Working on a Text Game

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Working on a Text Game

Postby Zixer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:41 pm

So I'm making a Vore game in the Quest text game engine! I don't have much with it so far, I've been mostly working on a system of eating/being eaten, and abusing Quest's loose 'Room' object definitions in general, but I figure I'll keep this here to track my progress. The basic gist of the game is (read: will be) the journey of two characters through... something. Alright, honestly, I got to the idea of a two-character text vore game and that was the amount of design work I had going into this. You can switch perspectives between the two and also eat things.

If you do want to try what I have so far, you can get the game at https://mega.nz/#!YdMmHZba!nC5Jgel4FI2YStmIdn83V21KLiV39ZpoB5UV0rLVx_Y. You shouldn't need the Quest engine to run it, but if you do, you can grab it from http://textadventures.co.uk/quest (Edit: I stand by my statement that you shouldn't need the client to run it. But you do.)

There's almost nothing in terms of content so far, but feel free to roam around bothering the local wildlife. Commands you should probably know are Switch, Eat, Release, Attack, Grab, Struggle, Digest, Sleep, Wait- they should all be self explanatory.

I'll probably also keep a running track of notable bugs I've encountered here, because honestly that's the most interesting thing about this project so far.
Spoiler: show
    *Your companion would follow you everywhere- if you ate your companion, then switched perspectives, they'd happily dive into their own stomach.
    *On a related note, you could eat yourself.
    *Enemies' internal organs would wander the wilderness, hunting for you. As entertaining as that may be, it was deemed to freaky to leave in.
    *Escaping an enemy's stomach would only escape the stomach- You'd still be inside the wolf or whatever, free to interact with its organs.
    *Upon their generation into the world, snakes would without fail, first and foremost, immediately devour themselves, and then everything in eyesight, trapping them all in a stomach that does not exist with no hope of escape.
    *Late in development it was discovered that instead of the normal stomach room, the player's stomach was replaced with HELL or, rather, the "null" room reserved for holding dead things.

EDIT: I don't have a computer anymore! Check out page 5 for the source! Also check for Rake's Edit!!
Last edited by Zixer on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Re: Working on a Text Game

Postby Whereaminow27 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:17 pm

This sounds Greatly Interesting, I've been writing all the stuff for the new expansion on Exelwarrior, gonna have to get some poor soul to code it in. But dam, This has really got my interest here. Have you decided if it is going to be f/f f/m or ?
Whereaminow27
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Zixer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:32 pm

It's going to be everything/everything, ideally. You start with two characters that you can choose the genders of, and while right now there's only oral vore, I'll be adding the others.... soonish.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby R3X » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:59 pm

Not sure if its just me, but the combat is really annoying, would prefer turnbased with options of what to do instead of just attacking via of copy paste spam.
Don't Panic
R3X
Somewhat familiar

Postby Zixer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:27 pm

I can personally guarantee you that you're not the only one who finds combat annoying.

I'll either be working on the triggers for when you or enemies attack so that the system is less janky than it is currently while preserving the open world aspect I'm kind of going for now, or giving up entirely and making it turn based.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Firon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:33 pm

apparently I have a incorrect ASL number error currently...do you require a specific quest version to run your game?
Firon
---

Postby Whereaminow27 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:06 am

I think the system you have now is decent. Just gotta tone down the Ai attacks, so you can have a few secs to not spam attacks :P

So far, it is great. I was hoping for a bit more on demo but im patient. Combat has massive opened choices, run flee, etc, making your own character is pretty Cool. ^^ Will you be adding different descriptions and such based on characters looks, sizes, bellies, F or M when getting eaten or etc also down the road? Luckily for one of my female characters, that Digestion is not in the game yet :/
Whereaminow27
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Assimilation » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:19 am

Good start, but absolutely no real-time combat in a text-based game like this, please. That would place this on the spectrum of "skill at this game is about how well you manipulate the UI" which is an awful game design.
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Pachirisu_And_Asmodeus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:25 am

I love this one myself. The combat is okay as is in my opinion, although beng able to just push a button to attack would be nice.
A link to a fun game I love playing: http://www.blankmediagames.com/TownOfSalem/

Be sure to say that ParaYumi refered you when you register for it. That's me.
Pachirisu_And_Asmodeus
???

Postby Zixer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:29 am

Firon wrote:apparently I have a incorrect ASL number error currently...do you require a specific quest version to run your game?

Try the most recent version; I'll see what I can find out about this error.

Assimilation wrote:Good start, but absolutely no real-time combat in a text-based game like this, please. That would place this on the spectrum of "skill at this game is about how well you manipulate the UI" which is an awful game design.

I will always believe in a middle ground. Somewhere out there in the wild world of improper uses of Quest xmls is a way to preserve a real time aspect without freaky bastardizations of text based UI.

Somewhere probably outside the realm of code written under the constant mantra of "Fuck it, I'll come up with something better later."
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Assimilation » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:35 am

Can you do a running clock, a countdown, maybe popup descriptions of physical movement? Can you implement cooldowns between player attacks? Your middle ground has to make it reasonable for people to actually both prepare and read things and not just constantly spam copy paste or assign macros or write scripts.
Assimilation
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Firon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:50 am

Zixer wrote:Try the most recent version; I'll see what I can find out about this error.

that's not really going to help matters when I already have vore games in quest using my current version which outright crash the client with the latest release versions

this is a rather unfortunate problem....I do wish to test your game but without damaging my ability to play the existing games
Firon
---

Postby Whereaminow27 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:06 am

Firon wrote:
Zixer wrote:Try the most recent version; I'll see what I can find out about this error.

that's not really going to help matters when I already have vore games in quest using my current version which outright crash the client with the latest release versions

this is a rather unfortunate problem....I do wish to test your game but without damaging my ability to play the existing games

Might be your windows, runs fine without any problem on Vista Ultimate here. Might now have some required redistributables or etc, I'm a very big gamer, so never a problem for me :P
Whereaminow27
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Firon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:11 am

Whereaminow27 wrote:Might be your windows, runs fine without any problem on Vista Ultimate here. Might now have some required redistributables or etc, I'm a very big gamer, so never a problem for me :P

did you even pay attention to the fact that an older version of quest was mentioned?.....I know excatly what the problem is and I relayed the infomation to the dev to be looked at to see if it can be fixed

I consider your comment rather condescending
Firon
---

Postby Whereaminow27 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:38 am

Firon wrote:
Whereaminow27 wrote:Might be your windows, runs fine without any problem on Vista Ultimate here. Might now have some required redistributables or etc, I'm a very big gamer, so never a problem for me :P

did you even pay attention to the fact that an older version of quest was mentioned?.....I know excatly what the problem is and I relayed the infomation to the dev to be looked at to see if it can be fixed

I consider your comment rather condescending

No need to be rude, for me trying to help. new version worked with this.
Whereaminow27
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Zixer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:07 am

Assimilation wrote:Can you do a running clock, a countdown, maybe popup descriptions of physical movement? Can you implement cooldowns between player attacks? Your middle ground has to make it reasonable for people to actually both prepare and read things and not just constantly spam copy paste or assign macros or write scripts.

The short answer is yes. What I'm likely going to try next is consolidating any and all "combat" actions into a menu that pops up based on a timer. It'll probably still be a tad janky and will be improved/replaced later, but it's a quick fix to remove the need to spam the client.

Firon wrote:

Still going to see what I can do about this, but in the meantime, can you see if this will run in a browser instead of a Quest client?
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Postby Midir » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:18 am

Zixer wrote: You shouldn't need the Quest engine to run it, but if you do, you can grab it from http://textadventures.co.uk/quest

How can I possibly run a .quest file without Quest engine?

Firon wrote:that's not really going to help matters when I already have vore games in quest using my current version which outright crash the client with the latest release versions

Try installing both versions maybe? It might work.
Last edited by Midir on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midir
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Firon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:33 am

Zixer wrote:Still going to see what I can do about this, but in the meantime, can you see if this will run in a browser instead of a Quest client?

have you uploaded your game to the website to play it?....you should be able to provide a link if so
Firon
---

Postby Midir » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:41 am

I like the game idea, though I would suggest to make it less glitchy, remove real-time combat, and give it an ability to read data about monsters/characters/events from the text files in future, so that it would be easy to mod it~
Midir
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Zixer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:54 pm

Midir wrote:How can I possibly run a .quest file without Quest engine?

Firon wrote:have you uploaded your game to the website to play it?....you should be able to provide a link if so

...alright. So interesting thing about Quest- all the games are actually HTML/ASPX based. The interface you use to play it in the client is running a web page that runs the game itself. By all rights you should be able to run it with open with -> choose a browser.

You just can't. You have to get someone else to do it, then you can play it. The Quest engine is designed to run off a web interface- just not yours, specifically. There's a Quest webplayer out there, that can allow games to be run in a browser, but it's server-based.

Unless you are willing to set up an asp.net server (which is easier than it sounds, but not as easy as getting the client instead) you'll have to use the client. My bad.

IN THE MEANTIME I'll be almost certainly updating to a much less terrible combat style tonight and also

Midir wrote:...though I would suggest to make it less glitchy,...

yep workin on it and also

Midir wrote:... and give it an ability to read data about monsters/characters/events from the text files in future, so that it would be easy to mod it~

I'll be attacking this idea with great zeal later on for no other reason than it looks like I can get pretty creative with it. All of the game files are already in a markup language, so it's actually possible to mod the source code without the quest client- while I'm not going to expect y'all to do that with raw xml, the format I have enemies in means it's entirely plausible (and p. easy) to craft a simple XML generator for crappin' out custom monsters and events and such on demand.

Or I could just get it to read some text files for content and call it done.

But, before then, I'll be trying to at least get out something resembling a game.

~*FABULOUS EVENING EDIT*~

New version!

https://mega.co.nz/#!5QVAmB7Z!3cmZY68mUEdpFz2zd5gnI7ysHTG6dKk1oSDeC-L9t1s

The combat system is now a timer-driven menu based, and much easier to follow than the old system. You now no longer attack freely; that will only be available as an option in combat. You can still use the Eat command freely, but it won't work on enemies unless you've Grabbed them previously, also a command only available in combat. Combat is also generally slowed down. You can still use certain actions whenever, like switching, attempting to eat, or just straight up leaving.

The new system is heavily context-based and I've probably screwed up somewhere so do let me know if you're not getting an attack prompt when you should or something.

You still can only attack with one character at a time; working on making that in a not-crap way.

Next on my list- more vore types and at least a few NPCs.

On the dev side of things, I've discovered a quirk in the code. Let me take a moment to talk about snakes.

Wildlife roams their respective territories freely- when you move a room, they move a room, until they find you and start fighting. In the southern wilds, there's a snake with a unique property- if it moves to a space where another monster is, it'll eat it immediately. It used to do this to itself- it would slither into a room, look around for valid monsters, realize "Hey, I'm a monster!" and get its Ouroboros on.

Anyway, it would resume wandering with its new belly, not digesting it. This is its second gimmick- if the snake eats one of your characters, it'll immediately flee somewhere, then settle down and start digesting, and not before. If you kill it while it has a full belly, or get eaten by it, you'll be confronted by its former meals.

If there's one a good distance away from the player, it'll wander the whole time you are- giving it plenty of time to stuff each and every one of the available encounters into its waiting gullet. There's no upper limit.

...Eh. I'll change it later. Should be amusing to see where it goes.
Zixer
Somewhat familiar

Next

Return to Vore game