Programmer, willing to help out

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Programmer, willing to help out

Postby randomer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:43 pm

Hello there,

While I await MisterEbony finding any artwork to use in this hangvore game (viewtopic.php?f=79&t=15843) I thought I'd extend any help to anybody seeking it at the moment. As the title says, I have some experience programming, c, c++, java, php, many others. If you're a programmer yourself in need of a boost or somebody to help them keep focused, feel free to reply also.
Rad.Omer
randomer
Been posting for a bit

Re: Programmer, willing to help out

Postby Superblah » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:30 pm

I certainly could use any help I can get, I have nearly no experiance with those langauges though i do know psuedo code,
I'm interested in making an online turn based and exploritory vore game. would you be willing to help out?
Superblah
Participator

Postby randomer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:53 pm

I would be willing. Do you have anything concrete at the moment that I can read?
Rad.Omer
randomer
Been posting for a bit

Postby Superblah » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:06 pm

randomer wrote:I would be willing. Do you have anything concrete at the moment that I can read?

Not entirely, things might need to be changed around anyway, the foundation needs to be layed out, the concept isnt majorly complex at least as far as in the beginning,

The main problem with laying out any framework (in the coding aspect) for it is i have no idea how networking works, as far as storing, sending, and recieving information from other players and the server,

Object orientated methods of coding will definatly be a good fit for this kind of preliminary work,

The game will allow players to create a character involving several statistics as usual, the game itself when not in combat mod will be much more free running, like say a zelda game, and then lock itself into a turn based Srpg mode whenever theres combat or whenever something needs to be resolved in contest,

the details of everything i can easily start delving into but Is there any sort of organization you want them in? I've been meaning to write up the design documents but i cant find then in anything other than .doc format
Superblah
Participator

Postby randomer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:19 pm

What is your concept? Tell me a little bit more

If it's a template for a design document you're looking to make then maybe start with:

Story Details

Title: <title if thought of yet>

Plot: <plot or multiple plots if applicable>

Character 1: <name, other details>
Character 2: <name, other details>
Character n: <name, other details>

Game Details

Type: <MMORPG, RPG, FPS, etc>
Dimensions: <2D, 3D>
Style: <first person, third person, isomentric, side-scroller, top-down, etc>
Platform: <Internet, html-page (applet), windows, etc>

I'll be around in the afternoon (timezone: GTM) on yahoo's messenger program (add: [email protected] ) if you wish to use that to talk.
Rad.Omer
randomer
Been posting for a bit

Postby Superblah » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:47 am

The time zone you got there has no number, I guess I'll assume you live in timezone 0

Story Details

Title: No Title as of yet,

Plot: Plot or setting is more or less ambiguous, the players create their characters and interact with the world.
quests will be available, however they will not be like other MMORPG quests, they will be longer, and more unique to each individual.

Game Details

Type: <MMORPG is preferable, if this ends up beyond the scope of the project, MORPG )
Dimensions: Movement will feature in 3d, Graphics will be entirely 2d at this stage of planning,
Style: Top down Perspective,
Platform: Online computer environment, the amount of content required would either slow applets considerably or just take a very long time to load, discussion on Cross operating system compatibility is desired.

the design document you provided me wasn't what i had in mind, but i did find something that will work great

Heres an example of something i found
0 TABLE OF CONTENTS - This needs to contain EVERY major heading that you'll be dealing with. It should include sections like AI, collision, level design, front-end logic flow, controller input, and the like.
-Over world-
-In game plane-
-Map features-
-Movement system-
-Collisions detection-
-Turn based engine-
-game control input-
-Hud and GUI-
-Networking-
-Communication-
-Communicating with AI-
-Character Visuals-
-Character Design-
-Level up system-
1 FEATURE HEADING - Describes and numerates the issue/feature in question. The numerical index, established in the TOC allows for easy finding and sorting once the project is underway.
1.Character Design-
-1. Designed by Super- [email protected]
-2. To create a set of statistics that define A characters abilities both latent or otherwise including
--A. A defined list of basic ability scores, which are at the moment, Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Physical speed, Comeliness, Mental Strength, Intelligence, Mental fitness, Mental speed, and Aura,
--B. A large list of skills that are modified by ability scores depending on the type (list of skills to come later)
--C. A section of space dedicated to aquiring advantages, Functioning similarly to Talents in Wow, Feats in D&D, or skills in Diablo2, Organized by its type,
--D. A number of minor attributes that affect the character object in mischelanious ways including Vitality points, Wound points, Initiative, Size, Height, Weight, Gender, Name, Player account, Race, Age, Religion, Points.
-3.Diagrams to come
-4. Tasks assigned are mostly to Designer and Programmer, some Art
--A.Programmer, To define and code a 'character' object that contains these definitions and reserves memory for the variables, For these variables to be able to be saved, temporarily changed and referenced in other pieces of game logic.
--B.Designer, (myself) Provide detailed list and diagram of Variables, their purpose what types of values they will contain,
--C.Artist,(currently just myself) Once Sufficiently coded Provide 2d content that is compatible with Realtime display using the values provided by the object, Coding and implamentation for this art will be covered in HUD and GUI,
-5.Any questions or suggestions regarding this process, information in order to more clearly define objectives and streamline production.
Last edited by Superblah on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Superblah
Participator

Postby SeruOmen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:35 am

Randomer, if you come across someone who actually has ideas fleshed out and practical, send me a PM. As long as it would be a sprite-based game, I can help with artwork... and character design has always been a favorite of mine.
Dry Erase Kitty- where else can you find feline zombie computer viruses and inbred demon kittens?
http://dryerasekitty.thecomicseries.com/comics/
SeruOmen
I like sword

Postby Z_Evil » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:23 am

Hmmm... I wonder if I should ask for some help or not.
I am working on my own website and stuff. Need to start work on the game and everything since it seems people want that aspect of it done first.
This is the annoying part cause I was hoping people would want to see other features around first.

Let me know what kinda things you coded before, not the type of codes you used, but like... what did you use the codes to make.
Z_Evil
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby randomer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:51 am

SeruOmen wrote:Randomer, if you come across someone who actually has ideas fleshed out and practical, send me a PM. As long as it would be a sprite-based game, I can help with artwork... and character design has always been a favorite of mine.

Will do.

Z_Evil wrote:Hmmm... I wonder if I should ask for some help or not.
I am working on my own website and stuff. Need to start work on the game and everything since it seems people want that aspect of it done first.
This is the annoying part cause I was hoping people would want to see other features around first.

Let me know what kinda things you coded before, not the type of codes you used, but like... what did you use the codes to make.

Do you have something specific in mind?
Rad.Omer
randomer
Been posting for a bit

Postby Z_Evil » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:43 pm

randomer wrote:

Well no... not yet really... I was going to try and put up a sample of what the battle system might be like soon. I can easily make something with tons of options for skills and all that stuff... Just have to pick the right coding for it.

I guess I'm a bit curious if you are good at mini game coding or custom avatar coding... and what ever other misc ideas might be good.
Z_Evil
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby randomer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:04 am

Z_Evil wrote:
randomer wrote:

Well no... not yet really... I was going to try and put up a sample of what the battle system might be like soon. I can easily make something with tons of options for skills and all that stuff... Just have to pick the right coding for it.

I guess I'm a bit curious if you are good at mini game coding or custom avatar coding... and what ever other misc ideas might be good.

What specifically do you have in mind? As with Superblah, if you want to use yahoo messenger to talk more feel free to add me
Rad.Omer
randomer
Been posting for a bit

Postby 11millionseconds » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:07 pm

Haha Superblah your project is looking even more ambitious than mine... hope you can pull it off man! I'd recommend using any helper libraries you can because 3D gets very evil. If you're doing it from scratch (for example, collision detection and AI pathing/movement) then you need to know linear algebra like the back of your hand, because affine transformations and all sorts of matrix abominations will try to make your life miserable. The networking is also no easy task. In fact heck I'd be willing to help out with the networking since I already know just how awful it's going to get.

And ZEvil, I know exactly what you mean!! Show some engine screenshots, code, etc, etc, nobody cares. Post some half-done character prototype sketch that you won't get around to integrating for another two months, and instantly people bombard you with "it has potential" and "this seems like an awesome game." It's actually tempting to post the game part of the game before working on the engine, but in my opinion it's not the right way of doing it because you'll just dig a hole for yourself later to fill in.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Superblah » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:46 pm

11millionseconds wrote:Haha Superblah your project is looking even more ambitious than mine... hope you can pull it off man! I'd recommend using any helper libraries you can because 3D gets very evil. If you're doing it from scratch (for example, collision detection and AI pathing/movement) then you need to know linear algebra like the back of your hand, because affine transformations and all sorts of matrix abominations will try to make your life miserable. The networking is also no easy task. In fact heck I'd be willing to help out with the networking since I already know just how awful it's going to get.

The game wont be in 3d, as i have no method of producing 3d content for it, I would need a dedicated hardworking 3d artist to even consider it =P
at the moment, the only one doing art is me

thanks for your interest though,
Superblah
Participator

Postby randomer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:06 pm

11millionseconds wrote:Haha Superblah your project is looking even more ambitious than mine... hope you can pull it off man! I'd recommend using any helper libraries you can because 3D gets very evil. If you're doing it from scratch (for example, collision detection and AI pathing/movement) then you need to know linear algebra like the back of your hand, because affine transformations and all sorts of matrix abominations will try to make your life miserable. The networking is also no easy task. In fact heck I'd be willing to help out with the networking since I already know just how awful it's going to get.

And ZEvil, I know exactly what you mean!! Show some engine screenshots, code, etc, etc, nobody cares. Post some half-done character prototype sketch that you won't get around to integrating for another two months, and instantly people bombard you with "it has potential" and "this seems like an awesome game." It's actually tempting to post the game part of the game before working on the engine, but in my opinion it's not the right way of doing it because you'll just dig a hole for yourself later to fill in.

You don't need to put up content - that way you don't get into a hole :)
Rad.Omer
randomer
Been posting for a bit

Postby 11millionseconds » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:43 am

Agreed... but then you can never tell if the whole thing will be a major waste of time or not.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Halcyon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:16 am

11millionseconds wrote:

Agreed... but then you can never tell if the whole thing will be a major waste of time or not.
I think that, even if the overall project fails, as long as you didn't give up it wouldn't have been a waste of time, since whatever program you're using, you'll get better at, and maybe next time you'll do better :D

Well, that's from my experience, I've made vore things from all different kinds of media.
Halcyon
???

Postby 11millionseconds » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:35 pm

Halcyon wrote:I think that, even if the overall project fails, as long as you didn't give up it wouldn't have been a waste of time, since whatever program you're using, you'll get better at, and maybe next time you'll do better :D

I suppose that's true. You usually tend to fail many times before you succeed :D
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Return to Vore game