VORE GAME COMPETITION Anyone intrested could be FUN.

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: VORE GAME COMPETITION Anyone intrested could be FUN.

Postby Kiyoa » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Well, I no longer know what kind of game I want to make for the competition any more. I do know that my current project is too ambitious for the timeframe, though. I can't finish it before the due date.

So I'm just thinking of old games. You know, the classics. Galaga, Rampage, Gauntlet, and so on, trying to figure out a new direction. Something simple, something iconic, something fun. Something with a lot of vore shoehorned into it.

I'll figure out something.
Kiyoa
Somewhat familiar

Postby 11millionseconds » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:14 am

Count me in. A game of this size is actually doable. Let's see how it goes =D
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Baif » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:49 am

bumping the thread with a small update on the entry.

Well, the game is going pretty smoothly as for now. I just need to stop working on the base engine and improve those placeholder backgrounds i got there, with something less crude. :lol:
Baif
Participator

Postby Rayen » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:00 pm

Homeroe....

I really approve of your game. 8D I can't wait to see you finish it. 8D
Disclaimer: I am a lazy bastard.
Rayen
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby 11millionseconds » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Alright cool, so I spent an hour and wrote the core of the engine that I'm going to use.
There's just one thing... I need as many of you to test it as possible to make sure my game will run when I'm done.

I wrote a little test with it that tests display and input.

To run it, first go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/taoframework/files/The%20Tao%20Framework/2.1.0/taoframework-2.1.0-setup.exe/download
and get the Tao framework. It's too massive to distribute for just a test like this but I'll have it in the final product's installer.

Then, download this:

Test2.zip
(67.69 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

Then after installing Tao, unpack the zip file and run the executable named "BelladonasKeep.exe"
The results should look exactly like the following:

screen1.png

screen2.png

If anything differs, as in you just see a white screen, or a green screen with nothing on it, or if there's a giant red X covering the window, or if it just plain crashes, let me know...
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Baif » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:23 pm

Uhg... im not really fond with installing Frameworks, but anyways, i tested it and worked for me. No problem whatsoever :wink:
Baif
Participator

Postby ZekeWild » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:00 am

Lets setthis game competitionending to Augest rather then july to give people more time on games. :-D
"GULP" sorry Babe, you tasted to good :)
ZekeWild
Participator

Postby 11millionseconds » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:39 am

Thanks Homeroe, and thanks for moving the competition deadline to August. That helps me out a bit so I don't have to rush.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby 11millionseconds » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:16 pm

So I'm shamelessy dumping screenshots of the progress =D
This is day 2 for me. I've added sprite displaying and have particle systems half done. I'm saving sprite tiling for last, since it's the easiest.

screen3.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Didn't feel like triple posting, so here's day 3's work. I added particle systems. Next step, menu systems. The fire looks better animated =D

screen4.png

Ideas made later on day 3:

The game has a working title of Belladona's Keep. It follows the story of Nick (the playable character) and Ashley, his best friend.
I'll explain the intro later, when I solidify the plot. Basically the game will be pretty linear, but with a plot. Vore will
be situational, as in you'll have to find it. It'll be a reward instead of the general interaction between characters in the game. Characters
will be clothed, unless there's a compelling reason for them to be otherwise (which I'll try to work in, but not at the expense of a cohesive environment feel). These constraints are just to give me room to breathe.
I'd love to allow multiple classes, thousands of potions, and 9 different stat bars, but it'll divide the game up into so many coding runs
that it'll never be completed. There will be magic, but it'll be more similar to Castlevania style rather than most RPGs.

The game mechanics and breadth depend on which tier I end up completing.
The tiers are based on what I'll be able to accomplish when the time comes to do an assessment of difficulty to develop:

Tier 1
There are NPCs to talk to and items to pick up. There is a combined inventory of items (for the party), and items equipped by individual characters.
The equippable items are pretty much only armor/clothing and weapons. The rest of the items go into the combined inventory and must be used from there.

Tier 2
Everything included in Tier 1 is also in Tier 2. Also included are enemies that can be killed with equipped weapons in real time (Legend of Zelda style).
There will also be sound effects for attacks and walking across tiles. The enemies will drop common items. There are merchant NPCs, etc.

Tier 3
Everything included in Tiers 1 and 2. Also included are visibly larger enemies that engage the party into an RPG-style battle where items from the inventory can be used. There are traps and props that can interact with certain weapons and equipments. There are cutscenes in certain places. There is background music.

Tier 4
There are outside areas with parallaxed skies. There are hidden areas and certain achievements that will unlock other areas. There is a possibility of visiting outside towns other than the dungeon Nick is stranded in. There are open areas purposefully left blank or unreachable for if/when an editor is publically released (for custom community areas). Area bosses (large enemies) can bestow curses, and certain side quests will remove curses or bestow blessings.

Let's see how this goes... More later =O

Day 4: Some of the menu system is complete. I have the windows drawing correctly but no controls (buttons / text) to fill them with. These windows will probably be used for things like the inventory or message boxes. Dialog between characters will be in a different type of window that I haven't made yet. I'll probably finish this stuff tomorrow.

I kept the fire going because honestly, it's amusing to watch.

screen5.png

Also, I'm leaving on a two day road trip back home from where I am now, so no more updates for a little while.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Days 5 & 6:

I added some controls for the menus and started working on tiling and layers, although that won't be finished for a little while.

screen6.png

Oh yeah, I also started working on a tile sheet:

screen7.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Days 7 & 8:

I outlined some of the harder parts of the engine that need planning before I start coding, and finished
up quite a significant portion of the storyline, which is, of course, top secret :-D No really, you don't want spoilers,
trust me. 14 full-screen art/flavor text screens have already been completed, mostly game over screens and chapter headings.
Character histories have been somewhat filled in. Geographical data is still being penciled in but that shouldn't take long. I might
post some artwork such as an overworld map, but I don't want to give away too much just yet...
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby 11millionseconds » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm posting another post since I'm worried if I keep adding to the previous it won't split it correctly across pages.
Anyways, I added the tiling system, I'm just working on getting layer overlaying and parallaxing set up correctly.
I'm also writing the tileset editor and layer editor since right now I'm just randomly generating things for debugging.
Here's a pic so far:

screen8.png

Spent a couple hours and put together a really quick and dirty tile set editor. This is my first 2D engine so it occurred to me that although tiles are pretty much images, they might require extra parameters, which should probably be packaged in a separate description file, and a tile set would be a combination of the image and list of parameters for each tile. So I needed an editor to enter and view those parameters and I came up with this. Terrible UI, but then again only I plan on using it at the moment...

screen9.png

----------------------------------------------------------------

Designed and implemented a bit more of the level/layer system, and started working on the editor that will use it. Nothing much to show yet I'm afraid, but I'm getting there...
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby ZekeWild » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:59 pm

These games are looking cool.

I cant Pixel Draw (or draw) for shit 8)

Anybody wanna teem up to help make my game for an entry? 8)
(people who can pixal draw thanks! :D
ZekeWild
Participator

Postby 11millionseconds » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 am

I got some more of the editor done... I can save and load levels and select which one I want to edit and change all of the basic information such as which levels connect to it, its name, background texture, etc. I'll do tile/layer drawing tomorrow to finish it off.

screen12.png

Didn't add too much, but I did add layer adjustment (width and height) UI and the ability to select your tiles and tile sets:

screen13.png

Added layer painting, so now I can presumably edit my own levels =O
Also, as a design side-effect, each layer can have different dimensions (for parallaxing), and a different tile set.
I can't see any conceivable use for having a different tile set per layer, other than being able to share canopies and pits between different levels, but it's there.

screen14.png

Started working on a skeletal system editor...

screen15.png
Last edited by 11millionseconds on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby 11millionseconds » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:02 am

Hey quick question how many people are still for sure competing in this?
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Baif » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Guess theres no many people competing in this.

I just lost 1 week worth of progress due to USB failure. Got pretty mad but im re-working on it again. We still have 1 month left, isn't it? ^^;
Baif
Participator

Postby 11millionseconds » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Homeroe wrote:Guess theres no many people competing in this.

I just lost 1 week worth of progress due to USB failure. Got pretty mad but im re-working on it again. We still have 1 month left, isn't it? ^^;

True that, we still have this month. I'm just asking about the competitors because I keep being tempted to just drop the competition aspect of my entry and make it a separate game for the site. It's mostly the graphical limitations... I've never had them be so strict and yet vague before. I mean, after all, the original Atari had 192 scan lines. My game alone quadruples that with the 640x480 resolution, as does most other peoples' games on here. So if the resolution can be improved, the number of colors is limitless, there's no computing power restrictions, etc, then what's wrong with an NES style game? NES is like what Atari would have been had it had more processing power right? I would rather make a good game that doesn't fit the style requirement and pay the penalty than if I were to make a game whose quality suffers due to it following a 7-bit graphics and mechanics style. I wish Zeke would clarify.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby ZekeWild » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:24 am

well as far as i know theres only you to guys. i droped my project cose i could not draw. :(
Myght as welldrop the whole thing if their are only 2 peoples i this.
ZekeWild
Participator

Postby 11millionseconds » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:16 am

Alright, well in that case it's up to you homeroe... we can still compete if you want.
If not I'll just extract my project and make it a standalone game and drop the graphics restrictions.

-edit-

I'll probably just pull out of the competition and make it a non-competition game...

-edit-

Skeleton editor is finished =D

screen17.png
Last edited by 11millionseconds on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Baif » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:57 pm

Oh well, what a shame that the competition died. I saw you made a thread already about your game 11milliseconds. I was thinking on doing the same but, guess i'll just finish my entry and use this thread to report my progress. :D

and to make tthis post look more attractive, here, have some screenshots. Now with more retro looks!

A mystery man you may find while sleeping after a tiring day

You gotta feed your little slime, but going to the forest without beign prepared its a bad idea
Baif
Participator

Postby 11millionseconds » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Homeroe wrote:Oh well, what a shame that the competition died. I saw you made a thread already about your game 11milliseconds. I was thinking on doing the same but, guess i'll just finish my entry and use this thread to report my progress. :D

Yeah shame =/
But awesome news that you're still working on your entry. If you don't mind I was planning on dumping the development screenshots here for my game to avoid cluttering up the thread with updates.

I like the look of yours so far. Definitely wins in the retro category... I wish I could draw things retro like that. Looks like you managed to pull this off with something like 16 colors, which must have been a challenge.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby empatheticapathy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:27 am

So how goes the game, Homeroe?
empatheticapathy
---

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game