Developing Vore Game (previously Looking for a Programmer)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Developing Vore Game (previously Looking for a Programmer)

Postby Rampart » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:31 am

Hello all! This will be my first post on these forums.

Anyways, to what the title implies. I am a moderately experienced video-game artist (specializing mostly in 3D, but I do have basic 2D sprite work skills), and I was planning on creating a simple platform game centered around my favourite subject; vore!

-General Concept-
The premise of the game is that 'Alice' (working title) was swallowed by some big bad monster (ie: giant squid) and must escape out the other end, as you would assume. Through the monster's monstrous digestive tract, she'll have to pass through multiple intestines and stomachs, evading the other monsters the squid has previously swallowed (which coincidentally, want to swallow Alice). Anyways, I have made a mock-up image using graphics I've just whipped up in the last hour or two, which displays how the clothing acts as armour. The more clothing Alice has, the longer time she has to struggle away from monsters.

I should mention in this game I don't want to have any ryona aspects; for example, if a monster swallows her completely, the screen will fade to black or somesuch and she'll wake up naked somewhere further back in the digestive tract (as for stomach acid, it will only dissolve clothes, not incapacitate Alice). No digest-to-poo or gory deaths. :s

-Graphics Format -
The current Alice character is composed completely of different sprites for each limb ( head, torso, waist, upper/lower legs, etc.). There was another game engine that looked similar to the way I would have the character animate using multiple rotating sprites, I think it was called Foxtail?

I'd also like to have transparency for the acid, as you can see in the mock-up below. While it would be possible to live without transparency for the acid, it would improve the look of acid substantially.

I can make any other graphics that are necessary for this when that time comes. However, I specialize specifically in graphical art; since I have relatively no experience with sounds we'll have to rely on freesound or perhaps another person capable of making them (I know my way around Audacity, but I'm no good at actual sound creation).

-About myself-
I am an amateur video-game graphics artist with currently one complete open-source game under my belt, which I have created a large portion of the graphics for.
I have advanced skills in 3D modelling concerning both hi-poly and low-poly models (using Blender).
I have intermediate texture artist skills, primarily using the GIMP.
I can do pixel art, but it's been years since I last used this skill, so I'm a little rusty.
I'm new here! :]

So, anyone interested? ^¸^

[Edit] Updated mock-up picture using edge tiles
Attachments
mockup.png
Last edited by Rampart on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rampart
New to the forum

Re: Looking for a Programmer to help develop Vore Game

Postby 11millionseconds » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:56 pm

Hey. I was developing an engine for this purpose a while back. It was going to be overhead, but there's not much different engine-wise. I do need a group of people to work with though. If I'm the only one doing work, then this'll get shoved to the backburner pretty dang fast, since I'm also working on several projects in 3D for actual profit. Here's shots from the editor so far:

editor.png

Some specs on the editor/engine:

supports any size tiles, so long as they are square (not a big problem I think).
supports skeletal animation (not fully implemented yet).
will support multiple layers. The hardest part of that is getting the editor to work with it so far. Displaying them is easy.
is based on Tao, Sdl, and OpenGL in C#. Should be cross-platform (I've tested this with another engine before and it works) if built with Mono.
The engine was originally for an overhead game, but there's not much difference for a platformer. (ie, gravity, and that's it).
It will support alpha-blending, at least for the skeletal body parts (so they smoothly blend into each other).

For me skill is not a problem. I can do just about anything (I'm an engine developer). Motivation is the issue for me. If I feel motivated enough, I can do some amazing stuff. But if there's no demand, or no communication from the rest of the group, or there's just no spirit to the project, I stop working. So here's the deal. I can make the engine for you, but you're going to have to do (or find someone else to do) the rest. As in, game logic scripting with events, level design, etc. If you can do that then I'm in.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Rampart » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Whoa, looks great! Already a skeleton system in development, too!

As for scripting, I have a fair amount of experience using C-Style syntax for game development, so I should be able to work my way with that.

I'll PM you concerning the engine, then. :]
Rampart
New to the forum

Postby Kiyoa » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Well, this may seem a bit crass to just toss in from left field, but you may also want to check out Spriter (which can be found here - http://www.brashmonkey.com/Spriter), which is another program for the same purpose.

I'm not sure how far along it would be in comparison to 11millionseconds work, however. It is currently in beta, and he has a set of tutorials (very, very dry tutorials) up on youtube.
Attachments
25.jpg
Just for comparison purposes
Kiyoa
Somewhat familiar

Postby Rampart » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:48 pm

I gave it a whirl and I find it very difficult to use. :/ I don't have time to watch the tutorial videos to be honest, but it seems it isn't possible to change the layer order for sprites; or the option to change the order is just hidden away somewhere. Also, the coloured dot denoting the floor is really obtrusive (it actually covers up your sprites :[ ).

I think I'll just wait for 11millionseconds to get a functioning skeleton system, this program threw me for a loop.
Rampart
New to the forum

Postby 11millionseconds » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Kiyoa wrote:Well, this may seem a bit crass to just toss in from left field, but you may also want to check out Spriter (which can be found here - http://www.brashmonkey.com/Spriter), which is another program for the same purpose.

I'm not sure how far along it would be in comparison to 11millionseconds work, however. It is currently in beta, and he has a set of tutorials (very, very dry tutorials) up on youtube.

I tried the link and it leads me to a page not found error? Screenshot looks pretty neat though. Certainly a different approach to a skeletal system than I had, but looks like it's a tad bit simpler to use.
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Kiyoa » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:45 am

11millionseconds wrote:I tried the link and it leads me to a page not found error? Screenshot looks pretty neat though. Certainly a different approach to a skeletal system than I had, but looks like it's a tad bit simpler to use.

Huh. That's a bit weird; actually, thinking on it, I wonder how I got the url looking like that, as it's just come just up as www.brashmonkey.com since, but I definitely know I did a copy and paste job.

/shrug

Rampart wrote:I gave it a whirl and I find it very difficult to use. :/ I don't have time to watch the tutorial videos to be honest, but it seems it isn't possible to change the layer order for sprites; or the option to change the order is just hidden away somewhere. Also, the coloured dot denoting the floor is really obtrusive (it actually covers up your sprites :[ ).

I think I'll just wait for 11millionseconds to get a functioning skeleton system, this program threw me for a loop.

Changing the layer order is done with control + either the up or down arrow keys. The guys very fond of hotkeys, it seems (but then, so am I.)

The tutorials are very helpful, but I can definitely agree on them being quite time consuming. In any case, sorry to hear you didn't care for it.
Kiyoa
Somewhat familiar

Postby Rampart » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Blender is difficult to learn too due to it's heavy reliance on hotkeys (you can model incredibly fast when you learn them), but they all can also be found in logical menus. :V
Rampart
New to the forum

Postby Rampart » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Here is some art related to the game. The second image is an illustration of the game's work-in-progress story.

I hereby license the following files under the CC-BY-NC-SA license.
Attachments
Concept.png
A concept illustration.
Concept.png (10.76 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
SquidAttack2.png
(click to enlarge)
Rampart
New to the forum

Return to Vore game