Text based vore game?

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Would you play a text based game?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:36 pm

Yes
98%
No
2%

Total votes : 178

Re: Text based vore game?

Postby Thagrahn » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:08 pm

Cerolas wrote:
Thagrahn wrote:I am setting up with a mix of three attacks, three defenses, two vores, and a capture option.

The core game loop is already setup, and so is your werewolf.
I need to set up the humans, the combat loop (Including the vore sub-loop), and the camp loop.
Choices will be entered via single character input.

Mind if I ask what you're writing this in? I'm currently working with lua, although there are many other options out there.

Microsoft Visual Studios C++

Basically, I'm writing the entire thing myself.
Half way though the Combat loop now, You can fight, but the humans can't fight back yet.
(Not much of a game if there's no element of challenge.)
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Thagrahn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Update on progress for my text based game!

The combat loop is fully complete! You can choose your attacks, you can choose how to defend against the humans attacks (Includes a counter attack option), and there is an interrupt switch for when the vore options become available. This means the full hunting loop is complete (I chose to just have you select hunting instead of fighting with trying to create an explorable map.)

End of game content is also done, so there is the results if you choose to quit, and there is something for if you get killed.

Still working on the campsite, as it is a sequence of choices that will have to be contained in a loop.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby 11millionseconds » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:49 am

Awesome... looking forward to seeing this =D
11millionseconds
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby JeremyTN » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:41 pm

When you're done with it, I will happily test it!
JeremyTN
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby wackozako » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:13 am

Thagrahn wrote:I know a lot of us like to see the vore animations, but would any of you be willing to play a strictly text based game where you had the option of a couple vore moves when the enemy is weak?

PLEASE THIS IS A FANTASTIC IDEA!

The authors of eka's portal should know they can DO THIS! I think this is a TERRIFIC way to translate stories that have already been authored, and just take collective descriptive paths into other areas of the vore writing genre!
wackozako
Somewhat familiar

Postby Thagrahn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Good news, only two things left to do to complete the camping loop. Both are part of the same choice withing the camp, and nice and naughty.

Haven't done the debug compile in a while since there where a lot of parts that required being broken off so that many things could reuse the same event call.

This thing is simple but there is still a lot to do withing the game. Likely to do a release compile and have it ready for everyone on Wednesday.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Thagrahn » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:42 pm

The bad news: I couldn't finish and compile the game for release yet do to unfinished content.

The good news: The unfinished content is additional kinky choices and details that were thought of last minute.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Snorlaxkid wrote:
ptbptb wrote:
Cerolas wrote:I'm wondering what the OP has in mind, rouge-like, text adventure or something else??

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

> N

You go North. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

> E

You go East. A grue seizes you in its jaws. You struggle to escape it's grasp, but the hooked teeth tearing your flesh ensure you are only going in one direction ... down. The grue gulps, and with a jerking movement your body slides further, head first, into its belly. You are surrounded by the hot, wet, pressure of the grue's stomach, only your feet remain outside to twitch pointlessly in the dungeon air. With a fetid gurgle stomach juices are released into the grue's belly and you feel your clothes start to dissolve ...

>Struggle

You would achieve nothing by this.

>

...Actually, that is one thing that keeps tripping me up mentally a bit: how one would do a convincing player-as-prey setup in this kind of context without blatantly putting the plot on railroads at the same time upon reaching this kind of point. After all, if text adventure/"interactive fiction", then (ideally) interesting and meaningful choices beyond just entering "wait" repeatedly to read the next block of lovingly detailed digestion prose...and yet, the prey being plausibly helpless is a pretty strong key concept of many stock vore scenarios and diverging from that too radically (say, by giving the player character a shiny elvish sword with which to cut him- or herself back out of any stomach) arguably breaks out of the genre proper for at least some vore fans, not so coincidentally including myself.

Still trying to think my way around this issue.
Mark
Participator

Postby Thagrahn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:53 pm

@Mark

That setup with the player as prey wouldn't work well, that's why I chose to try and do a Text Based with the player as pred. I still need to finish it up, but haven't had time do to the fact I'm moving and in college.

The game will only take a few hours to finish, but it has to wait until after school work, and working on moving.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby sabrina_diamond » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:51 am

I would like a Text based vore game where you get to choose the prey and predator's name and it is like a Choose-your-own-adventure type interactive story, where every decision counts.
*Chomp, slideee, gurgle gurgle* Must have ate something off! *screaming*
sabrina_diamond
???

Postby Baz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:18 pm

I wouldn't play an as-pred text game. I RP to do that.
"I might not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death." E. B. Hall
"I have two types of friend. You're either my kind of asshole, or my kind of nutter. It's up to you to decide which one you are!"
Baz
Yat

Postby Snorlaxkid » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:58 pm

Baz wrote:I wouldn't play an as-pred text game. I RP to do that.

Ditto. :\ It's just not as fun if you have the advantage from the start.
Snorlaxkid
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby zelphi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:31 pm

i wouldn't mind playing this once it's up and running .
hi i'm Yuki Mizuki.
zelphi
???

Postby empatheticapathy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:49 am

Snorlaxkid wrote:

I'm sure the game won't be like that. Surely you have to make at least a moderate effort to actually eat any of the prey. Otherwise it would be more of a toy than a game.
empatheticapathy
---

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Thagrahn wrote:@Mark

That setup with the player as prey wouldn't work well, that's why I chose to try and do a Text Based with the player as pred. I still need to finish it up, but haven't had time do to the fact I'm moving and in college.

The game will only take a few hours to finish, but it has to wait until after school work, and working on moving.

Hm. Well, to be honest, I was looking for slightly more useful feedback than just "it'll never work, forget about it". ;)

That said, I've managed to come up with a few random thought bubbles in the interim.

-- If I want to make being swallowed (past the point where escape might still be somehow plausible) an inescapable doom, then jumping straight to the "You have been digested" message might well be entirely appropriate for at least some of the preds the player runs into. (Not every pred encountered is necessarily going to be an important major NPC, after all.) And where I do want to draw it out, I should probably aim to (a) make it clear to the player in some fashion that there honestly is no escape past that point so he or she doesn't waste time and energy getting frustrated looking for some secret exit puzzle that I genuinely didn't implement and (b) make the 'digestion' part interesting in and of itself; say, perhaps by turning it into a mini-game that might even allow the player to score a few extra consolation points to their final score before dying.

-- Conversely, maybe I do want vore to be survivable at least some of the time. In that case, the parts above about making the experience entertaining still hold; interacting with your pred's digestive tract may not speed the process along in the slightest, but should at least earn some interesting responses anyway. Also, unless I'm really just shooting for a happy vore-themed joyride -- not that that's somehow a bad thing, of course --, some element of risk and consequently challenge should probably remain. Maybe escaping being turned into lunch uses up a limited resource each time and once that's gone, the player character is meat after all. (A variant of this would be one where 'feeding', while not intrinsically lethal, still comes at a cost to the character's health that makes it unsafe to get caught too often in a given timespan.) Or if none of these apply, the player character could always simply be operating under a time limit so that wasting too many hours in some tempting belly or other would lose the game even if nothing else bad ever happens... (Hey, maybe what's on the line is a dinner date with the PC's absolute favorite pred! Who'd want to risk being late for that? :D)

With that off my mind and before I forget, best of luck with your game. I'm at the very least curious about it myself. :)
Mark
Participator

Postby Snorlaxkid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:15 am

empatheticapathy wrote:
Snorlaxkid wrote:

I'm sure the game won't be like that. Surely you have to make at least a moderate effort to actually eat any of the prey. Otherwise it would be more of a toy than a game.

Not what I meant. -_- Anyway, I'd rather be prey in a game than pred anyday.
Snorlaxkid
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Snorlaxkid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:16 am

Thagrahn wrote:@Mark

Prey DEFINATELY works better than pred in any actual gameplay context. :\ Playing as a pred is booooooring...
Snorlaxkid
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Cerolas » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:46 pm

My take on this is relatively ... different. I don't see Pred and Prey as mutually exclusive, looking at games where all characters are potential prey, and the vast majority, if not all Characters also being Pred. Most game design focuses on a linear, pre-scripted experience, ala J-RPG, a series of maps and set battles (or random encounters) between plot points. I grew up with games such as SimCity, SimEarth ... games that exist around a working model, rather than a narrative experience.

It strikes me that if you make an ecosystem of preds eating each other, and placing the player in that world to fend for himself. There would be a risk/reward element at play. Rather than just trying to avoid preds, you need to feed, yet you need to evaluate whether or not you'd end up as a snack for your next attempted meal. This also provides an avenue for advancement, as the more you eat, the more effective a predator you become, allowing you to take on more imposing preds, and so on.

Furthermore ... eating another Character may not be so simple a process. Let's say you track down prey, catch them, and then swallow them. Sure, you can sit there and digest them on the spot, but what if that process takes time? FUBN really catches upon this in a platforming environment, yet for a turn based RPG, it would add another element to the game. Dragging a heavy gut with you may inflict penalties as your prey weighs you down, and so, after your meal, your first priority would be to find a safe place to sleep that weight off, and end up a stronger pred when you wake up.

I'm a huge fan of Full-Tour ... and one of the things I would personally add to this is the fact that, if a Pred doesn't find a place to sleep or digest fast enough, they prey may not be completely digested before being passed through. Of course, this mechanic would be subject to prefrence.

Why am I spouting all of this in a thread focused on a text environment? What I describe here would be an interesting set of mechanics for a rougelike RPG, a gernre which is most commonly represented by text, and a map.

I'm working on something to this effect right now (lua, how I love thee) ... any thoughts?
Cerolas
Been posting for a bit

Previous

Return to Vore game