Speedcode Challenge?

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Speedcode Challenge?

Postby 11millionseconds » Mon May 04, 2009 12:46 am

Alright so I was sitting here thinking "what will ever come of the Collab thread?" when a great idea popped into my head.

What if instead of working together on one giant project we instead have a synchronized speedcode competition?

For example, if we were to say "Next saturday, everyone starts coding up a vore game at 7pm and for the next five hours (until midnight),
we just see what happens." Basically, we'd all get roughly five hours to code up the best game we can, individually. I've done some stuff like this
before and it usually ends up being pretty fun if you have people willing to put in the effort.

The benefits to this sort of thing are that you don't need to worry about long-term plans, planning out your project, or whatever. You do
maybe a quick outline of what you're going to do, and then do it. Pretty much like writing an essay in highschool (come on we all put it off 'till
the last minute). Also, you work alone, or tentatively with one other person. This eliminates communication issues. Also, nobody's waiting on anyone
else. It either gets done in five hours, or your project fails. There's no in-between.

The quality of the game doesn't have to be high, but in the end,
the project gets you two things: 1. It allows you to experiment with a different type of game then you'd normally make, since there are no unrealistic
expectations when you know you have almost no time to pursue them, and 2. If the project is finished and works, it gives you something to build off of later
or to take ideas from.

Also, if we really want to go through with this and have a competition, we could have some people agree to doing an "art prize" for the winning member or something. Just an idea...
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Speedcode Challenge?

Postby Teni » Mon May 04, 2009 1:16 am

Sounds cool, I'd do the art prize if you want :P
Ask me about anything! It can't hurt to ask :)

I also think I like using XD too much.... xD

http://www.teniko.deviantart.com

Yay RPG games!
Yay drawing!
Yay vore!
Yay Giantess!  
Teni
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Liz » Mon May 04, 2009 5:02 am

Hehe I can barely program as is - so ill play the result :P

Besides i think you time is a little different to mine ><
[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/2r3xx1e.jpg[/img]
Chibi Liz's view on Physics, well breaking/ignoring them >:3 .
Pixiv [url]http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=3050556[/url]
Liz
---

Postby 11millionseconds » Mon May 04, 2009 9:27 am

Teni wrote:Sounds cool, I'd do the art prize if you want :P

That'd be great Teni. If enough people are interested in this I'm willing to put up a page where people can register and submit their entries when they're done (instead of dumping everything into a thread).

Madness wrote:Hehe I can barely program as is - so ill play the result :P

We'd also have the people that play the game (including other contestants) vote on various aspects of the game. Also I didn't clarify before, but it would be fair game to use anything around to speed up the game development, such as RPGMaker, etc. It wouldn't matter what you'd use, as long as you can make a decent game in a short amount of time. This way people that don't have a lot of programming experience could just use whatever they know.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Ryu8 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:09 pm

Something I think you're forgetting to take into account are timezones. Not everyone who may want to do this will be active in the same 5 hours.
Ryu8
Been posting for a bit

Postby ImaginaryZ » Mon May 04, 2009 4:34 pm

This is the best Idea I've ever seen in the game thread. Kudos, 11millionseconds!

I agree with Ryu8, a quick and simple fix is to make it a 1-day challenge, so we can check submission times as day's instead of hours, it has to start and end on the same day, anytime within that 24 hours is OK. But I don't think anyone's going to get too upset on the strictness.

These kinds of competitions are perfect, because you could (just a suggestion) use tools like:
    Flash
    Game Maker
    DarkBasic
    Torque
    Blender
    Existing Game engines with level/character editors (MUGEN)
    ect...

Just pick some day, and we'll do this!

-Z
Loving-Ultra-Cuddle-Soft-Vore aficionado;
Fur Affinity
Deviant Art
YouTube
Nothing worth doing is easy!
ImaginaryZ
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby 11millionseconds » Mon May 04, 2009 4:38 pm

Ryu8 wrote:Something I think you're forgetting to take into account are timezones. Not everyone who may want to do this will be active in the same 5 hours.

I'm actually thinking that the rules would have to be a little bit different than "work from time A to time B." The issues with that, apart from what you just mentioned, are that there's no way of verifying that a person completed the project in the time given, and not with extra time. So right off the bat this is governed by the honor system. People can obviously start on a project earlier than the start time. It's possible to assign a specific topic to the games that won't be mentioned until opening time, but even then, lots of artwork and storyline is interchangeable and easily adaptable such that those who want to cheat are still capable.

With that in mind it would make sense to have a restriction such as "All projects must be finished in a -consecutive- five hour period on this particular day" The 'day' would refer to a day in a particular timezone, and anyone awake during that day-period would be able to participate. This also solves the issue of people being busy from 7 to midnight, etc. So the only restriction would be that you spend 5 consecutive hours that you declare ahead of time and commit to, and your deadline adjusts accordingly, so long as it's within the "competition day" boundaries.

ImaginaryZ wrote:I agree with Ryu8, a quick and simple fix is to make it a 1-day challenge, so we can check submission times as day's instead of hours, it has to start and end on the same day, anytime within that 24 hours is OK. But I don't think anyone's going to get too upset on the strictness.

Ah. You beat me to it :P
As for the actual day, I've just moved out of my dorm so my server is down and most of my stuff is misplaced. I figure others that go to college are in roughly the same place, with either move-outs or finals. As soon as I move in on May 10th I'll hook up my server again and put up a page for the competition. When we get enough people enthusiastic about this I'll definitely post the day this'll occur on. But "not for another week" is the general idea here. It'll probably take that long for most people to read about it, so it works out.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Liz » Tue May 05, 2009 4:16 am

TBH I think i might be working with a simalar verson of VGame - but i will see how i go :D
[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/2r3xx1e.jpg[/img]
Chibi Liz's view on Physics, well breaking/ignoring them >:3 .
Pixiv [url]http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=3050556[/url]
Liz
---

Return to Vore game