Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.20.2]

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.18.0]

Postby betacygni » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:24 pm

Myconid32 wrote:There are some minor bug fixes, as mentioned by you guys. However, I was not able to reproduce the "post-level 12 weapon bug" described by betacygni. If someone can get this consistently, maybe with a specific weapon or enemy, I would appreciate the info.

Here's some more info from a run I'm doing now. It seems very consistent on my end, but the best bugs are of course the ones that are difficult to reproduce for anyone else...

Equipped with a +3 mace, ate a standard trogg on level 12. Just after finishing digesting it, I went into combat with an anaconda, missed six times in a row, and got eaten. Interestingly, this time I drank a life potion inside the anaconda and immediately was able to hit it from the inside.

Same run, a few minutes later:

I ate a standard trogg on level 14. After fully digesting them, I went to hit another trogg and it popped up the "how will you devour your prey" menu, despite not pressing the V button again.

Immediately after eating that trogg and fully digesting them, I went into combat with a trogg chieftain. I did not use any inventory items. It did not pop up the vore menu this time, it just kept on missing (>15 times in a row) before I gave up, used an inventory item (potion of telepathy), and then instantly killed them with one mace hit as I would normally do.

So, my dumbass speculation is that it's not properly switching back to "combat mode" after eating someone. "You missed the [X]" was misleading because it's the same message as if you fail to eat someone as it is when you fail to hit someone. Using an inventory item or switching weapons will get you out of the "vore mode" and back into "combat mode". So maybe the issue is that I can't hit anyone with a weapon because it's trying to eat them, and it's not succeeding at doing so?

I'm not sure how you play, but I tend to move and attack with the mouse. This problem does not seem to occur if I attack by moving with the arrow keys.

(edit: Oh dear. Remember not to have a predator ally following you when you encounter the golem, they'll eat it before you even get a chance to activate them...)
betacygni
Somewhat familiar

Re: Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.19.1]

Postby Samar » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:33 am

Playing 19.1 I encountered a couple bugs.

First was when my cursed mace got knocked out of my hand by a slime (think it was sea sludge) so I didnt need to enchant it or neutralise it to get rid off it. Having cursed weapons be impossible to drop did seem like an interesting tactical choice; sacrifice some damage in order to never loose your weapon. A strat which worked quite well except for that minor hickup with the slime.

Second I have in the attached save an instant crash whenever I go downstairs. I dont know why it happened and the game was played without any suspensions up to that point. The save got created when the game crashed the first time.

Otherwise these updates have been great, not due to a bunch of new monsters. But because more mechanical depth is great fun.
Attachments
Saved game.zip
For v. 19.1
(6.4 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Samar
Been posting for a bit

Postby Myconid32 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:48 pm

Properly updated the thread title and download link with the correct version.
betacygni wrote:I'm not sure how you play, but I tend to move and attack with the mouse. This problem does not seem to occur if I attack by moving with the arrow keys.

(edit: Oh dear. Remember not to have a predator ally following you when you encounter the golem, they'll eat it before you even get a chance to activate them...)

Found it! The mouse click turned out to be the important part. I do play with keys, mostly because Debug mode allows you to teleport around if you click. It turns out that clicking prevents a "Player Devouring" flag from properly registering, and you miss more often while trying to swallow an undamaged enemy. It should be fixed for the next version. Also, predators will no longer be able to eat an inactive golem.

050591 wrote:Playing 19.1 I encountered a couple bugs.

First was when my cursed mace got knocked out of my hand by a slime (think it was sea sludge) so I didnt need to enchant it or neutralise it to get rid off it. Having cursed weapons be impossible to drop did seem like an interesting tactical choice; sacrifice some damage in order to never loose your weapon. A strat which worked quite well except for that minor hickup with the slime.

Second I have in the attached save an instant crash whenever I go downstairs. I dont know why it happened and the game was played without any suspensions up to that point. The save got created when the game crashed the first time.

Otherwise these updates have been great, not due to a bunch of new monsters. But because more mechanical depth is great fun.

Thanks for the save, but unfortunately the way saves are created means they can only run properly on the computer that generated them. Loading your save on my machine creates a different dungeon, so I can't use them for testing.

Cursed weapons shouldn't leave your hand when you are swallowed, so I'm not sure why the slime was able to do that. Did it happen while it was swallowing you, or did it disarm you some other way?
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Re: Vrogue: Vore Mod for Brogue (M/M) [Alpha Version 0.19.2]

Postby jeveasy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:01 pm

Man playing on random mode is a trip, Level 1 a Kraken, Level 2 the Minotaur.
jeveasy
Been posting for a bit

Postby Samar » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:07 am

Myconid32 wrote:Thanks for the save, but unfortunately the way saves are created means they can only run properly on the computer that generated them. Loading your save on my machine creates a different dungeon, so I can't use them for testing.

Cursed weapons shouldn't leave your hand when you are swallowed, so I'm not sure why the slime was able to do that. Did it happen while it was swallowing you, or did it disarm you some other way?

I am afraid I don't know for certain. As I didnt notice until a few kills later that my damage was suspiciously low. But I think the slime paralysed me before it ate me.
Samar
Been posting for a bit

Postby Salanth » Mon May 11, 2020 9:50 am

Oh yeah, one bug I have seen but didn't consider reporting; after you are eaten, if you enter your inventory whilst you are eaten, it will automatically open up the description of whatever item you got selected after a few seconds. I guess this has something to do with turns automatically passing after you are eaten?
Salanth
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Myconid32 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:39 pm

That1guy wrote:Oh yeah, one bug I have seen but didn't consider reporting; after you are eaten, if you enter your inventory whilst you are eaten, it will automatically open up the description of whatever item you got selected after a few seconds. I guess this has something to do with turns automatically passing after you are eaten?

Sounds reasonable. I will try to keep the game from auto-advancing while the inventory is open.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Myconid32 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:42 pm

News update for those who have noticed the drop in activity: I've returned to work after being closed due to the pandemic, so I've had less time to code. It's a customer service position, too, so I'm hoping we work out a solution to all of this soon... wish me luck!
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby betacygni » Sun May 24, 2020 11:02 pm

Myconid32 wrote:News update for those who have noticed the drop in activity: I've returned to work after being closed due to the pandemic, so I've had less time to code. It's a customer service position, too, so I'm hoping we work out a solution to all of this soon... wish me luck!

Hope you stay healthy and safe!
betacygni
Somewhat familiar

Postby Chiaroscuro » Thu May 28, 2020 3:42 am

It would probably be too much work, what with how busy you are already, but I was thinking it might be interesting if the willing vore text changed slightly if you offered yourself to an ally. Similarly the digestion text might change if you were willing, and remained willing the entire time - given that some of the digestion text suggests that you've been struggling.

(Also, I have since found a few more potential unintended affects with the Minotaur. The Minotaur can make you offer yourself to other enemies beside them, and it seems that they can't make you disrobe if you have protection on your armor, which may be intended but still feels wrong to me. Also, even with the mindfog obscuring the exit, you can just use the > key to just go down even when it's not visibly there.)
Chiaroscuro
Participator

Postby betacygni » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:22 am

Heya, wanted to throw some thoughts out there on game balance.

The usual caveats apply: I'm not a game dev, this is just one person's opinions, this might be a function of my playstyle being different, etc.

So, first- although I love it to death, the mace is ridiculously overpowered in the early game. A couple other weapons do more damage, but the mace doesn't have nearly the same disadvantages. Even if you pick it up on level 1 with no strength potions, it hits so damn hard that the mild loss in accuracy is barely an issue.
If the game didn't have a penchant for crashing I'd probably say >70% of the runs where I pick up the mace early in the game will end in a victory...because I can just wander around picking up items and generally powering up like Goku, killing every monster in the game in three or fewer hits.

So, that being said, keep in mind that a lot of my runs where I reach the deeper parts of the dungeon are using a mace, and this next criticism might not be entirely valid:

The difficulty curve seems a bit...weird. I definitely have the most trouble in the early game. I'd say the majority of my deaths occur between levels 1 and 2, and 5 and 6. I tend to get swarmed by geckos on level 1 or 2, and goblins on 5 or 6 tend to be a pain in the butt. But most of the time, when I get past levels 7-9, I'm upgraded/loaded out enough that I don't really struggle that much with anything beyond that, and almost never die past level 12. I'm not sure if the difficulty curve is genuinely a little skewed, or if it's selection bias at play here- I've played a lot more of the early game than the late game, because I die early and restart a lot!

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
betacygni
Somewhat familiar

Postby Benevorlent » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:53 am

Heyo! Thought I'd check in to see how everything's going. Gotten used to the customer service position?
Benevorlent
Somewhat familiar

Postby Myconid32 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:34 pm

Hello, just want to confirm that I am not dead. Not much progress has been made due to a lack of free time, sadly. Also, to clarify, I am well-used to my job already; it is just more stressful now with all of the health safety measures in place and the knowledge that I am at high risk for complications. With any luck, things will slow down soon and get less scary and I can continue updating. Sorry for the wait!
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby coconutdream » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:30 am

Myconid32 wrote:Hello, just want to confirm that I am not dead. Not much progress has been made due to a lack of free time, sadly. Also, to clarify, I am well-used to my job already; it is just more stressful now with all of the health safety measures in place and the knowledge that I am at high risk for complications. With any luck, things will slow down soon and get less scary and I can continue updating. Sorry for the wait!

I feel you there. I haven't had much time at all to do my own stuff, so don't stress yourself out about this project! Especially because of what you have to deal with during this time. I'm sure the people following this project want you to be healthy and okay rather than at risk and stressed!! I often have to remind myself to not catastrophize situations, otherwise I just end up getting two stressed to work on that project. Instead, I try to get to a calm, stable state and have a lot more self-compassion so that I can be in the state to want to work on my personal projects.

tl;dr
Make sure you aren't stressing yourself out about this project; work on it when you want to. Also, make sure you rest! Be more self-compassionate. By that I don't mean toxic positivity where everything's rainbows and lolipops; just that you should, in your inner monologue, give yourself grace and understanding - especially during this time!

I really enjoy your work, and as a creator myself I want you to feel better when you work on your project rather than it stressing you out due to perceived or real expectations <3 Make sure you're taking care of yourself!!
coconutdream
New to the forum

Postby Jareix » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:21 am

Myconid32 wrote:Hello, just want to confirm that I am not dead. Not much progress has been made due to a lack of free time, sadly. Also, to clarify, I am well-used to my job already; it is just more stressful now with all of the health safety measures in place and the knowledge that I am at high risk for complications. With any luck, things will slow down soon and get less scary and I can continue updating. Sorry for the wait!

Best of luck mate, hopefully everything winds down soon enough so you can focus more on yourself rather than safety!
Jareix
New to the forum

Postby jeveasy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:05 pm

Had a crash
Unhandled exception at 0x0040DCC7 in vrogue.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x000000B7

The last thing I did was press Z to wait
jeveasy
Been posting for a bit

Postby Duke The Wolf » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:26 am

Yo, I've got a game breaking bug to report.

For enemies such as the Kraken and the Darkbloom, who can constrain you from a distance, if you cannot see them (whether because the spot they're in is too dark, or you managed to get around a corner at the same time as them grabbing you), you get stuck forever. The game constantly gives you the message that you can't move because something has your legs.

The only way out of this is to drink a potion of descent, as far as I can tell.
Duke The Wolf
Somewhat familiar

Postby bobthemailman21 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:03 am

Duke The Wolf wrote:Yo, I've got a game breaking bug to report.

For enemies such as the Kraken and the Darkbloom, who can constrain you from a distance, if you cannot see them (whether because the spot they're in is too dark, or you managed to get around a corner at the same time as them grabbing you), you get stuck forever. The game constantly gives you the message that you can't move because something has your legs.

The only way out of this is to drink a potion of descent, as far as I can tell.

I can't find any mentions of this in the regular Brogue game, but I'm guessing this is a bug from the base game and not part of the mod. You could try asking around on the Brogue subreddit and see if you find anything similar there.
bobthemailman21
Been posting for a bit

Postby Myconid32 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:02 am

bobthemailman21 wrote:I can't find any mentions of this in the regular Brogue game, but I'm guessing this is a bug from the base game and not part of the mod. You could try asking around on the Brogue subreddit and see if you find anything similar there.

*crawls out from under rock*
No, those enemies use my own recent code so it is likely my fault. I will try to get it fixed.
Myconid32
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Zavvnao » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:12 pm

are there any lizardmen in the game? I have not played in awhile, and have forgotten ^^
Zavvnao
Advanced Vorarephile

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game