Open Vore Rogue Like R4a

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Open Vore Rogue Like R4a

Postby darkevilme » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:39 pm

This is OVRL, the open vore roguelike (or possibly the other vore roguelike, Gatess after all did get there first). This is a prey orientated roguelike that was made originally in one week partly as competition to see if I could make something as good or better than what Gatess made and partly to challenge myself but has since become rather more than that as I don't know how to put projects down when you lot are paying attention to them.

Anyway have at the game.
Explore a dungeon, grab weapons, fight monsters, level up, get eaten.

how to start the game:
Run the run.bat. do not click OVRL.jar. This will do nothing, except make it angry. You wouldn't like it when it's angry.

Controls:
movement= arrows or numpad
attacking=move toward enemy
ascend and descend stairs= + and - (had some trouble detecting the < and > keys) also page up and page down now
open/close inventory= i
pickup item=k
move inventory cursor= up and down arrows
squirm=numpad 5 key
rest=r
equip item(in inventory mode)=e
drop item(in inventory mode)=d

link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?78bp2d44fgqg0

This was originally a one week project. I'm still working on it after the one week has expired though. So huzzah for recreational programming.

update r2:
Two new enemies (thanks to vorishartist for one of them), new game mechanics, balance tweaks on existing mechanics, more enemy customization.

update r3:
This might work. I'm just putting it out cause I'm wanting to move on to other projects.

Update r4:
This is a possibly unstable version of R4. monsters courtesy of Vorishartist and NAC.

Update r4a:
Fix for R4
Last edited by darkevilme on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
darkevilme
---

Re: Open Vore Rogue Like

Postby Challace » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Not bad for just a week. Fully functioning template for a top-down rogue-like.
Challace
Been posting for a bit

Postby lily1990 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:12 pm

cant seem to get it to run
lily1990
New to the forum

Postby Jit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:35 pm

----------
Last edited by Jit on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jit
Somewhat familiar

Postby darkevilme » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:48 pm

and i'm not sure what to tell you. All I can say is I hope you clicked run.bat in an unzipped OVRL folder(not ovrl source)

If it still doesn't work I dunno. The jar definitely contains the core.game class, i double checked, and it works fine over here.

Debugging Java is not in my skill set I only started using it a week ago. That's part of why I went and included the source code so folks more java minded than me can advise.
darkevilme
---

Postby lily1990 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:57 pm

i did try the run.bat but it just flicked up for a moment then closed
lily1990
New to the forum

Postby AngelFox » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:01 am

afraid it's not running for me, not the jar or the bat. o.o
AngelFox
Been posting for a bit

Postby darkevilme » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:54 am

I got nothing. Run it from cmd.exe and report what errors it's spitting back by moving to the directory of the game (not gonna tell you how to do this, google command line) and then entering the command: 'Java -jar OVRL.jar'
darkevilme
---

Postby Houyo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:11 am

Well, it's neat. Though... Being reduced to 0 health seems to do nothing. But other than that it's pretty cool.

XP Though I'm feeling the pain of two rogue likes being released that are both prey oriented. Where's the love?

Ah, I'm just complaining. Still, nice work on this. It's still pretty fun, and the little graphics are cool too.
Houyo
???

Postby Houyo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:14 am

Huh. It seems you have to be reduced to like -6 or something to get a game over.
Houyo
???

Postby lily1990 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:18 am

all it says it that it cant find the core.class
lily1990
New to the forum

Postby darkevilme » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:29 am

Houyo, and the game is open source. someone is bound to implement predator options if you jab them in the side enough... and yes, dying is only by being reduced to below -5 by digestion (it used to be -10, but that took too long so i cut it..though now it seems rather arbitrary).

And as for can't find the core class...yeah, i got nothing. Unless you're on linux or something, in which case you'll need the lwjgl natives for things that aren't windows.
darkevilme
---

Postby Jit » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:35 am

----------
Jit
Somewhat familiar

Postby NocturneWolf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:52 am

Hrm... I'm running the game on Windows 7, and just by going into the folder and launching run.bat by double-clicking it, I got it to work fine. Perhaps it's not necessary to run it off the command line, but otherwise... I guess I can't be much help. :/ Both the standalone game and the source files are running well enough for me, but I'll see if I can't decipher what else might be going on.

As for the game itself... I like it hehe. It's a fun little game, much like the other Roguelike that was made a few weeks ago. I also greatly appreciate the release of the source code, it's already tempted me to tinker around with it a bit. I think I understand it alright, but I did want to ask about one thing. In the monsterlist.txt file, I know the first string in the line is the path to the enemy file, but what do the 0 and 10 following it mean?

Anyway, nice job on another entertaining game hehe.
NocturneWolf
Participator

Postby darkevilme » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:56 am

0 10 is the levels. goblins have to be present on all levels of the game or it crashes when it tries to populate the lower levels.

so if you had the monsterlist saying say:
data/goblin.txt 0 3
data/naga.txt 3 6
data/demon.txt 6 9
then you'd have goblins on lvls 0-3, naga on 3-6 and demons on 6-9.
darkevilme
---

Postby NocturneWolf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:57 am

Ah, sweet. Thanks mate hehe. *gets to tinkering*
NocturneWolf
Participator

Postby Jit » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:02 am

----------
Jit
Somewhat familiar

Postby Houyo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:54 am

Woah. I had no idea changing stuff in game would be so easy. XD So can I just change the text in the data section and that will change the in game text?
Houyo
???

Postby empatheticapathy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:57 am

Ran the game just fine. Unfortunately, I have encountered a number of bugs:
1. Your name is displayed in game as 'hero', not whatever you typed at startup.
2. I cannot seem to up or down stairs.
3. You die twice when digested. Once at -5, and again once you go past -5.

These are not exactly bugs, but still grievances:
1. The game can apparently only have one type on enemy on a given floor.
2. The lack of documentation makes it difficult to do things as a modder, and may cause problems for players down the road. For example, I have no idea how to make equipment; I have no idea what determines XP gain from kills; How exactly are attack and damage rolls calculated?

Also, I made a monster. Nothing big (or effort-intensive), just a female version of the goblin. She can soft vore and breast vore (I used breast vore mostly because it would've felt lazy to reuse the 'big belly' sprite for a unbirth/anal vore sequence, and the form for monsters seems to call for exactly two kinds of vore).
Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?hiaycm2gic71e43
To install, copy the images to the 'art' folder, and the text documents to the 'data' folder. Overwrite 'monsterlist.txt' when prompted.
empatheticapathy
---

Postby NocturneWolf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:09 am

empatheticapathy wrote:1. The game can apparently only have one type on enemy on a given floor.

Ahhh.... that explains a lot about why I was having trouble modding. I was trying to add a few more level 0-10 monsters, but kept only getting goblins. It got to the point where I was getting the game materials myself to see if I could fix the code a bit. Ah well, glad to know what's going on at least.
NocturneWolf
Participator

Next

Return to Vore game