FPS - Vore Tournament

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: FPS - Vore Tournament

Postby RossTheEmeraldFox » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:21 am

Connorcreeper wrote:Would it be possible to maybe get a video demonstrating how to do it ??

no

Jk Idk Acronym
RossTheEmeraldFox
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby hernextmeal » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:54 am

So I got curious and decided to try compiling it on Windows. Turns out that it needs a few more libraries and tools than what the instructions tell you to install. I'm not finished and it's late but for sure libtool, autoconf, automake, and gmp are needed.

Also don't bother with tortoisegit, if you're already using the command line you might as well just use command line git.

When I sort it out I'll make a shell script people can just copy and paste into msys that will download and compile everything. That should be more fool resistant than the current build instructions.
hernextmeal
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby LuluBoxFox » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:23 am

hernextmeal wrote:So I got curious and decided to try compiling it on Windows. Turns out that it needs a few more libraries and tools than what the instructions tell you to install. I'm not finished and it's late but for sure libtool, autoconf, automake, and gmp are needed.

Also don't bother with tortoisegit, if you're already using the command line you might as well just use command line git.

When I sort it out I'll make a shell script people can just copy and paste into msys that will download and compile everything. That should be more fool resistant than the current build instructions.

That would be awesome and very nice of you <3
LuluBoxFox
Been posting for a bit

Postby hernextmeal » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:40 pm

So, apparently the build scripts insist on using mingw32-make, which flat out doesn't work in MSYS2. I tried symlinking normal make to mingw32-make but it then "failed to generate output file" (nice verbose error message there, though I'm pretty sure it's just looking for the wrong output file.) Honestly it would probably be easier to tell people to install Linux and a cross compiler in VirtualBox than try and modify the buildscripts to work on MSYS2. Really doubting the Windows instructions were ever actually tested at this point. (Edit: Or I could be using the wrong batch file to start the thing.)

But apparently the Xonotic build instructions suggest msysgit instead of msys2:

https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wiki ... ory_Access

So I'll try that instead. If that fails I'll probably just make a Docker image with the compiler set up.
Last edited by hernextmeal on Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
hernextmeal
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby seth270 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:30 am

well glad to See VT making a Heroic Comeback Look forward to playing it when it's ready
seth270
Participator

Postby GramzonTheDragon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:58 pm

Where did you get the music for the older vore tournament? I'm specially interested in that interesting track that's played on soylent space (or however you spell it...).
GramzonTheDragon
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby hernextmeal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:42 am

Been distracted with exams, but actually got it to compile. MSYS2 actually requires you to launch a separate batch file to set up the path in order to get compilers to work.

Here's how you do it. I'm assuming you're using a 64-bit installation of Windows, you will need a different installer and will need to change some commands around for 32-bit, but most people are probably on 64 bit.

1. Consider turning off your antivirus as they often do not play well with compilers.

2. Get MSYS2 from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/ ... urce=files

3. Install it. Make sure you have plenty (tens of gigabytes) of free space on the drive you are installing in.

4. Go into your Start menu (you can hit the Windows key and start typing to search on Windows 8+) and find the item named "MSYS2 MinGW 64-bit", launch it. You will have open a little terminal window that you can type stuff into.

5. Now for the commands. These can pretty much be copy and pasted in (right click copy, then right click paste) and it should work. You might need to hit enter a couple times when it asks you some questions.

Code: Select all
pacman -S git curl zip make gcc mingw-w64-x86_64-{toolchain,make,gcc,SDL2,libjpeg-turbo,libpng,libogg,gmp} autoconf libtool automake gmp-devel unzip p7zip
git clone https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic.git xonotic
pushd xonotic
./all update  -l best
git clone https://gitlab.com/MirceaKitsune/voretournament-mod.git data_voretournament
./all compile
pushd data_voretournament
sh build.sh
popd

6. If all went well you should have received no errors. The game is ready to be launched. To launch it, type in the terminal (assuming you are still in the xonotic directory):

./all run  -customgamedirname2 data_voretournament

7. You can get extra maps from http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/, place the files in the xonotic/data folder and the engine should see them. If you can't find the directory in Explorer you can open it with the command
explorer "$(cygpath -w "$(pwd)")"
or you can use the command line to download them
pushd data
curl $URL #where $URL is the URL you wish to download.
popd

8. TODO: Figure out how to not suck at FPS games and how to actually use the mod...
Last edited by hernextmeal on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
hernextmeal
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby MirceaKitsune » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:22 am

Sorry for the delayed response. Apparently the forum once again decided to randomly not send email notifications for a few subscribed threads >.>

hernextmeal wrote:When I sort it out I'll make a shell script people can just copy and paste into msys that will download and compile everything. That should be more fool resistant than the current build instructions.

Thank you for that script, it looks very complete and useful! The Windows users I collaborated with to test my build.sh script didn't require those extra dependencies, so I am a bit curious as to why you need them. Also I wonder if that pacman command can be thought to check whether the packages already exist, and not reinstall everything unnecessarily whenever "pacman -S" is ran... if so I could make it part of my build.sh perhaps. And is "./all compile" really working on Windows... because one of the admins said there's currently a problem with running it through MSYS2.

GramzonTheDragon wrote:Where did you get the music for the older vore tournament? I'm specially interested in that interesting track that's played on soylent space (or however you spell it...).

Unless I'm mistaken, I got all of it from OpenGameArt. Look in the music directory of the old VT, then search the song names there perhaps.
Vore Tournament - A FOSS vore FPS based on Xonotic.
Patreon - Please support me if you enjoy my projects.
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby hernextmeal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:26 am

MirceaKitsune wrote:Thank you for that script, it looks very complete and useful! The Windows users I collaborated with to test my build.sh script didn't require those extra dependencies, so I am a bit curious as to why you need them. Also I wonder if that pacman command can be thought to check whether the packages already exist, and not reinstall everything unnecessarily whenever "pacman -S" is ran... if so I could make it part of my build.sh perhaps. And is "./all compile" really working on Windows... because one of the admins said there's currently a problem with running it through MSYS2..

1. The "./all compile" step insisted on autotools (probably not needed for the work around), gmp, and unzip. Your build.sh complained about a lack of 7z in path so I threw p7zip in there (It's likely your Windows users already have unzip and p7zip in their PATH from some other *nix-like environment. Also, the zip package does not provide unzip, only zip)

2. The --needed flag should do what you want:
pacman --needed -S $dependencies
- it's a full blown port of Arch's pacman so if you need any other flags that's where the manual will be.

3. And yes, the compilation does appear to be working without any workarounds with the right dependencies.
hernextmeal
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby MirceaKitsune » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks again :) I might update the build script and add the suggested "pacman" line there, so that build.sh can automatically install the dependencies if missing. The rest I'll probably leave as is, since it seems to work for everyone and I'd rather avoid depending on the ./all script.

[EDIT] There is now a deps.sh which msys2 users are required to run after installing msys2. It will install all the necessary dependencies based on platform, the list now including all packages mentioned by hernextmeal.
Last edited by MirceaKitsune on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby shadyguy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:39 pm

Followed hernextmeal's instructions and ran into a slight hiccup at the end which, it seems, was a result of the Darkplaces engine being incorrectly compiled. Fixed it by downloading the Darkplaces engine manually through a link on the gitlab page *available in Mircea's sig* and placing the unextracted contents in the "darkplaces" folder in the xonotic directory. Thought it worth mentioning, if any other Windows users are having problems. Running Windows 7 x64 myself.
shadyguy
New to the forum

Postby MirceaKitsune » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:47 pm

shadyguy wrote:Followed hernextmeal's instructions and ran into a slight hiccup at the end which, it seems, was a result of the Darkplaces engine being incorrectly compiled. Fixed it by downloading the Darkplaces engine manually through a link on the gitlab page *available in Mircea's sig* and placing the unextracted contents in the "darkplaces" folder in the xonotic directory. Thought it worth mentioning, if any other Windows users are having problems. Running Windows 7 x64 myself.

If Darkplaces compiled without errors, there should be no problem. Just remember that darkplaces.exe needs to be renamed into xonotic.exe, while you also need to copy the necessary dll files next to it (from xonotic/misc/buildfiles/win64).
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby hernextmeal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:12 pm

shadyguy wrote:Followed hernextmeal's instructions and ran into a slight hiccup at the end which, it seems, was a result of the Darkplaces engine being incorrectly compiled. Fixed it by downloading the Darkplaces engine manually through a link on the gitlab page *available in Mircea's sig* and placing the unextracted contents in the "darkplaces" folder in the xonotic directory. Thought it worth mentioning, if any other Windows users are having problems. Running Windows 7 x64 myself.

What specifically was the error? Downloading a precompiled binary is a nice workaround but ideally compiling should just work (and knowing what errors people are getting would help with that.) I have a bunch of dev tools on my PC so maybe there's still missing deps that a fresh Windows+MSYS2 wouldn't have.

MirceaKitsune wrote:If Darkplaces compiled without errors, there should be no problem. Just remember that darkplaces.exe needs to be renamed into xonotic.exe, while you also need to copy the necessary dll files next to it (from xonotic/misc/buildfiles/win64).

I never had to do that, the ./all script worked just fine to launch the game even though it was still named darkplaces.exe (and still in the xonotic/darkplaces/ directory)
hernextmeal
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby shadyguy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:29 pm

hernextmeal wrote:

What specifically was the error? Downloading a precompiled binary is a nice workaround but ideally compiling should just work (and knowing what errors people are getting would help with that.) I have a bunch of dev tools on my PC so maybe there's still missing deps that a fresh Windows+MSYS2 wouldn't have.

"Client darkplaces/darkplaces not found, aborting" was the error. I fixed it by downloading the precompiled binary, like you said, but a quick search revealed that someone else fixed it by it downloading the "development packages for SDL". Perhaps that's what you're looking for? http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=365

MirceaKitsune wrote:

If Darkplaces compiled without errors, there should be no problem. Just remember that darkplaces.exe needs to be renamed into xonotic.exe, while you also need to copy the necessary dll files next to it (from xonotic/misc/buildfiles/win64).

Any reason for this? Renaming wasn't necessary for me to get the game to run, and doing so causes me to get the same error I had originally--"Client darkplaces/darkplaces not found, aborting".
shadyguy
New to the forum

Postby hernextmeal » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:28 pm

shadyguy wrote:"Client darkplaces/darkplaces not found, aborting" was the error. I fixed it by downloading the precompiled binary, like you said, but a quick search revealed that someone else fixed it by it downloading the "development packages for SDL". Perhaps that's what you're looking for? http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=365

In the ./all compile step or the ./all run step? If it's in the ./all run step, it means that it didn't compile properly in the ./all compile step. SDL headers are installed by pacman, so that won't be the problem.

Try running the following command:

./all compile 2>&1 > compile.log
and uploading the contents of compile.log to dropbox or pastebin, then link that here. It probably threw an error somewhere. (Also make sure that you are in the MINGW64 terminal, not the MSYS terminal. Once puts the required tools in the path and one doesn't. It should say in hot pink in the prompt.)

MirceaKitsune wrote:Any reason for this? Renaming wasn't necessary for me to get the game to run, and doing so causes me to get the same error I had originally--"Client darkplaces/darkplaces not found, aborting".

Their instructions had you call the binary directly (ie. ./xonotic -customgamedirname2 data_voretournament) obviously if you're using "xonotic" as the command having the binary called anything else won't work.
hernextmeal
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby MirceaKitsune » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:11 pm

shadyguy wrote:Any reason for this? Renaming wasn't necessary for me to get the game to run, and doing so causes me to get the same error I had originally--"Client darkplaces/darkplaces not found, aborting".

Yes: Darkplaces uses a slightly weird model... where a bunch of games are hardcoded into the engine, and it knows which is running based on the name of the binary. If for instance you were using it to run Quake, darkplaces.exe would need to be named quake.exe. If it's not called xonotic.exe in this case, you'll get a missing data error when you attempt to start it.

Funny fact: The name VoreTournament is actually on the list as well, and allowed the old VT to run without extra parameters (if the binary was voretournament.exe). The admin of the engine agreed to add it to the list back then.
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby RossTheEmeraldFox » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:03 am

If you look closely in the last few posts, You can find the matrix.
RossTheEmeraldFox
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby LuluBoxFox » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:26 am

is there a way to make a shortcut and make it much easier ??

also i can't seem to eat anyone or be ate and the mutiplayer list is huge
Last edited by LuluBoxFox on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LuluBoxFox
Been posting for a bit

Postby MirceaKitsune » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:45 am

Connorcreeper wrote:is there a way to make a shortcut and make it much easier ??

Sure: Create a shortcut to xonotic.exe, then go into its Properties and in the Target field modify the command to be "path_to_xonotic\xonotic.exe -customgamedirname2 data_voretournament".
MirceaKitsune
???

Postby LuluBoxFox » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:59 am

MirceaKitsune wrote:
Connorcreeper wrote:is there a way to make a shortcut and make it much easier ??

Sure: Create a shortcut to xonotic.exe, then go into its Properties and in the Target field modify the command to be "path_to_xonotic\xonotic.exe -customgamedirname2 data_voretournament".

But i only seem to have the console from hernextmeals thing which is MSYS2 thing
LuluBoxFox
Been posting for a bit

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game