Starting with the sprites

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Starting with the sprites

Postby PercentiledOne » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:09 am

Okay, I've been seeing alot of Game Maker works on and around, and hey, I find that much more appealing than the RPGMaker(which for awhile there seemed to be the glut of things). Not that I don't like RPGMaker, and I certainly enjoy a good flash game, but I at least can understand Game Maker.

Now, I must admit, I'm kinda embarrased here. I've been playing with Game Maker longer than I've been visiting this forum, and I've only made a few games that were worthy anything. Certainly nothing that would be suitable for this forum(Well, maybe the Pac-Man one, though that was really just an exercise in making a better Ghost AI with no animations to speak of). But, I figured that I'd have to get around to throwing my hat in the ring at some point, just to see if I could.

I've noticed alot of people start off with a desire to make a game... and kinda run into trouble there. Some get to the point where they've found a game engine they can use(Game Maker has a number of user made engines that will let you make different kinds of games, but I personally like going ground up and building my own). Of course, even if you have the urge to create(don't we all?) and a good physics engine, you still run into problems.

You need art. Sprites, background tiles, sounds! ... okay maybe not sounds. Sounds take massive space and quite frankly everyone seems to have music in the background and plays with the sound off anyway. Still, sprites and background!

Well, I like spriting. I like the whole retro NES/Atari look. These days it's 3d Renderings, with pre-rendered stuff seeming low tech, but I remember back when the pixel was the only way to measure these things. So I rip sprites from the old classics(and any new ones I might find) and modify them. I'm no where near of the kind of talent to make my own after all, and besides, I'm doing this because it's fun. If it takes me too long, it's no longer fun. I have alot of projects that I've started, and then given up on. I'm easily distracted and have a short atten... ooh shiny.

I'm not uploading any demos yet. Rest assured, they are underway. I have a reasonably decent engine to work with, and a number of tricks I want to incorporate into it, and will be putting up demo tests sooner or later. Probably later. Much later, depending on other distractions(this project is low priority for me). At the moment however I'm putting up sprites. I actually worked on background tiles first, but they're pretty generic and not interesting. Seems a little backwards, doesn't it? Most people put up their demos before they have all that decent of sprites. Well, it is. That's part of what I want some help with.

Yes, these sprites are "stolen". From what I've seen that's nothing new around here. I could even tell you what games they were ripped from. Each of them has been modified(sometimes only a few pixels I will admit) by me, but I'm sure you can probably identify where they came from originally. These are in an 8bit style, but I suspect that a few of them go just a tiny bit beyond that pallet. Oh well, they still look to be in that style and that's all I wanted, one unified style of sprites. This sheet is probably not going to be the final version of things(I know I want to add at least one more enemy, and the mole might be cut out entirely), but should give an idea of what I'll be working towards. You might want to view it at 200% magnefication(depending on your screen resolution), since that's the scale I plan on having it in the game, and with some kind of blinders since I use eyebleeding neon green as my "Background Color I do not want".

Why am I sharing this with the rest of you when I'm clearly no further along than most people who are making these efforts? It's because I know my talents are limited. I will not be able to finish this project without at least one co-author. Even assuming I manage everything I have planned, I have absolutely no talent for level design. Where to put the plateforms, where to put the enemies, where to put the powerups, I just stare at the blank level helplessly and either lift the layout from a different game, or just give up. I don't want to just give up on this project, so I'll need some one to work with me. A storyline would be nice too, something to tie this together.

Anyway... questions... comments... critics... current events? I'm leaving alot unexplained for the moment just to test for reactions.

((EDIT: Updated Sheet))
Attachments
Ekatestsprites.PNG
Last edited by PercentiledOne on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
PercentiledOne
Participator

Re: Starting with the sprites

Postby Mara » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:08 am

Being a game enthusiast (and having experimented with Game Maker and RPGmaker quite a bit), I would love to help out. I can do sprite work, especially since you don't seem to mind using other's (Don't worry. Modification will take place.) I can now spend a lot of time on this, if you are willing to give me more of an idea that you want.
I have worked on making fore/backgrounds a bit and have done platformers all my life :X (Whoo! Resumes without proof!)
So, if you would like, I can try to help with some things. :3
Mara
Been posting for a bit

Postby PercentiledOne » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:30 pm

I can do the sprite work myself, but if you'd like to help out in that department I wouldn't turn you down. As I said, that sheet is a work in progress, I've already fixed and added things(for one, I adjusted the flower to also produce powerups... if you're willing to risk getting that close).

I also have a background tileset, which has transparency on it so it can be used as foreground. Mind you, I don't know how to animate tilesets through Game Maker, but off hand I don't think that's an issue. Given the style I'm trying to emulate, a static background would probably feel right anyway. If you'd like to add something to spice up what I already have, once more I won't turn you down, but your efforts arn't needed.

What I want is level designers. And maybe to speed things up, AI scripting, though I think I should be able to manage that myself.

At the moment I want an idea for how to make the game vore-centric. I don't just want it to be our heroine(Should have done a male hero?) to make her way through the forest avoiding the creatures that will eat her. I want her(and you the player) to actively seek out those creatures and feed them! I know most people here would without encouragement, but I still want a way to encourage it in game. Make it so certain levels can't be completed without doing so(of course, that's level design, something I have no skill at).

What I have so far is kinda limited.

Heroine can duck(not animated yet), walk, run, jump(jumping from running adds height and distance), swim(not properly animated yet, working on it), climb(not animated yet), and slide down slopes(also not animated). Simple two button controls, one button jumps, hold down the other for running. The "run" button will also make her attempt her 'grab' animation. Running into a hungry creature from the right angle(jumping off of it will just make you bounce, aim yourself for it's mouth) will start her squirming animation(one animation, but will be made to look like it's two: One headfirst, one feetfirst), while it starts the creatures eating animation. The two overlayed onto each other makes the animation complete. There is two rough examples on the sheet, but I'm working to polish them a bit more.

The heroine has three states, four if you count the ghost form. Each of them will have a different jump height and walk/run speed. Presumably after being eaten by a creature, the ghost floats out, invunerable and able to fly for a short time, then reencarnates into the heroine, who is now in a different state(clothed, underwear, and naked).

When the heroine performs her grab animation and there is a fairy within a certain distance, she grabs him. See animation. Those are your powerups. As for what benifit they provide... I don't know. Maybe just bonus points? Can I get suggestions?

I have at least two 'boss' monsters planned(male naga and demoness, both somewhat giant compared to the heroine)... though since so far the only way to deal with the creatures so far is to feed them, I don't know how you'd deal with a 'boss'. Probably wouldn't be out of theme to make the entire goal that of feeding yourself to the boss monster, while annoyances like the acid slimes slow you down.

I was also thinking that if I could figure out the "hawk face" coding used in SuperMarioBros2(where you find a key, and then the face will open up so you can climb in it's mouth), those would make a nice doorway to new levels. Something more than just a "jump to next room" command.
PercentiledOne
Participator

Postby AtmosRobot » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:17 am

So, you need background art, eh? Well, it would help to know what you had in mind as far as backgrounds are concerned.

Since the games sounds like it will be 8-bit, I assume they will be single layered backgrounds all scrolling along at the same pace. Is this so? Or will there be different layers to the backgrounds?

What environments are you looking to set the levels in?

Would you like animations in the background, like waterfalls trickling or twinkling stars on a night level, etc?

Just a few questions to find out what you are looking for. I don't know that I would help since I have very little experience with sprite work, but I could give it a shot so long as I know what to create.
AtmosRobot
Participator

Postby PercentiledOne » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:11 pm

Okay, like I said in the first post, background tilesets are what I worked on first. Most of them are pretty generic and uninteresting, so I didn't feel like posting them. However, since that seems to be what's drawn the most attention, I'll put up my best one. It's a night forest tileset, which might not even make it into this game(might go with the daytime set). I also have several more, two of which(modern city and scifi-ultracity) probably won't be seeing light in this project either.

I'm planning on using a tileset rather than one huge image because it will allow me to make larger stages with a smaller file size.

Since the games sounds like it will be 8-bit, I assume they will be single layered backgrounds all scrolling along at the same pace.
8-bit style, I don't think I'm actually going to check all my palettes to make sure they're limited to 8-bit, since I don't think anyone here has a computer that runs on that level of graphics.

Double layered 'background', with one layer as the background, and one as the foreground so leaves and tall grass will obscure the playfield. Hopefully not extensively obscure, but enough to fake a sense of depth.

I recently found an interesting way to code paralax scrolling in Game Maker, but it requires an image(several, one for each layer), while I have a tileset. If I wanted, I suppose I could compose the tiles into an image and then use that, but to do that for every room in the game might be a little too file intensive.

What environments are you looking to set the levels in?

I don't know. I've so far spent all my time on the artwork and coding I haven't designed the gameworld at all. That's the kind of thing I came on here to ask for help with.

There will definetly be a forest area(single level, or possibly the whole game set in a forest?), since it offers so many oppertunities, and I have the art for it. Other than that, I don't know. Suggestions?

Would you like animations in the background, like waterfalls trickling or twinkling stars on a night level, etc?
If you're asking if I would like to include them in the game, yes. If you're asking if you should start to work making them, I have those already. Unfortunately I have to set them as sprites, since I don't know how to animate backgrounds in Game Maker. So the twinkling stars are basically just a non-moving, non-interactive object floating there against the star backdrop, occasionally playing their animation. If anyone knows how to make animated tiles in Game Maker, I'd appreciate being let in on the secret.

As for what I'm looking for: I need level designers. People to place the plateforms jumped to and from, to come up with locations for enemies to be positioned, to think up with a good jump height should be, or how much health or score is lost or gained from whatever actions cause the loss or gain of health or score. If you'll excuse the analogy: I have Mount Doom, The Shire, Some Hobbits, Some Orcs and I'm still working on Gandalf and Sauron, but what am I going to do with them? There might be a story there, but I don't have it.
Attachments
TunglyWoodsNightTiles.PNG
PercentiledOne
Participator

Postby empatheticapathy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:35 pm

As for what I'm looking for: I need level designers. People to place the plateforms jumped to and from, to come up with locations for enemies to be positioned, to think up with a good jump height should be, or how much health or score is lost or gained from whatever actions cause the loss or gain of health or score.

I'll help! Level design and game mechanics are my specialty! Of course, video games being a visual medium and all, I'm gonna have a hard time doing much of anything without most or all of my resources in front of me...
What can I do to help right now? What design aspects are you still unsure of or looking for input on?
empatheticapathy
---

Postby PercentiledOne » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:24 pm

At the moment I'm looking for a way to make vore both a central and positive aspect of the gamescape.

In most games the point is to avoid getting eaten, as being eaten slows your progress down(or brings it to a complete halt, game over). I want this game to be different. I want there to be a reason, in game not just because the player likes the short little animation provided, for the player to seek out ways to feed themselves to the creatures as much as possible. One idea is that the creatures carry the player past certain obstacles(the lizard squeezes through a tunnel you can't normally get through, the frog jumps over an obstacle, the orca... I don't know, swims?... the plant... I have no clue). Another idea is that getting eaten activates a new form, granting temporary flight(while a ghost) and providing a bonus to attributes like jump height and run speed when returning to 'normal'.

Also, as much trouble as I'm having getting the "eat a fairy" code to work(collision check doesn't seem to be working, it either doesn't see the fairy is in position, or thinks it is when it's not), I would really like to have that a part of the game. Unfortunately I don't know what purpose this little thing could be applied to. Score? Collect a certain number to unlock the next level? Health refill?(At the moment there is no health, no reason to have health either).

I'll have a demo to upload shortly(I really want to nail out the fairy thing). However, I haven't yet finished designing the resources, half because I'm still working on the project as a whole, and half because I'm not sure what I'll need.

Given what I've described here, what more do you think I should put in?
PercentiledOne
Participator

Postby Mazodin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:29 pm

One idea for rewarding players when they get eaten is to look at something like Wario Land 2, in that game there no deaths and the levels are mostly to solve puzzles but certain enemies will change your form when they hit you to help you solve the puzzles others will set you back and/or make you lose coins.
Mazodin
Been posting for a bit

Postby PercentiledOne » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:00 am

Actually, that Wario Land 2 idea doesn't sound too bad. I don't think I could do anything quite that complex... how many transformations were there in that game? but the idea could work. Can I get some suggestions for the puzzles and solutions?

Okay, I hope that the upload isn't too big. It's a little glitchy still, and not nearly as polished as I'd like it, but should give you some idea of what I have to work with. Keys are arrow keys, space, and left shift. Return resets the room. Some one remind me how to code a keyboard check for letters, because I want the keys to be Z and X...

"if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_shift)" is what it currently is, but "if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_z)" doesn't seem to work, and I'm feeling really stupid for not knowing how to do this, because it's such a basic function. And I know how to do it in drag and drop, but I'm trying to use GML.

The flower does not yet eat the player character. Yet. It will snap at you if you're in place, but that's it. Because of this the ghost and alternate outfits are not accessible yet(not yet implimented in fact).

*******EDIT:******

The flower now DOES eat the player. Struggle animation has not been added, so it's just a quick gulp. Sorry. This lets you try out the ghost(note that you have endless jumping, but the camera does not move with you), and the bikini outfit(note your jump height increase). This is a bit buggy(uses the nude fairy collecting animation, just 'cuz), and some of it's intentional(if you go back to wearing a jumpsuit while running, tell me. You SHOULD, but I couldn't trigger it).

Help my math here though...

Code: Select all
if objPlayer.x < x
image_xscale = 1
if objPlayer.x > x
image_xscale = -1

That sets the flower to track the player character. Basically if you're on the right side, it faces right, if you're on the left side it faces left.

Now, I figured that the area that the plant will snap at you is about 25 pixels from it's center. Normally it faces left, so that's -25 pixels. But if it turns, I want that to turn to 25. Now, -25(-1) = 25 right?

So, -25(image_xscale) should be the right variable to check if I want it checking 25 or -25 depending on if image_xscale is 1 or -1.
But... it's not working... is my math wrong?

****EDIT2:*****

See below for details.

Nothing major ADDED, but I fiddled around with a few things. The flower is now up the ladder, there are acid droplets(which don't yet do anything), and the frog has been added. I probably shouldn't have updated, but the frog is so cute with his AI so confused...

***EDIT3:****

Frog will now eat you, acid now interacts with you. Frog AI and animation was increased, but still isn't perfect. For some reason he gives up while taking the slope, and sometimes his jumps don't always trigger correctly. Also added "ghost blocks" which are solid only if you're not a ghost.

***EDIT4***

Added Snail creature. Having some issues coding more than one instance, as it's actually a slug creature with a shell that counts as a moving plateform it carries around with it.

As for what use this is... I have no clue.
Attachments
EkaTest.zip
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 214 times
Last edited by PercentiledOne on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
PercentiledOne
Participator

Postby Mazodin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:29 am

There where 9 transformations not every level had them and the ones that did had only 1 or 2 type in them. Some of the puzzles where like you get smashed flat to squeeze though a small hole or you catch on fire to burn certain objects. Bosses in that game would eject you from the room when they hit you. Its on Game Boy if you want to check it out.

*Edit*

I found a glitch in your game, it seems the flowers have a hard time removing the player sprite when they eat you.

As for the flowers snapping out 25 pixels from there center, is the origin of the all of the flower images in the center?(default is upper left corner) Do the flowers have an even or odd amount of pixels?
Mazodin
Been posting for a bit

Postby empatheticapathy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:25 pm

PercentiledOne wrote:At the moment I'm looking for a way to make vore both a central and positive aspect of the gamescape.
In most games the point is to avoid getting eaten, as being eaten slows your progress down(or brings it to a complete halt, game over). I want this game to be different. I want there to be a reason, in game not just because the player likes the short little animation provided, for the player to seek out ways to feed themselves to the creatures as much as possible.

What if getting eating you affects the enemies in a way that helps you?
Like: You see a creature struggling to lift a heavy object that happens to be in your path; you give this creature a little pick me up (i.e.: dive down it's throat), and it suddenly has enough energy to lift the object and allow you to progress.
Or: You see a monster standing on a thing platform, and underneath the platform is a passage you need to go through. Solution? The monster eats you, the monster becomes too heavy, and the platform collapses, allowing you to go through.
Of course, as we can learn from Warioland, it's still good to have 'hazards', for instance, enemies eat you, and cause you to be sent back to start, or some other inconvenience.
Or MAYBE (and this is a whole game idea in and of itself), the player could be given a certain number of lives upon entering a level (the exact number depending on the level), and getting eaten by ANYTHING, good or bad, causes the player to lose a life. So the player has to avoid the 'hazard'; enemies, while getting eaten by the enemies they need to be eaten by.

Also, as much trouble as I'm having getting the "eat a fairy" code to work(collision check doesn't seem to be working, it either doesn't see the fairy is in position, or thinks it is when it's not), I would really like to have that a part of the game. Unfortunately I don't know what purpose this little thing could be applied to. Score? Collect a certain number to unlock the next level? Health refill?(At the moment there is no health, no reason to have health either).
Given what I've described here, what more do you think I should put in?

Eat a certain number to get a power-up? Temporary flight? Limited invincibility?
Extra lives?
Perhaps you could use them to pacify enemies, allowing you to get past unharmed?

I was also thinking, that part of gameplay would be balancing the amount of time you spend as a ghost, to the amount of time you spend alive. Like, you can go through certain blocks in ghost-form, but not while alive. But you could only affect mechanical things (doors, switches, etc.) as a physical being. Or like, certain preds are attracted exclusively to your ghost or human forms. Or maybe something like, ghosts are unaffected by strong water-currents, but they get blown around by solid winds.
empatheticapathy
---

Postby Baif » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:01 pm

"if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_shift)" is what it currently is, but "if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_z)" doesn't seem to work, and I'm feeling really stupid for not knowing how to do this, because it's such a basic function. And I know how to do it in drag and drop, but I'm trying to use GML.

For numbers and Letters, use:
ord('A');

The letter HAS to be in capital.

So, -25(image_xscale) should be the right variable to check if I want it checking 25 or -25 depending on if image_xscale is 1 or -1.
But... it's not working... is my math wrong?

I played your test (Pretty fine engine so far, i like the sprites).

I saw that the origins of the plant were 0,0. So to check for 25 pixels area on both sides, something like this would do:

if player.x < (x+sprite_get_width(sprite_index)+25) and player.x > (x-25) {
<Do whaterver you like>
}

This will check both areas (left/right) if the player is "in" between the range (this case, 25 pixels). If so, chomp them like mad.
Baif
Participator

Postby PercentiledOne » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:54 pm

There where 9 transformations...
That's a little too much for this project I'm afraid. And I've played it, I just didn't get very far.

I found a glitch in your game, it seems the flowers have a hard time removing the player sprite when they eat you.

Problem was that I had it set to remove the child object, rather than the parent object. When you went to bikini it would go through the whole process but not be able to delete objBikini. Fix implimented in my version, not updated yet. Thanks for catching that.

As for the flowers snapping out 25 pixels from there center, is the origin of the all of the flower images in the center?

No, and yes. The center is lined up with the stalk of the flower. Which means that the "at rest"(and release fairy) animations have it centered but the snapping animation actually has it offset. That way I can image_xscale -1 and it looks like it just turned around, rather than jumping to a new location. The flower itself is 22 pixels wide, but the stalk is 3 and I line up on the middle one of those three. Or at least that's what I'm trying for.

What if getting eating you affects the enemies in a way that helps you?
All good ideas. The question would be how to impliment them in a way that would be interesting and not just a once off event. Like was said about Wario-land, the transformations were used, but they wern't often the primary concern of the game, so some levels had no transformations, and no level had alot of them. Do you really want to see a vore game where you go whole levels without seeing anything getting eaten?

Eat a certain number to get a power-up? Temporary flight? Limited invincibility?
Extra lives?
Perhaps you could use them to pacify enemies, allowing you to get past unharmed?

Currently there are no power-ups designed in the game, but those are good suggestions. Would flight or limited invinciblity really be all that useful? You get that already with the ghost form.

Extra lives, might seem too plentiful, since I currently have the fairies as an endless supply(could change that easily enough though).

Don't know about the pacify enemies idea. Might work, might not. Depends on if the enemies need to be pacified, or if it's more helpful to feed them.

I was also thinking, that part of gameplay would be balancing the amount of time you spend as a ghost, to the amount of time you spend alive. Like, you can go through certain blocks in ghost-form, but not while alive. But you could only affect mechanical things (doors, switches, etc.) as a physical being. Or like, certain preds are attracted exclusively to your ghost or human forms. Or maybe something like, ghosts are unaffected by strong water-currents, but they get blown around by solid winds.

Currently it's balanced in that your camera doesn't move with the ghost, and the ghost only lasts a few seconds. The ghost thing was initially intended just to get you away from the predator and respawn elsewhere. However, given the endless jumping(flight), invunerability, and ability to pass through certain blocks/walls that would be solid to human form(not implimented, but a good idea!), might be reason enough for you to want to feed a monster near such an obstacle, then push your ghost time to get past the obstacle before you reform. A good way of using your 'immortality'(actually it should be a limited number of reformations) to solve problems. Let's go with this.

Currents and winds(and treadmills, and other movement impairment plateforms) are also a good ideas. I'll get to work on them.

For numbers and Letters, use:

THANK YOU! I feel so stupid not knowing that, but it's fixed now(no updates though).

I saw that the origins of the plant were 0,0.

Actually their not. It's 11,0 when in rest. I fixed the issue anyway(basically your suggestion, put two commands in one for 25 one for -25), but it's not an elegant fix. Still working on it.

I'm not going to upload a new demo until I add another creature(frog I think). But thanks for picking out those problems, helps me fix them.
PercentiledOne
Participator

Postby PercentiledOne » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:15 pm

Okay, all those updates I said were implimented in my version, but not the uploaded version... they're uploaded.

Also added two more potential predators. If you consider the acid drops predators. At the moment neither is programmed to actually hurt our hero, but you can kinda play around with their AI(or in the case of the droplets, lack there of).

Personally at the moment I just think the frog is cute the way it's AI currently has it to follow the hero, but sometimes doesn't work quite right. That was actually an accident, it's not supposed to follow the hero at all. The "when you see a wall ahead of you jump over it" code is contradicting the "when you IMPACT a wall, turn around" it seems, and it's annoying me, but nothing some debugging can't solve. I hope.

As yet the frog doesn't have an animated jump, and his eating animation is incomplete(he's supposed to have a 'yoshi' tongue). His swimming code is also non-existant. On the bright side, once the frog is solved, many of the other creatures will probably only need to use a portion of his code.

To be honest neither of these is a major addition, but I've been away for a week, and it's time for me to get back into this project.
PercentiledOne
Participator

Postby Thagrahn » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:48 am

With those background tiles, I could make a series of rooms for a you. The levels seem to be my strong suit, and setting up enemies seem to be my weakness (Damn Frogs). as for power ups, it's always halfway through the level , and usually has some sort of trick to reach (hidden passage or grow a ladder).

Coding has put me at a dead spot, as my two new enemies don't work. Need to get the animations for the player to work, too. just have to study up some more.

An enemy like the mole can be a challenge to use, as its best if it comes from behind a foreground when the player gets near (but before actual contact to avoid instant attack).
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby PercentiledOne » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:32 am

Thanks for the offer Thagrahn. Empatheticapathy has already offered about the same thing. Still working on some things like designing the enemies.

For referance, anyone who wants to make a room, just draw room as a .PNG(or other lossless file type) and send it to me as a PM. The tiles are 16x16. The objects currently(if you can't see them all in the demo) are Solid Blocks, Jump Through Blocks, Climbable Blocks, and Water Blocks. Of the solid blocks, I can also do slopes. For slopes, please stick to 45 degree(the demo actually has what I think is a 20 degree slope, taking 32 pixels horizontal to go 16 pixels vertical, but the tree tiles don't have anything that matches that, so far only my scifi tiles do, so I just covered it with foreground leaves). Slopes also work in inverse(IE sloped cielings).

For complex rooms, up to three images will be needed. One for the background, one for the foreground, and one for the objects. Background and foreground I'd really prefer being made with tiles. As for the objects, you don't need nearly as large an image. Doing it at 1/16 scale, with one pixel equalling one tile, and color code them(let's say black for empty, white for solid, grey for slope, dark blue for jump through, green for climbable, and cyan for water?) would work fine, until we get to enemy placement.

There's also moving plateforms that come in both solid and jump through. Currently these react to invisible objects(AI blocks) that tell them to go up, down, left, or right. I suppose in theory that means you can create a pretty complex path for these plateforms, but at the moment they only go back and forth between two AI blocks.

Still working on the enemies, and what AI they'll have. Which means levels are at the moment meaningless without something to populate them with.

So far we have a basic stationary enemy - The flower(I can shut off the fairy production, even make two seperate objects, one flower that gives wonderful fairies for our hero to collect... the other that'll eat the hero), and really that's it. I'm still trying to code up the red drops to collect and merge into a slime creature, and of course the frog(who is resisting his swimming lessons at the moment) and others.

I might remove the mole completely. Only had it in there because I started the sprites out as a modified Little Nemo game. That was my initial idea for this, with the hero needing to entice the animal to eat him, then taking over the animal after being eaten. This would lead to puzzles where you had to figure out the food chain in order to get just the right animal to advance(for example, the mole would eat the lizard, so you'd have to crouch down and make yourself lizard food before walking the lizard over to the mole, who could then tunnel through to the next area). After some work this became a bit too complicated. At least for the initial effort. If I can make this work, I might come back and re-attempt a game with a number of 'transformations' as a kind of sequel.

The frog underwent the most massive makeover(the original had massive floppy ears, a shark fin, and nevermind that for most of the animations Nemo's face was sticking out of his mouth), and I'm still using him. The others have a possiblity that they're going to be dropped. The sprite sheet is still a work in progress too after all(as is the background tilesheet, just for referance)

****EDIT****

The demo now has those Ghost Blocks that were talked about. And a few other adjustments.

Just wondering here, what would be a good name for this?
PercentiledOne
Participator

Postby PercentiledOne » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:34 am

Well, didn't want to make a new post for this, but editing doesn't bring this to the top. I AM still working on this project. Off and on. Slowly. The latest updates are on the first page, you'll probably have to scroll down. And if you're annoyed by the rain effect, don't worry, I'll probably be taking it out. Just wanted to test it, the code is actually really easy to do, once you know how.

Does anyone know how I should code the snail/slug? I currently have it set so it's a slug and a shell object. The shell works like a moving plateform, while the slug is a slow, very basic, predator(as yet I don't have it leaving a slime trail, but that's in the planning stages). That all works fine if there's only one slug in the room, but if more are there then the shells start acting strange.

So we have Flower, Slime, Frog, and Slug... I need better predators. Oh well, some are on the way I suppose.

Decided to name this In the Garden of Eaten. Mostly because of the background music I plan on adding...
PercentiledOne
Participator

Return to Vore game