3D realtime vore animations - need ideas

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

3D realtime vore animations - need ideas

Postby ImaginaryZ » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:22 am

Ok, I've wanted to post this for a long time, but here is the summary:

Anyone have ideas on how a 3D model could be animated specifically for vore? (I prefer in-game realtime, so with C/C++ code, but don't restrict yourselves because ideas always help)

Ideally, this would involve a lot of stretching/struggling, possibly support for dynamic hard vore as well, but anything else could also be a potential winner, throw ideas please! (Because you can't predict inspiration!)

Details:
So far, the easiest method I have come up with involves spheres (remember mazer2.swf? same idea...), so that a victim would have a couple strategically placed around their body (invisible, of course) that would "push"* the predators triangles (remember a 3D model is made of points and triangles) out so that the sphere was completely enclosed, thus making a bulge. The basics of this method seem to work, but it needs a few improvements. If anyone has better ideas, or suggestions I'd like to hear them...
*push means move along the traingles facet normal

More Details: I have a generic mesh class in C++ that uses OpenGL that allows me to export models in Blender and abuse them. I'm working on a inheriting class that performs collision math so that this bulging idea is possible. If you want code stuffs, let me know.
Loving-Ultra-Cuddle-Soft-Vore aficionado;
Fur Affinity
Deviant Art
YouTube
Nothing worth doing is easy!
ImaginaryZ
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: 3D realtime vore animations - need ideas

Postby Luigi2024 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:31 pm

This is oversimplistic I know, but I'm not too familiar with 3-D game making, especially involving C++, but...

Why don't you just use different animations for different size bulges? You can link the size of each actor to a variable, then use a mathematic equation to determine the animation used.

One con with this is that you would have a finite amount of bulge sizes. The advantage is that, if you really want to get complicated, you can animate swallowings without the prey first forming into a ball. Problem with this is, especially if you have a large amount of varying creatures, that would mean an animation per animal per size of that animal, and with a large amount of coding to boot.

But since you use blender3d, I'll bet you've come across that idea already. The "pushing" on the mesh seems like a complicated amount of C++, but I've never tried using the class that you use. Then again, I'm only now learning C++.

[O.T.], if you want a graphics engine to mess with in your spare time, try this: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ . There are python modules that come with it that import Blender objects (or allow Blender to export the correct file). This was one reason I decided to take up C++.
Where did it all go wrong? The fourth book; if Ron were Voldemort, the fifth book would have made perfect sense.
Luigi2024
Somewhat familiar

Postby Chrisis » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:29 pm

or perhaps use squash and stretch features by linking nurbs?
Integrated Isicera, Devourer of the Omniverse here to enlighten, devour, and transcend. <3
Chrisis
The eternal procrastinator

Postby Luigi2024 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:04 pm

This may be something that can expand on your sphere idea:

In Super Smash Bros. Melee, the physics engine determines contact betweeen characters by using what are called "Contact Bubbles." Each armature of a character (face, joints, etc), is covered by a bubble. The bubbles themselves are rarely spherical, however (save for the head), but instead are capsule shaped. If you have both SSBM and an Action Replay, you can view these bubbles by using a debug menu.

You can use these bubbles similar to the spheres in your game for complex bulges, without the need of a complex set of hand-entered animations, like my previous suggestion.
Where did it all go wrong? The fourth book; if Ron were Voldemort, the fifth book would have made perfect sense.
Luigi2024
Somewhat familiar

Postby Duamutef » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:34 pm

I've been trying to figure out how to do this practically for like a year now. Sufficed to say, if there's a simple way, I don't know what it is. But if you're skilled enough to work vertex by vertex, the easiest way is with a morph target--make two versions of the model, one normal, one bulging, and then interpolate the vertex differences between the two to animate it.
Step into my world, and maybe one of it's denizens...
http://www.sdcga.com/~duam9/
Duamutef
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby BioRebel » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:04 pm

Are you using an already existing engine? Or are you writing from scratch?
I personally suggest just writing a mod for Oblivion for the PC. It's easy enough to pirate.
>_>
<_<
*Does the sexy husky dance*
BioRebel
Participator

Hooray, replies!

Postby ImaginaryZ » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:25 am

Thanks for the feedback so far, it's been really helpful to me!

Luigi2024:

Right, and right again, if the other methods don't work just making a few bulge animations is the default method. I'm trying to avoid using an engine, but I'm not sure why. Probably bad experiences with them way back.
Using the capsules aligned along the armatures is a better ieda than the spheres, but I'll have to get spheres working first, since the only difference is the collision shape. That is a great idea though, thanks!

Chrisis:

I havent played with NURBS modelling, but that would definantly be THE ideal solution. If you have ideas on how to export that information from Blender, that'd be awesome.

Duamutef:

Yup, morph targets are also another default method to use. Ideally, combining morph targets with a skeletal animation system would work for most cases, but it's not very dynamic, but can be faked to look that way pretty easily. I do plan to have morph targets working in the future.

BioRebel:

This is all from scratch, minus using SDL, OpenGL, OpenAL, and RakNet. My computer can't run Oblivion, or otherwise I might have tried that. :(

In summary:
Vertex Keyframes / Morph Targets - Tried and true method. Simple in implementation.
Special Animation Types - Push Spheres and capsules, not common but more useful and complicated
Use Interpolation - NURBS or splines, may be a better solution overall, unsure how to use them though.
Just do it - Make multiple animaition states (Abuse armatures or keyframes to make enough animations)

I look forward to hearing more ideas, I'm sure you all haven't revealed ALL your secrets yet. :P

anyways, I attached the code I'm using and the blank app that tests my crummy mesh class. Abuse it however. You will need SDL 1.2.9 to compile it, I included the .NET project thingy. Also, I use a lot of IGTL's utility things, also included.
Attachments
TestProject.zip
Blank project for testing GMesh
(730.57 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
Fur Affinity
Deviant Art
YouTube
ImaginaryZ
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Hooray, replies!

Postby OldOne » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:34 am

Wish I could relly add something constructive here, but I am no programmer/digital artest. But Have played with the physics stuff in a 3D rendering program before, though not much. Ummmmm.... I reember, with a program I toyed with, called #d studios MAx, or something liek that, playing with values in gravity, mass and such to effect how a oobject acts. If your using that, then prehaps, like was mentioned ealier, you can use what ever system you need to, to distort the pred, and use the a combanition of values, liek the preys size, weight and such, and the same types of characteristics for the pred, to manipulate belly dimentions and such. Like smaller, lighter prey would not buldge out the belly, or make it hand lower, while larger, heavier prey would.

Not sure how to do it mind you, but maybe some one out there does, that can expand the idea for you, in terms you can use to help you.
OldOne
Been posting for a bit

Re: Hooray, replies!

Postby Aleph-Null » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:19 pm

out of curiosity what are you using to render in realtime?

I mean does this need to be dynamic for a game?

I would suggest constructing a hit box for the prey and using skeletal animation for the pred if you are using blender. Just rig a bunch of bones to where ever you want a bulge.
Aleph-Null
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby ImaginaryZ » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:27 pm

OldOne: Interesting, that's a pretty useful observation, I think I get it, like having a (sorry for the bantering) group of verticies named "bulge" or something, and then use a physical equation to "push" them, based on the preys stats... sounds like that'd be a good solution if I can;t find other, simpler realtime ones. Thanks! ^^

Aleph-Null: OpenGL V1.1 or higher, not 2.0, minimal extensions, no shader language. I wrote my own model class that uses vertex arrays (YEAH!) so it really just needs a animation class that inherits the base mesh class or something like that. Yes, it needs to be dynamic/real time for a game. Hit boxes work, but they aren't as clean as I'd like, maybe hit spheres, capsules/pills as suggested earlier, who knows.

I do intend to have a mix of armature and vertex keyframe animation.

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe after I grad-iate I can work on this stuff hardcore after work. >.< Peace out!
Fur Affinity
Deviant Art
YouTube
ImaginaryZ
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re:

Postby OldOne » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:18 am

Not a problem. I such at accual programing/art. But therory I am good at. but ya. Environmantal effects and forces are in these higher end rendering programs, so why not use them, I would say. Mass, gravity, resistances and so on. Hope that can help you.
OldOne
Been posting for a bit

Return to Vore game