New Chat Update

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

Re: New Chat Update

Postby Imrhys » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Eka wrote:It is allowed.

Thank you.
Imrhys
---

Postby Eka » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Um, not really sure why you are thanking me.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Imrhys » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Eka wrote:Um, not really sure why you are thanking me.

This addresses the concerns several people have expressed to me about the loss of the DND and AWAY signs, so I am thankful for a speedy resolution. (it was one of those friends that pointed me to your post about the redirecting of traffic in the chat since I am out of town and only paying a passing attention to the Portal right now) And, where I come from, it is polite to be thankful.
Imrhys
---

Postby TARDIS » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Then would it be possible to have the option to filter out the public chat in any room? Most of the time, I'm in the Library because of all the clutter in the public chat window; if that weren't a problem, any room that is underutilized could work.

I mean, didn't we go through this in the old chat, with a massive amount of people in the room that was supposed to be used for RP'ing, yet most of the time the room was dead silent, save for an occasional RP between two people? It would seem to me that a good number of people want to be able to roleplay and look for roleplays, but don't want to have to deal with all of the static caused by all the other people in the room. That's how the old RP room was, it was my understanding that is why the Library was made in the first place, it would seem to be a popular feature.
TARDIS
New to the forum

Postby Eka » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:34 am

TARDIS wrote:Then would it be possible to have the option to filter out the public chat in any room? Most of the time, I'm in the Library because of all the clutter in the public chat window; if that weren't a problem, any room that is underutilized could work.

I mean, didn't we go through this in the old chat, with a massive amount of people in the room that was supposed to be used for RP'ing, yet most of the time the room was dead silent, save for an occasional RP between two people? It would seem to me that a good number of people want to be able to roleplay and look for roleplays, but don't want to have to deal with all of the static caused by all the other people in the room. That's how the old RP room was, it was my understanding that is why the Library was made in the first place, it would seem to be a popular feature.

I don't see how that is better.
Eka
Administrator

Postby TARDIS » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:08 am

Okay, let me express to you this way. Imagine that it's been a long day, and you'd really like to have some dinner out at a restaurant. Maybe Italian, or maybe Greek - it's hard to say, it'd depend on part on whom you go to dinner with, because really, it's a bit sad to go out to eat alone.

Anyways, you'd like to find someone to go eat with - but before you can do that, you and every other person who is looking to go out to eat, regardless of where or with whom, all have to sit at one single table. A big, round table. And since everyone is at the same table, each and every person can potentially be in a conversation with every other person, whether they like it or not. Some of them will be talking to someone else, someone might be talking to you, you can't really tell, because it is very loud at this table - and every single thing you or anyone else says makes it harder to hear for everyone else. Oh, and let's say in the meantime, there are vendors who might hand out a snack here or there, or an appetizer, but since the table is too big to get around, everything anyone might want has to be passed around the table by everyone else until it gets there. Meanwhile, you're getting elbowed by the guy next to you because he doesn't realize you're so close, there's a few kids a little ways down crying or screaming... oh, hey, she looks like she might be interested! Oh, she was looking at someone else. You start to ask someone to your right to pass the bread basket, but oh no he spills hot coffee in your lap, HOTHOTHOTHOT ---

Or, you can sit at home, pick up the phone, try calling someone who gave you their number, maybe see if your sister or brother wants to grab sushi, or even just pick up and go to a singles bar, hey, you might not find anyone, but you could use a beer. There's no one else talking in the room or on the phone, there's no confusion as to whom you're speaking with or a chance that you might miss something that someone was intending for you - everything you say and hear is relevant in some way, shape or form to you. Everything else is filtered out.

That is the difference between the Library and the RP room, between knowing that each and every thing you see on your screen is intended for you or the person you're talking to and having to listen to everything that everyone at the loud crowded table might say, whether it's relevant to you or not. When I'm looking on and off for an RP, or even just sitting back with a flag up to see if someone finds me, I tend to switch tabs, change the TV channel, get up and grab a drink - and I don't want to have to constantly go back and see what everyone else in the room said, make sure I didn't miss a PM that is now four screens up because of all the traffic, or wonder if someone I missed now thinks I'm being rude because I haven't replied.

With the public chat off, just getting PMs and knowing that they're intended for you makes all the difference. The IC room in the old chat evolved that way because the people who hung out there were quiet and whispered to each other, which would then encourage the people who wanted public interaction to go to the IC/OOC room because all the other talkers were there, which then reinforced the notion that the IC room was for quiet time, again save for a couple people here or there who would then be put on ignore so as not to interrupt your own RP.

If room load is a concern, then the option of making any room a quiet library save for any PMs you receive would be quite a help. Maybe the removal of the LFRP tags will help; I'd be interested in seeing whether it prompts a significant shift in traffic, or whether people continue to camp out there and try to make do.
TARDIS
New to the forum

Postby vegancarnivore » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:22 am

I would love to be able to filter out all other chat in any given room. View it as opening a private conversation without risk of miswhispers.
Ore wa chotto baka da ne...
vegancarnivore
Been posting for a bit

Postby Aiden » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:05 pm

You can easily poke someone, ask for an RP, and then ask to move to the library for the pre RP OOC planning.

Is that really so difficult? Cause I'm not getting why it would be an issue. I'm usually away from my computer when I have my tags up as well and I always check my private logs when I return to my screen. It's only one mouse click, and the private logs filter out everything but people's whispers.
Aiden
Participator

Postby TARDIS » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:45 pm

Aiden wrote:You can easily poke someone, ask for an RP, and then ask to move to the library for the pre RP OOC planning.

Is that really so difficult?

Are we going to the same chat? I don't know about you, but it's rare that I can just get on, ask for an RP, and be in character within five minutes. It usually takes me anywhere from an hour to two or three. That's a lot of checking, a lot of clicks, and lord help you if take more than a few minutes to respond to someone who whispers you first. In the Library, it takes all of two seconds to click on the tab, see that nothing has been posted since the last time you checked, and go back to whatever else has your attention at the moment.
TARDIS
New to the forum

Postby Aiden » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:41 pm

I found checking the private logs go a long way to guarantee you don't miss important things meant just for you.
Aiden
Participator

Postby TARDIS » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:11 pm

Yes, and it's great for checking once or twice. Spending the evening doing it every couple of minutes is less convenient, however, than having a public chat filter option, hence why I asked whether it would be feasible to implement it.
TARDIS
New to the forum

Postby Eka » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:33 pm

Firstly. Don't see how that make any sense whatsoever still, after reading what you say.

You go into the chat, found someone, then moves to the library. Pretty simple. If you are not planning on paying attention to the chat while you are looking for someone, why are you even in the chat in the first place? And if you are going to filter public chat, why not just go to the library in the first place? You can whisper anyone from any room anyway.

I fail to see how your suggestion enable any feasible use that you can not already do.
Eka
Administrator

Postby TARDIS » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:00 pm

Eka wrote:You go into the chat, found someone, then moves to the library. Pretty simple. If you are not planning on paying attention to the chat while you are looking for someone, why are you even in the chat in the first place?

Because Eka's is one of the foremost places to find vore RPs. That's what I'm there for. Not to see all the conversations that are going on, not to hear the minute details of how this person or that person found some neat little animation, not to learn about the new Justin Bieber album, only roleplay. And that can tend to take some time, and while some time is spent looking at profiles and inquiring about this or that, the rest of the time there's not much to do except keep hitting the button to see the population of all rooms. Rather than twiddling my thumbs on and off for several hours, I'm going to get some things accomplished while I frequently check for people I know, LFRP profiles that might be possibilities, etc.

Eka wrote:And if you are going to filter public chat, why not just go to the library in the first place? You can whisper anyone from any room anyway.

I fail to see how your suggestion enable any feasible use that you can not already do.

Because you removed the ability to have an LFRP flag up in the Library. As a result, I am unable to filter out the public chat while having an LFRP flag up. That is why I went to the Library in the first place. With my suggestion in place, I could be in any room that the moderators would like to divert me to for "Chat room balance" or whatever reason there was for removing the flags in the Library, and be able to filter out all traffic except PM's directed to me. I'd put each and every person in the room on ignore, but that would prevent me from getting PM's from that person too.

To put it succinctly: I want to filter out public chat, but not PM's, while having an LFRP flag up. If there is some way of doing that at the moment, please tell me, because I don't know how to do it. I used to be able to do so by going to the Library and putting up the LFRP tag; that is no longer an option, so I am looking for alternatives.
TARDIS
New to the forum

Postby Larax » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:39 am

You go into the chat, found someone, then moves to the library. Pretty simple. If you are not planning on paying attention to the chat while you are looking for someone, why are you even in the chat in the first place?

Not all people can easily find partners for their rps. Some want to try ideas too weird for the rest of people or want some unusual species or anything like that... Or none of people present in the chat may be fitting into their tastes at the moment. So, they put on on LFRP sign and brgin doing something else, waiting for the sound of whisper incoming. Sometimes things that they are doing require concentration and they may need several minutes before they are able to switch back to chat... And, if they are LFRPing in a public room - the incoming whisper would be already scrolled somewhere out of screen and they would have to search for it, either by opening private logs or by scrolling upwards, while in library all whispers adressed to you stayed on screen.

Second problem is privately chatting while LFRPing - for example I have several friends with whom I sometimes chat through whispers while looking for serious rp. And in public room amount of talking between other people cause those whispers to be pushed off screen, forcing me to scroll up and down constantly that is very annoying - and I can't chat with them in the Library, because in that case my LFRP won't be seen. I guess, people, who tend to do more than one rps at once have same problems

So, please, return LFRP signs in the library or give us ability to filter out public chat somehow.
Larax
Been posting for a bit

Postby Aiden » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Hey, with the pred I use I am the king of "ideas too weird for some people" and I have absolutely no problem at all operating without LFRP tags in the library

sit in the roleplay room and use private logs, use the scroll and look for the very easy to spot whispers (whispers really do stand out among non whispers) use I mean just scroll up and check because honestly the RP room really doesn't move all that fast so unless you leave the computer out of boredom for gigantic 30 minute increments than I don't see why the public chat would have moved whispers to where you can't see them

I don't think it's a crazy amount of effort to scroll up and check or make the measly 2 mouse clicks required to check the days private logs each time I return to my computer after afking, they don't need to add unneeded features back to the chat just because a couple of people are lazy when they return to their computers and don't want to be bothered to check anything.

As for the issue of whispering friends while displaying your tags it won't kill your RP finding efforts to move to the library for a couple minutes until you finish whatever it is you are talking about with them and then moving back to the RP room to sit with the tag, that is, provided you absolutely are unable to just talk to them in the RP room which I can't imagine being anything more than the minorest of nuisances.
Aiden
Participator

Postby TARDIS » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Aiden wrote:Hey, with the pred I use

I don't I think I need to point out the flaw in your argument, but since some people seem incapable of grasping the obvious without having it pointed out to them, I'll do so.

That's all well and good if you're a pred, but if you're not? Get ready to wait a couple hours. Preds are always in demand, and even the weirder ones can get a lot of action when preys have the choice of either trying someone new or spending the evening twiddling their thumbs.

Ultimately, there's a choice for the devs running the chat when there's a problem: you can solve it by taking something away, or you can solve it by adding something. People obviously like being able to filter out the public chat, or else there wouldn't be a problem with room imbalance in the first place, because that's the only reason to choose the Library over the other rooms. With the option to filter out the public chat, every room could be a "library", and there would be little reason for room imbalance; heck, with the filter, the Library would be unnecessary.
TARDIS
New to the forum

Postby Eka » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:40 pm

That's all well and good if you're a pred, but if you're not? Get ready to wait a couple hours. Preds are always in demand, and even the weirder ones can get a lot of action when preys have the choice of either trying someone new or spending the evening twiddling their thumbs.

You are doing it wrong if you are just going in a room and sit there waiting for whisper.

You are suppose to be actively engaging, either in public, presenting your character and make other want to go after you. Or if in private, work on getting other attention by directly whispering them after checking their profile and demonstrating a good attitude and understanding of what both of you might be interested in.

But probably too much work for you, right? So you just wait there, and expect things to go well. Well, those type of attitude is why something as silly as filtering public chat would be considered as needed and what contributes to imbalance.
Eka
Administrator

Postby Aiden » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Sorry, because you were talking about problems with sitting and waiting for whispers being more difficult I assumed you were pred.

If you are a prey and you see a pred you like you need to be whispering them. There are millions of preys around and many of them have very very specific tastes when it comes to what preds they want, so preds who have been around the chat awhile generally assume that anyone who would be interested in their character will whisper them and if a prey is not whispering them then they don't want to rp with their character.

If I'm not getting whispers I tend to just think there is no one interested in the type of pred I use at the moment and just go to the vore room for light publicing. occasionally I will poke a prey but it's rare for a pred to be bored enough and confident enough that preferences will match for him to whisper a prey.
Aiden
Participator

Postby Gah » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Cut and paste the following into your profile toward the top.

<font color="gold" size="+2"> If I am in the <i>Library</i>, consider me <b><i>LFRP</i></b> </font>

Include any other information and/or personalize it to suit something you would see as beneficial to you and your persuits.

Congrats. Problem solved.
Gah
Participator

Postby Artemis » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:04 am

I find myself missing the ability to have LFRP in the library not because I want to wait around with it up, but because it helped me thin down my choices of who I should bug at a glance. Now I feel a bit overwhelmed in the library. Some people are lurkers. Some people just want to talk. Who to talk to? No way to find out except to ask. It winds up not working very efficiently.

Thus, I find myself in the Vore Room more often than not. This is not ideal for me because I have somewhat sensitive tastes and thus would rather avoid watching public roleplay. Yet, the library and the OOC room are the only places that can be done, the latter of which is almost constantly dead.

IMO, if chat room balance is a concern the fact that the OOC room is rendered virtually obsolete by the vore room is probably a good place to start.
Artemis
Advanced Vorarephile

PreviousNext

Return to Our chat room