Idea: Voregon trail, let's discuss (now with Demo))

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Idea: Voregon trail, let's discuss (now with Demo))

Postby Adseria » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:42 pm

I know you've said it doesn't include much, but the demo isn't working. It gives me an error message as soon as I start it saying "Unable to find VL Gothic font."
http://aryion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=44088

Best. Skyrim. Mod. EVER.
Except maybe a couple of others I haven't found yet. Do they count?
Adseria
Somewhat familiar

Postby DarkPinkie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Adseria wrote:I know you've said it doesn't include much, but the demo isn't working. It gives me an error message as soon as I start it saying "Unable to find VL Gothic font."

Probably because your computer doesn't have the VL Gothic text font in it?

I think that is one of the things included in the RPGmaker VX Ace application run package (not the actual dev kit, just the package to make certain RPG maker games work both faster and easier, or in this case, a requirement to run the demo).
I'm currently a developer for Lurking Lizard Studios currently developing Predator's Coliseum.
We also have a public Discord chat!
DarkPinkie
---

Postby Tyslan03 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:14 pm

A few ideas, some based around locations or items rather than specific characters.

1. Ruins of another caravan. Scavenge supplies (food, weapons, spare parts ,etc...) or fight scavengers
2. Ruins of a town recently destroyed by monsters. Search for supplies or survivors, fight monsters
3. A farmhouse. Steal food, barter/recruit people
4. Roadside inn. Buy supplies, chance it's inhabited by preds
5. Come across some prey fighting a pred. Help the prey, help the pred, ignore and move on (lots of possibilities for rewards here)
6. Another caravan. Maybe they're like you and want to trade, maybe they're preds, maybe they're slavers, maybe you steal/forcibly take their stuff
7. A patch of forest. Hunt or gather or encounter a dryad
8. Find a mysterious potion. Random chance of Growth: party member becomes stronger and pred, Shrink: if morale is low, party member is eaten, Pheromones: attract a monster, Regeneration: party member recovers from death once, Transformation: party member becomes supplies
Tyslan03
Participator

Postby Isha » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:08 am

I might be able to get a C++ prototype working; I'm no good at art, but I can at least do the text and programming.

That being said, I'm caught up in a fairly involved Skyrim project at the moment, so I'm not necessarily saying 'I will'. Just...'I might, when I can find the time'.
Blood of the Pred is reborn for Devourment Refactor. Keep up to date at viewtopic.php?f=79&t=42376
Isha
Participator

Postby RossTheEmeraldFox » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:08 pm

Idea similar to others probably

"Déjà vu"

Run into your previous caravan characters all together and get those interactions

5% chance of this happening probably.

There.
RossTheEmeraldFox
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Appo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:21 am

Hello Bright,

I played your very early demo and I think there is a great foundation for a game here. The gameplay is very simple but I know how complex things can become with resource management given lots of decision making opportunities. I’ve reviewed your game demo as though what is currently released is representative of what you intend for the full game. That might not be true but this is how I’m approaching it.

I see three broad categories for games on Eka’s portal those being skill games, chance games and choice games. Skill games are not so well suited to RPG maker with the fantastic exception of the arena chase games in Halcyon’s game Nyan Adventures. Most games have some combination of chance games (battles against a hungry opponent with uncertain outcomes for your actions) and choice games (picking the correct dialogue options, discovering the correct path, talking to the correct people etc.).

Based on what’s contained within this demo I think you’re making a choice game. There are many games on Eka’s Portal like this where there are many branching options for the player and they have to reason themselves to victory. You’ve mixed in some resource management as well which is even more fun since the player is going to have multiple paths to victory or failure rather than just one set of choices for each. This is going to give the player more options to play around with, more frustration from going down dead ends, more satisfaction from finding solutions and lots of opportunities for obscure conditional endings. A great foundation.

Now as for criticisms there are a couple of things I didn’t like within the games broader theme which I’m enthusiastic about.

The art detracts from my attachment to the game quite a bit. If you’re going to use still images there are lots of monsters and monster girls with transparent backgrounds (or easily removed backgrounds) existing on the internet already. It’s not too much work on top of this to create a bulge or overlay a belly to show a prey being eaten, a trick that other creators have been implementing to great effect.

The premise of the game is also contrived to force the player to go on their journey. Obviously you will always have to contrive some reason for an adventure but it’s much better to entice the player to want to act rather than force them. Money, fame, power, adventure itself, and of course boobs are always great motivators that don’t force the player towards action rather they get the player choose it.

Most importantly if you’re going to make a choice game the dialogue ought to be a central pillar of the game. If you look to other games that revolve around choice be it one of Mysta’s catalogue of games, Salamoun’s God Complex, or RediQ’s Taste of Adventure these games all have rich dialogue. Particularly with Taste of Adventure you have a game that is nothing but a repeated series of 2 or 3 dialogue options yet the game is still really enjoyable because the dialogue is strong.

The weakness of choice games is that once you’ve encountered an ending it is no longer truly a game. You ‘replay’ a scene in the sense that you replay a movie not in the sense that you re-attempt a challenge. Continued enjoyment of the content comes from a love of the dialogue not gameplay. I think Voregon Trail falls afoul of both of these problems. The game has only bare bones dialogue which the player can be certain to receive once they’ve already tried an option.

In summary I think you’ve got a good premise for a game of choice, resource management, planning, and hopefully some hungry girls. However I’ll make a pitch on this game soon as I said I would. This pitch will be for a way you could create a game in the same vein of what you’ve started with here with more of a mix of chance and choice. Hopefully you will be inspired to include some of my suggestions.
Appo
Somewhat familiar

Postby Bright » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:29 pm

It is a fair review.

Glad you liked the premise.

I like to draw myself so I didn't really want to take images from the web and manipulate those.
Visit my artblog?
Spoiler: show
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Previous

Return to Vore game