Vorelike (formerly VDOS)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Vorelike (formerly VDOS)

Postby jokerert1 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:53 pm

NSW wrote:The newer web browsers block loading local files for security reasons. If you want to play or tinker with this game, see my post above on how to setup NW.js.

Here is also a link to it:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=35593&start=440#p2831783

It worked, thank you. :)
jokerert1
Been posting for a bit

Postby Maexam2 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:15 pm

*sigh* I'm at a loss here. I already tries Chrome, IE AND Firefox, but nothing seems to work.
Maexam2
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Stringcheese124 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:33 pm

NSW wrote:I was browsing my old posts and noticed the last few posts here. I'll post this here in case anyone comes across this thread and would still like to play or tinker with this game.

The best option i've found to run javascript games/content is NW.js (nwjs.io). This is a standalone version of the Chrome browser built specifically to run local apps written with Javascript and Node.js. You don't have to install anything, just unzip it to a folder and add in the content you want to run. It works with Vorelike just fine and you don't have to install and maintain old browsers. Its also available on multiple platforms.

1.) Download NW.js (Normal) from nwjs.io and extract it to a folder of your choosing.

2.) Download and extract Vorelike (or move a copy you already have) into its own folder inside the NW.js folder you made above.

On Windows, you should have a folder structure something like this:
Code: Select all
locales
swiftshader
vorelike     <--- The folder containing Vorelike.
d3dcompiler_47.dll
ffmpeg.dll
libEGL.dll
libGLESv2.dll
node.dll
nw.dll
nw._elf.dll
notification_helper.exe
nw.exe
credits.html
icudtl.dat
package.json     <--- A file you will create below.
nw_100_percent.pak
nw_200_percent.pak
resources.pak
v8_context_snapshot.bin

3.) Now you just need to create a "package.json" file to point NW.js to vorelike when its launched. This is just a simple text file containing the following:
Code: Select all
{
   "name": "Vorelike",
   "main": "./vorelike/index.html"
}

That's it! Just run the executable called nw (nw.exe if you have file extensions visible) and a new window will pop up with Vorelike loaded and running. If Windows 10 complains about running an untrusted/unrecognized app, simply click the "More info" text and you'll get a "Run anyway" button to override it.

You can use this same method to run other javascript games or content locally on your system. You can also reuse the same NW.js folder with other games or apps, just give each game or app its own folder and update package.json to point to the one you want to run.

Hopefully this is helpful.

I've put vorelike into the NW folder and made the package.json file, but it keeps loading the northwest compass instead of the game.
Any Idea on how to fix it?
Stringcheese124
New to the forum

Postby GrayGuy » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:26 pm

I've tried running this on all available browsers but the moment I go past the opening menu it tells me that it can't loud Defaultitems.txt
GrayGuy
New to the forum

Postby Jasper » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:39 pm

So, using NWjs, I've managed to get things working, but none of the modded creatures seem to be enabled, so far it's only Wolf, Rat, Succubus, and some sorta witch?
Jasper
Been posting for a bit

Postby Crazyman536 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:34 am

Jasper wrote:So, using NWjs, I've managed to get things working, but none of the modded creatures seem to be enabled, so far it's only Wolf, Rat, Succubus, and some sorta witch?

Just to make sure, did you add the enemies to the "defaultitems" file? the bottom of the file has the setup you need to use to add the enemies in to the game.
Crazyman536
Somewhat familiar

Postby Playfulpetfox » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:12 pm

"* Unzip the contents to a folder on your hard drive.
* Open the index.html file in your favorite browser (I test extensively on Firefox).
* Play."

This may be the most inaccurate set of instructions I have ever seen. It doesn't even work on Firefox, at least not without fiddling with settings. Sure, you get a different error on firefox, but still an error nonetheless. Rather than failing to load the items file, you get "NetworkError: A network error occurred."
Playfulpetfox
New to the forum

Postby Jasper » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:22 am

Crazyman536 wrote:
Jasper wrote:So, using NWjs, I've managed to get things working, but none of the modded creatures seem to be enabled, so far it's only Wolf, Rat, Succubus, and some sorta witch?

Just to make sure, did you add the enemies to the "defaultitems" file? the bottom of the file has the setup you need to use to add the enemies in to the game.

Where even is this defaultitems file?
Jasper
Been posting for a bit

Postby SquishySofty » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:35 am

Jasper wrote:Where even is this defaultitems file?

It's inside of the Mods folder. :-D
Not feeling so well, don't expect much of me...
SquishySofty
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Jasper » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:10 pm

SquishySofty wrote:
Jasper wrote:Where even is this defaultitems file?

It's inside of the Mods folder. :-D

That is frustratingly difficult to spot hidden among all the other text files
Jasper
Been posting for a bit

Postby bombbom » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:43 pm

This game and concept is basically exactly what I've always wanted, a kind of mixture of Coin-Diver and V-Game, you can choose what you want to see, incredibly easy character add-in and modding capabilities, and there's no obligatory story, while giving you a bit of thrill if you actually try to play the game straight instead of an "I'm food" simulator. It is just unfortunate that the images are so small in game with no way to increase the screen size (the in game character screen size, like a zoom in, you can only just fullscreen it.) I think a game like this could be absolutely spectacular but unfortunately I have no experience coding, and can only hope someone revives this project with force lol
Last edited by bombbom on Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bombbom
New to the forum

Postby Nouvi » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:47 pm

Jasper wrote:That is frustratingly difficult to spot hidden among all the other text files

I do believe you're overcomplicating the difficulty here. I think you forgot just about every OS has a built in file search, and it's been a staple feature since '98, and would have found the file easily.

(This is intended as an 'oopsie reminder', please don't take it as meaning anything bad)
Lurked for Years!
Nouvi
Participator

Postby SquishySofty » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:43 pm

Jasper wrote:That is frustratingly difficult to spot (the DefaultItems.txt file) hidden among all the other text files

It's not really that difficult, I've only just did a quick search in the File Explorer to find it.
And because while it's in alphabetical order, D is the fourth letter, and it should be relatively easy to find.
mods.png
mods.png (32.85 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Not feeling so well, don't expect much of me...
SquishySofty
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Crazyman536 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:40 pm

Playfulpetfox wrote:"* Unzip the contents to a folder on your hard drive.
* Open the index.html file in your favorite browser (I test extensively on Firefox).
* Play."

This may be the most inaccurate set of instructions I have ever seen. It doesn't even work on Firefox, at least not without fiddling with settings. Sure, you get a different error on firefox, but still an error nonetheless. Rather than failing to load the items file, you get "NetworkError: A network error occurred."

Don't forget that the game hasn't been updated since around 2019, so it's compatibility with firefox is long gone since firefox has been updated at least dozens of times in those 4 years. And to anybody having issues, it's possible to download old versions of firefox to run the game, and a quick google search will tell you which version was used back then.
Crazyman536
Somewhat familiar

Postby Nugit » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:36 am

I was trying this out and it is really great! The only complaint is that I feel like the game progresses too fast. What I mean is characters move either whenever you move or after a certain amount of time passes. I would I could change that amount of time to be longer as I can not seem to have enough time to read any text before new text shows up. Is there a way in the code I can fix this?
Nugit
New to the forum

Previous

Return to Vore game