wanting to make a game, but having trouble

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

wanting to make a game, but having trouble

Postby Thagrahn » Sat May 30, 2009 2:44 am

I was wanting to do a side scroller, but cant figure out how to setup the platforms to where the objects can pass in front of, or stand on top of the platform object (like in Super Mario Brothers 3)

And was looking for a better program to use to make the game (currently useing Game Maker 6, and would prefer free trial verions to test with)

One last thing, I will need some help with doing the bosses, and setting up the vore and rape sets for the main character.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Re: wanting to make a game, but having trouble

Postby Idle Giant » Sat May 30, 2009 8:51 am

I have absolutely no experience with Game Maker 6, so i might just be blowing hot air, but...

Couldn't you sort out the platforms by using collision detection or something similar? Stop the character moving downwards if he tries to enter the same space as the platform from above, but if he's already in the space occupied by the platform and starts going down just let him keep going?

Just a thought. Dunno if it would be helpful or not.

~IG
Idle Giant
Been posting for a bit

Postby Modeseven » Sat May 30, 2009 9:11 am

Finally, something which ISN'T an RPG.
Modeseven
Somewhat familiar

Postby KavenBach » Sat May 30, 2009 10:55 am

I tried a platformer... even using the techniques in their tutorials I couldn't get the character to land on platforms properly. Usually landed a little too deep into it or ended up "floating" a pixel or two above. But I've seen tons of them so evidently I'm just a moron.

Despite that you said you want to try something else, you really CAN make a very good platformer with Game Maker. Latest version is 7 I believe. I'm pretty sure you can make a decent platformer even with the free "lite" version, as well.

As for passing through upward but not downward (I think that's what you're asking???)... hmm. Maybe something to check vertical movement. If it's zero or negative (going down) the character object stops, but if positive (going up) the object is set as non-solid. Or something along those lines depending what exactly you're thinking of (been a LONG time since SMB3). I'm assuming you'd be using the built-in Gravity setting, of course.
"Lady, I WARNED you that my plants wouldn't tolerate tresspassers, either! NOW look at you!"
"Mmh! Mmh!"

https://www.patreon.com/KavenBach
KavenBach
DamselDangerologist

Postby Thagrahn » Sat May 30, 2009 3:44 pm

KavenBach wrote:As for passing through upward but not downward (I think that's what you're asking???)... hmm. Maybe something to check vertical movement. If it's zero or negative (going down) the character object stops, but if positive (going up) the object is set as non-solid. Or something along those lines depending what exactly you're thinking of (been a LONG time since SMB3). I'm assuming you'd be using the built-in Gravity setting, of course.

I was just having trouble figuring it out since it wasn't covered in the book. I'll give it a try when I get the chance (Full-time :P job)

Still trying to deside on the main :gulp: character, and drawing pixil by pixil takes forever.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Mara » Sat May 30, 2009 4:31 pm

7 is the latest version that I have seen and it is now free. I have experimented with it a bit, and if your trying to have something pass over another, just mess with the layers. (I'm not entirely sure what your saying though, but anything passing over another will have to do with the layers x.x)
Anyway, I find GM to be a lot more complicated then it should be. Just to make a character jump has like... 20 variables just for going up, and a lot of them don't even make sense to me... From when I last looked anyway. When I do mess with it, I try to get help from people I know who actually know how to use it well, so if I discover anything, I will be sure to let you know.
Good luck. :3
Mara
Been posting for a bit

Postby Baif » Sun May 31, 2009 12:25 am

Im a regular GM7 user. If you wanna start out a game, i recommend you to learn GML and avoid Drag and drop. GM its a powerful game making program if you know what to do.

I dont know exactly what you wanted to do, just make a platform engine? :? ?

Anyways if you need any help i can lend you a hand n whatever you need to. (I mean, with code and stuff, im an awful artist)

Anyway, I find GM to be a lot more complicated then it should be. Just to make a character jump has like... 20 variables just for going up, and a lot of them don't even make sense to me...

If you go the simple way:

Assign gravity in create event.
Code: Select all
gravity=0.1

on keypress (space):
vspeed=-(value)

Upon collision with any solid below the object, make:
if other.y>y && !place_free(x,y+vspeed){
    move_contact_solid(270,4);
    vspeed=0;
    gravity=0;
    break;
    }

there you have a jumping guy :D
Baif
Participator

Postby Thagrahn » Sun May 31, 2009 3:37 pm

The thing was I wanted a few blocks that the charater could walk in front of or jump up and stand on the top of the block.

Basicly, if your walking towards the block and don't jump, you just pass in front of it, but if you jump, the character can land on the block.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Baif » Sun May 31, 2009 11:56 pm

I quickly made an example of how to make a platform engine.

Take a look at it. Check the create event for the player, if you have the pro version of game maker, change the value to true.
Attachments
vEngine.zip
I included and ejecutable too
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 176 times
Baif
Participator

Postby Hongry01 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:44 pm

Nitro_Titan wrote:Finally, something which ISN'T an RPG.

I agree fully, I found that travelling, listening to a "plot" (often containing grammar and spelling errors which ruined it for me because I am a "grammar nazi") and then getting to see a vore scene felt like a chore.

I do like that so many people make these things, And I much prefer it in game form but I just wish we had more simple "vore and go" games.
Hongry01
Participator

Postby Thagrahn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:15 am

If anyone could help a little, I need some one to do the main character for the game.

It will be a 24x40 sprite of a female furry (a pink cat). She'll need three forms; Nude, Dressed, and Armored. The dressed should be in a simple short crimson dress, and the armored should add a black corset, black gloves, and black greaves (lower leg armor). The armor should give the impresion of leather.

I'm going to try to set up a test level for testing the platforms and the coding.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Liz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:24 am

yyywww111 wrote:
Nitro_Titan wrote:Finally, something which ISN'T an RPG.

I agree fully, I found that travelling, listening to a "plot" (often containing grammar and spelling errors which ruined it for me because I am a "grammar nazi") and then getting to see a vore scene felt like a chore.

I do like that so many people make these things, And I much prefer it in game form but I just wish we had more simple "vore and go" games.

I partly agree in it does take a long time to find Vore in some of the RPGs but I'll said it before and I'll say it again - If you don’t like the games people are trying to make then make one yourself :) If there is too many RPGs curve the habit and throw you own ideas into the preverbal ring.

I had an idea of using the combat system from the Japanese action Vore RPG because the combat rocks but I lack programming skills to play wit it. I could seriously play that game without the Vore in it and enjoy it due to the style of game play. If other people have played that game do they like the fighting style?
[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/2r3xx1e.jpg[/img]
Chibi Liz's view on Physics, well breaking/ignoring them >:3 .
Pixiv [url]http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=3050556[/url]
Liz
---

Postby Halcyon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Is Game Maker like Flash? :?

Because if it IS then maybe I could help :lol:
Halcyon
???

Postby Baif » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Halcyon wrote:Is Game Maker like Flash? :?

Because if it IS then maybe I could help :lol:

Maybe the Actionscript. Besides that, its diferent
Baif
Participator

Postby Thagrahn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:26 pm

Almost had a working platform, then the controls crashed :x .

Was working out the bugs on having the right jumping heigth, then the right, left, and jump commands stopped working.

I event had the windows set right for the scrolling :(

Game Maker lite has a lot of problems that seem to come from nowhere. :?
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby KavenBach » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:25 pm

What did you change? First thing to check when Something that was working suddenly stopped.

That said, Game Maker can and does spontaneously produce inexplicable errors at times. Most are probably user-caused, but undoubtedly not all.
"Lady, I WARNED you that my plants wouldn't tolerate tresspassers, either! NOW look at you!"
"Mmh! Mmh!"

https://www.patreon.com/KavenBach
KavenBach
DamselDangerologist

Postby Thagrahn » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:20 am

Got it working, but still haven't gotten the Left and Right movement to work completly (event though I used the most basic move commands).

And every once in a while the Bear I'm useing in place of the player gets completly stuck.

Still haven't completly, debugged the test room for colisions but so far so good.

Edited to update.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Liz » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:42 am

is it going to be turn based or Live action?

I'd love to play a live action bash em up game - they are my fav :)
[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/2r3xx1e.jpg[/img]
Chibi Liz's view on Physics, well breaking/ignoring them >:3 .
Pixiv [url]http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=3050556[/url]
Liz
---

Postby Thagrahn » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:20 pm

It's a side scroller. Lots of jumping, platforms, and things to find.

This one just comes with Rape, Vore, and UB (atleast it will, once I get it working and get all the animations).

The main character is going to be somewhere between pred and prey, as their will be some interesting boss battles.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby acid_phoenix » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:22 pm

Heh, I've been using gm6 for like two years and still can't figure out all the kinks, like how to make the character only jump once (ie not jump once airborn), or maybe have a double jump. Also events are still a lil complex for me, basically I'm good at the artistic end and bad at the programming end, so if someone does make a real good engine for side scrollers I'd like to try my hand at it, just mark the basics like "programming for main character" or for enemy or for missile object etc. Heh, but don't go to any trouble on my account, I just mean if anyone ever feels like it :-D
acid_phoenix
Intermediate Vorarephile

Next

Return to Vore game