Fun with Warcraft III

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Fun with Warcraft III

Postby Blackraven2 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:19 am

Dunno if this is the right forum part to post this, but I think Id like to share some experiecne with Warcraft III (and its world editor)

The game itself, features quite a number of interesting creatures (dragons, the Kodo beast, etc)
which have a "devour" ability. It works like a spell or special ability when controlling the creature in the game, its description is something like "devours an enemy unit and deals 5 damage per second to it until the targets lifepoints reach zero. If the kodo beast/dragon is destroyed while the digested unit is still alive, it will "pop out" again.

The world editor of warcraft allows to create and edit any unit/creature and use it in the game at will, so it is possible to give the "devour" ability to, for example a dryad (warcraft dryads are cute female deertaurs, you will like them)

in the level editor the devour ability is similar to other "carry units inside another unit" abilities (like the zeppelin, tank and some buildings have) and really are two abilities working together.
a "load" ability to shove other units inside, and a "cargo" ability to be able to carry stuff inside.
failing to give a unit the correctly matching pair of abilities will crash the game with a segmentation fault *sic*
it is also impossible to give the same unit both a devour and a load cargo ability, since they need different cargo abilities that cant work at the same time
("devour cargo" holds one unit and deals 5 damage per second, the carry cargo ability loads up to 4 units without damage)
that means you cannot create a beast that can devour lethally and non lethally at the same time

there are also some limitations to the devour ability. it is not possible to devour units of your own player (though you can devour units of a a player who shares unit control, wether allied or not)
while loading cargo will only work with your own units.

also its impossible to devour a unit which has the devour ability itself
(probably an attempt of the programmers to avoid recursion)

in some cases it is possible to mix abilities that werent supposed to go together. for example the "meatwagon" unit can store corpses on board and load/unload them with separate (get corpse/ drop corpse) abilities.
it is not possible to combine "get corpse" with "devour cargo" (there is a separate cannibalize ability though), but "drop corpse" WILL work with devour cargo, and in that combination create a unit which can spit out a devoured unit at will.

I made two additional dryad types, one which devours opponents, and one which can store up to 4 own units in her body.
it is possible to load a devouring dryad into a storing one, and then devour that one with another players devouring dryad, creating an interesting chain.
however when one of the eaten carrying dryads dies, its "cargo" will reappear outside the outermost dryad (aka its meals meal will be spit out) with full(or at least their original) health.

you can use the devouring dryad to carry an allied unit to safety and then release it again with the "drop corpse" ability (if you are fast enough to not digest it completely)

if you still have that game, feel free to play around ;)
Blackraven2
Been posting for a bit

Re: Fun with Warcraft III

Postby Firon » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:30 am

it is possible to use load cargo and devour....you just have to be clever.....like setting the creature as mechanical for one....that makes it aact like a zepp

then replace the devour ability with load cargo but change the animations and sound effects to that of devour.....thus giving you a troop carrying dragon for example.....using it's stomach as the means to carry

have fun!
Firon
---

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 pm

Interesting, never thought of the drop corpses combo. It still doesn't break the devour limited to one unit wall though. But I think I have a way. Im doing my own vore mod and heres my idea:

Call the charm ability devour and change its sounds and effect to devour. Give your unit the charm load and cargo abilities. Make a trigger than activates on charm and when a unit is charmed. Tell the unit to load itself in the unit that used charm. Change the unit back to its original team. Add the unit to a unit group called stomach or similar and every second of the game apply damage to the units in said group. Detect death of units in said trigger then create a doodad/destructible resembling poop at their last location.

Thats how im going about vore. Devour turned out to not be involved in the solution at all since it is largely hard coded and not very editable. Its kinda complicated but hey who said getting things to work your way would be easy?
ryanshowseason3
???

Postby Marked » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:00 pm

I remember doing this stuff when I first got the game, seems like you all are getting it right. If you like growth or weight gain with vore you can set up a trigger to increase the size of the pred unit for each unit that dies to the damage trigger.

If you like male preds the Taren chiften is great, part of his war stop animation is that he lunges down with his head and opens wide, it looks like his is actually voring something, and this animation usually kicks in on its own if you give hims a devour ability.
Marked
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:04 pm

uhhhhh what action did you intend on using to make the preds bigger? I've never seen anything like that in the editor. But even if there is I doubt it has an option to make just the stomach bigger I assume it just makes the unit as a whole look bigger.

What I was planning to do was to edit the models the game uses and make versions that have distended bellys, etc. Then give each pred the ability that druids of the claw have to transform. then set the model to use to the distended model.
ryanshowseason3
???

Postby Krono » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:10 pm

It sounds cool. Does anyone have any screencaps?
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Mordecai » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Krono wrote:It sounds cool. Does anyone have any screencaps?

Of the characters, or of the devouring?

WC3 is an older game, and you have to cut it some slack - when a unit is 'devoured', the attacking unit lunges, there's a big salival splatter, and the unit that used to be there vanishes. The idea's hot, but the animation isn't enough to satisfy anyone.
Mordecai
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:59 pm

exactly what I was thinking mordecai.
ryanshowseason3
???

Postby kirche » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:39 am

I once created a great map... If you ever played flag tag... But yes, we all have fun
Just a normal person.
kirche
Another Trekkie...

Postby Alkina » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:57 am

Hmmm. Fat little dryad skipping off to battle, her belly full of night elves? Now THAT'S something I can get behind. :D
-I'm- the reason why your mother told you not to go out at night...
Alkina
Somewhat familiar

Re:

Postby fubarone » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:40 pm

I've done all of these vore things on the WCIII world editor, honestly even done right, it's really notworth the effort unless you are able to make custom models and animations, otherwise it gets boring real fast.

Edit:

Oh yeah there is 1 exception though, I was workign on a real game idea a while back that my non-vore friends liked. Basiacally it's humanoids vs monsters, where the humans attempt to claim the spot of domonate species and the monsters fight back. Humans win by catching/eating animals and monsters, well you get the idea. Basically the score is kept by the number of critters/peasants you eat. In which case the only defense is a good offense.

I've been real bored lately so if you really would like to see that, I mit get back to it but I lost everything I had done.
fubarone
"The Half-

Re:

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:45 am

I am doing some model editing. making new animations for models is way too lengthy a process for one person to undertake on a multitude of models. I'm hoping to make up for the pretty cruddy graphics and animations the same way wc3 did in the first place. Balanced strategic gameplay, and a pretty good storyline.
ryanshowseason3
???

Re:

Postby fubarone » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:16 am

Well, along those lines of sacrificing graphics for gameplay WCIII was also developed well under Blizzards capabilities at the time, they kept the graphics minimal to make it more accessable, since it would be easier to run, it's the same with WoW. Personally I am a big supporter of gameplay over graphics, I really don't care about graphics at all...

Also i wish you luck making your models an animations, trust me I know how frustrating it is to have to work alone. MAny projects failed simply because I couldn't get any help, a direct reason why you don't see any good work from me here. I just don't have the spare time for work no one I know can ever see.
I am the Half-asser! I accept your requests get you hopes up and then dash your dreams into bits with my inability to finish any... oooh shiny!
fubarone
"The Half-

Return to Vore game