Game Maker advice?!

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Game Maker advice?!

Postby Duke The Wolf » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:34 am

Hey, I currently work with RPG Maker VX, and I'm alreadt got the hang of that, but there's something else I'd like to try. I'd like to try the "Game Maker" Because I wanna create a vore platformer. Is there any advice? Oh, and another question; How much does it cost? I've already paid the $60 for RPGMVX, but I might not wanna pay that much for another program like that. Also, how long does it take to get the hang of? I'm not gonna get it if I'm not good at it in the first three months.
A signature in 2019? What is this, a forum?
Duke The Wolf
Somewhat familiar

Re: Game Maker advice?!

Postby Aleph-Null » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:38 am

Game Maker 8 costs $25 According to their website (http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/).
Aleph-Null
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Akram » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:52 am

Game maker is harder to use than rpgm... There isnt a "make platform game" option so be prepared to script all the physics and hit detection yourself. Ive been using game maker for years and I still cant make a working platforming engine.
Akram
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Journeyman » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:06 am

There are many wonderful open-source platform engines for Game Maker from their community forum:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/
And also, a walkthrough of progressively more complex platforms in the tutorial right on YoyoGames's site:
http://www.yoyogames.com/make/tutorials

I use Game Maker for tons of things--even applications that we use at work!
Journeyman.
Journeyman
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby ZekeWild » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:17 am

I will Also Post a few of My gaming Engines i make with game maker. (After i finish the games of corse.)

01_Sexy Skirt Gal Engine (a 2D-2.5D Rail shooter Engine.)
02_Voretality engine. (2D Fighting Game engine)
03_VLander engine (2.5D Adventure Epic engine)

I'll have to agree. the game maker website has a lot of grate engines for you to start of with. and the Pro version of GM is really worth it i recon. 8)

game maker games can really take lots of hours to make a good game and even longer to make Awesome ones.
but its a good program although theres no option to import a Animation file as a sprite or Background yet unless some has made an extension for it. I hope becouse it'll really help me optimise my Engines. 8)
Also try asking on the GM forums about making games and stuff. (Mainly to stop this website from being full of how do i do this in game maker threads. :wink: )
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/ have fun and the forums are very helpfull i find.

(If anyone finds a extention for importing animations into GM for Bg's or sprits PM me!! 8) lol

i found Gam maker easier then RPG maker.
"GULP" sorry Babe, you tasted to good :)
ZekeWild
Participator

Postby Duke The Wolf » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:20 am

I tried to tutorial... and the action thing is UNDRAGGABLE! I can't drag it into the actions list! I can get it in the event list only! How do you get it into the actions list?! :x
Duke The Wolf
Somewhat familiar

Postby Baif » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:11 pm

(If anyone finds a extention for importing animations into GM for Bg's or sprits PM me!! 8) lol

That isn't really a good idea. making an entire background animated would slug down the game a lot. Your best bet would be using sprites with 999 depth as the animated parts of the background.

Duke The Wolf, i would recommend you to start learing GML directly instead of drag and drop. Its way more powerful and drag&drop its kinda more tirying to use overall.

Any question you may have feel free to ask and i'll try and help you in what i can
Baif
Participator

Postby taito » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:28 pm

Yeah I mean if you have to script all the physics and detection you could use RPG maker to do it yourself. It's possible...just really hard. ^_^
<div>Taito</div><br>
taito
---

Postby Journeyman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:43 am

@Duke--there's 2 things that you set up in an object...events that the object waits for, and actions that it takes. You cannot drag actions into the events area and you cannot drag events into the actions area. You can add an event (Like when the object is created...ir when it's clicked on...or every step of the game...) and then drag the actions you would like to have happen into the actions area.

@Zeke--Game Maker can import animated gif files natively. It also allows you to edit a sprite and load a sequence of any type of images as an animation. It also allows you to import sprite sheets, and it divides them up for you. :D
Journeyman.
Journeyman
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Duke The Wolf » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:30 pm

Well it SAYS to drag it into the actions thing on the built in tutorial. Ah fuck I might as well give up.
Duke The Wolf
Somewhat familiar

Postby KavenBach » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:56 pm

Well, anyone who has tried my "Tower of Change" effort will know just how very difficult it can be to work the collision detection. Though I'm sure I'm probably just too random in my work ethic to get everything to work as cleanly as it should. Getting stuck in things, managing gravity, jumps varying in height based on how long you press the button, or turning into stratosphere liftoffs instead of little leaps...

It is surely very easy for those who have decent faculties for this kind of thing. For those of us less well endowed mentally, it can be a challenge to use. My experience has been that the drag-and-drop allows for some basic stuff, but as you go along you want to do things mere drag-drop cannot, or make too complex. Game Maker has a built-in help system that contains most if not all the stuff you need to learn to use the GML, Game Maker Language, but you have to be willing to muddle through... and you have to not expect a massive and supreme perfect game right off the bat. You have to learn what you need as you go, in some cases, and be willing to accept it when you realize you screwed up the most basic detail at the beginning and need to restart your entire effort from scratch.

In other words, you'll need patience, and that last post suggests you may be lacking on that front...

To drag-drop; click "add event" in an object (below the left whispace). Once it's there, click it, THEN drag commands in from the right, into the right-hand whitespace.
"Lady, I WARNED you that my plants wouldn't tolerate tresspassers, either! NOW look at you!"
"Mmh! Mmh!"

https://www.patreon.com/KavenBach
KavenBach
DamselDangerologist

Postby Duke The Wolf » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:35 pm

I tried that and it did not work.
Duke The Wolf
Somewhat familiar

Postby WolfRider » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:17 am

I'm having my own troubles getting it to work.

I yet to find a tutorial that explains how to make a Hack n Slash Platformer.

I Wish to Create a Castlevania style Hack n Slash with Vorish content, but most of the tutorials on Youtube and Yoyo Games fail to explain clearly how everything should be coded and such :<
WolfRider
New to the forum

Postby gamepopper101 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:31 am

Game Maker 8 Pro is $25. Game Maker Lite is Free, but you can't use particle effects, splash media files or 3D Game Functionality. Contrary to what other people on here say, I find Game Maker easier than RPG Maker, since all the physics and gravity is easy to impliment and the tutorials the entire community provides are a big help.
gamepopper101
New to the forum

Return to Vore game