The Hunt--UPDATE 26DEC--v0.20.9 (source code released!)

Forum for the Vore games, and other downloads
Forum rules
Don't ask about updates. If there is an update, it will simply be posted. If someone is committing to a timeline, they will just tell you the timeline without needing anyone to ask.

Use Looking for master thread when you are not posting about an existing game.

You use this forum and website at your own risk for all links and uploads. There is no quality control or malware scanning or testing done here. Proceed with caution and use a virtual machine (VM) for any uploads strongly recommended. Virus/malware scanners alone are generally not good enough.

The Hunt--UPDATE 26DEC--v0.20.9 (source code released!)

Postby Marzseaz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:59 am

deleted
Last edited by Marzseaz on Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:24 am, edited 38 times in total.
Marzseaz
Been posting for a bit

Re: The Hunt: Eat or Be Eaten - Alpha v0.15 (pred, prey, fer

Postby dusterrr » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:00 am

seems like i can't take the branch.
is that the end of the demo?
dusterrr
Been posting for a bit

Postby nanakra » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:04 am

That was short but fun. I do enjoy a good text game every now and then.

Suggestions:
1) Digestion mechanics could use some expanding. Have a belly with 30,000 capacity is a little odd, not to mention nothing happens to indicate a food deficit. Perhaps implement a calorie based system based off of a species list? For example: As a fairy, I'd expect that a small bunny would fill my belly entirely. Maybe through magic and what not my belly is a bit stretchier than it would be otherwise. Let's say there are a few stats. Meal size, Meal calorie, stomach capacity (how large of a meal it can hold), Digestion time, Digestive efficiency, Calories absorbed, Fat stores, hunger. Let's take the fairy and the small bunny. The fairy has a stomach cap of say 50. The bunny is small which would give it a size of say 48. Fairy swallows bunny. The fairy is too encumbered and can't move until it digest a bit. The fairy's digestive efficiency is say 75%. The bunny has 2500 calories. It takes the fairy several hours to fully digest the poor bunny and the fairy ends up absorbing 1875 calories of which say half of that is stored as fat. At this point the fairy is not hungry and is sated. Time passes and as the fairy goes through the calories not store as fat it's hunger rating changes until it hits hungry status. At this point it starts pulling calories from fat. If it doesn't eat and reaches 0 calories in fat then game over, dead fairy. Maybe too complex, but I like complexity.

2) More digestion stages. Would be nice to have multiple stages for that poor bunny to go through. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd like to turn the poor bunny into sparkly fairy droppings. I'll understanf if that's not implemented though.

3) A species list to choose from that has different stats. Sure it's nice to say I'm a fairy, but it'd be cooler if it meant I had stats too. This would make it so instead of intimidating the wolf or soothing the bear, I could fight them or zap them with magic. Which would also give more of a reason to be eating things. Recovering MP and HP, maybe temp perks, some banes to fighting with a full stomach, etc.

Bugs:

I did find a couple of bugs.
1) After getting the branch from the bear, if you drop it, you are not able to pick it back up. You get a script error with it checking to see if the bear is disturbed.
2) At the end of the game, when you go south from the starting point, it gives a script error about generating a bunny.
3) At the end, if you go north then east where the rocks are, it gives a script msg as the description.
4) at the end of the game, if you go back to dislodge the snowdrift, you get a script error.
Where to find me - My Link Tree | Discord: Nanakra#6922

On the development team for: Predator's Coliseum An RPG Maker vore game
nanakra
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby dusterrr » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:11 am

nevermind.
dusterrr
Been posting for a bit

Postby player1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Good stub , keep it up. also, there's a dialog error if you accidentally drop the branch before jamming it on the boulder which prevents you from picking it back up
"wizards, no sense of right or wrong!" some spacemen wisdom.
player1
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Whereaminow27 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Except for Details and stuff. It looks like it will be an excellent game ! ! ! !!
Whereaminow27
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby kongpow » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Marzseaz wrote: "I want to focus on the main mechanic of the game: the player's belly."

I like this.
Devourment v.65d Legacy Pack

http://tinyurl.com/z3faw96

^^^LINK TO THE DOWNLOAD/GUIDE^^^

Cheers!
kongpow
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Netjak » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:29 pm

A lot of awesome details, good writing and world design! Also, loved the fact that you could do things outside of the main objective, like with the bear and the bridge. I am still wondering if you can eat the wolf too, and I am just not seeing how :P

There were some minor bug though, like when trying to traverse the narrow cliffside back with a too big belly, it just said. 'east', instead of explaining why you can't pass, as it did going west. Also, capacity and digestion speed seems a little weird still, as I went down to 0 capacity, aka, empty belly, and I still had the stag and other creatures digesting inside. While most were dead, I regurgitated the stag and it walked away relatively unharmed.
Netjak
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby Marzseaz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! Unfortunately I'm back at work this week, so production will slow down a little, but I'll try to fix those bugs as soon as possible.

@nanakra:
Thanks! In response to your suggestions...
1. The player's max capacity is less of a representation of how full the player feels, and how much food they require to survive, and more the player's strength (i.e their ability to carry a heavier belly) and the stretching of their stomach (so they can hold more). I'm hesitant to add too much complexity to this system because it's one the central mechanics of the game, and should be easily understood. However a superficial calorie/weight gain system could definitely be implemented in the future, but it would only really affect the player's description, as it's not something everyone will want to engage with.

The plan for the main loop of the game to be a cycle of the player engaging in hunts to find larger prey, which in turn expands their capacity and unlocks more areas of the game.Currently the rate at which the player can gain capacity isn't very balanced, that's something I'll need to address. However I don't want to encourage people to eat 5000 rabbits just to gain capacity, so I'll have to do some experimentation.

2. It's not my thing personally, but I understand that people like it. I'll gradually be implementing more things like that as the core systems of the game become more complete.

3. Unfortunately, the player's species will be almost entirely superficial. I can't really balance for every species that people are interested in playing. However I would like to include more options for people to customise their character and the descriptions of their actions.

@netjak:
Ah good, you found it! I'd like to include more things off the main path, like the bear, in the future. Currently there isn't any way to eat the wolf, unfortunately.
Marzseaz
Been posting for a bit

Postby vore2412 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Couldn't use the branch on the boulder, I had the branch and it would not allow for the use option on that screen.
vore2412
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby GramzonTheDragon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:57 pm

vore2412 wrote:Couldn't use the branch on the boulder, I had the branch and it would not allow for the use option on that screen.

"use branch on boulder" is the command
GramzonTheDragon
Intermediate Vorarephile

Postby vore2412 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Will try again, took a while to get branch from bear...and then I dropped it and got that bug, so went back and got nommed by bear :D

Tried again, and it took me a minute to remember the other areas I visited and figure out how to get through, but I got it done, finished what I think is the current release of the game.
vore2412
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Marked » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:14 am

Very very cool game! I appreciated the way that using stomach contents to solve puzzles was handled. I feel like the stomach capacity could do with some optimization, as others have said, but that will come with time. I always love the chance to play a pred in these kinds of games, so I really enjoyed myself. Only a shame I couldn't eat the wolf or bear yet :gulp:
Marked
Advanced Vorarephile

Postby Marzseaz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:20 am

Thanks guys, fixing that branch bug is my top priority.

@Marked: Thanks! That last sentence is only half true though. ;)
Marzseaz
Been posting for a bit

Postby QuickDeath007 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:41 am

Neat project you've got going here. Normally not interested in digestion or fatality, but hunting wild animals and being able to fit more in your belly the more you eat? And digestion can be toggled? Definitely interested to see where this goes. Adventuring until you're able to fit an entire town's worth of people in your gut is a worthy aspiration for anyone.

A quick note, if you're doing regular alpha releases, something I feel most of us would enjoy is, once you reach the end of released content in a given version, being able to enjoy a sort of god mode. For instance, in this version, eat the stag, make the rope ladder, and attempt to return to the unfinished village or where ever you came from. At that point, with nothing else to do, there's a special object present that allows us to summon prey. Liked eating the stag? You beat the demo, you get to do it again. Liked eating all those rabbits? All you can eat buffet, none of the work. I don't know how much work that'd take, but if it doesn't impede on other things, it's something to do while we wait for another version.
QuickDeath007
New to the forum

Postby Marzseaz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:17 am

I've fixed the branch bug, and threw in a little extra descriptive text. I haven't had much time to work on this tonight I'm afraid, because my computer is having some serious problems.

@QuickDeath007: Thanks. I can't promise that anything like the god mode you suggested will be implemented soon, but I'll keep that in mind for future updates. The content is pretty limited at the moment, I know, but as soon as I've refined a couple of mechanics I plan to start building a new area with new encounters.

Unfortunately you can't actually disable digestion just yet, but it shouldn't be difficult to implement. I'll get on that soon.
Marzseaz
Been posting for a bit

Postby hibbyjibby » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:30 am

I can't believe I sat there and clicked over 1,000 times on the "Massage" option for the stomach. But I was determined (and eventually failed cause I got tired of it) to digest that stag. In the words of the great Homer Simpson, "I can't believe I ate the whole thing".

So what do I think? It was pretty enjoyable, man. It was definitely easy to see this was more of a sample, a teaser of sorts to show us what you can do, and you're quite good at describing a location and scene in great detail. Plus, I enjoyed the fact that it included things that WEREN'T just eating/being eaten, with the rudimentary puzzles and logic thinking you had to do to traverse the map. I really liked that, it gave a sense of space and size.

However, it wasn't a completely perfect experience either.The stomach capacity to prey weight ratio is, a little unusual to me. Eating a rabbit and salmon together, I don't think would cause you to be unable to move, though that might just be my perspective. Also, there were a surprisingly frequent amount of grammar and spelling errors, like with "You stand on the edge of A ICY cascade" is grammatically incorrect. Yes I know this is a nitpick, but stuff like this is still something worth bringing to attention with a game that's all about text. Along with that, I got a few error messages, such as the aforementioned one showing up after I had eaten the stag. It was in that exact format, and clearly it's not correct now. It also showed up when heading west over the bridge after I had set it up.

msg ("You stand on the edge of a icy cascade, looking out over the treetops. Down below you
can see the path that you followed before.
")

So, after hopefully ironing out the bugs, anything you could improve or perhaps add? I'd love to see something like a stats system for your character. I think it'd be far better for the player, to really specialize in a certain way with how they want to approach, and devour prey. Boost your Charisma to persuade or calm people/creatures to let you get closer them, before you go in for the killing blow? What about Fortitude or Speed to let you outlast or outrun your prey, and using force to consume them? Or even use your Strength to overwhelm prey and consume them aggressively, as well as having an easier time keeping them down or regurgitating them.

I think it'd be better than what seemed to be random chance at whether you were successful or not at something. Might be a little -too- videogamey but, I feel it'd let the player have more control over their characters and how they develop.

And course, reworking the ratio of prey to fullness, that goes without saying. That, and maybe people prey. I'm personally not into swallowing animals whole (Even if I love me a good chicken sandwich or salad, mind you) even if it's a little more believable to write about. Also, grammar and spelling. If it sounds weird to say stuff out loud, it'll sound weird reading it in a book. Or in this case, a computer screen.

Overall I'd say it was a success, because it left me wanting to see if there was anything else, and I was disappointed when there wasn't! Haha, actually made me decided to just feed my character to the bear after it all, seeing as it was the only 'real' ending (boy is she in for a rough time now). Keep up the good work man, I'd love to see more of this.
(●`ε´●) Only have one Waifu, because having more will ruin your life-u (。・`ω´・。)!!
hibbyjibby
Somewhat familiar

Postby Marzseaz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:32 am

I've gone through a corrected a number of spelling errors, but I'm certain there are many more I've missed and I haven't really checked grammar yet. Consider anything that's currently written a first draft.

I agree about the player's weight/capacity not being balanced correctly. Trying to find the right balance will probably be an ongoing process, rather than a single change. I've based the animal's current sizes on their real-life average weights, so I'll probably keep them around where they are for now, only because I like having a consistent scale between animals.

You're also right about the encounters needing a change. The current randomised system is a placeholder. Some time soon I'll probably stop these mini-updates and get to work on v0.16, which will probably be a revamp of the 'combat' system. There won't be a stat system for now, because that would probably require a levelling system, and that's something I'm trying to avoid for a few different reasons. That said I hope to include more interesting ways to interact with prey.

Thanks for the thorough review! That's a really big help.
Marzseaz
Been posting for a bit

Postby Greg432 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:45 pm

Very good, but very much still an Alpha. With a bit of tlc, this has great potential!
Greg432
New to the forum

Postby Arbon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:47 pm

I like the concept, I love the map, and its actually a well designed adventure for what we get. Especially compared to a number of twine stories that try to be everything and end up bland in every aspect.

My only real preference is that I would prefer being eaten to be as involving as eating someone else, instead of just an instant death play out a scene in which your predator is off doing their own thing and accomplishing some goal of their own. Have the predator occasionally sit down and massage their stomach to speed digestion the same way you do. Have melting away inside the predator be turn based with you taking actions and the pred responding, even if nothing you do or say actually saves you from the belly of most preds. If said interaction with prey after you've eaten them can be expanded, all the better.

If vore is the main focus then a full on ending sequence as opposed to a few paragraphs and a game over would make it more engaging to play through.
Arbon
Been posting for a bit

Next

Return to Vore game