Game making/ format tips

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Game making/ format tips

Postby Cilis » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:34 pm

We've got a topic already suggesting ideas for games, I figured, why not a topic to help people pick what technology and what engines to use to promote growth.

I'll update the topic with post links to specific engines or tips people want to provide so this topic is simple and fast to breeze through.

Format converting

[Photoshop animation]
Contents: Details the method used to open finished/WIP .GIF images with adobe photoshop, since they removed the normal method of importing animated GIF files.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=18925#p482114
-

Engines & Engine Tutorial websites

[LiteC comments/recommendation]
Contents: Recommendation on the LiteC programming language. Link to a free 3D game making code system.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=18925#p482305
-

Arting programs (free)

Sound programs (free)

Borderline Sarcasm

[Good snark with truth]
Contents: Truth
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=18925#p482169
-
Last edited by Cilis on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Cilis
Participator

Re: Game making/ format tips

Postby Cilis » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:42 pm

Tip: Animated .gifs importing for photoshop

Funny thing, you can save and make animated .GIFs in photoshop, but they took out your ability to open them... here is an almost fuss free way to get the ability to import them.

Normally when you try to load a .GIF in photoshop it gives you a cock and bull error about data loss. The gif is not animated and you have lost all data except the first or last frame. What has happened is that the .GIF functionality was moved to fireworks and other adobe products... unfortunately, most people here can not afford multiple adobe products at best, and at worst, are running pirate software.

Here is a solution for windows, CS2, CS3 and CS4.

1.) Have quicktime installed, it is required for importing 'video' (or in this case animated .gif files)

2.) In adobe photoshop choose "Import" from the file menu.

3.) The the import sub-pallete under the file menu, choose "Import video frames to layers."

4.) Enter the magic code to view all file types in the file name section, which is Shift+8, release, . key, release, Shift+8, release. Enter. ( *.* )

5.) Now all files in the folder are displayed. Choose your saved work or the .gif you're trying to edit.

6.) You'll get a dialogue box, just say okay.

7.) You can now edit your piece in photoshop as you please, using all effects and filters.

8.) If you can't see your frames, go to "Window" menu and chose "Animate"

When you wish to save I recommend 256 colors, with a selective color table and diffusion dithering at 100%. Diffusion dithering helps fool eyes into thinking there are more colors than there really are to save space without losing perceptable quality. Use more if you want but you'll inflate file size.

This might work on other OS, but I am not sure the view all code *.* works on them.
Cilis
Participator

Postby Vorishartist » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Tip: C++. Learn it
Vorishartist
Artist

Postby Rayen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:28 pm

As well as C++, there's other languages. The language I'm currently using is liteC. I'm mainly using it to get back into programming, since I've kinda forgot a fair bit.

http://www.conitec.com/english/gstudio/litec.htm

It seems to be a good place to start to get into a bit of programming knowledge. Albeit, it is a bit limited, so you'll need to eventually learn a language like C++, but liteC is a pretty decent start, because it has excellent documentation and tutorials. I've made short games in it, and I do like it and recommend it.
Disclaimer: I am a lazy bastard.
Rayen
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Takeshi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:57 am

Learning OpenGL right now (using gcc C++ in CodeBlocks), but I've been hearing DirectX is becoming easier to use these days. Is that really true?
Takeshi
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Vorishartist » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:03 am

Takeshi wrote:Learning OpenGL right now (using gcc C++ in CodeBlocks), but I've been hearing DirectX is becoming easier to use these days. Is that really true?

No, not really lol. Stick with OpenGL for now.
Vorishartist
Artist

Return to Vore game