Vore Roguelike

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Vore Roguelike

Postby unicorn » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:25 am

Ok, this might be a stupid question, but i don't see any executable file in any of the folders in the archive... and none of the file types there are recognized as something my computer can use.
So... which one is the game and what do we need to run it? o.0

EDIT:I guess i should install java since i apparently don't have it, maybe then i will be able to tell what file to use...
unicorn
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Sarethas » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:33 am

Technically speaking, it seems as though it's supposed to run directly from the .jar file, but rather unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get this particular version to work like that. All the instructions I looked up online for attempting to figure this out are a bit more complex than I can handle, or ignore the issue I'm looking at completely. I even attempted a direct run with DOS, but got nothing but errors. Can someone help out on why it isn't running on a standard double click, or provide a dunce-proof solution?
If you bring the drama, I'll bring my squeaky rubber hammer and flail you into submission.
Sarethas
Somewhat familiar

Postby randomthefox » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:14 am

Fuck this game was good. And I say that in that I totally fapped and came to it. I pretty much ran around the starting floor getting eaten and rubbing all the wolves bellys until the entire floor was filled with green Ws. If you wanna make friendly animals party members later, I'd work on potential balance issues for situations like that. Also more pred species and descriptions, but that goes without saying x3
randomthefox
Somewhat familiar

Postby MisterEbony » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:05 am

A couple ideas you may want to consider:

1.) Why not include a predatory polymorphing, like you get an item and become a mknster. Happened in my lasf Nethck game, when my character turned into a troll and ate the entire population of the gnomish mines (mmmmmmmmm.... gnomy!)

2.) Would gou consider adding food transfoemations? Similar to the polymorph, but if you get eaten that's it, tour finished!

3.) If you find a way to include Pakkun Lizards (P~~), do it! I know they would work!
Voraphile, Furry, Brony, and Gamer.

Shall we play a game?
MisterEbony
???

Postby gulpin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:45 am

Can we save our progress in the game or do we have to start over each time we play?
gulpin
Somewhat familiar

Postby Avant » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:59 am

gulpin wrote:Can we save our progress in the game or do we have to start over each time we play?

The point in a Roguehack is you have one life and that's it. Although I guess a save option could be added so you can save and quite to continue later.
Avant
Participator

Postby gulpin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:09 am

Avant wrote:
gulpin wrote:Can we save our progress in the game or do we have to start over each time we play?

The point in a Roguehack is you have one life and that's it. Although I guess a save option could be added so you can save and quite to continue later.

Oh ok this is my first time hearing of a Rogue game
gulpin
Somewhat familiar

Postby gatess » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:06 am

Oh wow, this is a lot more feedback than I had expected, haha. Will try to address what I can.

NocturneWolf wrote:
yoyox wrote:there seem to be an bug it seem to make my window flash and unable to play (wont let me press any keys)

I think that bug has to do with clicking the screen. At the moment, that crashes the game, but otherwise it works alright, so just don't click the screen. ;3

I believe this *should* have been fixed in the last version I posted last night. Can no longer replicate the bug on my side, at least.

empatheticapathy wrote:I like it. I always wanted to see a vore roguelike (in fact, I have a whole folder full of plans if I were to ever make one. Interestingly enough, one of those plans was to allow the player to pacify enemies by allowing themselves to be eaten.). That said, I do have a small amount of issues.
1. Enemies have very poor pathfinding. If one of them sees you, it will run directly for you, even if there's a wall in the way.
2. The whole thing's too damned easy. I literally run into any red letter I see until either it's dead, or it eats me. And I prefer it eats me, because it seems I can ALWAYS rub enough to pacify it before being digested, meaning EVERY enemy who tries to eat me becomes a source of health rather than a threat. Combined with the fact that doing so yields EXP (and don't get me wrong, that's a GOOD thing), means I can breeze through the entire game no problem.
From a voraphile standpoint, this is fine. From the standpoint of a player of a game, this is unsatisfying.
3. I was UBed by a wolf, and got messages about her massaging her gut.
4. I would really appreciate the game-over messages differing based on how the player dies.

I really do hope this goes somewhere though. This is something I was excited to see/download/play, and would hate for it to fall by the wayside.

Avant wrote:
madcommanderfox wrote:will there be any graphics other than letters

Never played a Roguelike before? It's all ASCII.

MisterEbony wrote:
madcommanderfox wrote:will there be any graphics other than letters

Rougelikes generally use letters for the graphics to save dats space. Has been that way since the first ones and still is today.

Not always true. There's a variant of Dungeon Crawl which has sprites. Elona and Desktop Dungeons seem to ONLY have graphical modes, with no ascii option whatsoever. I'm sure there's more.

1. Yeah, I do admit, pathfinding is poor right now. Right now enemies just want to get as close to you as possible. I was holding off proper pathfinding until after I implement a proper line-of-sight check, so that enemies wouldn't intelligently surround you via x-ray vision.
2. Balancing was not too much of a concern for this initial version (was more of a tech demo), but I can tell you my thought processes behind these. I plan to make later game enemies extremely difficult to befriend, and almost impossible to kill one-on-one. The intent is that you utilize befriended enemies to heal yourself and to damage tough enemies. I do, however, agree that recruiting is a bit too easy now. I think I will make it so that you can't get above either a 50% or 75% success rate. Right now, all starting enemies have base wisdom, so any stat roll of wisdom above 14 is currently guaranteed to befriend (which does make it a bit too easy early game). All of this is irrelevant as of now though, because friendly units have no AI as of yet.
3. Probably made a typo somewhere; am constantly looking for these. Will get it fixed.
4. More messages will be added to literally everything. In this version, I think I had only written two different death dialogues, and only a few dialogs for each form of vore.

Ranger wrote:This is actually a really fun idea! I'd never played a Roguelike game before (Or knew what they were, for that matter), but being a big fan of dice rolling games, this really appeals to me :3

Would you consider going further with this, for instance making it more visual like the Doom Roguelike game with sprites and such, if you had a bit of artistic help~?

Potentially yes. I honestly have never worked with graphics before, so can't make any promises. Even getting a basic text representation that looked good was a bit difficult for me, but now that the rendering system is in place, I should theoretically be able to swap to image-based graphics without too many issues. The only problem being, I am planning on adding a lot of enemies to the game. Currently it takes me about 2-4 minutes to fully create an enemy and have it randomly generated in the map. Adding graphics for each will obviously make it a bit harder to add more.

Jit wrote:M for masturbate should happen normally if you hit 100 lust while inside something, down in the lower-right corner where the controls are. So it might just be a bug for that specific circumstance, if anything.

Anyway, this is a fun little thing for what it's got so far. As far as playing, I agree with what people said before about how it can get a little too easy once you've gone up a level and gotten some equipment, and for the future, some things like specific death text for the various vore types would be cool, also generally more content too, but it seems like you've laid pretty good groundwork for it all. In terms of balance, something that should probably be tweaked is the enemy befriending, because it can be quite easy to just go from belly to belly and heal up, if your wisdom score is high enough. And it seems like rubbing will heal you at times, even if the enemy isn't friendly (possibly a bug?). A possible tweak to the rubbing system could be that getting the enemy to 100 lust will make it harder for you to escape instead of making them friendly, like the stomach tightens up around you? Or at least, that unsuccessful attempts to befriend them would make it harder for you to escape/make digestion damage greater.

As a sidenote, I'd love modding potential in the future so we could possibly add our own enemies or boss monsters.

Modding is something I honestly have no clue about. Currently the game is run entirely from what is directly coded into classes and such. I could probably get the game to read textfiles for monsters and such (if people want to add their own), but this is yet another thing I am not sure of how to do. Would need to do some research first before any modding possibilities.

MisterEbony wrote:A couple ideas you may want to consider:

1.) Why not include a predatory polymorphing, like you get an item and become a mknster. Happened in my lasf Nethck game, when my character turned into a troll and ate the entire population of the gnomish mines (mmmmmmmmm.... gnomy!)

2.) Would gou consider adding food transfoemations? Similar to the polymorph, but if you get eaten that's it, tour finished!

3.) If you find a way to include Pakkun Lizards (P~~), do it! I know they would work!

All maybes. As of yet, no consumables have been added to the game, so I could probably include transformation items.

Again, yet another thing I don't quite know how to do. As of now, the game only has 10 floors, so it is intended to be short enough to play through in one sitting. But I will see what can be done here. For now though, this won't be a priority for me.
gatess
New to the forum

Postby sansuki » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:13 am

Interesting little alpha for a game. Amusing that bears only showed up (for me) on the second level and it was nothing but young wolves all the way down after that, though! And of course the difficulty unbalancing others have mentioned; it took me five tries to get digested last night when I tested that. Modding support would be ultra-keen.

Gatess, have you seen Bitter's ongoing development effort for Tales of the Mystic Wild? He's also developing a vore roguelike from scratch, but is taking a different approach than you and has put in an exceptional amount of work detailing the architecture as he codes it, making it as customizable/moddable as is reasonably possible, etc etc. It's in what I'd call an early alpha stage, in that the game and world editor exist with a number of features but isn't playable as a game yet. He's nine months into work. No thread for it, but you can take a look through some of his development blogs blog/Bitter/ (ToMW week ## are the ones you want). Might be handy to get a different perspective on the same issues.
sansuki
---

Postby ZodiacShadow » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:22 am

sansuki wrote:Interesting little alpha for a game. Amusing that bears only showed up (for me) on the second level and it was nothing but young wolves all the way down after that, though!

Same here. Is that intentional?

Also, there were no items on any of the later floors. Just lots of wolves and two staircases - one in either direction.
ZodiacShadow
New to the forum

Postby gatess » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:59 am

ZodiacShadow wrote:
sansuki wrote:Interesting little alpha for a game. Amusing that bears only showed up (for me) on the second level and it was nothing but young wolves all the way down after that, though!

Same here. Is that intentional?

Also, there were no items on any of the later floors. Just lots of wolves and two staircases - one in either direction.

Yeah, this was intentional. All floors will have the greatest chance to spawn an enemy of the floor's level, with a slightly lesser chance of spawning enemies from the floor below.

As of now, there is only a level 1 and a level 2 monster in existence, so I populated all of the later floors with simple level 1 enemies, so that there wouldn't be 8 completely barren floors.
gatess
New to the forum

Postby NocturneWolf » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:50 am

gatess wrote:Balancing was not too much of a concern for this initial version (was more of a tech demo), but I can tell you my thought processes behind these. I plan to make later game enemies extremely difficult to befriend, and almost impossible to kill one-on-one. The intent is that you utilize befriended enemies to heal yourself and to damage tough enemies. I do, however, agree that recruiting is a bit too easy now. I think I will make it so that you can't get above either a 50% or 75% success rate. Right now, all starting enemies have base wisdom, so any stat roll of wisdom above 14 is currently guaranteed to befriend (which does make it a bit too easy early game). All of this is irrelevant as of now though, because friendly units have no AI as of yet.

Ah, I figured that was the case. It's good to know you do plan on making things a bit more difficult later on, since I mirrored some of the concerns on the game being too easy. A cap on the success rate could definitely help, and another thought I had was limiting the amount of health you could regain within enemies you haven't befriended yet. Perhaps bumping the heal rate down to 25%, raising digestion damage, or making it so you can't recover health while masturbating? It might also be worth trying to reduce how much lust a rub action can build up, just so you need to spend more turns digesting before bringing the pred to 100 lust.

Speaking of lust, another thing I noticed was how easy it was to survive specifically a UB or CV scenario, and I think that's also linked to the values you allocated to them. 15 lust per turn inside those parts is quite a bit, and like I said before less of a lust buildup would mean more time digesting. Then again though, I suppose it does make sense in context hehe, I just figured it might be worth scaling the figures back a bit.

Last two cents from me, and this is more of an idea than anything: think it might me fun to have the preds interact with each other, rather than acting fully independently of one another? It seems like it could lead to some interesting scenarios (both gameplay and vore/kink wise hehe) all things considered, but I do know the AI for that will likely be pretty complicated. Still, just an idea I figured I'd throw out there.

Whatever you do, I'm looking forward to the additions you're going to add, in the way of content and new mechanics. I can imagine other animals being used definitely, maybe even ones that specialize in certain vores above others. For something this simple, it's been quite fun for me so far, and I'm definitely looking forward to more from this idea!
Last edited by NocturneWolf on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
NocturneWolf
Participator

Postby Shadowlyger » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:52 am

Jit wrote:M for masturbate should happen normally if you hit 100 lust while inside something, down in the lower-right corner where the controls are. So it might just be a bug for that specific circumstance, if anything.

Huh. I never saw the prompt show up at any point when I hit 100 lust inside anything. *Shrug*
Shadowlyger
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby KTA » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:58 pm

This is cool. :) I kept meaning to write a rogue like before various feature creeps set in and my general inability to stay on one project for long.

Don't know if you want any help on line of sight or path finding but the offer is there just in case! At the least I might be able to provide nudges in the right direction and half the trick with programming problems is working out the appropriate term to search on.
KTA
New to the forum

Postby Firon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:01 pm

I'm a bit disappointed with the unbirth side of this game......unbirth doesn't end at the vagina...that's insertion

unbirth goes all the way back to the womb.....that's why it's called unbirth

I do hope to see that changed in the future development
Firon
---

Postby Ranger » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:25 pm

After playing through this and testing out a few elements, I've got a couple suggestions~

- Maybe make a handful of different posts for when the player is devoured/inside an enemy. For instance, right now it seems like you're using the same generic sentence for each enemy ("<Enemy> lunges at you with their gaping maw"). Perhaps make a handful of different posts for the same thing, and have the game pick a random one when that event occurs? It would help add some variety to the game :3

- In regards to the first suggestion, perhaps each enemy could have their own handful of different posts specific to that species, since not every animal will attack the player the same way. For instance, the Wolf could lunge, whilst a Snake would coil and constrict, or a Dragon would be large enough to just scoop the player up.

- Maybe make the chance of befriending an enemy much lower, and also don't grant any Exp bonus for doing so? I found that if the player were to just keep re-rolling until they had high Health, they could just purposefully get eaten by an enemy and spam U until the enemy was befriended. Not only does that then give them a way of healing rapidly, but it also seems to grant the same (If not more) Exp than killing that same enemy. I'd suggest maybe making the chance only 10% or lower, especially if befriended enemies will be helpers later on (Would be a bit overkill to have an army of Wolves with you)
EDIT: Perhaps also reversing the "heal" when making an enemy reach 100 Lust (AKA The player takes more damage instead of being healed)? That would make it a lot more of a risk to befriend an enemy, since you'd lose most of your health attempting so.

That's all for now, hope this helps!

EDIT (again): Would you also happen to be willing to release the source code for this as well? It would allow some of the others here with scripting experience help you get things working as well, since I've noticed you've mentioned you're not sure on how to get certain elements working :3
Ranger
---

Postby Skeiron » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Lol the poor creator is being flooded with tons feedback and suggestions.
The alpha is fun. From what I can tell you look like you know what you're doing, so I'd say keep up the good work ! :)
"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"Remember that life is better than it seems"
Skeiron
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby empatheticapathy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Suppose that if a player's lust hits 100 while inside of a hostile enemy, they begin taking double damage. Combined with the stun, it's a steep penalty I know, but if lust were to fall steadily while outside of stomachs/whatever, then this would only come into play if the player either really screwed up, or abused the mechanic.
Last edited by empatheticapathy on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
empatheticapathy
---

Postby USful » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Can't seem to run it, idk what exactly to do, i downloaded the zip and extracted it... What next?
A bit of a novice when it comes to "new" things online....
USful
Somewhat familiar

Postby Pachirisu_And_Asmodeus » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:31 am

This is truly a fun game. A suggestion I have though is to make escaping from being eaten a bit harder. I love the fact that you can pick which gender you want to be, and the naming option also allows you to pick a name and imagine yourself as the species that yopu want to be.

If you're taking suggestions for the species of more monsters, I'd suggest foxes, snakes, and otters.
A link to a fun game I love playing: http://www.blankmediagames.com/TownOfSalem/

Be sure to say that ParaYumi refered you when you register for it. That's me.
Pachirisu_And_Asmodeus
???

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game