OOC Rants in profiles

Everything related to our vore chat room and vore roleplaying room can go here!

Re: OOC Rants in profiles

Postby player1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Aces wrote:I'm pretty sure we have such a guide already for this website.

EDIT: Yup. http://aryion.com/content/roleplay

wow, didn't even know there was one. Why isn't this page promoted on the chat or something? there's no mention of it in the chat's entrance nor in the chat's UI, i had to dig up in the FAQ to see it.. O.o

Well, id advice we put that link either as a tab n the chat's UI and as a link in the chat's entrance, iunno if peoples are in the same situation or not, it may (in my opinion) help Newbie A not to rush in too much and get that grief i speak off.
"wizards, no sense of right or wrong!" some spacemen wisdom.
player1
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Aces » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:06 pm

player1 wrote:

wow, didn't even know there was one. Why isn't this page promoted on the chat or something? there's no mention of it in the chat's entrance nor in the chat's UI, i had to dig up in the FAQ to see it.. O.o

Well, id advice we put that link either as a tab n the chat's UI and as a link in the chat's entrance, iunno if peoples are in the same situation or not, it may (in my opinion) help Newbie A not to rush in too much and get that grief i speak off.

It is. It's right in the rules page. Rule 6. Under a link to roleplaying etiquette.

In fact,
5) Ranting is prohibited

A rant is a post which is long-winded, redundant and filled with angry, non-constructive comments. A free exchange of ideas is essential to building a strong sense of community and helpful in the development of the game, but rants are disruptive and incite flaming and trolling. Please post your thoughts in a concise, clear manner and avoid going off on rambling tangents. If you must rant, please limit them only to your blog.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby coop500 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:11 am

Chryseum wrote:
DragonsFTW wrote:Another thing i've seen frighteningly often is people completely blocking a certain gender/species (especially for males this is a huge problem) just because they had a couple bad experiences with some.

The reason this is so common is simply a very strong dislike. This isn't always done to an extreme or a rant, though, as it may be done for different reasons. I myself have blocked of a few certain species in some cases, but it's simply due to the fact that I can't bring myself to enjoy any RP that I do with them. It's really just a case of "I wouldn't want you to not enjoy it, so I avoid this because I know I can't."

In any case, it's still better to let the other person know that by, instead of ranting, simply saying "Sorry, I don't really enjoy RPing with this," Then explain. Being more subtle and less of a rant about it allows you to possibly compromise something to still RP with that person. So it's not necessarily a bad thing to block off a certain species or gender, you just have to not reply like an ass if someone fails to read what you dislike.

Very well said! I was lucky to find quite a few polite people who I wasn't sure if they were interested in a male predator or not, but politeness from both sides can go miles. They would give a kind thank you but no thank you and I would politely apologize and wish them a good day. Sometimes we even end up having a friendly conversation before parting ways. Don't get me wrong though, I play a male character but that's only because I am a little picky about my predators so I figured the best cure for that was to be the predator instead.

I do indeed get turned down a lot, because really in the overall scheme of things, a humanoid gentle straight non-anime giant male is really unpopular. But I really don't mind, that's just the way it is and being angry at anyone does no one any good. I am actually surprised that some are taken of guard that I didn't get upset when they turned me down. Of course I have the female pred fans approaching me asking to change my character's gender but I say no as kindly as I can. Most accept it and everything is peaceful still, which is really really nice.

Of course I must just be lucky because I have heard of bad arguments. I do wish some will just chill out and take a polite no for a answer and understand that maybe someone just felt there was no harm in asking if your profile didn't say 100% no, so there is no need to growl and snap at them just for asking.
Writer of wholesome fandom M/F vore.
Current character focus: Chris Redfield!
coop500
???

Postby player1 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:15 am

Aces wrote:
player1 wrote:

It is. It's right in the rules page. Rule 6. Under a link to roleplaying etiquette.

In fact,
5) Ranting is prohibited

A rant is a post which is long-winded, redundant and filled with angry, non-constructive comments. A free exchange of ideas is essential to building a strong sense of community and helpful in the development of the game, but rants are disruptive and incite flaming and trolling. Please post your thoughts in a concise, clear manner and avoid going off on rambling tangents. If you must rant, please limit them only to your blog.

to be honest, this is not enough to have peoples look at it, it's presented again as a tiny redundant link in the list of rules, while in my opinion should be the first thing to be seen on the chat's entrance. I don't want to put myself as an example (im bad at closely reading stuff) but peoples who overlook rules will skip it or (like in my case) not even notice it, but this is digressing from the point, maybe the next suggestion to give to Leshy.
"wizards, no sense of right or wrong!" some spacemen wisdom.
player1
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby RachelBabe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:23 pm

I find it far more annoying when a profile has a million dumb rules they require you to follow, even some that require an entrance exam of their rules before any rp. I mean, wtf?!
RachelBabe
Participator

Postby Aces » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:12 pm

Rachel Babe wrote:I find it far more annoying when a profile has a million dumb rules they require you to follow, even some that require an entrance exam of their rules before any rp. I mean, wtf?!

That's fine. Just don't rant about it on your profile. Just don't RP with them.
Aces
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Artemis » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Liz wrote:They even have a large OOC paragraph saying how horrible a person is to like some of the things mentioned about and one or two of these players have asked for RPs or what no from me even though I have things on their list of doom and evil. They even harass other users who like what they detest and attack people for enjoying what they enjoy.

You can absolutely report them for this sort of thing. It wouldn't be the first time someone has gotten banned for being a rude, obnoxious kink shamer.

I recall a time, years ago, where someone tried to publicly shame me for not being into sex--right in the chat for everyone to see. I remember trying to ignore it and eventually having to tell them off for being supes creepy.
Artemis
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby XDDX » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:18 pm

I am guessing people who go to lengths to write about all the things that did not like in a character/partner have just had lots of bad experiences. I have ranted before, although I usually just rant at people because I feel the rant is much more effective that way. It is a rant after all, getting something off your chest, that kind of thing.

In the end, it comes down to a person's preferences and if a person does not want to see or read about a thing because they do not like it or it disgusts them or whatever, then that is fine and they are very much in their 'right' to stop talking to someone if they insist on bringing it up anyways. It has something to do with respect and people like to be respected! If people are not respected often enough, they'll rant about it and make a big, giant manifesto of things that suck. At that point they can either keep that up or they can take a break from it all but that is just my opinion.

I have my own giant manifesto of suck although I don't really write it down. I just expect people to not bother bringing things up when I don't write about me enjoying them.
XDDX
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Rathe » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:54 am

I think the irony of it all is that, in my experience, 99% of the people who are, for lack of a more polite term, the cause of the bad experience - These people do not read profiles, anyway. Your caps-locked, vitriolic message are only going to turn away good people who might otherwise have contacted you. If I am reading your profile, I am doing so because I am interested in playing and respect your time enough to not bother you until I've established we might have compatible preferences. I did not come to read you rant about something you don't enjoy - this isn't supposed to be your soapbox to decry the evils of something somebody else likes. There's a time and place on the internet for angry rants - they can be entertaining. I'm no bastion of calmness, myself. But if you can't even keep a happy face on for long enough to write a profile that doesn't insult a large percentage of those who read it, you come off as somebody who absolutely cannot control your emotions. If that's how you come across when writing a profile that there's absolutely no time limit on, how do you act in the circumstance that something may come up during the RP? Heated moments can happen, but if you're really that upset, don't choose that time to write your profile. Not only does it give anybody who bothers to develop an informed opinion a negative first impression of you, it's downright disrespectful to those who are actually trying to create an RP that's enjoyable to both parties.
Rathe
Somewhat familiar

Postby Jswrighting » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:06 am

player1 wrote:
Aces wrote:
DragonsFTW wrote:Yeah, there is a certain not to be made here.

Noting in your kinks that you down't want to do this or that as it's not to your liking, that's perfectly normal.

However it becomes ridiculous when people go talking down on other's people's kinks, calling them out on it and whatnot. Another thing i've seen frighteningly often is people completely blocking a certain gender/species (especially for males this is a huge problem) just because they had a couple bad experiences with some.

I think I'm seeing a slight double-standard here.

i don't want to legitimize any kind of verbal brutality, but i feel a there's a perspective missing there.

Let's create newbie A as the stereotypical newbie arriving in the chatrooms. Newbie A is just discovered eka's or has been lurking at it for a while and decides to tempt his chance with rping. Of course, newbie A is generally a male that as Ace mentions is barely 18-25 years old, has no real experience with roleplaying than the usual sterotypes about dnd. newbie A chreates a character, what gender? Well he's a male so let's aim for low and make his first charatcer a male. now with the species. Newbie A always watched the furry fandom from afar and may like a monster girl or two, but he prefer his char to be what he know's more, human (of course we can create the newbie A bis whoo into furrry even before joining and creates the average male deer, husky). Achievement get! Create a character! "Now now.." ponders newbie A "am i more into being prey or pred?" and the majority of you peeps know the answer.

I mean i'd call myself a newbie (seeing as i've only been RPing for what? 3 days now?) but I just kinda did what the pred wanted until I got confident enough to start really playing. Then one night I came up with a character and have had very successful RPs ever since! so yea, character sheets mean the world in RP. 8)
-------------
W O O
-------------
Jswrighting
Somewhat familiar

Postby BBthewolf » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:24 am

First thing i saw on a profile "I am not here for vore or rp i am just here to chat" , But they have a rp character a description of said character and sliders for the character
BBthewolf
Been posting for a bit

Previous

Return to Our chat room