Space Odyssey Alpha 083C

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

0.085 interim feature request poll

Crew equipment II (yet more equipment)
5%
Spaceship equipment I (New starship technologies)
4%
Planetary biospheres I (Planetary biome info, prequisite for alien outposts and generated missions)
16%
Better effects I (Make game prettier)
35%
Unified services I (new starbase interface, prequisite for full shipyard services and alien colonies)
7%
Attempt AI improvements II (Make AI less dumb, please specify the shortcoming if you pick this option)
3%
Power armour I (add power armour)
9%
Revamp crew window
4%
More information on cargo window
1%
Journal system (let the player keep notes in game)
3%
Combat statistics post mission for crew (leads to kill tallies)
2%
Solar systems (Convert from stars to solar systems)
7%
Other(specify)
4%

Total votes : 256

Re: Space Odyssey Alpha 082A

Postby Thagrahn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:47 am

Well, I've been looking over things, and I do see a simple flaw in the fact that this is only two options in battle and one beats the other.

Possible solution would be to include a third attack form. Ranged beats Vore already, then Melee should beat Ranged, and Vore should beat Melee.

You now have to form a little bit of strategy around the fact that the monsters could also have Melee attacks to weaken your ranged fighters.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby darkevilme » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:27 pm

I'll leave a review of what classes of attack exist in the game for those who want to discuss Thagrahn's proposal to have context:
note all chance rolls are 0-100.

Vore attack. fixed cost of 8 ap.
base chance of devouring is (predator voracity - prey strength)*5
a bonus is added to this value however before the to devour roll is made and this bonus equals (100-base chance)*(currenthealth/maxhealth)
So a gron with a base chance of 10 attacking Kaye who has 50% health has a 10+(90*0.5) chance of success.
Once eaten prey cannot escape and will be digested steadily until either succumbing or their predator is slain by their friends.
Vore can only affect one target at a time but eaten individuals can take no action and lose all inventory items if applicable.

Monster attack.
Monster attack is a variant on the vore attack except on a failed roll the monster still inflicts between 1 and MONSTER STRENGTH damage. Ap and proximity requirements are unchanged.
edit note: Full enemies simply inflict damage as if using a melee attack.

Melee attack.
Always hits. attack one tile away, AP and damage depend on weapon.

Ranged attack.
Ranged bonus equals=
20+ firearms skill*2 + crouch bonus (10 if crouching, 0 if not) - (5*offhand item size if the weapon currently being used is 2 handed).
This bonus is then modified by health to create the final bonus which equals =rangedbonus*(currenthealth/maxhealth)

This number is fed to the weapon, which adds the accuracy value for the current firing mode to this value and rolls 0-100 + final bonus + accuracy (accuracy not added twice) and any result over 100 is considered a dead on shot though misses can still hurt people including the target especially at close range.
darkevilme
---

Postby darkevilme » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:44 pm

new poll bump. I have plans for the interim goals. But I'm as ever amenable to the opinions of the vast and vorish masses. So have at it.

The Interim period will continue until great and mighty things finish happening regarding third party art. At which point we'll update the version number to 0.09.
darkevilme
---

Postby Throku » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:59 pm

Poll wrote:- Planetary biospheres I (Planetary biome info, prequisite for alien outposts and generated missions)

- Unified services I (new starbase interface, prequisite for full shipyard services and alien colonies)

- Solar systems (Convert from stars to solar systems)

In that order :P

These will all give the game depth and will offer up fun possibilities.
Throku
May I take your order?

Postby Throku » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:56 am

Hmm.. so is the game a go or what? I went to the cloudstaoade and snatched the 82A zip that said 0 downloads and uploaded the 10th.
First planet I visited I didn't get to land, just kicked out to desktop. And I found a crashdumpfile in the game folder. You want that or is the game awaiting something?

Now I'm gonna go try again :P

EDIT: Seems to happen with all "terran" worlds. Both radio beacon mission and space wreckage.
Throku
May I take your order?

Postby dagar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:51 pm

Error comes up when boarding ships or being boarded, randomly an enemy may walk through the wall and crash the game, as well as the game crashing whenever I visit a blue and green planet. Found the harpies, and the unbirth of it was a nice touch.
dagar
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby darkevilme » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:58 pm

82A is a liittle broken, and fixes wont be fast coming as the source code for the game is kinda half disassembled to add new features. Apologies, once source code gets feature complete again we'll release a new version and make sure it's more stable.

For those interested we're halfway through unified services and planetary biome support goals. So there's no shop, no way to recruit new crew and we're in the middle of testing new map generation tools. Once the shop and recruitment is back and the new tools are stabilized we'll tackle whatever bugs we've unleashed on our poor unsuspecting fanbase...again.

edit:
Also, send me the crash dump files the game produces when it crashes. It'll make the debugging easier for me. And yes I know the files are truly huge but they're snapshots of the game's state when it died. Without them I can't know what's causing the crashes without debugging at my end and hoping I just happen upon the errors.

edit:
Hotfix for the terran/greenblue/delph planets. The crash is due to a missing definition in a text file. to fix it manually go to data/inventory.txt and scroll down to the concussion rifle (item 109) then scroll down to where it says [DEVICEMODE] and replace the line like so, this:
[DEVICEMODE]
with this
[DEVICEMODE] projectile

This will resolve that particular issue. I have no idea what the hell regarding the walking through walls and such though.
darkevilme
---

Postby InuyashalovesKagome » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:43 am

I'm curious about this game. Is the latest update on page 27 or is that a patch? I'd like to know before downloading anything.
InuyashalovesKagome
Participator

Postby Lawrence Craft » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:49 am

InuyashalovesKagome wrote:I'm curious about this game. Is the latest update on page 27 or is that a patch? I'd like to know before downloading anything.
The last update/patch is on page one, first post (the opening-post of this topic).
001.JPG
I'm bewildered how you actually can miss this obvious things.
Spoiler: show
You should always keep the following sequence in mind:
1. Read carefully
2. UNDERSTAND what is written (that's the most important point!)
3. Follow the instructions you have read AND understand before
4. Play the game and be happy!
Lawrence Craft
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby darkevilme » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:12 am

While I'm gratified at the thought of potentially getting new fans the game isn't in its best state to make a good first impression. I propose people save their curiousity for when the game is a little more stable.
darkevilme
---

Postby InuyashalovesKagome » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:20 am

Lawrence Craft wrote:
InuyashalovesKagome wrote:I'm curious about this game. Is the latest update on page 27 or is that a patch? I'd like to know before downloading anything.
The last update/patch is on page one, first post (the opening-post of this topic).
001.JPG
I'm bewildered how you actually can miss this obvious things.

Well its not that I missed it, more like being confused since there were several mediafire links too.
InuyashalovesKagome
Participator

Re: Space Odyssey Alpha 083

Postby darkevilme » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Bump new version and update on status:
Unfortunately in order to get a job that pays actual money I need to set this project aside to diversify skills and look for employment. However I do have some degree of pride and so I am not immediately going to discontinue the project.

However as of now there is a freeze on new features. The only updates we will be creating for a while are bug fixes and stability patches. So when the game crashes send me the crash dump file it produces. This will continue until the game is stable, at which point I will stop work completely until such a time as I am once again able to put time into this.

I accept I have probably Disillusioned some of my meager fanbase with how unstable the game has been these past few updates. So if I'm gonna shelve this project I say we do it on the right note.
darkevilme
---

Postby Farfanuggen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:03 pm

After hitting 'Depart' when trying to shop or Recruit at the main base, the game closes itself. And you can't really do anything else with the menus. Nothing will work.

Also, loading into a planet will not display where monsters are and monsters will disappear once they move.
Farfanuggen
Participator

Postby darkevilme » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Farfanuggen wrote:After hitting 'Depart' when trying to shop or Recruit at the main base, the game closes itself. And you can't really do anything else with the menus. Nothing will work.

Also, loading into a planet will not display where monsters are and monsters will disappear once they move.

Fixed recruiting.
Can't make sense of what you're saying about the monsters though. The game is like X-com, if enemies go or are where your people can't see them then your people and you...won't see them. This is not like FFT where you're omniscient as far as the battlefield is concerned.
darkevilme
---

Re: Space Odyssey Alpha 083A

Postby Farfanuggen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 am

I've had harpies move in front of me and vanish before they attack and eventually eat one of my crew. I don't know if that was a known bug in the past, but it was in 082A at least.
Farfanuggen
Participator

Postby InuyashalovesKagome » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:17 am

I'm getting an error message when I try the game. I know I have direct x 9 or higher so that can't be it. Do I need to download anything else in order for it to play? Oh and by the way the one I downloaded is the latest version.
InuyashalovesKagome
Participator

Postby darkevilme » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:52 am

'An error message' -.-
See this is why I asked people to send me the crashdump files when the game crashes. The ability to go into specifics of the average person is simply stunning.

and for those who haven't noticed. When the game crashes it should produce a 'crashdump' file in the game folder, send that thing to me however you please (They're pretty large, media fire is a good option) and I will solve the crash.

and now side track over, mr.ILK please tell me.
What does the error message actually SAY?
darkevilme
---

Postby InuyashalovesKagome » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:04 pm

I don't know how to do the copy thing for these messages so I'll type it out. Here it is: "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_43.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem." without the quotation marks of course. Hope that clears it up a bit better.
InuyashalovesKagome
Participator

Postby darkevilme » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:09 pm

So in fact you haven't installed directx 9. Install directx 9.
No directx 10-11 doesn't count. They're not backwards compatible.
Install directx 9. Then play game....tomorrow.
(Has had another error brought to their attention, fix is coming).
darkevilme
---

Postby InuyashalovesKagome » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:03 am

Really? I guess I'll have to look into that.
InuyashalovesKagome
Participator

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game