New Chat Update

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

Re: New Chat Update

Postby ShrunkenGiant » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 am

I'm sorry, the whole dropping LFRP tags in the Library really annoys me...

I don't want to have to be subjected to whatever RPs are going on in the Roleplay Room when looking for one myself. I hate this redirecting traffic bullshit you constantly mention. It's not a good answer when there's a perfectly good counter argument involving shy RPers not wanting to be in the public area when there's a perfectly good private area instead. And then there's this one, which applies more to me:

TARDIS: "When I'm looking on and off for an RP, or even just sitting back with a flag up to see if someone finds me, I tend to switch tabs, change the TV channel, get up and grab a drink - and I don't want to have to constantly go back and see what everyone else in the room said, make sure I didn't miss a PM that is now four screens up because of all the traffic, or wonder if someone I missed now thinks I'm being rude because I haven't replied."

This is exactly my problem. I generally get quite assaulted with messages when it comes to certain characters of mine, so trying to filter them between the rather large amount of traffic the Roleplay Room gets is just awkward.

And Aiden's suggestions are a rather backwards way of doing things:

Aiden: "You can easily poke someone, ask for an RP, and then ask to move to the library for the pre RP OOC planning."
As TARDIS already said, this isn't always possible. Personally I do a lot of setup too before actual RP happens. It also means that, if we end up differing on details we are intending to have in the RP or not, we have to switch BACK to the RP room to ask someone else, then hop back... It's needless busy work, and also prevents those LFRP in the Roleplaying Room from seeing our status besides the ticker at the bottom, which during busy times you're unlikely to appear more than once every 5 to 10 minutes for a few seconds.

Aiden: "I found checking the private logs go a long way to guarantee you don't miss important things meant just for you."
Again, needless busywork. I'm not sure I understand the reasons behind the change so well, but more traffic in one room than another seems like a pointless argument, since it's the same traffic either way.

I'm probably repeating things here since I've not properly read page 3 yet, but on skimming it it seems that the admins simply want chatroom balance, and the users want the ability to filter out public chat from any room. Seems like a match made in heaven, and it would remove the need for the Library in the first place. All those people actually looking for involved RPs would get that in the Roleplay Room, those that are looking for light/silly RP would be in the Vore Room, and those that just want to chat would be in the OOC room.

Eka: "You are suppose to be actively engaging, either in public, presenting your character and make other want to go after you. Or if in private, work on getting other attention by directly whispering them after checking their profile and demonstrating a good attitude and understanding of what both of you might be interested in."
This is true. However, it works both ways. I don't think TARDIS is saying he only sits there and waits. It's between the times where he's gone looking for people that he's waiting, simply with little else to do than wait for approaches in the first place. Profiles don't always detail a person's interests either, I've found many people approaching me over stuff that isn't in their profile, and that's not my fault, that's theirs. But the fact I could originally sit there and wait for these approaches helped me meet people, and I've made a few good friends out of the chat this way.

Artemis: "I find myself missing the ability to have LFRP in the library not because I want to wait around with it up, but because it helped me thin down my choices of who I should bug at a glance. Now I feel a bit overwhelmed in the library. Some people are lurkers. Some people just want to talk. Who to talk to? No way to find out except to ask. It winds up not working very efficiently."
This a hundred times. Now I don't know if someone is LFRP or not. And therefore I have to ask, wait for a bit and, if they don't answer after like 15 minutes, I can assume they're busy or AFK. Something I can't see now. Now I'm a little shy myself, and when it comes to the chat I ONLY bother people with an LFRP sign.

Essentially, Eka, I'm asking, on behalf of what it seems like quite a number of people here (Both on the forums and on the chat) to either put LFRP signs back into the Library, or implement something that lets us filter out ALL public chat. I don't want to see it all the time, and while I'm fairly open compared to what I do, I know a LOT of people who have specific interests and moods, and will NOT want to see these constant RPs going on around them while looking for RPs that suit THEIR interests.
ShrunkenGiant
Been posting for a bit

Postby Aiden » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:30 pm

ugh, I've not found it that hard at all to simply not pay attention to what the public chatters are typing if i'm not interested in/don't want to know about it. it's not like spoken conversation, what is being said in public chat won't register with you unless you actually read it which makes it extremely easy to tune out.

and my suggestions are not an ass backward way of doing things when you keep in mind that it has never taken me more than like 2 seconds to do any of those things

check your private logs

actually poke someone you'd like to rp with

scroll up and look for a whisper, the chat makes them look different enough to spot at a glance. That is if you don't want to check your private logs instead for some reason since the logs will display whispers you have received only

switch to the library if you get into a conversation, switch back again if preference conflicts make things fall apart

none of this takes more than 5 seconds and none of this takes any real effort at all, it's stuff that I do all the time without even thinking about it, that is how little time and effort it requires. These things take the same amount of time and energy (none) that activating a public chat filter would. Are people really that lazy that they need a way to save a second of time and a click or two of energy? How about actually using the features that are already there instead of demanding new stuff. Having to glaze over the public chatter or having to check private logs every 10 minutes are so is not going to kill anyone. if you leave your computer to do stuff and come back periodically there will be the same delay in your response to anyone who whispers you while you aren't paying attention than there would be if you did this with a public rp filter on since checking the private logs for whispers takes no actual time at all to do.

I really don't see the massive inconvenience that removing these tags from the llibrary has created that some others are seeing, just not getting it at all. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I'm a freak for not being annoyed by actually having to click something every now and then.

Also, the reason traffic is being monitored is to prevent people from crowding to a room simply because it has the most people. There are people who like the features of the vore room and public rp room and wouldn't be happy at all if they became ghost towns. It's best to make sure that people are using the various rooms for their intended purposes. Then their is enough of a balance for people to not feel pressured to just use a certain room exclusively cause it's the only one that is getting any attention.
Aiden
Participator

Postby Artemis » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:31 pm

Aiden wrote:ugh, I've not found it that hard at all to simply not pay attention to what the public chatters are typing if i'm not interested in/don't want to know about it. it's not like spoken conversation, what is being said in public chat won't register with you unless you actually read it which makes it extremely easy to tune out.

Every ignore list on every site ever is a standing testament to the fact that a whole lot of people just /can't/ effectively do that. Perhaps you can, but a whole lot of people can't. I'm one of them.

Like I hinted at briefly in my last post, if we're trying to correct room crowding... Well, I see one answer to that.

The problem as I see it, is that one of our rooms is an everything goes room. (Vore Room) See, because it is so un-strict people will naturally flock to it. Notice how the OOC room is almost constantly empty? That's because in the eyes of the laid back chatter the Vore Room does everything the OOC room does except better. The few exceptions are those that really aren't comfortable watching public roleplay. Hence, you will almost always find a couple of people sitting in the OOC room, even though it's very dead.

Now, there is a restriction regarding roleplaying in the vore room. Because one hour is too short for many roleplayers, this results in the roleplay room not being nearly as dead as the OOC room.

If we wanted to restore life to the OOC room, we'd have to set some sort of limit on OOC in the vore room.

To be brutally honest though I predict that as long as the Vore Room does not serve a specialized purpose like the other rooms and instead just does what other rooms already do differently, that it will always hinder the balance.

Another thought. If we wanted to drain the users that don't like public roleplay and used to sit in the library with LFRP up, or used to sit in the library saying hi to people with LFRP up, perhaps we could simply create a separate channel designed specifically towards people who are looking for RP but aren't interesting in any sort of public chat/roleplay. This does not fix the problem with the OOC room, which very much demands a change of the vore room, but it does still have other merits for changing the ballance.

My guess is the people who don't like looking for RP in the library now are hanging out in the Vore Room, or perhaps even the OOC room, though I doubt the latter as it's always so empty. If my guess is correct, then introducing that whisper only LFRP room would actually wind up draining some users from the vore room instead, now that we've already disabled LFRP in the library itself. It could potentially still drain some from the library as well. Some people might be hardy enough that they put up with just saying hi to any person that meets there taste regardless of how often they're busy or whatnot.
Artemis
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Aiden » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:01 pm

I don't think the vore room is a problem because the RP and Library still goes through phases during the day when they have more users in them pretty consistently. It may be why the OOC room doesn't get much attention but the vore room was designed to be a light rp + ooc room so there really is no reason to take a look at it at this time, especially because it is not dominating RP and Library. Basically there is no 100% advantage the vore room has over the OOC room that makes the OOC room obsolete, fewer people just happen to go to the OOC room and prefer to use either the vore room or the RP room instead

keep in mind that you can't use your tags in the vore room either, while in the ooc room you can. This separates it from ooc room but people who use the vore room simply don't mind not having their tags. Chat balance is maintained by making sure each room has a unique advantage over all other rooms:

OOC room: allows OOC and tags (public chatter, no IC allowed)

RP room: allows RP and tags (public chatter, very limited OOC)

Vore rooms: allows OOC and RP (public chatter, no tags)

Library: no public chatter (no tags)

It can be argued however that there is a gap in all of this that a room that is strictly for LFRP could solve

LFRP room (whisper only OOC room): features no public chatter and tags (OOC only, no RPing allowed)

however it is impossible to enforce a ban on RPing in whispers in such a room, which could cause it to get over crowded and make the Library a complete ghost town
Aiden
Participator

Postby ShrunkenGiant » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:54 am

I think an LFRP room is a ridiculous idea in the way you described it, as such a room would therefore be unregulated (Unless the admins have access to our private logs and use those to determine when bans and warnings should be given out based on people whispering disallowed things to each other, which in itself would be very bad).

And you say it'd make the Library a ghost town, that's purely because people would use it as they had used the Library before. The admins seem to care more about 'intended use' more than anything else, despite it generally being the users that will make a service their own. Users come up with extra uses the developers didn't normally intend, and instead of embracing those changes in use like most normal developers, it seems the developer staff here like changing things to FORCE people to use the service in the way they intended, the way they want it to be used. In some senses that is fine, if people began hacking the service to get extra options and such that'd be okay, but when it's reducing functionality for the sake of 'room balance', when now only the RP room and OOC room (Of all places, why LFRP tags need to be in the OOC room at all I have no fucking idea) have the LFRP tag, it's making it awkward for users.

And the problem I have is there is no need for this ridiculous balance. There was an obvious need (And in a way still is considering the amount of people in the Library) for the library in the form it was used in. As I speak it matches the RP and Vore rooms for people, and most of yesterday it was much higher than both.

If we should be so worried about chat room balance, how about you sort out OOC room, Eka? That gets fuck all people in most of the day. What about the Motels? There's only two of them and they're taken up by maybe two to three people at a time, half the time they're sitting there totally empty. The Games Room? I'm pretty sure NO ONE goes in there. Although I can see your solution to that one being disabling dice roles in all rooms but the Games Room... Which, before you take that as a suggestion, is a bad idea.

People prefer to go to the Vore Room because they want to both OOC and RP. They want to mess around. OOC forces only standard chat, even light, non-character RP there will get warnings from the over-exerting moderators (at least in my experience), where as in the Vore Room you can have a nice chat with some people, then idly gobble down the character who just walked in. It's all a bit of fun. The OOC room will never be fixable in that regard.

And Artemis makes a very good point about the old Library, which I personally did a LOT. I used to go into the library, away from the clutter of public chat (I have a mild perception problem when it comes to vibrant colour, one reason I preferred the Library since it only showed whispers, and I didn't have to search for what Aiden reckons are "different enough to spot at a glance" through paragraphs of brightly coloured text) and only look at the profiles that had the LFRP tag. I'd see if any of them matched my prefs, and drop 'em a line if they seemed interesting to me. NOW I have to look at every single profile, message them, and hope that the lack of an LFRP tag means they're trying to LFRP, but the chat simply prevents them from doing so, or wait for them to reply and let me know they're not. When the Library is still exceeding other rooms for users, this is an IMMENSE amount of extra busy work, especially given my fairly open preferences I find a lot of people and characters who interest me. For the sake of room balance, I'm forced to struggle reading the text properly,

In fact, Eka's plan has worked perfectly, since I no longer go into the Library, and just stay on Roleplay Room because it's the only active room I can LFRP. As much as I HATE being there, seeing the same generic fucking yoshis UBing the same generic fucking herms with dicks bigger than any man's... I don't want to have to see that between my private RPs, or hell, just between my private chats with other users. This is why the library was good, and now it's RUINED by this lack of tags. My way of using the chat has had to change dramatically in order to accomodate, to the point I don't use the room anymore AT ALL. There's no point. I've already forced myself to sift through pages of shite public RP in order to see the messages I need to, what's a few more during RP gonna hurt? At least RP posts are quite easy to spot, everyone having their distinctive colour in BIG paragraphs. OOC stuff is much harder (for me anyway) among the paragraphs.

I want to go through Aiden's proposed changes to chat room use now the Library lacks these tags. Here's how I used it before:

1. Enter library.
2. Put LFRP tag up.
3. Check out ALL profiles with an LFRP tag.
4. Message those that seem to fit my prefs. Meanwhile, I can check other tabs, use my chat software etc. I have sounds turned off because that dink the chat makes has to be one of the most annoying alert sounds I've ever heard. MSN's little jingle with every message is more bearable than what sounds like someone smacking you upside the head with a metal cup.
5. If I have an RP, GREAT! Otherwise, two options: 1. lurk for a little while, wait for the lists to change up and start again from step 3. Or 2. Go to Roleplay Room and do steps 3 to 5 again, return to library if still unable to find one. Twice the RP potential technically!

Easy peasy.

Now, Aiden, here's the step by step list of what I have to do NOW.

1. Enter Library by force of habit
2. Exit library because I forgot the LFRP tags wouldn't be there. Enter Roleplay Room instead.
3. What as that blank space gets filled with public messages about shit Yoshi characters unbirthing shit herm characters.
4. Check out all profiles with an LFRP tag.
5. Message those that seem to fit my prefs.
6. Watch as my messages go off screen. Meanwhile go check other tabs, use my chat software etc.
7. Return to the page and have to spend a little time scanning out potential PMs, especially more difficult in very busy times.
8. Upon finding nothing, double check by going to the Library, or checking private logs. First option would only work if those whispers had been sent within the last few minutes.
9. Leave the chat, frustrated and no longer wanting RP in the first place.

That's all that's happened since having to use the RP room to look for roleplay. The lack of the tags in the Library makes a STILL very popular place less usable to me, and it seems to many others. Your backwards work around of putting a tag in your profile saying "If I'm online and in the library, I'm LFRP" defeats the use of the Online and LFRP tags in the FUCKING FIRST PLACE.

---

...even worse. I've only just taken a look at the graph Eka posted a page back. Seriously, what the fuck? The trends were showing almost PERFECT levels of users in each room. AND THEN YOU DO THESE CHANGES?! TO BALANCE THE ROOMS?! LOOK AT THE GRAPH! HOLY FUCK, IT'S NOT DIFFICULT, LOOK AT THE CURVE, IT LOOKS PERFECTLY BALANCED ALREADY!!! ALL THREE MAJOR ROOMS ARE LEVELING OUT TO BE USED EQUALLY!!!
Last edited by ShrunkenGiant on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShrunkenGiant
Been posting for a bit

Postby Insomnant » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:12 am

delet this
Last edited by Insomnant on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insomnant
New to the forum

Postby Eka » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Essentially, Eka, I'm asking, on behalf of what it seems like quite a number of people here (Both on the forums and on the chat) to either put LFRP signs back into the Library, or implement something that lets us filter out ALL public chat. I don't want to see it all the time, and while I'm fairly open compared to what I do, I know a LOT of people who have specific interests and moods, and will NOT want to see these constant RPs going on around them while looking for RPs that suit THEIR interests.

Filtering out all public chat is not going to be implementable in the foreseeable future, and it totally destroy the propose of this place. Unlikely to be considered.

Also, if you look at the graph, you should see the trend too.

As for the whole balance thing. I think you are misunderstanding our balance tactic. We are not here to make every room to have exactly the same user, we are here to make Roleplay room the most user possible.

However, failing that. One user in OOCW room is still better then one in Library considers library is basically over saturated and trending to go way higher if something isn't done.

Anyhow, for anyone who plans on relying on the LFRP tag to survives BUT for some reason can not handle public roleplay. you could just hang out in the OOCW room.
Eka
Administrator

Postby TARDIS » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Eka wrote:Filtering out all public chat is not going to be implementable in the foreseeable future, and it totally destroy the propose of this place. Unlikely to be considered.

I'm curious as to how the different populations in the entirety of Eka's Chat would define "the propose [sic] of this place." I'm not entirely sure that the rogue chat-goer that wants to filter out the noise in the chat rooms (the kind of person who finds public chat filtering "needed" and not "silly") is as rare and aberrant as you and the other devs seem to think they are.

As I've said before, there are a lot of people who like their chats quiet - the kind of people who inhabited the IC room in the old chat and the Library in the new chat. Some people use Eka's Chat not as a chat exactly, but rather as a form of IM service that is always serving up both new and familiar people who are online and who might like to roleplay.

Eka wrote:Anyhow, for anyone who plans on relying on the LFRP tag to survives BUT for some reason can not handle public roleplay. you could just hang out in the OOCW room.

I think you're missing the point. The issue isn't people who rely on the LFRP tag and can't handle public roleplay. The Issue is the people who consider any room that has public chat filtering (or some equivalent) strictly superior to any room without it. The people that don't want any junk on their screen, in-character, out-of-character, or anywhere in between that isn't directly addressed to them. The people to whom the gradual subtracting of features in the Library and the gradual adding of features in the other rooms (save the asked-for public chat filtering) is completely irrelevant, as the only rooms they will consider are the ones that are PM-only.

The question to you and the other devs is "How much are you willing to mutilate the chat and cause massive collateral damage to the chatgoers who are following the 'correct' way of using the chat to try and force the intransigents to abandon their anti-social ways and be herded to the Roleplay room like good sheep?" Because for some here, the only way to get them out of the Library is to either A.) add ~some~ form of chat filtering, even some clunky kind of semi-ignore function that blocks the public chat but allows private messages, or B.) delete the Library, at which time they'll go to the next-quietest room, and we'll have the "Dead Silent IC Room" phenomenon all over again.
TARDIS
New to the forum

Postby Eka » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:23 pm

TARDIS wrote:I'm curious as to how the different populations in the entirety of Eka's Chat would define "the propose [sic] of this place." I'm not entirely sure that the rogue chat-goer that wants to filter out the noise in the chat rooms (the kind of person who finds public chat filtering "needed" and not "silly") is as rare and aberrant as you and the other devs seem to think they are.

As I've said before, there are a lot of people who like their chats quiet - the kind of people who inhabited the IC room in the old chat and the Library in the new chat. Some people use Eka's Chat not as a chat exactly, but rather as a form of IM service that is always serving up both new and familiar people who are online and who might like to roleplay.

I think you're missing the point. The issue isn't people who rely on the LFRP tag and can't handle public roleplay. The Issue is the people who consider any room that has public chat filtering (or some equivalent) strictly superior to any room without it. The people that don't want any junk on their screen, in-character, out-of-character, or anywhere in between that isn't directly addressed to them. The people to whom the gradual subtracting of features in the Library and the gradual adding of features in the other rooms (save the asked-for public chat filtering) is completely irrelevant, as the only rooms they will consider are the ones that are PM-only.

The question to you and the other devs is "How much are you willing to mutilate the chat and cause massive collateral damage to the chatgoers who are following the 'correct' way of using the chat to try and force the intransigents to abandon their anti-social ways and be herded to the Roleplay room like good sheep?" Because for some here, the only way to get them out of the Library is to either A.) add ~some~ form of chat filtering, even some clunky kind of semi-ignore function that blocks the public chat but allows private messages, or B.) delete the Library, at which time they'll go to the next-quietest room, and we'll have the "Dead Silent IC Room" phenomenon all over again.

PM Only? Filtering public chat? Why stop there? Why not ask for a notification to info you of your favourite partner coming online? Sound fantastic doesn't it? Perhaps private room system, too? Guess what? All those thing already exist. You can find those easily on MUCK and IRC. In fact, there are vore chat room on various IRC and muck. Check the link section, what you are asking for, have already been done for many many years in other places. Way before this site came around and way before this chat got active. The reason why this site doesn't do those is because we are here to give people more options, and the one thing IRC and muck doesn't have is an active public vore roleplay room.

It isn't a number game. There are no denying that the desire of a chat room that let them do whatever they want is there. But the ideal chat room for the community does not match exactly the same thing.

You might wonders why it works like that. If you are interested I will consider spending the time to explains further. But I don't make this kinda decision without seeing how it worked in other places and how something makes or break the atmosphere of the community. I know you would probably like to think I am just making rash decision and have no idea what I am doing. Or I do thing cause that is how I like it (I only roleplay in private. why would I takes away features that would help myself?) I do it for the community.

By the way, the Dead silent IC room issue we had a few years ago didn't even have anything to do with the library.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Zeus3rd » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:37 am

That would mean opening the private logs and checking them continuously, and most people don't know about them. So for the person sending messages to others who don't see their messages, that's not helpful at all.

I would think a better idea would be to have two whisper rooms, one for people searching and one for people playing. I'm finding it very annoying when people miss my whispers because their screens are flooded with multiple RPs they're not watching or caring about and OOC chatter about those RPs which don't concern them.

We're not all voyeurs.

As this seems to be the last place I have found with people RPing in it, I'm very disappointed in this decision to make finding RPers even harder than it already was. Please reconsider it.
Zeus3rd
New to the forum

Postby Eka » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:46 pm

Zeus3rd wrote:That would mean opening the private logs and checking them continuously, and most people don't know about them. So for the person sending messages to others who don't see their messages, that's not helpful at all.

This can be easily resolved by simply using the PUB system.
Eka
Administrator

Postby maleperduis » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm not sure I really understand the logic here. So apparently the number of people in the roleplay room is trending downwards and the number in the library is trending upwards. As I see it, there are four possible mechanisms by which that could happen:

1. People in the RP room are changing their behaviour to something they feel is more suitable to the library (i.e. they're doing more whisper-RP and less public RP). This may just be one part of the RP, such as the setup.
2. People with public-behaviour RP are leaving or becoming less active, while people who have private-behaviour RP are becoming more active
3. If players tend to do the setup and scene parts in different rooms, the parts which are associated more with the library room are taking up a higher proportion of the overall time. e.g. If somebody likes to sit in the library room looking for RP and setting it up, then go to the RP room to actually do it, they may be spending more time on the looking and/or setting up parts.
4. People in the RP room were already doing more private RP, but for whatever reason are only slowly migrating over to the library to do it without the distractions of the RP room

Potentially a combination of all four, to different extents. So let's take the assumption behind the decision to remove the LFRP and Open signs, which is that it will be a disincentive to sitting in the library during the looking and setup phases of an RP, and see how it'd effect those four causes.

1. These people have already been in the RP room, and their behaviour still changed to be more private-RP based, BEFORE they went to the library. Assuming they come back from the library to the RP room, there's no reason to suspect that trend would reverse itself. I don't see why they'd be expected to start playing in public, rather than just sitting there, staying silent except for whispers, and treating it as a library-with-distractions.
2. Essentially the same as 1. Perhaps there's some kind of watershed early on in a newcomer's experience where they start drifting towards being a public or private RPer, and perhaps spending time sitting silently in the RP room would lead them more towards the former than sitting in silence in the library, but that's a pretty tenuous and baseless assumption to work on. Otherwise, the move doesn't do anything to change the private-RP behaviour associated with library-sitters, it just means that they'll be sitting silently in the RP room instead.
3. If people are already seeking RP in the RP room and then moving to the library, this move would be useless. If it's the other way around, then the move could be successful in getting more people out of the library and into the RP room. However, once again it's very questionable whether it'd actually get them talking in public at all. Additionally, an increase in the average time spent seeking and setting up RP, if this was actually a driving mechanism (and it's a little hard to imagine that it is) isn't something that would go on forever. It's not the kind of trend that you just mindlessly expect to continue. For that reason, analysing the graph as a trend towards the library is wrong, because the trend will have some ceiling, that you won't know about until you hit it. Since, as somebody pointed out before, the numbers are actually pretty balanced right now, anticipating that this trend would just go on and pre-emptively trying to correct for it is wrong.
4. Another trend with a ceiling to it. There's only so many of these people, and the longer the time period the less likely it seems ("I was hanging out in the RP room for my first few days but then I switched over to the library" sounds much more believable than "I was hanging out in the RP room for my first few years but then I switched over to the library"). So exactly the same objections as 3, including that it seems a little less believable.

I should say it's also possible that there's net flow via the vore room (RP -> vore -> library), but this would occur by the same mechanisms as above, more or less, so it doesn't really change any analysis.

So a couple key points:
Being in the RP room doesn't itself necessarily make people any more likely to RP publicly, leaving you with a situation identical to the one where you didn't move anybody, except with a few names in a different place on the list. That's the old confusing cause and effect. People who go to the RP room tend to RP more, so move people to the RP room and get more public RP. People who go to the opera tend to be rich, so give opera tickets to the homeless and help them become wealthy. Etc. It's possible that some kind of public-RP-iousity would rub off on them, but I certainly wouldn't confuse a vague guess at the psychology of a large and disparate group of people with hard data or analysis, no matter how many graphs you wave around in the process. This possibility is especially undermined if a lot of the movement to the library is due to mechanism 1, where people were already in the RP room and still changing their behaviour towards private RP.
Also yes, the graph seems to show a clear trend, but just naively assuming that trends will continue may be wrong. Some mechanisms (i.e. 3 and 4) will have natural limits to them, and so for those it makes sense to react to where the points actually are, not where you guess they're going to be.
maleperduis
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Roskel » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:15 pm

You know what we should be talking about?
The fucking weather.
Roskel
New to the forum

Postby Paradox » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Roskel wrote:You know what we should be talking about?
The fucking weather.

XD
... outside my house in RL: it rains like the sky has broken and the world will soon drown.
--- the chat weather says its a nice and sunny day to play outside.
me: i try to find out how to permanent ignore the weather messages! :roll:
You're welcome to visit my Gallery here on Ekas :3
(just click on the dancing girl)
Paradox
---

Postby TARDIS » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:01 am

So now that about two months have passed since the change, what are the results?
TARDIS
New to the forum

Postby ShrunkenGiant » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:16 am

Absolutely fuck all, most likely.

I mean, she gave us a great alternative. If I don't want to look for RP in a room where a load of public stuff is going on, I can just look for RP in the OOC room! Oh wait... People in there are likely not wanting to roleplay...

*The need to say something of bannable offense, rising...*
ShrunkenGiant
Been posting for a bit

Postby ShrunkenGiant » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:28 am

Eka wrote:PM Only? Filtering public chat? Why stop there? Why not ask for a notification to info you of your favourite partner coming online? Sound fantastic doesn't it? Perhaps private room system, too? Guess what? All those thing already exist. You can find those easily on MUCK and IRC. In fact, there are vore chat room on various IRC and muck. Check the link section, what you are asking for, have already been done for many many years in other places. Way before this site came around and way before this chat got active. The reason why this site doesn't do those is because we are here to give people more options, and the one thing IRC and muck doesn't have is an active public vore roleplay room.

It isn't a number game. There are no denying that the desire of a chat room that let them do whatever they want is there. But the ideal chat room for the community does not match exactly the same thing.

You might wonders why it works like that. If you are interested I will consider spending the time to explains further. But I don't make this kinda decision without seeing how it worked in other places and how something makes or break the atmosphere of the community. I know you would probably like to think I am just making rash decision and have no idea what I am doing. Or I do thing cause that is how I like it (I only roleplay in private. why would I takes away features that would help myself?) I do it for the community.

By the way, the Dead silent IC room issue we had a few years ago didn't even have anything to do with the library.

Uuuurgh...

Honestly, Eka, it would help us if you could explain your reasoning better... You claim to want chat balance, which you've only just explained actually means you want more people in the Roleplay Room. So why is that? Why is it just so damn worthwhile to take such a useful feature from the private RPers to get more people in the public RP room?

Is it you want more people to RP publically? I'm really struggling to understand the reasons, since you've barely explained the changes, besides the rather odd reason of wanting 'chat balance' that isn't real balance.

And telling us to go to IRC? Your chat had decent features, and you're stripping them away! There's a certain appeal to the chat that only just began to hook me, given the rather excellent userbase, and the recent changes have not only turned me away from wanting to use the chat as regularly as I once did, but also not even roleplay as much as I once enjoyed... Your changes are backfiring in the most harsh of manners, at least for one of us, and I'm sure I can't be the only person to have been turned away from the chat because of these blind changes. The reason I don't use IRC is it doesn't have the 'click one link and choose a character' feature your chat has. So surely the obvious thing to do is make your chat BETTER than IRC, not have its features live in its shadows. Instead of implementing wanted features, you've taken out liked features, and stuck in a randomised (I'm guessing it's randomised) weather feature that, from the sounds of things already, people don't give a fuck about.

And you say they're not blind, then not explain the reasons for it. Please, just tell us why it's so important to get people out the Library and into the RP Room. Or else there's no reason to do it, and you're only doing it for... What, maybe just for attention from people like me so the visitor count and post numbers go up? Maybe you're trying to weed out the ones who will fight against you so you have a forum of sheep who'll agree to whatever you want? I honestly don't know, and that lack of knowledge is what's bringing up these idiotic ideas of mine. Saying 'room balance' isn't enough, since there's no rhyme or reason behind this.

Every answer you've given me is a workaround which the old feature had solved. By removing LFRP tags from the library, you've told us:
1. Check your private logs for RP requests in case you miss them in the sea of public RP
2. Check your PUBs (Of which very few people seem to use them, at least for me) for the same reason
3. Use the OOC room to look for roleplay (The most STUPID idea ever. There's a reason people go to the OOC room, and it isn't to roleplay)
4. Flock to the RP room to make your graphs look flatter/so you can amass your superarmy, whatever the reason behind 'room balance' is
5. Fuck off to IRC if we don't like it.

Eka wrote:I do it for the community.

Final comment: Your moves have upset a portion of that community, with not a single word of praise from anyone on the other side. You've messed up, plain and simple.
ShrunkenGiant
Been posting for a bit

Postby vegancarnivore » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Eka be powertrippin yo!
Ore wa chotto baka da ne...
vegancarnivore
Been posting for a bit

Postby Someone92 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:48 am

I don't see any signs other than DND and AFK in the Vore Room, either; is that also intended?
Also, if you guys don't want people to use the Library (and the Vore Room) to look for role plays why is it still broadcasted to all other channels via the ticker in the button of the page if you have such a sign up?
In the future it would be advisable to make those changes public via a thread in the chat room sub-forum, judging by the fact that Leshana didn't even bothered to answer my PUB asking what might be the cause of the missing signs you guys got a lot of such questions.

Gah wrote:Cut and paste the following into your profile toward the top.
<font color="gold" size="+2"> If I am in the <i>Library</i>, consider me <b><i>LFRP</i></b> </font>
Include any other information and/or personalize it to suit something you would see as beneficial to you and your persuits.
Congrats. Problem solved.

Much better solution:
- Create a character named "LFRP_<some name>" and switch to the library.
- Add a link to the character you want to play with in the description.
- Activate the DND sign if you're no longer looking for a role play.
Someone92
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Baz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:37 pm

The situation has reached the point where it's /not worth being in the RP room/ unless you've already got a partner. Any post of decent quality is quickly spammed off the screen by one-liners often RPing things that are nothing to do with vore.
"I might not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death." E. B. Hall
"I have two types of friend. You're either my kind of asshole, or my kind of nutter. It's up to you to decide which one you are!"
Baz
Yat

PreviousNext

Return to Our chat room