VRPG (exe) Modded - a WinVista/7 compatible version

Duamutef's fans goes here!

Moderator: Duamutef

Re: VRPG (exe) Modded - a WinVista/7 compatible version

Postby Midir » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:37 am

massive27 wrote:Try this new gamefile (you should rename it to replace the one you currently have)
https://github.com/massive27/VRPG/blob/ ... -09-06.exe
click "view the full file" to download

It does not help unfortunately!

Well it did stop crashing at least it seems, but I still get mistakes like that:
- lacking certain gif files when I move to the nearby location, and sometimes when I move back
- every time I return to the initial city I receive the 'welcome' sequence, where the elder (or who was her...) tells me the story about Trisha and gives me equipment.
Midir
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby massive27 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:21 pm

Psycho_wolvesbane wrote:Can you tell me what development environment you are using to compile the master build, is it plain Visual Basic 6.0 or something else?

Plain microsoft's visual basic 6.0 ide (with SP5)
Don't get fooled, I'm the croc in my avatar >)
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby night22 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:18 am

Just curious, does the cheat list still work on this?

Copypasting the list from an old Duamutef post, for future users that wanna use em, and just general reference.
Spoiler: show
Cheat Codes
(Just type 'em in during the game)

hipsforme (+10,000 HP)
leylines (+10,000 MP)
tittedtitan (+50 to all stats)
oneup (Gain a level)
levelmebaby (Gain 20 levels)
striptease (Gain a random set of clothes)
beingpoorsucks (+10,000 GP)
workfromhome (+1,000,000 GP)
specialrecipe (+100 Life Potions)
laxative (Immediately escape a monster's belly)
oopsie (Destroy all monsters on the map)
enzyme (Partially digest your top article of clothing)

Warp Codes

iwannagohome (Home city)
angelsaretasty (City of Angels)
allaboutallia (Allia)
firebaby (Skinbane)
wormygurgle (Wormgut)
sexyinblack (Blackscourge)
ihaveadeathwish (Thirsha's Lair)
night22
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Turbotowns » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:03 pm

Pets as in... the mercenaries you can buy?
Turbotowns
???

Postby massive27 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Turbotowns wrote:Pets as in... the mercenaries you can buy?

Pets as in mercenaries you can buy, minions you can summon, or foes you can enchant to become allies.
Note that if you attempt to eat a pet, it immediatly turn against you (as in original gameplay).

night22 wrote:Just curious, does the cheat list still work on this?

Yes, all the legacy cheats work on it, there is also some new ones.

Midir wrote:It does not help unfortunately!

I could fix those latest bugs, but ... well, y'know, irl stuff and so on. Do you think I should redo the whole win7 "special" package ? There were so much bugs in it and the latest fix will prevent many of those "fail" for all the future gamers...
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby Midir » Sat May 02, 2015 9:15 pm

Special package - do you mean Throku's mod?

I think I am able to locate the bug more precisely now - I think the problem is that my main quest progress is not saved correctly when I am playing Throku version. Everything else seems to work more or less fine though. If I save and then load from the village it gives me some particular error, about inability to read a file from Data.pak. I still wonder if it does not work only on my machine?

I think I will try and take a peek at the code myself, I am curious what would it look like. I still do not have much free time available too... I think it could be pretty curious to try and make it more modable, so that it would be possible to create custom games or modes, based on VRPG. Honestly, there is lots of nice content in it already and it would be a shame to simply abandon it.

PS. Oh my it seems installing VB 6.0 on Win 7 is nearly impossible, it's faster to install Win XP instead. Do you think... it would be possible to upgrade the code for newer versions of Visual Studio? You would need to upgrade it to VS 2008,and then to 2010... doesn't sound too easy though...
Midir
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby sweetladyamy » Wed May 20, 2015 2:38 pm

I really hope the game works; I've missed it so much.

Like many other lovely people commenting in this forum, I too love to just give myself to the predators (having found that I like watching it happen).

I also like modifying the conversations, and the city layouts to have more fun (I hope that if I do this with this version it won't mess things up).
Amyrakunejo, Heiress of Purity

Philosophical Pagan Anarchist Femme Fair Gamer Lesbian Metalhead Chick
sweetladyamy
---

Postby massive27 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Midir wrote:Special package - do you mean Throku's mod?

Not only that, but the whole repack+installer in the link of the thread's first message.

Midir wrote:I think I am able to locate the bug more precisely now - I think the problem is that my main quest progress is not saved correctly when I am playing Throku version. Everything else seems to work more or less fine though. If I save and then load from the village it gives me some particular error, about inability to read a file from Data.pak. I still wonder if it does not work only on my machine?

I almost sure it's related to the data.pak limited to 1024 files (mpq format used by duam) . I've been working on a homemade package file format to avoid that. It works already, but didnt published it with vrpg.

Midir wrote:PS. Oh my it seems installing VB 6.0 on Win 7 is nearly impossible, it's faster to install Win XP instead. Do you think... it would be possible to upgrade the code for newer versions of Visual Studio? You would need to upgrade it to VS 2008,and then to 2010... doesn't sound too easy though...

Forget it. Visual studio 6 will run only under winXP, newer win version are quite borky with it (the ide is painfully slow). Also upgrading to a newer language is like rewritting everything, .NET language is alot different. I'd rather rewrite it in Java so everyone could play this legacy game but... i'm a java rookie :(

sweetladyamy wrote:I also like modifying the conversations, and the city layouts to have more fun (I hope that if I do this with this version it won't mess things up).

It wont mess things up if you only modify existing txt/dat files. If you add new ones you'll run into the data.pak file limitation error.
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby forumlurker » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:23 am

Might be off topic, but I have no clue where else to post it.

I've tried a new game yesterday. It's rather hard and unforgiving at times, but the game immediately made me think of Duamatef's VRPG. The game is called "Age of Decadence". So far it's a fun game. The combat is turn based though and the maps aren't spammed with monsters, but especially the events and conversations reminded me of this game right away. I'm not sure how hard this game is to mod, but looks like it has great potential for it. If anything, you might want to try out the game.
forumlurker
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Scarlet » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:20 pm

So if anyone is still active in this thread, I get the same error as someone earlier, on trying to make a character (after entering name) I get 'Run-time error '430': Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface'. Trying to run on win8 if that's anything to do with it.
Scarlet
New to the forum

Postby massive27 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Scarlet wrote:So if anyone is still active in this thread, I get the same error as someone earlier, on trying to make a character (after entering name) I get 'Run-time error '430': Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface'. Trying to run on win8 if that's anything to do with it.

Still that error 430 ??! it usually being d3drm.dll that is missing...
Maybe try this little package :
viewtopic.php?p=927322#p927322
massive27
Somewhat familiar

Postby Slayerhero90 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:43 am

Pretty sure this is dead but I'm using Windows 7 and I can report that the class select screen seems kinda broken once you complete the game on a couple difficulties.

Completion on normal adds succubus and angel classes perfectly fine.
Completion on the next mode seems to unlock four classes, which can only be selected by clicking their names. I don't know if the portrait is not rendering or just buried under the other elements on the screen.
Completion on the highest mode doesn't seem to unlock anything at all.

Don't know if that's actually bugged or just incomplete.

I've also observed an issue in getting worm sprites to render. They turn into morningstars. Possibly related is a crash on trying to access the big worm's lair from the cave girls' city.
Slayerhero90
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby AustinWolfclaw » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:35 pm

Sorry to revive a dead thread but....
I prefer the 1.0 version, and i still have to use winXP for it. was wondering if you could make 1.0 compatible with Win10?
Anyway, I've made up some enemies using Daz Studio and XNA Posing Studio, if you wanna see them, let me know.
AustinWolfclaw
Somewhat familiar

Postby Erecant » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:45 pm

afaik, no version works with Windows 10, some core dependencies were broken. Despite that, it would be fun to see what you've done, a few of us did some pretty heavy conversation side modding, but not a whole lot of modding with enemies.

--Erecant
Erecant
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Revx_Z » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:56 am

Erecant wrote:afaik, no version works with Windows 10, some core dependencies were broken. Despite that, it would be fun to see what you've done, a few of us did some pretty heavy conversation side modding, but not a whole lot of modding with enemies.

--Erecant

The version from the start of this thread runs for me on Win10 if I run it in Compatibility Mode for Win7.
It doesn't work perfectly - in particular, I've noticed that trying to enter the Worm Cave crashes the game due to missing location file.
This can be fixed by copying and pasting the Worm Cave location file from an older version of the game into the current game folder. I've attached it here for convenience.
Attachments
Wormcave.txt
(3.38 KiB) Downloaded 1144 times
Revx_Z
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby nnnddt » Sun May 26, 2019 5:52 am

Hey guys, i got a bug with my saves.

When i load, it put me on a new game menu, wash away my stats, name and levels but let me keep my items. Someone heard a solution for this problem ?
nnnddt
Somewhat familiar

Postby Achilles » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:18 am

I play this game, but instead of worms I have some textures of weapon. Only in modded version.

https://i.imgur.com/oPseK2C.png
Achilles
Somewhat familiar

Postby sweetladyamy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:56 pm

Achilles wrote:I play this game, but instead of worms I have some textures of weapon. Only in modded version.

https://i.imgur.com/oPseK2C.png

As far as I know, it's some PAK error. I forget how it's fixed though, as it's been a long time since I last played it.
Amyrakunejo, Heiress of Purity

Philosophical Pagan Anarchist Femme Fair Gamer Lesbian Metalhead Chick
sweetladyamy
---

Postby NinaMercerV » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:58 pm

Does this work for windows 10? I do want to actually try this game out.
NinaMercerV
New to the forum

Postby Mech__Warrior » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:25 am

NinaMercerV wrote:Does this work for windows 10? I do want to actually try this game out.

It does if you install the Windows 7 compatible stuff
Sorry for not posting, in college and stuff. Also, exams are this week. >.<
Mech__Warrior
???

Location: You could be proxy man. IMMA FIREWALLIN' MAH LAZOR!!

Previous

Return to Duamutef's Dimension