A small request to those uploading games that use RTPs

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

A small request to those uploading games that use RTPs

Postby Nerva » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:20 pm

In the interest of cutting down on the number of "I can't get it to work" posts, try the following rules-of-thumb:

• Clearly state which software and which version of that software's runtime package(s) you use.
  • Explain that the game itself and the correct runtime package(s) are needed to get it to work. If you include the runtimes, say so.
  • Provide links to both the game itself and the exact RTPs needed to run it. Don't assume people know automatically.
  • Provide screenshots for your game. Some people will refuse to download something unless they can see what they're getting.
  • Playtest your game before you release it, preferably using a fresh RTP install.
Hopefully, following a few of these steps will help you share your game successfully. At the very least, it should simplify troubleshooting problems for your users, since it seems that the bulk of problems consist of people lacking the correct runtime package(s) or not understanding how the runtime environment works.
Last edited by Nerva on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nerva
???

Re: A small request to those uploading RPG Maker Games...

Postby Deathworks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Hi!

Very good points, not only for games using Enterbrain's engine. There are other engines out there which also need specific RTPs or dlls for you to run games created with them properly.

I would suggest stickying this thread.

Deathworks
Deathworks
Innocence and Cuteness!

Re: A small request to those uploading RPG Maker Games...

Postby Nerva » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:22 pm

You've got a point, Deathworks. I think I'll rephrase my initial post and the title to be less specific to RPG Maker.

EDIT: Done. Here's hoping it helps future uploaders of RTP-reliant games.
Nerva
???

Return to Vore game