?mode=v ... har_names= 2010

http://rp.aryion.com/chatlog.php?mode=v ... har_names= 2008

slight difference uuh? (a lil note , the RP room weren't really active in 2008/2009)
"wizards, no sense of right or wrong!" some spacemen wisdom.
player1
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Eka » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:12 pm

player1 wrote:Well you're argument pretty much failed, i picked like 3 or 4 random date of different years and what do i discover? Full days made of 3/4 lines post lengh(or more), and , returning to the actual date , what i see ? 1 day with 2 peoples posting 5 or more lines preceded by 2 time more one liners or so

I think you mistaken "People have been complaining about them" with "The chat room activity have always been the same".

I said the former, I did not imply the later.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Starbreeze » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:24 pm

ShrunkenGiant wrote: and stuck in a randomised (I'm guessing it's randomised) weather feature that, from the sounds of things already, people don't give a fuck about.

I'd like to point out that you arent speaking for the whole community. I like the weather system. Playing a cold-blooded character, it randomises my weaknesses. I've also seen people rather interested when it's hailed once.
Starbreeze
New to the forum

Previous

Return to Our chat room