Duamutef's Game Cartovore tips and advices

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

Re: Duamutef's Game Cartovore tips and advices

Postby GoddessViolet » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:03 am

Oh I'm absolutely rebuilding from scratch. I know better than to try and untangle that spaghetti mess. Knowing that it's HTML-based, though, gives me a starting point, because while I don't want to necessarily use Cartovore 2 as a foundation, I would like to use it as a blueprint. If nothing else, seeing how the internal scripting language the card editor uses is put together, would help me when it comes time to figure out how I want to implement such things. The beauty of the Cartovore engine is that by default, it's system agnostic. If you had a ton of time on your hands, you COULD use it to play, say, Magic: the Gathering instead of Cartovore. Why you would actually do that is beyond me, but the functionality is there, and that's an attractive feature to me. It leaves the door wide open for future innovation.
GoddessViolet
Been posting for a bit

Postby Maexam2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:29 am

Good idea. Though I don't know the first thing about Systems or Magic the Gathering. Anyway, when the time comes when you need pictures, just give a shout and I'll be glad to provide you with some. A fe of them made by yours truly. XD. And again, good luck. Oh! And before I forget! HAPPY NEW YEARS FOR EVERYONE!!!!
Maexam2
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Whereaminow27 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:19 pm

Dammit, Now I really want to know if this is going to be possible. Remake, Revamp, Updates, Oh My.
Whereaminow27
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby GoddessViolet » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:27 am

Oh, it's absolutely POSSIBLE. It's just a matter of how many man-hours are required.

Obviously, I'd be willing to collaborate with anyone interested. I'm sure half of you at a bare minimum are way better coders than me, anyways. xD
GoddessViolet
Been posting for a bit

Postby Whereaminow27 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:02 am

Any information, or news on update or remake?
Whereaminow27
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Maexam2 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:28 am

Whereaminow27 wrote:Any information, or news on update or remake?

Dude/Gal, have patience! A game of this kind takes an average of 2 to 4 months to make. As I remember, Duamutef took about 6 months to make this one. If you read the previous posts, then you'll see that this game will be remade practically from scratch. Thus, it will take LONG to make it. So have a little patience please.
Maexam2
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Maexam2 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:31 am

GoddessViolet wrote:Oh, it's absolutely POSSIBLE. It's just a matter of how many man-hours are required.

Obviously, I'd be willing to collaborate with anyone interested. I'm sure half of you at a bare minimum are way better coders than me, anyways. xD

Hey GV! Here's a bug you may want to correct for your version. See, it's like this, I was trying to make a custom card, but them my game crashed before I could complete it! Not only that but, when I went to play it again, part of my progress had been erased! It's not the first time it has happened to me, and I've had other people talk to me with the same problem. It seems that the amount of progress erased is random.
Maexam2
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby GoddessViolet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:45 pm

Maexam2 wrote:
Whereaminow27 wrote:Any information, or news on update or remake?

Dude/Gal, have patience! A game of this kind takes an average of 2 to 4 months to make. As I remember, Duamutef took about 6 months to make this one. If you read the previous posts, then you'll see that this game will be remade practically from scratch. Thus, it will take LONG to make it. So have a little patience please.

This. Abso-fucking-lutely this. Honestly, I haven't even touched a compiler yet, and won't for some time. You would be shocked to learn how much work goes into a program of any kind before a single line of code is written. Right now, the name of the game is flowcharts. Lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of flowcharts. And each item on that chart will eventually get broken down into its own individual flowchart, and this process will very likely continue for some time. Questions like "What are the rules of the game?" and "What kinds of actions can a player take on their turn" need to be answered, in depth, and I'll probably design many cards before I can get a real sense of how I want the actual card interpreter to work. Reminder that there will likely be much room for customization, so I need to design the engine from the ground up to accommodate for that sort of thing, and that requires not making any assumptions on the kind of data that will be passed in. And even seemingly simple tasks are never so.

It's like trying to teach a robot, for example, what it means to be a human. You have to explain, in great detail, things like eating, sleeping, going to school, etc. To eat, the robot has to be taught how to actually eat food properly (you don't, for example, put it on top of your head and expect anything to happen), what sorts of things can and cannot be eaten, what sorts of things should and should not be eaten, how to prepare food. Even something like making a peanut butter sandwich is an ordeal--each step has to be outlined, in such detail as "raise right arm along vector A for distance B in direction C," and the robot has to be taught, for instance, what is and what is not peanut butter, or it might mistakenly pick up a jar of mayo instead. Or if you're really unlucky, a jar of paint.

Basically, if you want to know how things are going, I'd just subscribe to the thread--I'll definitely make a post when there's progress, but that'll be quite some ways away.
GoddessViolet
Been posting for a bit

Postby GoddessViolet » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:49 pm

So right now, the crux of my work is in actually figuring out how I want the cards to look. I want to have every card planned out and designed before I start work on the code structure. I've also been compiling a spreadsheet of all the cards in the current version of the game, and what I'm seeing is that the cards are all over the place in their design. Which kind of confirms my initial suspicions, but it's actually worse than I thought. I don't really have any regrets about tossing the entire set out and rebuilding. I think it'll improve the game balance, potentially clean up some pretty egregious bugs ("Fast mana" cards and other cost reduction effects outright don't work, for instance) and improve user friendliness. I've seen quite a few cards, for example, that either don't do what they say they do, or do something and don't mention it at all. Emily, for example, has a 1% chance to eat every creature on the field at once when she's first played. Her description simply says "Emily looks like a frail little girl, but looks can be deceiving..." Looks can be deceiving, sure, but card text should not be.
GoddessViolet
Been posting for a bit

Postby Squall » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:27 am

We can still use the names of the characters and their flavor texts and their abilities. I also understand much of the world he created, so I can think of possible characters to populate it. I can also offer my services as a writer/editor. I definitely would like a new version of this game. I can also imagine it in vr. Just ask if there's anything I can help with.
Unbirth, Mausiophile, Vore...
We all have our choices, so let's have fun with them.
Squall
Somewhat familiar

Postby Undeadresearcher14 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:27 pm

I have a minor question in regards to just running the game itself. It keeps showing the pop up that says; Cannot fine 'file:///'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.

This is then followed by another pop up reading: Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range.

I am not as technically savy as a few of you on this thread so I was just curious if there was a way of fixing this up at all.
Undeadresearcher14
New to the forum

Postby Zond » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:06 am

Hello comrades
someone is not difficult
give me the latest version ctv2 + :-D
mod to increase boobs and fairies (I do not remember what it is called) ^^;
Attachments
g1352217865361546904.jpg
g1352217865361546904.jpg (22.93 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Sorry, I use translator >.<