Camilla's Adventure (work in progress)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Camilla's Adventure (work in progress)

Postby 11millionseconds » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:16 pm

Hey all. I've decided that since the majority of people find 2D overhead-style vore RPGs appealing I'd give it a shot.

Also, I'm looking for people that can do sprites. I'm pretty good at graphic design but I'm probably in over my head a little with this. Any help is appreciated

Here's the general idea:

Title
Camilla's Adventure

Characters

Camilla - a girl who lives in the town of Eshaire. When the game starts she is simply working at the general store as the cashier.
Laurena - an evil (or is she? =P ) sorceress that is slowly but surely taking over all of Elandra Province. She aims to rule the world.

Arlene - a girl from the village Irma (north-northwest of Eshaire) who is captured by monsters and thrown into a dungeon.
Franchesca - another girl that's been captured by Laurena.

... there will certainly be more than this, but I can't ruin all of it for you =P

Intro

It was supposed to be a day like any other. Camilla's closing down shop at 8pm, as usual. Suddenly a wave of darkness covers the land, seamlessly propagating straight through walls and people. Camilla runs outside, and the sight is terrifying. The whole town is in uproar, with people running aimlessly about and screaming. Monsters have appeared out of nowhere, and are coming out of buildings everywhere. A giant minotaur suddenly approaches Camilla, and before she could even scream a sharp blow to the head makes the world go dark. As she comes to, Camilla finds herself in a dimly lit dungeon, chained with another girl to a huge wooden stake in the middle of the room. "Hi my name is Arlene, what's yours?" .....

Storyline (a.k.a., what happened)
Laurena has recently acquired an item called the Amulet of Venus. With it, she cast a planar effect that turned all men into monsters under her control. It's important (for later) to note the not all men were affected. The effect was planar, meaning that only those roughly at ground level were affected. 17 men survived by being either underground, in the sky, or simply very very very far away. Laurena's power is not yet complete, however, as the next important magical item, the Amulet of Mars, is required to finish the spell and turn all women into monsters. This would understandably be very bad and should probably be avoided at all costs, so there's your mission after you get out of the dungeon. If you get out, that is.

As it turns out getting out of the dungeon will be quite difficult, seeing as all exits are blocked, save one. The only exit is through the sewers at the bottom, but the sewer drains outside, where it is blocked by a giant iron grate. That questionable looking potion in the corner? It's quite possibly the only way you'll be able to shrink down that small to slip through. Your choice---shrink yourself and escape to the world outside or stay, get re-captured, and fed to a hungry, playful succubus above. (I know it's a tough one.)

Gameplay

The gameplay will be pseudo-overhead, Diablo-style. This means that all combat and magical attack resolve immediately. If you manage to dodge a fireball, good for you. If not, then well better luck next time. There'll be none of that turn-based RPG tomfoolery. This is done intentionally to make fights between multiple characters more realistic. If you're up against three people you face a severe disadvantage as there will simply not be enough time and concentration to fight all three.

Vore

There will be plenty of vore, but it will fit where and how it naturally fits. Not every character will eat you or want to eat you, but those that will will make the experience worthwhile, trust me =D Vore styles included will be: soft oral, maybe some hard, digestion, full tour (fatal and non), f/f, m/f (if requested), and especially monster/f, since it fits the storyline excellently.

Technical (Yes, read the text, and be rewarded with a picture)

I'm in the process of quickly assembling an engine for the game, mostly in C#. There's some speed issues that I'm working out by linking with C++ assemblies that optimize the code. So far I've gotten fonts and sprite sheets drawing correctly. Sprite sheets are grouped into larger sprite sets, each set containing a color sheet, a collision sheet, and a bump map sheet. The bump map sheets are fed through a homemade utility to turn them into normal maps, which are then applied when calculating per-pixel lighting. I know it sounds terribly complicated and futile, but the results are promising:

The normal mapping makes the lighting appear "realistic" by factoring in the dot product between the angle of light and the normal vector to the surface at each pixel. Unfortunately it takes A BLOODY LONG TIME to render a frame. With C#'s array bounds checking and other abominable foolishness this 800x600 window runs at a blazing 7 frames per second. I'm pushing the lighting function into C++ code to hopefully speed this up, and am considering storing precomputed dot products at each pixel. It amazes me that memory access is apparently now worth more than multiplication, and floating point operations are faster than integer arithmetic, but that's what my test runs show. If the normal mapping speeds up sufficiently I'm considering adding bloom. Yes, bloom. You heard me.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Camilla's Adventure (work in progress)

Postby Gloom » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:32 pm

Wow, this sounds really promising! You've indeed got some really ambitious plans for this project (bump mapping and eventually bloom, wowza! :D )... Have you got any estimations what the playtime might be in the end?

Sadly I'm pretty booked at the moment, so I really haven't got the time to help out with sprites. :(
Gloom
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby 11millionseconds » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:53 pm

Haha yeah, I thought to myself that since I've never seen bloom and bump mapping done before in a 2D game I'd try it. Seems to work quite well... you should see the above pic when it's animated.. the lights are flickering and everything... it's enough to make you die of awesome. I'm absolutely, positively planning on having particle systems in the game, and I envision tagging on point lights to each particle, so that every fireball or bolt of lightning will light up the room as it goes by... I seriously think I can pull it off too.

For playtime I'm not really sure what exactly I'm shooting for. I'm sure once I have the engine and some basic sprites I'll be able to give you an estimate on that, but right now it's too early to tell. What you're seeing is a couple days of work so far. I can say that halfway through the game, the main character will run into her brother, and from then on the player can choose to play with either a girl or guy character. I still have no idea how best to estimate the play time though... sorry =/
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Nerva » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:15 am

I really hope you do decide to include M/F vore scenarios into the game. It has, thus far, been extremely under-represented in vore games to date.
Nerva
???

Postby 11millionseconds » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:22 am

Nerva wrote:I really hope you do decide to include M/F vore scenarios into the game. It has, thus far, been extremely under-represented in vore games to date.

An expressed interest in M/F is all I was looking for. Consider it done then.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Superblah » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:09 am

I cant say this combination looks very good, but its certainly progress ^^;
Superblah
Participator

Postby 11millionseconds » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:30 am

Superblah wrote:I cant say this combination looks very good, but its certainly progress ^^;

It would help if you were more specific. Do you not like the lighting, or the storyline, or the character setup, or the genre, or my future plans for the engine, or what? What would you -want- me to do?
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Junogray » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Wow, this looks very appealing ^.^
Everything sounds great, my question that comes to mind "Do you have any estimation on when the game will be ready to try?" like a demo or video of it, or game... a general estimation like a week/month/year or something?
Two fish in a tank, one says to the other "so, you know how to drive this thing?"
Junogray
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Onewingedangel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:48 pm

Wow! Very exciting looking! Though, I tend to only be interested in playing a pred, will that be possible?
Onewingedangel
Somewhat familiar

Postby VixieMoondew » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:19 pm

Seems interesting! I'd ask if you needed an editor, but it looks like you can spell pretty well...

...well, I suppose I'm still up for it if you want. xD;;
VixieMoondew
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby ryanshowseason3 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:41 pm

I'm impressed. I look forward to this. The turn based crankouts on rpg maker have turned into remakes of each other in some cases. I wish you the best in this project.
ryanshowseason3
???

Postby oldman40k2003 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:52 am

Interesting ideas, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

11millionseconds wrote:The normal mapping makes the lighting appear "realistic" by factoring in the dot product between the angle of light and the normal vector to the surface at each pixel. Unfortunately it takes A BLOODY LONG TIME to render a frame. With C#'s array bounds checking and other abominable foolishness this 800x600 window runs at a blazing 7 frames per second. I'm pushing the lighting function into C++ code to hopefully speed this up, and am considering storing precomputed dot products at each pixel. It amazes me that memory access is apparently now worth more than multiplication, and floating point operations are faster than integer arithmetic, but that's what my test runs show. If the normal mapping speeds up sufficiently I'm considering adding bloom. Yes, bloom. You heard me.

As for the slowness, I have this to say: it is C#, an interpreted language. Not the speediest of things. I do wonder if there are some optimizations that can be done though, as I know you can do fast games in C#, even ones that require lots of computation/graphics. As for multiplication being faster than a memory access, that's really to be expected. Even the obvious way of multiplying two 64 bit numbers only takes 64 additions and 64 shifts (the less obvious ways are of course much faster)... that's not a whole lot of time to travel all the way out to main memory and back again. As for floating point being faster than integer, I have heard that a great deal of effort was put into making floating point faster, because it is so useful.
Eye see you.
oldman40k2003
Vorefinder

Postby 11millionseconds » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:39 am

oldman40k2003 wrote:Interesting ideas, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

11millionseconds wrote:The normal mapping makes the lighting appear "realistic" by factoring in the dot product between the angle of light and the normal vector to the surface at each pixel. Unfortunately it takes A BLOODY LONG TIME to render a frame. With C#'s array bounds checking and other abominable foolishness this 800x600 window runs at a blazing 7 frames per second. I'm pushing the lighting function into C++ code to hopefully speed this up, and am considering storing precomputed dot products at each pixel. It amazes me that memory access is apparently now worth more than multiplication, and floating point operations are faster than integer arithmetic, but that's what my test runs show. If the normal mapping speeds up sufficiently I'm considering adding bloom. Yes, bloom. You heard me.

As for the slowness, I have this to say: it is C#, an interpreted language. Not the speediest of things. I do wonder if there are some optimizations that can be done though, as I know you can do fast games in C#, even ones that require lots of computation/graphics. As for multiplication being faster than a memory access, that's really to be expected. Even the obvious way of multiplying two 64 bit numbers only takes 64 additions and 64 shifts (the less obvious ways are of course much faster)... that's not a whole lot of time to travel all the way out to main memory and back again. As for floating point being faster than integer, I have heard that a great deal of effort was put into making floating point faster, because it is so useful.

Yeah, C# isn't actually interpreted, but I know what you mean. It used to be interpreted when it first came out (just like Java), but now it's more like the beast compiles itself right from byte code into machine language right before the application starts, but the big issue is that it's doing extra bounds checking on stuff like array access, since arrays are objects. Yeah I didn't really think about multiplications being faster than mem accesses. I learned my assembly during days when people swore by the whole "limit your multiplications" rule. I figure those days multiplications were done with additions and bit shifts. These days I wouldn't be surprised if Intel just stamps byte-by-byte multiplication tables into their chips and each multiply takes, like, 4 clock cycles. The floating points seriously shocked me though... I mean I expected integers to multiply at least as fast as floats and doubles, but apparently they're almost half as fast. Whatever... my head hurts just thinking about it all.

I found a cool way around my problem anyways. I'm just gonna use SDL's alpha blending to blend the lightmaps directly onto the screen. I figure since the dot product between the light vector and the normal vector is the percentage of light coming in, I can shove that into the alpha component of the surface. Then the R,G,B values of the light will get blended proportionally, and I can still have flickering torches and such, as long as the lights don't move (because then I'd need to recalculate all affected dot products instead of just assigning new R,G,B values.). For moving lights I'd just blend them "by hand" on to the screen using the bump maps instead of the normal maps, so all I have to do is multiply the dynamic light intensity by the bump map pixel and add that to the pixel value of already drawn lights, then clip to 255's. I'm banking on there being waay more static lighting than dynamic lights, so the speed issue there shouldn't be too big.

Foxby wrote:Seems interesting! I'd ask if you needed an editor, but it looks like you can spell pretty well...

...well, I suppose I'm still up for it if you want. xD;;

Yeah I'm usually pretty good on spelling, but if you would like I can give it to you to edit. Everybody needs an editor... It's still better to have someone else look over it since we all make mistakes =D In my first post in this thread I have a comma splice in the Intro paragraph and a pluralization error in the second sentence of the Gameplay paragraph.

Onewingedangel wrote:Wow! Very exciting looking! Though, I tend to only be interested in playing a pred, will that be possible?

Hmm... I'll try to work that option in there, but it might be a bit hard. I don't think I considered that possibility when first making this, but I'll try to see how I can work it into the storyline. Pretty much everything depends on how far I can stretch the storyline and still have a good game.

Junogray wrote:Wow, this looks very appealing ^.^
Everything sounds great, my question that comes to mind "Do you have any estimation on when the game will be ready to try?" like a demo or video of it, or game... a general estimation like a week/month/year or something?

Alright well since you asked I thought about it a little. It seems like a month or so should be enough time for me to assemble a good demo for you guys. I figure having a video of me testplaying it would just be more annoying than anything, since if I can do it so can you. So today's March 24th, by April 24th I should have something up.. I'll probably change the (work in progress) label to (demo out) on the thread when I do post the demo, so just look for that.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby 11millionseconds » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:39 pm

I worked some more on my game concept and sketched out several things. On the engine development side things are going a bit slow. I had to completely implement a UI framework from scratch.. that took a couple of days but I tried to make up for the time by making it look nice. Here's a test of the UI (User Interface) so far:

There's gonna be several changes to the game made soon, like the name of the main character, and the name of the game itself.

I'm still looking for artists. If you're one of these people, don't be shy and help out =P
My game's gonna have similar full-screen pictures as Dim's Warlocks game, and I also need people that can do sprites, although not character sprites... Wall and object sprites. Characters are not going to be sprite-based. I'll explain later..
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Nerva » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:24 pm

Very nice. Are individual windows within the UI moveable onscreen?
Nerva
???

Postby 11millionseconds » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:26 pm

Nerva wrote:Very nice. Are individual windows within the UI moveable onscreen?

Yep. The windows are moveable. I've upped the target resolution to 1024x768. I originally planned on 800x600, but I figure on-screen elements will take up some space and the ability to move windows requires some space to move them around in. I don't think anyone these days has an issue with 1024x768.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Nerva » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:40 pm

Excellent to hear on both counts. I know I don't have any problems with the larger resolution, and in fact prefer it over 800x600. It allows for more onscreen space for larger sprites or more content per screen. Good decision, IMO.
Nerva
???

Postby Teni » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:18 am

Can we see the sprite sheet for the main charicter? :)
Teni
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby 11millionseconds » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:55 pm

Ah.. I'm sorry I'm still kinda working on it. It's not gonna be a sprite sheet exactly, or at least not in the same sense as other sprite sheets.
I've been really busy with studying for tests and finals over here... I might not get another chance to work on this for a little bit. Finals around here kill small children.
I really really can't afford to fail anything so I haven't touched this project for a week and a half at this point. I'm not giving up though... just taking a little break until
possibly the end of April. Then I'll pick it back up again. Until then I probably won't even be on Eka's much. I got lots of studying to catch up on...
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby 11millionseconds » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:16 am

Sorry for double post, but I think it was necessary. Aleph-Null redirected here in his previous post on my other thread. This particular project is still underway but is progressing at a slow rate. I've decided that I'm probably switching over to OpenGL since the shaders I was planning on using do not appear feasable to do without video card acceleration. I'm also working with a friend on an actual 3D game (like, one we're going to sell) so my time is being split quite a bit. Have faith though eventually I'll get around to everything. Until then don't keep your hopes up... it's more fun to be pleasantly surprised later =D
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Next

Return to Vore game