Vore War 05A

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Vore War 05A

Postby darkevilme » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:33 am

Let me tell you a tale of a week or two ago. When I burnt out on my more mainstream project, I asked idly for suggestions in chat for a vore game to make as a side project to recuperate energy for the main one. Someone suggested a vore war between catgirls and dog girls...then a cold happened and i lost the ability to do elementary school maths for a bit...but the project still happened at least as far as producing an alpha release. And so I present, another alpha from darkevil! who has a bad track record of finishing things.

Pick a side, dog or cat, raise armies, conquer villages in what might be the only turn based strategy game that caters to voraphiles.

Vore war can be considered pretty close to finished at this point. See thread for details. Bug fixes will still be released as bugs are spotted. But development of new features ended and vore war doesn't really need new features. For what it is it's something I can be satisfied with. A simple TBS with lite rpg elements and a smutty nature.

However if you disagree and would like to see me coming back to this project here are my donation thresholds.
current donation level: £0
£50: revamped item shop, accessory layer for characters
£100: village upgrades and extra items
£200: special ability slot

pictures:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage

Links:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h4wwsh2a7q7d51s/vorewar_05A.zip
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7n4hmhassllu4/VoreWar
http://warpedrealities.wordpress.com/donations-page/<-if you enjoyed the game, consider donating to show your appreciation.

changelog:
05A, attempt to utilize AI tweak to clump up enemy units on approach to prevent piecemeal destruction of enemy army.
05, highly experimental AI tweak
04H, fix army panel fixtures
04G, fix for if a prey in the process of absorption with a meal of their own with positive HP has their predator slain by an attack..hopefully.
04F, AI stat progression adjustment
04E, movement fix
04D, AI pathfinding fix to correct error caused by previous AI pathfinding fix
04C, AI garrison fix
04B, AI pathfinding fix, error message improvements.
04A, AI pathfinding improvement(experimental),turducken vore fix(experimental), freed prey location fix, freed prey MP fix, AI garrison adjustment(experimental)
04, the amazing R and N buttons. also AI difficulty text file.
03G, fix for turns, movement crash.
03F, fix for AI, fix for pathfinding
03E: adjusted graphics, fix for increase garrison.
03D: experimental strategic AI tension meter adjustment, fixed devour move for the umpteenth time
03C: experimental strategic AI adjustment, fix to loading, adjustment to devour move.
03B: fix movement exploit, fix runpred AI to have safe exit strategy.
03A: unit level up health stat fix, loading cat save fix.
03: experimental loading and saving, victory and defeat.
02: experimental AI adjustments, strategic AI tension meter fixed, defending player controlling hostiles fix, healing fix, devour code improvement, enemy AI sent to the Reiko school of applied predation.
01C: fixed WASD strategic movement bug, fixed garrison unit death while digesting prey bug, added distance check to devour move, added yet more checks around devour menu.
01B: fixed the devour bug
01: tactical healthbars, simplified garrisons, dismissing garrison troops, new mouse camera movement,lots of bug fixes, lots of new bugs introduced.
fixed a minor issue with movement.
Last edited by darkevilme on Sat May 09, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 38 times in total.
darkevilme
---

Re: Vore War (alpha)

Postby Salanth » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:17 pm

I played it and I must say, the game does a very bad job of explaining itself. From the first post I figure that you just decided to toss the game up here and add the documentation later, and it's early alpha so it's excusable. But some more explanations would be quite useful. Just one question though, sometimes troops disappear from my army between turns (not as a result of dying in combat), is there any reason why that would happen?

Other than that it looks quite good despite being so early on in development.
Salanth
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby darkevilme » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:25 pm

That1guy wrote:I played it and I must say, the game does a very bad job of explaining itself. From the first post I figure that you just decided to toss the game up here and add the documentation later, and it's early alpha so it's excusable. But some more explanations would be quite useful. Just one question though, sometimes troops disappear from my army between turns (not as a result of dying in combat), is there any reason why that would happen?

Regarding troop disappearances.
I can't think of a reason why such should happen. If i could have a hint as to what circumstances were leading to it, low health? negative health? in a village? out of a village?

Regarding documentation: I suck at writing it, but i did include some in the readme that was in the game folder, look see.

included readme wrote:Goals:
Claim all enemy villages for your side, to do this raise armies at your villages by RECRUITing soldiers and equipping them with items in the SHOP then moving them towards the enemy.

you may also want to have garrisons of defenders at your villages to protect against hostiles.

your soldiers can equip two items each, one of which should be a ranged or melee weapon.

Your soldiers can gain experience in battle and level up (recruitment or army info panel)

both:
arrow keys to move camera

controls:
strategic mode.
numpad for movement
mouse clicks for selection
end turn button top right

tactical mode:
action buttons clustered bottom right
click action, then click target
numpad for movement

bonus controls:
WASD and WASD+shift can be used instead of numpad for movement.
1-2-3-4 connect to the item 1, item 2, vore, info actions in tactical mode.
hold down I to enable info peek mode (experimental)

Stats:
strength, controls hit chance for melee
dexterity, controls hit chance for ranged
speed, controls movement points
health, controls health maximum
will, controls vore resistance
parry, controls melee defence
block, controls ranged defence
voracity, controls vore hit chance
stomach, controls capacity and digestion duration

Items and you:
mace, melee weapon, bop thine foes
bow, ranged weapon, pelt thine foes
axe, heavy melee weapon, bisect thine foes
shield, raise block
helmet, raise parry
shoes, raise speed
gloves, raise dexterity

health recovery and you:
Put your wounded armies in villages. If you want it to go faster then you'll have to accept villages being emptier when you're done and devour village population.

Gold and you:
you need gold to hire garrisons, recruit soldiers and buy equipment. You get gold based on the population of your villages, you also however lose 1 gold per turn for each villager defender in your garrisons and 2 gold per turn for each soldier in your armies (armies are the little banners).

Terms:
Village, can be inhabited by either catgirls or dog girls and owned by either side. You get income from these, you can only recruit soldiers at villages of your own race.
Army: how you take your fight to the enemy, armies can have up to 16 soldiers. You in turn can have up to 10 armies.

Last edited by darkevilme on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkevilme
---

Postby Halowinner » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:36 pm

uh it keep closeing everytime i open it and it saying it pause when nothing should be doing it
Halowinner
Participator

Postby darkevilme » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Halowinner wrote:uh it keep closeing everytime i open it and it saying it pause when nothing should be doing it

send me your error text file. Should be in the game working directory (that's the one with the jar and the bat file in it). Though I suspect your graphics card can't support openGL 3.0 or newer and that's the problem.
darkevilme
---

Postby Midir » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:47 pm

Found a bug!

Image This is causing an infinite loop....

Another possible bug is... here:

Maybe it's a feature, though :)

Well, as an amateur game maker - I love this! The sprites are cute and I have a feeling you put a lot of efforts in writing it, all those stats and custom buttons...I know the pain ._.

It's a pity I did not work in Java and have little idea of how it works, I was doing my own project in Python... maybe there is still a way I could help?

What do you want the game to look like at the end?

I was wondering, did you use some custom Java libraries for this?... I do not know much though, are there custom libraries there at all?

The sprites are awesome ^^ Really loved them!

I wish there was a tiny bit more personality behind each soldier...but i guess it's a common problem for all the strategies after all...

I also have a feeling that vore is at the moment more powerful than normal damage...I know it's just an alpha but maybe it would make sense to make both vore-oriented and melee-oriented units...
Midir
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby darkevilme » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:24 pm

Midir wrote:Found a bug!
Another possible bug is... here:
Maybe it's a feature, though :)

Well, as an amateur game maker - I love this! The sprites are cute and I have a feeling you put a lot of efforts in writing it, all those stats and custom buttons...I know the pain ._.

It's a pity I did not work in Java and have little idea of how it works, I was doing my own project in Python... maybe there is still a way I could help?

What do you want the game to look like at the end?

I was wondering, did you use some custom Java libraries for this?... I do not know much though, are there custom libraries there at all?

The sprites are awesome ^^ Really loved them!

I wish there was a tiny bit more personality behind each soldier...but i guess it's a common problem for all the strategies after all...

I also have a feeling that vore is at the moment more powerful than normal damage...I know it's just an alpha but maybe it would make sense to make both vore-oriented and melee-oriented units...

Bug one is me not thinking ahead. I gave the order random walk to any archer enemy who is too close to their target. I didn't foresee that you'd mob them and stop them random walking and using up their turn.

Bug two...eh, i wrote the village placement code without intending for it to be perfect.

As for the vision? Honestly, I have ideas..but this project like OVRL could be considered 99% of what was intended. It was a short project to have a bit more fun with OpenGL, java and recover my batteries for my non vore project. Barring bug fixes and a few utility features(ability to dismiss garrison units, mouse camera controls) this is what you're getting. It's not that I don't greatly enjoy making vore games. It's just I can't invest lots of time in them for free.

As for custom libraries. It uses LWJGL and that's about it barring a few helper things. The rest I wrote myself (a chunk of it not for this project persee, it actually uses a lot of code recycled from my failed attempt at a multiplayer game).
darkevilme
---

Postby smallpeter » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:18 pm

sorry to ask this but can you explain how I'm to play this?
smallpeter
Participator

Postby InuyashalovesKagome » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Um, how do you make the game fullscreen? I've tried the usual shift+enter buttons but that didn't work and neither did the ctrl or alt with enter.
InuyashalovesKagome
Participator

Postby InuyashalovesKagome » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:43 pm

Um, how do you make the game fullscreen? I've tried the usual shift+enter buttons but that didn't work and neither did the ctrl or alt with enter.
InuyashalovesKagome
Participator

Postby InuyashalovesKagome » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:44 pm

InuyashalovesKagome
Participator

Postby Midir » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:05 pm

I don't think it's supposed to have fullscreen, it's an alpha after all...

And you can learn about the game from that second post? It's in readme.txt
Midir
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Salanth » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:45 am

darkevilme wrote:
That1guy wrote:I played it and I must say, the game does a very bad job of explaining itself. From the first post I figure that you just decided to toss the game up here and add the documentation later, and it's early alpha so it's excusable. But some more explanations would be quite useful. Just one question though, sometimes troops disappear from my army between turns (not as a result of dying in combat), is there any reason why that would happen?

Regarding troop disappearances.
I can't think of a reason why such should happen. If i could have a hint as to what circumstances were leading to it, low health? negative health? in a village? out of a village?

Regarding documentation: I suck at writing it, but i did include some in the readme that was in the game folder, look see.

Regarding troop disappearances I found the issue; they didn't disappear per se but rather the the interface didn't show any of my troops for whatever reason (on the assumption that you can have 20 troops in your army; maybe the page scrolled up/down a step so that the troops were on another page?). At the very least I ran into this issue again and all the troops reappeared when they got into a battle.

As for documentation, fair enough. Though there is still next to no explanation on what exactly the items or stats do for example (though to be fair their names give a pretty good hint), and one thing in particular I'm wondering about is how you recover health on your troops other than voreing enemies. I guess the devour button would help with this but I can't seem it to get to work, and in fact it messing around with it more or less guarantees an crash from my (limited) experience.

Either way, I'm not sure how much feedback you want to have as it's an alpha and I'm pretty sure you are aware of a lot of things that needs to be fixed already (and it seems like this isn't a number one priority for you anyway).
Salanth
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Halowinner » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:56 am

darkevilme wrote:
Halowinner wrote:uh it keep closeing everytime i open it and it saying it pause when nothing should be doing it

send me your error text file. Should be in the game working directory (that's the one with the jar and the bat file in it). Though I suspect your graphics card can't support openGL 3.0 or newer and that's the problem.

ehh it should work i use it before but ehh all it does is i click the run then it pops up then the game closes then the black box says were its at then vorewar>pause
but ehh i guess nvm then
Halowinner
Participator

Postby Halowinner » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:58 am

Halowinner wrote:
darkevilme wrote:

ehh it should work i use it before but ehh all it does is i click the run then it pops up then the game closes then the black box says were its at then vorewar>pause
but ehh i guess nvm then

wait the error text thing if that the thing you want me to send Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Function is not supported
at org.lwjgl.BufferChecks.checkFunctionAddress(BufferChecks.java:58)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL20.glCreateShader(GL20.java:221)
at vmo.Game.loadShader(Game.java:131)
at vmo.Game.LoadShaders(Game.java:145)
at vmo.Game.<init>(Game.java:97)
at vmo.Main.main(Main.java:10)
there it is
Halowinner
Participator

Postby InuyashalovesKagome » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:31 am

Midir wrote:I don't think it's supposed to have fullscreen, it's an alpha after all...

And you can learn about the game from that second post? It's in readme.txt

Actually nevermind on that as I figured it out by using the arrow keys to pan the camera, which btw isn't mentioned in the readme.
InuyashalovesKagome
Participator

Postby darkevilme » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:22 am

That1guy wrote:Regarding troop disappearances I found the issue; they didn't disappear per se but rather the the interface didn't show any of my troops for whatever reason (on the assumption that you can have 20 troops in your army; maybe the page scrolled up/down a step so that the troops were on another page?). At the very least I ran into this issue again and all the troops reappeared when they got into a battle.

As for documentation, fair enough. Though there is still next to no explanation on what exactly the items or stats do for example (though to be fair their names give a pretty good hint), and one thing in particular I'm wondering about is how you recover health on your troops other than voreing enemies. I guess the devour button would help with this but I can't seem it to get to work, and in fact it messing around with it more or less guarantees an crash from my (limited) experience.

Either way, I'm not sure how much feedback you want to have as it's an alpha and I'm pretty sure you are aware of a lot of things that needs to be fixed already (and it seems like this isn't a number one priority for you anyway).

Soo, soldiers are disappearing on the army info panel but still exist in the army itself? that's...weird.
and the devour button should work. i tested it at least a little. anytime the game crashes send me the error.txt file.

And halowinner. Googling the error indicates to me that your graphics card or at the very least your graphics card drivers are too old to support custom openGL shaders.

and inuyashalovekagome of the repetitive post..the game doesn't support fullscreen. tis alpha.

edit:
as for priorities. Yeah, this isn't high priority. But I have enough of a desire for quality that I am going to handle bug fixes, stability, and addition of a few vital usability functions. What I'm not going to commit to is adding new gameplay features. Some ideas I've had but sadly can't justify the expense in time for implementing in a vore game are:
A more indepth tactical combat system using a variety of items, a proper 'ability' system and final fantasy 9 style learning for it.
isometric tactical view!
redraw sprites with four directions??
village upgrades and structures?
Interface improvements (Would need feedback for this one, but lets all agree the current UI sucks arse)
more!

what is coming down the pipe:
Ability to dismiss garrison units to save on upkeep.
Ability to load and save the game
Ability to control the camera using the mouse
Bug fixes, all the bug fixes.
Possibly tactical health bars as well.
darkevilme
---

Postby Njux » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:56 am

I tried to open the game but just closes without starting.

Tried both the .jar file and the batch file.

in the error file it says "Could not compile shader"
Njux
Somewhat familiar

Postby Wolfwood » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:12 am

darkevilme wrote:
Soo, soldiers are disappearing on the army info panel but still exist in the army itself? that's...weird.

If its the same thing that happened to me, it was that I clicked on my army but it was actually loading the window for some town. Double clicking the mouse on it before going to the info screen seemed to fix it. But haven't tested far into that.

Only had it close on me when trying to use devour on a town twice in a row on the same turn.
Wolfwood
Stab-Happy n' sneaky

Postby Salanth » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:42 am

Actually it seems that I got it to partially work now. Before I had an issue of not being able to insert a count of how many villagers I wanted to eat (it bugged itself out by showing a bunch of numbers), but when I quickly went into the game to try it out it worked fine, for whatever reason. However, it is very easy to cause a crash: just enter the menu, click on the enter count key, click on eat the villagers key, re-enter the menu and wait/click around a few times until it crashes. Here is the error message I get from crashing the game this way:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at vorewar.StrategyMode.Devour(StrategyMode.java:952)
at vorewar.StrategyMode.ButtonCallback(StrategyMode.java:823)
at shared.Button.ClickEvent(Button.java:93)
at shared.Window.ClickEvent(Window.java:69)
at shared.MouseHook.Update(MouseHook.java:71)
at vmo.Game.Update(Game.java:203)
at vmo.Game.Run(Game.java:190)
at vmo.Main.main(Main.java:12)

Now with all that said, what is the actual use of devouring villagers? Just there for flavor?

Also, a few issues with girls who has eaten other girls; if you eat a girl who has eaten one of your girls it seems to cause combat to run on forever. You can still take turns and move your troops around but it just never ends. If you kill enemies who has eaten girls it sometimes causes crashes, especially if they have eaten a lot. My first hunch would maybe be that the prey is ejected onto an occupied space, but I have tested to little to know for sure. I would add error messages but your error log was so kind as to wipe the log for me before I copied it.

As for an improved ui it would be really useful if it could be possible to have an easy way of looking up statistics. I'm not sure how hard this would be to program but if you could have a key that you press down when you mouse over a soldier (for instance as long as you hold down the right mouse button) and the information about that soldier would pop up as long as you do it would help a lot. And health bars would be nice too, again, this may or may not require too much work but something that would help the player see how tanky a character is at a glance, like a small black bar at every 10 health in addition to the traditional red/green bar would help a lot.

Regardless of this I'm having lots of fun playing this. For what it is it's a very nice little game.
Salanth
Intermediate Vorarephile

Next

Return to Vore game