Want to play visual novels

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Want to play visual novels

Postby johansutherland » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:50 am

So, the problem here is that I've downloaded a bunch a japanese visual novels files thingies but I don't know how to play them. It's all .xp3 or .sig or other strange stuff and i don't know what to do with that. I've find this site :http://kikyou.info/ which gives you access to a cute-named software, Kirikiri, which is supposed to to run visual novels. But I'm trying very hard to make it work I only get a lot of errors messages, not even in Japanese even though I have japanese fonts on my computer.
So, advice anyone?

By the way, one of the websites I've found my visual novels on is http://irafyou.blog21.fc2.com/
johansutherland
New to the forum

Re: Want to play visual novels

Postby Deathworks » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi!

I think you have actually downloaded just the patch files for visual novels. The site you are linking to is the homepage of I-Raf-You and all I-Raf-You titles are not freeware but rather soft you need to by via download or in Japan in physical copy. The patches by themselves won't do you any good, which would also explain the odd error messages. (Another hint is the missing *.exe file which should come with them).

The other site you mention is that of 吉里吉里2, the engine used for several of the games. Usually, games created with that engine are distributed with the necessary *.exe file, so, unless you wish to use the engine (it's a very good engine) to create something yourself, you will not need to go there.

Well, I hope this clears things up for you.

Deathworks
Deathworks
Innocence and Cuteness!

Postby johansutherland » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:05 pm

I kinda knew about the not being freeware part, I translated a part about trial versions though. But I got lost following that trail. I'll see if I can do something with the Kirikiri-thingy. If I come up with something that can be played I'll share it here, but it seems rather hard with my very basic japanese skills ^^

Thanks for the answer Deathwork ;-)
johansutherland
New to the forum

Postby Deathworks » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi!

Well, I have written about the titles with voraphile content over in my online shopping thread (a review thread I try to get off the ground).

As for the trial versions, I recommend looking at the download shops, like for instance DLSite.com, which I always use:

http://maniax.dlsite.com/circle/profile ... 02491.html

You are looking 体験版. The list marks all titles with a trial version with a light green icon accordingly. If there is a trial version, you can download it via the information page of the individual title (go to the information page, below the big graphic, there are dark blue buttons for viewing screen shots and downloading the trial version, which is always the right-most button).

Deathworks
Deathworks
Innocence and Cuteness!

Postby johansutherland » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:42 am

Thanks, you've helped a lot. I tried a few trial versions and I think some of this games could be worth the purchase.
Funny things is I always though Japanese class was boring, and now it's all coming back to me. I actually understand what I am doing while playing those games. Guess I just needed some motivation XD
johansutherland
New to the forum

Postby Deathworks » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi!

I hope my reviews are also useful :) :) And if you do buy something, please do consider writing a review in the thread yourself - the more people write reviews, the better people can decide whether something is really worth their money or not. So, if you notice something that is not so good, you are more than welcome to point it out.

As for Japanese, that is what I am always saying. The world is so much wider with that language. Especially on the internet, where a lot of creativity can be found on Japanese sites.

I have already pointed out the possibilities of online shopping, however the amount of genuine free software and art on the Japanese internet is really mind-boggling. For example, look at the two main download sites I visit (vector does have some commercial/shareware stuff, but over 90% of their soft is genuine freeware; freem is freeware exclusive; chibicon only features links to other sites, often vector or freem, but sometimes also private sites, however they have an online game and a download section and ads for online games even in the download section, quite annoyingly):

http://www.vector.co.jp/vpack/filearea/ ... _date.html

http://www.freem.ne.jp/

http://chibicon.net/

(Okay, I was too lazy to go to the main page of Vector, so the link above is directly to their RPG section, which I visit most frequently to check for updates). Freem also has a link list to various programming tools/engines you can use to create visual novels/RPGs/action games etc. - many of those engines are freeware, but there are also links to things like Adobe Flash, which are not (^_^;;

In fact, there is another request on my part. People may have noticed that I have been posting many more reviews on the shopping thread than about freeware vore material. This is not really because I want people to spend their money, but because it is much easier to spot vore content at the download shops (they got longer information pages and screenshots). On the other hand, there is so much freeware, often with only very short descriptions and without/few screenshots, so that it is really difficult to find good items there. So, my request is that you keep your eyes open for freeware vore content when strolling through those pages, and if you find anything (even if it is not really your cup of tea), please tell people here about it. I am sure everyone will be grateful about that.

I think this should give you plenty of training material. And if you are really looking for something nice in the realm of RPGs (non-vorish), I recommend Majestic Saga, Wheel of Fortune II, or 勇者じゃないモン! (don't get scared off by the graphics of the latter). I also recommend checking the adventure sections for all the sites, as there is also tons of nice stuff there.

Have fun!

Deathworks
Deathworks
Innocence and Cuteness!

Postby Takeshi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:42 am

The name of this thread implied something I was going to propose but didn't have an opportunity to, so I'm hijacking this thread with the following statement: we do need more visual novels. I-Raf-You games are shareware and the only other example I've ever seen was the Onigiri game. Luckily, Ren'py is pretty easy to grasp and as for the graphics side... well, even Loli Maker would do, I suppose, since I'm usually using it for my VN-s...
Takeshi
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Deathworks » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi!

Well, I can understand the sentiment. Visual Novels are a very good genre, and the various titles I have reviewed have shown evidence of its potential.

If you are able or willing to work with a Japanese manual, and maybe one or two quirks, there are a lot of very good freeware visual novel engines available ranging from very simple to very complex, also from using *.txt files you create with some other soft of your choice, to fully menu driven approaches where you place the individual chapters on a digital drawing board and connect them with arrows. So, the programming side is something that can be solved, I think (if need be, I am willing to help with coming to grasps with such engines).

However, unless you are going for a sound novel, the heart of the game will be elaborate graphics, both for backgrounds and standing characters, and the required graphics are probably so specific that you can't simply use standard graphics as are done by most RPGs we see here, and the quality of the graphics does have an immediate impact on the joy the game can create. So, I think the biggest problem you are facing is that you need a lot of high-quality graphics created specifically for that one game and probably not usable in any other game (except for parodies, etc.). In my opinion, that is really something that has big potential to keep people from doing this.

But you are absolutely correct, that genre is really something well-fit for our needs.

Deathworks
Deathworks
Innocence and Cuteness!

Postby Takeshi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:47 pm

Makes me wish I knew japanese... No idea where to start with that whatsoever though...

Ren'py is quite good, it has a pretty flexible python script system, although sometimes I wish a few things would be easier to do. But I'm very interested in these visual (visual as in Visual C, I mean) development utilities, I believe they could greatly help maintain the game consistency and etcetera, especially if the game is long enough.
Takeshi
Intermediate Vorarephile

Return to Vore game