Idea: Voregon trail, let's discuss (now with Demo))

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Idea: Voregon trail, let's discuss

Postby Thagrahn » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:34 pm

Jeschke wrote:
darkevilme wrote:I would caution those who want to make this game all things to all people that such is a goal that will make it much harder to make. I'm all for players playing as pred in games, obviously. But I suggest that for this game if putting the player in the prey spot will make the scope of the game tighter and therefore the thing more likely to get made then focus on that. An expansive gameplay range is nice, except when you accidentally drop the game design document and it leaves someone with a concussion.

Make it tight, make it focused, make it simple. If you manage to make a version that can represent the prey side then you can start worrying about making the flip of the coin update.

This, yeah.

Along those same lines, I'd imagine having just a random group of people (maybe you could set gender and species, just as a cosmetic thing?) without a captain might work best. Because then if the "captain" player is eaten, then the game just continues on, and it's assumed that someone else takes lead? It might work better than having one special character and then the rest all being different, or some sort of game over besides "everyone was eaten". But maybe I just want the possibility of this "captain" being eaten as opposed to them being safe, haha

Honestly, setting the race, gender, and job of the starting party could be interesting.

I still think the hunting needs to be altered some. Maybe have a chance for a pred to spawn as on of the creatures, and have it track the hunter. If the hunter kills the pred, it's now good for the caravan, but if the pred gets to the hunter first, then you need a new hunter to gather food.

An interesting option is to set multiple possible destinations, and check points that let you take different t paths. At each check point, you could have some people available to try to recruite into the caravan so it's not a race against the preds to safety. Recruite wisely based on what is needed, and watch out for the possibly of recruiting a pred in disguise.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Slate » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:32 pm

I like the idea, and have some ideas I would like to pitch in. I have taken the courtesy of sorting them appropriately

Actually Doable Ideas
Spoiler: show
1. Have different ending flavor text based on various variables (# of survivors, Time it took, Quality of adventure, etc...)
2. Upgrade-able wagon/Multiple Wagon choice
3. Hard mode (More predators, less diplomatic NPCs, etc...)
4. Community funded additions. Pay an amount, get an addition to the game. Could include towns, NPCs, Enemies, Beasts of burden, etc...
5. Random seed for adventure

And

Totally Overblown Ideas That Would Probably Cause an Actual Project To Crash And Burn, but Are Fun To Think About
1. An online multiplayer mode that allows one player to become a stalking predator that causes problems for the party that could include more than one person. Think Evolve, but the monster is toned way down.
2. A class/race system that affects the entirety of the games interactions.
3. Including EVERY vore type and variety.
Slate
Somewhat familiar

Postby Redatheart » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:10 am

This is brilliant! Loads of replay value potential as well
Redatheart
Participator

Postby 48th agent » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:30 am

Not having enough food should result in party members getting eaten by others, by your horses, and whatever other animals you brought along with you.
Never split the party!
48th agent
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Bright » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Potential ideas:
You start with a horse, but if you're really unlucky, the horse gets eaten and the whole caravan slows down to a crawl based on the amount of people in the caravan.

Potentially you can get a centaur who'd be stronger than a horse, but who'll run off with one of your people if you run out of food.

And then you'd have the Kelpie which eats one person eats day, but who drags the caravan like a champ.

Also, monster ideas.
birdperson.png
birdperson.png (7.53 KiB) Viewed 1992 times

werewoof.png
werewoof.png (6.83 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
Visit my artblog?
http://julienbrightsidesart.blogspot.no/
Bright
Heavy user

Postby Redatheart » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:50 pm

What if the monsters were more "monstergirl/monsterboy" in appearance?
Redatheart
Participator

Postby Bright » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Thought I'd just draw something generic as I didn't want to shun anyone away just yet.
Visit my artblog?
Bright
Heavy user

Postby DarkPinkie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Bright wrote:Thought I'd just draw something generic as I didn't want to shun anyone away just yet.

Indeed. Keeping it simple is probably best for now.

But as I am looking at it a lot of the suggestions are quite good. I highly doubt this could be made (in the scope that most players seem to want) in RPGmaker though. But then again, I don't know all the limitations of RPGmaker. Perhaps it's actually possible to make a remake of Oregon Trail on RPGmaker. But well see what happens.
I'm currently a developer for Lurking Lizard Studios currently developing Predator's Coliseum.
We also have a public Discord chat!
DarkPinkie
---

Postby Thagrahn » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:41 am

DarkPinkie wrote:But as I am looking at it a lot of the suggestions are quite good. I highly doubt this could be made (in the scope that most players seem to want) in RPGmaker though. But then again, I don't know all the limitations of RPGmaker. Perhaps it's actually possible to make a remake of Oregon Trail on RPGmaker. But well see what happens.

It could be possible in RPG maker, but you would have to make each section of the trail a strait line, and use an autorun event that performs the daily functions and advanced the party before allowing the player to try to hunt, trade, or make reticent choices.

You will need some basic coding to keep track of the parties location on the trail for events like hunting, scavaging, or exploring a settlement for recruitable characters. (The map stitching code trick could work here.)

Toggling between a sprite for the caravan, and a sprite for an individual can be done in the code as part of detracting an event that requires an individual. Duration or And Conditions could toggle it back to the caravan, and last reached point on the trail.

This means that the player could only make choices at the end of a day cycle, and would have to be active about continuing to travel each day.
____

Edit:
Looking at everything needed to be done, it becomes clear that this is a build suited for Game Maker instead of RPG Maker.
Last edited by Thagrahn on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby darkevilme » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:28 am

DarkPinkie wrote:
Bright wrote:Thought I'd just draw something generic as I didn't want to shun anyone away just yet.

Indeed. Keeping it simple is probably best for now.

But as I am looking at it a lot of the suggestions are quite good. I highly doubt this could be made (in the scope that most players seem to want) in RPGmaker though. But then again, I don't know all the limitations of RPGmaker. Perhaps it's actually possible to make a remake of Oregon Trail on RPGmaker. But well see what happens.

I recommend strongly NOT making it in rpgmaker. RPGmaker is VERY good at making one particular kind of game, but other than that it struggles. Even if you're unfamiliar with the alternative you'd probably spend as much time learning the ropes as you would trying to twist rpgmaker into the pretzel of a game genre it was never meant to do using workarounds and hacks and the game would be better for it.

Additionally rpgmaker would make the roguelike/procedural generation stuff harder to pull off which is another strike against it.
darkevilme
---

Re: Idea: Voregon trail, let's discuss (now with Demo))

Postby Bright » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:38 pm

Okay, here's a small demo.
https://www.mediafire.com/?5srmcj44ggqjn6f

If you got Rpgmaker yourself, you should be able to access the files and see how it was written.
Visit my artblog?
Bright
Heavy user

Postby DarkPinkie » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:09 am

Now with demo? Wha wo wut?

Bright. Either you work really damn quickly or you're messing with us. I'm calling it now. What I'll get once I download that file will be an MP4 with rickroll in it...

Edit: Well, it wasn't a rickroll... But if it was I would have lol'd.
I'm currently a developer for Lurking Lizard Studios currently developing Predator's Coliseum.
DarkPinkie
---

Postby Bright » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Now, I know that some of you don't think RPGmaker is a good tool, but it is the tool I'm comfortable working with when it comes to making games.

The demo takes like 5 minutes to go through as it is the barebones of mechanics, story and events. Just to show an example of how Voregon trail could work.
Visit my artblog?
Bright
Heavy user

Postby Thagrahn » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:14 pm

So many possible takes on this, and the ability to build it in two different Maker systems.

Could stay full prey, Pred/prey mix, or Full Pred. The variation is in the reason to travel, effects of hazards, and win/lose rewards.

Wonder how many variations will result from the first one being completed (when it gets completed)?
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby DarkPinkie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:28 am

The way it's set up right now would allow a bit of collaberation, kind of like an interactive story. That is if bright would allow it to be that way.

It does show quite a bit of potential so far.
DarkPinkie
---

Postby Bright » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:48 am

If you suggestions for encounters, scenery, itemz or characters, do tell me. Write them here.
Visit my artblog?
Bright
Heavy user

Postby DarkPinkie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:58 pm

Bright wrote:If you suggestions for encounters, scenery, itemz or characters, do tell me. Write them here.

Mermaids! Iz a muzt! MUZT! I tellz yah!
DarkPinkie
---

Postby Thagrahn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:53 pm

DarkPinkie wrote:
Bright wrote:If you suggestions for encounters, scenery, itemz or characters, do tell me. Write them here.

Mermaids! Iz a muzt! MUZT! I tellz yah!

Well, mermaids need water, so a route by a lagoon or bay is needed.

Other good locations would be a box canyon, an arid plateau, and a fertile valley. As for if what's at these three is up for suggestions.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby DarkPinkie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:03 pm

Thagrahn wrote:Well, mermaids need water, so a route by a lagoon or bay is needed.

Other good locations would be a box canyon, an arid plateau, and a fertile valley. As for if what's at these three is up for suggestions.

Lake mermaids would also be a possibility.

But yeah. Having many different types of terrain would be awesome. Jungles, deserts, marches, tundras. Just as a few examples.
DarkPinkie
---

Postby Thagrahn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:44 pm

... Going to need a map to put them in a somewhat logical order of key landmarks and terrains... The map doesn't have to be available in game, but could really help in planning routes and landmarks.
Thagrahn
Advanced Vorarephile

PreviousNext

Return to Vore game