OpenCanvas Equivalent

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

OpenCanvas Equivalent

Postby ImaginaryZ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:45 pm

I am making a program to replace OpenCanvas. (OpenCanvas1.1 b68)

OpenCanvas was a older drawing program. Something like paint, but with tablet support and the most important feature of being able to network 4 people together so you could all draw at once. Similar to Oekaki. Something like if all your friends had a whiteboard and everyone got a marker; chaos and hilarity ensues! (you might be able to find it, if not message me or something to get this program, it's free)

However, it's no easy task to make something even as simple as OpenCanvas, but it needs to be done.

If you have suggestions for features to be added/removed from this imaginary paint program, or comments/suggestions in general about networked painting programs, let's hear em!

Current list of features:

"Infinite Space" concept; Instead of defining how large you want your image to be, you are by default given a incredibly large (8000x8000 or so) canvas to draw on. Obviously it doesn't allocate that immediately (253 MB of memory) and so breaks up the entire canvas into nice 64x64 tiles, which are invisible to the user (unless they set an option to see them)
With tiles, you can delete, copy, move transparently and send those messages to the networked clients, so you can finally move your drawing around without too much of a problem. Saving a image file will automatically calculate what "images" you can save, or you can select your own region to save.

Basic tools; Nothing too fancy here, your paintbrush is actually just drawing a (at max) 256x256 pixel bitmap in a line, scaling as nessecary. This means any tile, or external image can be used as a paintbrush. (you can define your own shapes, and the networking part handles it accordingly) tools will be added for clipping and wrapping regions, and special support for sprite editing will be in place (yes, networked sprite sheet editing! About time! >.<)

Networking; Nothing too weird here, simply a guaranteed message system that attempts it's best to compensate for lags via tile queues; like all networked programs, the data will get there, but you might see some jumps. However, it works.

Replay/Record; The ability to save a file, and open it anytime later for another session, as well as watching an event file in action. A interesting thing is that since the canvas is broken up into tiles, it can synchronize everyone together, so you can all see the same thing (a good thing!) allowing for copy/paste of images and whatnot.

Additional; One thing I did a lot was try to draw words on the canvas. Now you can ctrl+click (or meta+click) and stick post it notes on the canvas where you can type advice, hints, or cartoony messages. All those events are saved as well (finally), so you can make cartoons with it. Additional easter eggs will definitely be preset, as well as a curve tool and some handy graphics "filters"

This isn't going to be a quick project, but I have most of the framework down. I just need some help to get a macintosh and random linux PC to compile it on; it uses wxWidgets and STL, all C++, and gcc / mingw. (prefer Code::Blocks)

A side note; The program can and will devour memory, but only if you use it. It defaults to about 8 or so MB (depending on your monitor resolution) but can easily swallow an additional 253 MB if you were to draw on the ENTIRE canvas. (the reason it has a limit is for networking, not because it can;t handle 32000 x 32000 TILES, which is... 2,048,000 x 2,048,000 pixels...)

Oh yeah, my version will be free. ;)
Loving-Ultra-Cuddle-Soft-Vore aficionado;
Fur Affinity
Deviant Art
YouTube
Nothing worth doing is easy!
ImaginaryZ
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: OpenCanvas Equivalent

Postby Eka » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:06 pm

It will be very difficult, but yeah.. O.o
Eka
Administrator

Re: OpenCanvas Equivalent

Postby Dolorcin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:27 pm

All the best, seems ambitious!
Dolorcin
Advanced Vorarephile

UI design

Postby ImaginaryZ » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:57 am

Smooth sailing so far. Now it is design on the UI time.

I can always use lots of sketches and suggestions on how a "paint tool" should look, especially since it is entirely subjective and personal. Everyone wants their GUI to look n feel different, but then how many windows are there and what should they look like?

As far as I can tell, I'm going to need a "Brush" tool, a "Tile/Memory" tool, and the networking/Chat window. Designing these is next, implementing isn't too hard since the backend part works fine.

I may regret posting this, but this is the current debug version. It does NOT save files yet, so do NOT use it for a project. It only draws to test the memory internals. Hardly any of the options work, but you can change the brush color and size.
wxDrache (windows build)
This is more to attract interest to the project, since people probably assume I'm all talk and no walk. ;) Let me know if it crashes or does something weird.

What/How would you like to see a paint tool? what should it have on it? Color swatches, art palette, numbers, sliders, what? I can use any ideas, and I can also implement all of these things, which is probably what I'll end up doing. (collapsible panes, yay?)
Loving-Ultra-Cuddle-Soft-Vore aficionado;
Fur Affinity
Deviant Art
YouTube
Nothing worth doing is easy!
ImaginaryZ
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: UI design

Postby MrHoppy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:51 pm

In response to both posts: I'm on a random Linux flavour. Ubuntu Feisty, 2.6.20, amd64. (Don't I sound like I know what I'm talking about?) I can't give obs unless you care to release a Linux or source version---of course, don't both if it's a lot of trouble.

The idea's a cool project. I hope it's going well!
MrHoppy
Participator

Re: UI design

Postby Min » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:39 am

hmmm.. interesting :3 if you need help witha logo, or a UI, gimme a ring ;3

[email protected] and I go no crashes or anything, but yah x3 none of the features really work, but I've never seen one of these developed before :D and a program superior to OC with it's networking capability? GENIUS!
Min
Been posting for a bit

Return to Vore game