Vorelike (formerly VDOS)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Vorelike (formerly VDOS)

Postby Trubot527 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:49 pm

im having I bit of trouble adding characters to the game, I have added the new characters to the mods folder, added their names to the defaultitems.txt file (just like the other files were) but I cant find any when I start the game, I made it all the way down to floor 57 after adding them, and I couldn't find any.
Trubot527
Participator

Postby Navien » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Trubot527 wrote:im having I bit of trouble adding characters to the game, I have added the new characters to the mods folder, added their names to the defaultitems.txt file (just like the other files were) but I cant find any when I start the game, I made it all the way down to floor 57 after adding them, and I couldn't find any.

Did you add the images to the art folder?
HEY!
Navien
Somewhat familiar

Postby DollyFailFail » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:10 am

Hmm, well I'm certainly interested in making mods for this, but I'm finding that I just can't think of any ideas that particularly interest me right now...
Heyyyy! I don't think we've met before. I'm just your average Punk Girl ehehehe!!
DollyFailFail
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Trubot527 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:44 am

Navien wrote:
Trubot527 wrote:im having I bit of trouble adding characters to the game, I have added the new characters to the mods folder, added their names to the defaultitems.txt file (just like the other files were) but I cant find any when I start the game, I made it all the way down to floor 57 after adding them, and I couldn't find any.

Did you add the images to the art folder?

i just added them to the art folder but when i played again i still couldnt find any. i made sure every file was named the same thing, i made sure i put the pictures in the correct folder, but i still couldnt find any.
Trubot527
Participator

Postby komaru » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:08 am

If this is being worked on again, I'll probably start on a few more mods! I'm just having a problem with it right now though, in that I'm getting an error that Chrome is failing to execute a "send" request on '"XMLHttpRequest" for the DefaultItems file. Just curious if anyone else has seen this and has a solution. (Just downloaded the version off of Bitbucket, since the other link is down.)
komaru
???

Postby Serav » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:44 am

komaru wrote:If this is being worked on again, I'll probably start on a few more mods! I'm just having a problem with it right now though, in that I'm getting an error that Chrome is failing to execute a "send" request on '"XMLHttpRequest" for the DefaultItems file. Just curious if anyone else has seen this and has a solution. (Just downloaded the version off of Bitbucket, since the other link is down.)

Noticed that also, most likely due to a update to the chromium based browsers, through i noticed that the game does work in firefox and oddly enough, microsoft edge.
Serav
New to the forum

Postby vores best friend » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:45 pm

When I played this, I needed to run it on firefox too because chrome wouldn't load it
vores best friend
Been posting for a bit

Postby Navien » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:51 pm

Chrome does need a bunch of extra steps that firefox doesn't need, so firefox is recomended
HEY!
Navien
Somewhat familiar

Postby Navien » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Oh also, for anyone intrested, here are the files i modded to give the giantness and the Cow Girl breast vore. (Techicly breast vore and utter vore but same diffrence)
Attachments
ATGiantessv2.txt
(60.77 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Cowgirlnew.txt
(46.12 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
HEY!
Navien
Somewhat familiar

Postby komaru » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks for the Firefox/Edge recommendations, worked like a charm!
komaru
???

Postby SteelVulpes7777 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm

every time i try and add a mod in the game it just dose not load... i dont ever see the gender selection. it just remains a black screen
SteelVulpes7777
New to the forum

Postby Firon » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:31 am

SteelVulpes7777 wrote:every time i try and add a mod in the game it just dose not load... i dont ever see the gender selection. it just remains a black screen

that's because you overwrite all of the load order when you add a mod...you have to add your mod as well as the default items text file at the same time or nothing works
Firon
---

Postby SteelVulpes7777 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 am

Firon wrote:
SteelVulpes7777 wrote:every time i try and add a mod in the game it just dose not load... i dont ever see the gender selection. it just remains a black screen

that's because you overwrite all of the load order when you add a mod...you have to add your mod as well as the default items text file at the same time or nothing works

ok so how do i find/place the default items... i dont remember doing that when i first played this game, though i have terrible memory....
SteelVulpes7777
New to the forum

Postby Firon » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:27 am

the defaultitems.txt is in the same folder as your mods...just select it and whatever mods you want in the same folder and drop them in as you would for mods
Firon
---

Postby ObsidianSnake » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:01 pm

superultraguitarist wrote:
Maenethal wrote:Anyone know why I can't turn of real time mode?

To preface, I know this is a really old post to be responding to, but I'm looking to take up the mantle to renovate and bring this game back to life (with permission of course).
What I've been doing to make it more like brogue's turn system is editing the index.html file, because there's the variable "worldtimetoggle" that is set to true in that file. Change "true" to "false", and it makes it so enemies do not automatically move on their own. I haven't figured out how to fix the toggle button, but am hoping to later on.

Minor bit of necro here, but this doesn't seem to have worked for me when I tried it. But there is another method! Try this: open index.html in a text editor and change the variable "engine.worldspeed" to "0".

The worldtime funtion in Engine.js accepts engine.worldspeed as an argument, so my guess is that players could change it when they first launch the game. Given that, rather than a yes/no toggle, consider making another choice in index.html like "Real Time Movement Clock: Off (0), Slow (500) Normal (1000) and Fast (2000)". I prefer turning this feature off too! I suppose if you wanted to go all in on sounds and art it could work as an rpg with an action game pace, but I like the classic rougelike approach instead.

Topic change: I'm trying to make it so you can create creature swallows that aren't randomly used as attacks. Thus, you can create special conditional scenes that only occur in situations like talk choices. It makes sense some creatures would be a bit gentler or more playful with a willing participant.
If you have some time to burn, check out my gallery for some stories!
ObsidianSnake
Somewhat familiar

Postby superultraguitarist » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:23 am

ObsidianSnake wrote:
superultraguitarist wrote:
Maenethal wrote:Anyone know why I can't turn of real time mode?

To preface, I know this is a really old post to be responding to, but I'm looking to take up the mantle to renovate and bring this game back to life (with permission of course).
What I've been doing to make it more like brogue's turn system is editing the index.html file, because there's the variable "worldtimetoggle" that is set to true in that file. Change "true" to "false", and it makes it so enemies do not automatically move on their own. I haven't figured out how to fix the toggle button, but am hoping to later on.

Minor bit of necro here, but this doesn't seem to have worked for me when I tried it. But there is another method! Try this: open index.html in a text editor and change the variable "engine.worldspeed" to "0".

The worldtime funtion in Engine.js accepts engine.worldspeed as an argument, so my guess is that players could change it when they first launch the game. Given that, rather than a yes/no toggle, consider making another choice in index.html like "Real Time Movement Clock: Off (0), Slow (500) Normal (1000) and Fast (2000)". I prefer turning this feature off too! I suppose if you wanted to go all in on sounds and art it could work as an rpg with an action game pace, but I like the classic rougelike approach instead.

Topic change: I'm trying to make it so you can create creature swallows that aren't randomly used as attacks. Thus, you can create special conditional scenes that only occur in situations like talk choices. It makes sense some creatures would be a bit gentler or more playful with a willing participant.

Thank you for sharing about the worldspeed value in the index.html document! That's definitely a better way to change the speed. I think as the game is now, with the enemy moving both on a timer, and moving with every player input, that currently using worldtime 0 would be best gameplay wise. However, if I can adjust the way the enemy moves, then I think the differing speeds would be fantastic. Also, figuring out a way to adjust how fast an individual type of enemy is would be something I'm interested in implementing.

Also as an update, I've made more monsters/expanded a few existing one. Right now, I'm better at writing male preds, so if others make mods/customize files, or even pm me the lines that should be used for the encounter, that would be awesome for implementing a variety of monsters. I also think that before I make a new thread, I will fill out a decent roster, plus since there'll be both male/female preds, I'll add a choice when you start that allows you to have only male, only female, or both types of preds.
superultraguitarist
New to the forum

Postby ObsidianSnake » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:27 pm

I hadn't actually been using the active worldclock, so I hadn't noticed that the creatures get "bonus" turns when it's on. That's a pretty significant bug. There's a few solutions to it with various ramifications. The first I can think of is a timed chess sort of system where you have up to the clockspeed to make your move, and if you don't, then the game acted like you passed your turn (like when you use the "f" key). That would be pretty engaging if you want to keep the rest of the game pretty simple. You could also make it so all the creatures just take turns on the clockspeed, but the player can take as many turns as the FPS will allow them to input, but that's a major genre break. Also, it's really weird. Between the two, I would prefer the former.

As fun as it is to make creatures, I find them really limited. Even things that exist in documentation don't function as expected and sometimes not at all. For instance, the intro arrays don't do anything right now. If they do, I don't know how I missed it or what I'm doing wrong. Also, a creature can be prey, predator or apex predator, but that should be independent of their general behavior in that you should be able to make them neutral or friendly to the player and other monsters based on more than their race association. Superultraguitarist also raises the important fact that their speed can't vary (and neither can the player's!), I'm not certain what if anything a few of the stats do, they don't have any special abilities, and when they attack they sometimes use one of their swallow moves at random. By the way, if you look in Object.js you'll find a lot of functions that govern that, such as character.prototype.attack. AI.js only seems to relate to movement and pathfinding.

Tags exist, but I'm not sure how to extend or use the functionality yet. There's a lot of possibilities in tags. Sure, you can blacklist tags, but what about the inverse? Like, only wanting to see one type of vore or pred? Or just turn off all the vore completely for some reason.
If you have some time to burn, check out my gallery for some stories!
ObsidianSnake
Somewhat familiar

Postby superultraguitarist » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:41 pm

ObsidianSnake wrote:I hadn't actually been using the active worldclock, so I hadn't noticed that the creatures get "bonus" turns when it's on. That's a pretty significant bug. There's a few solutions to it with various ramifications. The first I can think of is a timed chess sort of system where you have up to the clockspeed to make your move, and if you don't, then the game acted like you passed your turn (like when you use the "f" key). That would be pretty engaging if you want to keep the rest of the game pretty simple. You could also make it so all the creatures just take turns on the clockspeed, but the player can take as many turns as the FPS will allow them to input, but that's a major genre break. Also, it's really weird. Between the two, I would prefer the former.

As fun as it is to make creatures, I find them really limited. Even things that exist in documentation don't function as expected and sometimes not at all. For instance, the intro arrays don't do anything right now. If they do, I don't know how I missed it or what I'm doing wrong. Also, a creature can be prey, predator or apex predator, but that should be independent of their general behavior in that you should be able to make them neutral or friendly to the player and other monsters based on more than their race association. Superultraguitarist also raises the important fact that their speed can't vary (and neither can the player's!), I'm not certain what if anything a few of the stats do, they don't have any special abilities, and when they attack they sometimes use one of their swallow moves at random. By the way, if you look in Object.js you'll find a lot of functions that govern that, such as character.prototype.attack. AI.js only seems to relate to movement and pathfinding.

Tags exist, but I'm not sure how to extend or use the functionality yet. There's a lot of possibilities in tags. Sure, you can blacklist tags, but what about the inverse? Like, only wanting to see one type of vore or pred? Or just turn off all the vore completely for some reason.

There's definitely a lot of potential for modification in this game, but I feel to add certain features it would require some heavy rewriting of code, which I don't mind much. When I get enough experience with JS or other interactive languages, I'm hoping to just make a new, fresh engine. Until then, I'll experiment with modding this game. I think I have some pretty good ideas about how to implement the chess system you suggested, but I think I'll just make a monster roster and then with future versions implement those quality of life features. Blegh I'm just get so excited about adding and improving on game features!!! Excited to get a mod thread created!
superultraguitarist
New to the forum

Postby NSW » Fri May 03, 2019 3:25 am

superultraguitarist wrote:There's definitely a lot of potential for modification in this game, but I feel to add certain features it would require some heavy rewriting of code, which I don't mind much. When I get enough experience with JS or other interactive languages, I'm hoping to just make a new, fresh engine. Until then, I'll experiment with modding this game. I think I have some pretty good ideas about how to implement the chess system you suggested, but I think I'll just make a monster roster and then with future versions implement those quality of life features. Blegh I'm just get so excited about adding and improving on game features!!! Excited to get a mod thread created!

I tinkered with the source code a lot when this first came out. It's definitely got some potential for easy modding and a few bugs here and there. One of the things i did was setup the game within NW.js (https://nwjs.io). It bundles a Chromium web browser with NodeJS. Probably overkill for this game but it helps avoid the loading issues with normal browsers and provides a lot more options later on with the addition of NodeJS.

Some of the tinkering i did included...
1.) Adding more descriptive text replacement to allow the text information to be more interesting. So instead of just DMG for damage, you could also use tags to add gender, name and heath information for both predator and prey.
2.) Adding an isdigest tag to swallow moves so creatures could have descriptive text if the player is the predator.
3.) Adding extra keys that allow me to select targets in the predators stomach (or the players) and offer a popup with additional options. (Setting friend tag, switching places, having the predator find another of their kind and either feed themselves to or eat them.) That last option was mostly for testing... mostly. :lol:
NSW
Been posting for a bit

Postby VampireFlowerLover22 » Sat May 04, 2019 4:46 pm

The Arbok and Goblin mod DO NOT WORK! Why?
VampireFlowerLover22
New to the forum

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game